Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ray is for my money the funniest character on the show and I wish they'd use him more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Frostwerks posted:

Ray is for my money the funniest character on the show and I wish they'd use him more.

I just hope he's still alive.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They've run out of supporting characters to brutally cull from the series, so how they have to move on to the main cast.

Season seven will end with just Archer and Lana, plus Mallory occasionally heard over the phone.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Do we know whether Archer has been renewed past this season? I know that it got two seasons after Archer Vice and this is gonna be the second of those. We'll have to see where things go, but I'm sorta hoping this is its last season and that it can wrap everything up nicely. Even though last season was better than the two that came before it, the fact that they're blacklisted from spying might mean that the gang doesn't have a lot of options left, which means that the creators might be running out of material. And even though FXX is pretty much now the home for non-Louie comedy series instead of just their B channel for shows that are old or not as popular, making the jump to that channel can't inspire confidence.

New York ComicCon is around the corner, so I'm sure we'll hear some updates soon enough.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 6, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I would have thought we would have been past the "let's spring the final season on the showrunners without forewarning" but I guess not. Seriously, unless you're hemorrhaging viewers and it's affecting ad sales in a likewise manner, give them a couple seasons to come to a somewhat organic conclusion. It produces much, much stronger and satisfying endings that usually wrap up most if not all character arcs in an agreeable manner.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

True, there's no need to rush things. As I said, last season was an improvement, so it's not like Archer needs a mercy killing... at least not yet. We'll see how this season goes.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's one more after this one. If FX(X) isn't breathing down Adam's neck, it's ultimately his call about when he wants to end it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Season 7 premieres March 31.

http://www.thewrap.com/archer-sets-season-7-premiere-date/

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
In sadder news :(

http://www.avclub.com/article/fxs-cassius-and-clay-drives-post-apocalyptic-sunse-230289

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I would have beaten the drum for that show so much.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

quote:

Industry experts continue to agree that women just aren’t funny

Really? Come on Journalism.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Really? Come on Journalism.

That's a sarcastic comment on the industry. The AV Club is staunchly feminist.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Was the pilot ever put online anywhere to view?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I was wondering when it was. Usually we'd be getting new episodes by now, but Always Sunny and Man Seeking Woman are taking up FXX.
I'm not worried. Adam Reed will probably be shopping around for another network, and FX's loss will very likely be someone else's gain. Don't forget, FX also passed on Broad City.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Netflix or Hulu, I really need you to step up on this.

Also what the gently caress FX, afraid it would cut into your reruns of Two and a Half Men time?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Megan Ganz said it wasn't FX

https://twitter.com/meganganz/status/684486713981427716

There was word that the production hit an impassible road block for some reason. There weren't any other details. But I doubt it's going to show up anywhere because of that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
How the gently caress do you hit an "impassable roadblock" in a greenlit animated show from a well-known showrunner? :wtc:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Here's a more complete quote from Ganz.

quote:

"The project was really great but the process wasn't, through no fault of FX. Sometimes the chemistry is just off. I left the project in October and wished them the best of luck with it. I'm sorry to see it's officially over. I thought (and still think) it would be a really great show. But I enjoyed working with the writing staff I hired to C&C and I hope I get the opportunity to run a room again. For the time being, I've fled to England to regroup and start researching my next project. I hope you and TV are alive to see it."

It sounds like the show self destructed behind the scenes.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Y-Hat posted:

Don't forget, FX also passed on Broad City.

They did? Christ, is there anything they can't cock up?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My boss likes to use the wonderful one two punch of not saying poo poo and then getting mad when no one knows what he wants.

Been re-watching the first couple of seasons and the way Cyril talks to Malory is uncomfortably familiar to me.

I need a new job.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I used to say to my old boss, You're not my wife, use your loving words.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Here's a more complete quote from Ganz.

It sounds like the show self destructed behind the scenes.

Do you think it's because women don't like each other?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Red Oktober posted:

They did? Christ, is there anything they can't cock up?
It was a dumb thing to pass on in retrospect, but Broad City or not, FX(X) still has a lot of shows worth watching. What they really passed on was the chance to be the first network to promote women in comedy to the next level. Now Comedy Central is.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GORDON posted:

Do you think it's because women don't like each other?

Huh?

Not sure where you got that from that quote. Shows just sometimes don't work out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bull3964 posted:

Huh?

Not sure where you got that from that quote. Shows just sometimes don't work out.

Pretty sure it was a joke along the lines of the "women aren't funny" thing from earlier. That's one of those things people say.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

How the gently caress do you hit an "impassable roadblock" in a greenlit animated show from a well-known showrunner? :wtc:

The same thing happened with the Xtacles though; they stopped production after what, two episodes?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

The same thing happened with the Xtacles though; they stopped production after what, two episodes?
Frisky Dingo wasn't Adam Reed's big break though, was it? That was Archer.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Edit: NVM

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So it's gonna stay on FX after all. That makes sense- you can catch old episodes of Archer on Comedy Central, and I think a couple of other networks too, so naturally, they want to capitalize on that audience.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

X_Toad posted:

Frisky Dingo wasn't Adam Reed's big break though, was it? That was Archer.

No, Sealab 2021 was what put him on TV map. Xtacles crashed because Adam Reed was burned out working with CN and took a surprise sabbatical to be with his family. Without him at the helm production kind of faltered and CN have the production company an ultimatum to air what they had or have funding cut.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Time for a new thread yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhaEowME4T0

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not available in this country? I'm in America you dipshits, where your channel is based.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Archer PI? That could work.

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

And for the rest of the world : https://vid.me/QAjz

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Keep in mind the last time Archer made a major Magnum, P.I. reference was Placebo Effect.

This could be something amazing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Archer and friends as freelance detectives sounds like a pretty good set up, I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Also, I'm glad Ray is still alive. I was a little affraid he might die in that wheelbarrow at the end of last season.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I'm guessing that shot around 0.08 was another reference to the Laotian jungle thing that's never going to play out in the real series?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
They went to a shitload of effort for that promo, incidentally: Side by side comparison (fixed!)

They did a shitload more facial animation than they usually do just to match what was in that trailer. You didn't need that, really, but holy crap am I happy they did it.

EricBauman posted:

I'm guessing that shot around 0.08 was another reference to the Laotian jungle thing that's never going to play out in the real series?

Nah, that's just a shot at 0.08 in the original opener. They went to ridiculous lengths for this.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 2, 2016

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Mo0 posted:

They went to a shitload of effort for that promo, incidentally: Side by side comparison

Link is not working for me.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

spoon daddy posted:

Link is not working for me.

God dammit, I was hoping that was just me. I think YoutubeDoubler's being weird. Hold on.

Does this one work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks like they're doing more 3D scenes too, like the car in the woods bit.

Doesn't look bad, but it's a bit jarring when bookended by the more typical Archer art style.

• Locked thread