Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Hot 0 | Cold -1 | Volatile 1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

"Like he's possessed, duh. Seems pretty obvious to me. Might as well have been puking up pea soup."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Playbook
Hot 2 | Cold -1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm 0/4 | Experience 1/5 | Conditions:

Possessed! Can that really happen? Maybe she's just been watching too many horror movies. "Maybe we can help him, figure out something to solve this for him. Right?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Playbook
Hot -1 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark 2
Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions:

"Possessed?" I try real hard not to look at Violet. "Are you sure he's not just, y'know... regular crazy?"

I'm not really sure how to take that. I guess it's not actually weirder than ghosts.

"Maybe the school chaplain can help? With, like... holy water?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hot 1 | Cold -1 | Volatile 2 | Dark -1

As I help Victoria up, I can't help but notice how even now she still looks good. That and with the absence of the usual smells from outdoors, the scents of her perfume and shampoo are coming through stronger then usual-wait, this is not the time to think about this. Seems like Victoria and her crew have things under control and I'd rather not just awkwardly stand here and watch. Maybe I should go back and actually see if the others are outside like I told Mr. de Luna I would?

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions:

I shrug. "That's what speaking in tongues means, right? Like it's somebody else talking for you? Besides, the little poo poo looked scared." I wonder if Mr. S knows what's up with that. I should ask him the next time I get a closer look at Eddie. "Could probably beat an answer out of him if you really wanna know."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Hot 2 | Cold 1 | Volatile -1 | Dark -1

I grab Zach's hand to help lever myself up. Yes, I'm slow about it. How do you think I get people in my group? I put on my barest of smiles for him, something reserved but appreciative, a bit enigmatic. But priorities. I move up to Amanda's side and slide an arm around her. "He found out, didn't he?" I ask her, softly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

"Maybe you should have these family meetings at home," says Mr. de Luna, as Jackie, Toby, Alex, and Violet turn round the corner. "Outside for roll call. Now." He herds you all through the exit, onto the hard snowy ground, and pulls his tweed jacket a little tighter around him. As soon as he sees you fall into some rough approximation of a line, he checks your names off a list and ignores you, striking up a conversation with Amanda's homeroom teacher. Stuck out in the cold, between dead frosty grass and a dull grey sky, there's nothing to do but complain to each other, and wait for Ms. Lee to decide there is no fire, everyone's accounted for, and you've all been tortured enough during your first day back at school.

Victoria's stepping out of line has gone unnoticed. Amanda is already pulling herself together, now that you're here and Daryl has pissed off. But she's also got the look of a child who did something she shouldn't, and knows she has to fess up to Mommy. "He called me before Christmas...I just didn't have anyone to talk to. I just couldn't pretend like nothing ever happened."

Freddy Miller is tired of waiting for something to happen. It's too bad he didn't notice the scene with Daryl; it might have kept him entertained. Instead, he's been waiting not so patiently with the rest of Mr. de Luna's homeroom. At the back of the line. At the top of the hill. He feels the sudden impulse to entertain himself with a different game: dominoes.

The first sound is a yelp out of Dave Saunders as Freddy's hands hit his back and knocks the wind out of him. Dave goes flying into Leon, who takes down Carla, and so on down the line. He doesn't take out the entire class, but by the time Violet catches Toby to steady him, half the class has hit the dirt. Alex, having naturally found his way over to Laura, winds up underneath her on the cold ground. As Jackie helps Hiral to his feet, they find someone's crushed his glasses underfoot. Freddy, for his part, isn't laughing or even smiling. If you're close enough to see, only a twinkle in his eye gives away how inordinately pleased he is with himself.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Playbook

I glare up the hill at Freddy. "Hey, watch yourself, rear end in a top hat! Someone could have gotten hurt!"

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I barely take the time to make sure Toby's not gonna fall on his rear end when I let go of him. He's still shouting when I'm already stomping my way past the toppled line. gently caress that loving dumbass and his smug look. "Oh someone's gonna be hurt alright." I mumble. His buddies aren't around since everyone's grouped by homeroom and this is the perfect excuse to put that dipshit back in his place. "Hey Fucktard!" I shout as I come up to him, focusing on my clenched fist and the feeling of heat gathering in my palm. I leave him no room to answer before slamming my fist into his stomach. Either he didn't see it coming at all or I'm just that good, probably both, but all the air goes out of him as he falls to his knees. "loving hilarious." I hiss at him.

Invoking Elsewise Power to emulate Unknowable.
2d6+1: 10 [2d6=3, 6]
Burning the string Freddy has on Violet into ashes. And in turn giving one to Mr. S
Also marking experience. Also dealing 1 Harm to Freddy and making him Hold Steady if he wants to retaliate.

Atropha fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 15, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Playbook

"That's what you get for messing with us!"

I refrain from pointing and laughing, but only barely.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I'm going back to where the rest of the class is when I see two things: One, that the rest of the group is back with the class. Guess they finished whatever they were going after. And two, Freddy Miller thinking he's hilarious and knocking everyone down. I start heading up to Freddy.

"Hey, what's your prob-"

And then Violet runs up and socks him in the gut. Today is my day for walking into situations where someone is hitting someone else I guess. I still walk over to the two of them, just in case Freddy decides to fight back. It looks like he's not going to though. That was a really good punch. Not that I'm actually going to say that aloud to Violet, but it kinda was.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions:

Mr. de Luna didn't seem that mad that we were gone, but he did seem sarcastic. I'm not sure if that's better. I hurry over to grab a place in line next to Laura, who smiles at me before going back to blowing in her hands. "Aren't you cold?" she asks me. That's when I look down and realize I'm not wearing a jacket, just a flannel overshirt over my t-shirt. I look around and realize that i can see everyone's breath steaming in the air. And suddenly, just like that, I'm cold. Freezing.

Being a ghost is like that. Like the world is your half-assed stepdad. Most of the time, it ignores you like you aren't even there, and then all at once you get it's attention and it's like it feels guilty and has to make up for forgetting about you. The cold hits me like a spike through the back; not real cold, but the memory of cold. Ghost-cold.

I cross my arms over my chest and start to shiver, when suddenly kids are flying everywhere. Laura lands on top of me, pinning my arms to my chest. To her chest too. Um.

There's a lot of eye shadow about an inch from my face, and girly-softness on top of me and I start to blush. So much blushing. So awkward.

Might as well make the most of it. Rolling with Hot to try to Turn Someone On: 2d6-1 = 5. Super klutzy, gone girl.

Marking 1 XP for rolling a highlighted stat

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Wonderful. I should be angry at Amanda. Furious. We agreed not to talk about it. I kept my end of the deal. What's her excuse!?

But...

...Amanda. No, I can bitch her out later. Not here. She's always been loyal and deserves that much. I give Amanda a squeeze and pull her in close, so I can whisper in her ear. "I'm glad you told me the truth," I say. "Come to the house after school, my room. We can talk there, okay?" Just enough edge to know she'll be getting a talking too, not so much she's too afraid to come. It's a fine line.

Amanda's starting to calm down, Gwen and Karen are with me and crisis averted. At least until Dave gets smacked hard by Freddy. It happens out of the corner of me eye and then half the drat class is going down like bowling pins. "What fresh hell is this?" I mutter. My girls, they know what to do and we move in like a clenched first towards Freddy....

...Violet's got the fist thing down, apparently. I can hear the dull, wet smack in Freddy's stomach.

"gently caress yeah, Vi," I say, as me and the gang comes up into the fracas. "You gonna stay down?" Gwen growl, rolling up her sleeves.

Shutting down Freddy
Shut Down Freddy: 2d6+1 13
Holy shnikies. Freddy will get the condition Rogue Actor
XP marked.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Freddy's been in some fights, but most people don't go for body shots. Girls, especially. Violet's not most girls. He trips, backwards up the hill, and promptly throws up down the front of his jacket. There's a lot of shouting from everyone now. Teachers are barking orders that no one really hears. Some students are delighted, more are dismayed, and Ester squeals just for the sake of being dramatic. But Hiral isn't content to just make noise. In a moment he's standing next to Violet. "God drat it, Freddy!" he growls, but when he looks down at the larger boy, pathetic and covered in his own puke, he doesn't know what to do with his anger. He settles for an ineffectual kick in Freddy's side. When he looks up and sees Victoria and her friends, he blushes in embarrassment, then turns and stomps back down the hill fuming. "gently caress this," he mutters as he passes Toby. He looks ready to cry.

Alex doesn't hear or see any of this. All she can see, hear, or feel is Laura, who is...warm. And very close. But the shock of being covered by her causes Alex to tense up until it occurs to her that she's squeezing Laura way too hard. She can't think straight. Laura leans in, and Alex can't see anything but her green kohl-rimmed eyes growing wider and wider. But she smells like vanilla and too much makeup and strawberries and that's when Laura steals a gentle kiss, just for a split-second, before pushing herself up on Alex's shoulders. That's when Alex realizes something is...wet, and hears the sound of her own hair snaking about wildly in the grass.

Alex jerks up with a throbbing pain in the back of her head. She clutches at it without thinking while her hair continues to blow in a nonexistent breeze. She must have landed on a rock, because the back of her head is oozing blood. Just like

"I guess it sounds stupid now, but I didn't see any reason to go on living after Kurt Cobain died."

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution

Hot 1 | Cold 0 | Volatile 1 | Dark -1

Playbook

Don't get me wrong - I'm certainly no fan of Freddy's grade-school bullshit, but after so many near-misses, I wasn't going to chance getting the whole bunch of us in trouble.

But Vi and Victoria are all about it, apparently. I kind of shuffle behind where they're tormenting him and whisper.

"Christ, couldn't you guys have waited like, five minutes? When we're not all in convenient, easily viewable lines? drat it..."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

So it seems like everything's been handled. I suppose. The rest of the class is enjoying the show, and - wait hold on what's up with Alex? Is she bleeding? Can ghosts even do that? And her hair...!

These thoughts are racing through my head as I run over to her. I quickly scoop her up.

"Alex! Are you all right?! Uh, uh, let's go to the nurse!"

I'm putting on a show of acting more panicked then I really am. I don't know if she's actually injured, but somehow I doubt it would be a good thing for everyone to see what's happening. Then I just move, back into the building. It should remain empty for a bit, and hopefully Alex can...recover? I have no idea what I'm actually going to do really.

Run Away: 2d6+2 13

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I kind of shrug at Jackie. "No time like the present." I grin. Besides, who gives a drat about detention. If Freddy and his buddies get it in their head that they can strongarm me, that's a real problem and has a chance of making my life hell. Now he'll think twice about loving with me. I hope. But no way am I gonna admit to Jackie, much less Victoria, that I might be scared of this little poo poo. "Besides, he deserved it."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Blaming Zach + Freddy

Rolling with Dark to channel Unresolved Trauma: 2d6+2 = 11 Attaching the Blamed condition to Zach and Freddy. Sorry, Zach.

Janey's chapstick tastes like strawberries. I know, because I used to borrow it before school, hunched together on the curb at the end of our street, waiting for the bus in the cold February mornings. Since we were both little girls. And then later, in the secret place, between the gym and the band room, where the stoners came to smoke because the teachers never bothered to walk all the way around the gym, and it still tastes like strawberries, secondhand. But so much better.

And then someone saw us one day, and the rumors started. Dave Hendricks, and his buddy Hawk, the biggest boy in the school. poo poo football player, but they still put him on the team just because he's so big that's what you have to do. And Jackson Sweeney, who was the meanest, because the other boys picked on him and so he could only pick on the girls. Making a V with his fingers and licking the air between it when we walked by. Janey crying and running away.

Who could take that? We couldn't.

Janey asks me what's wrong as I stumble away from her. Blood on my hands. "Janey," I tell her, "I'm sorry." It smells like blood and puke and I stagger, and there's a boy and he grabs me and lifts me. Jackson Sweeney. I punch his chest, but it's not like I was ever strong, and the angle is all wrong. Then we're inside, and alone and he pushes me away. I stare at him, and all of a sudden my breath hangs frosty in the air. It's colder in here than outside.

"You." I point at him, and my hair's like a snake, writhing around his throat. I want to tear it out. "You made me do it."

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

"Nobody's stopping us," I shoot back to Jackie. "Teachers know Freddy had it coming as well as we did. What, you going to call them in? Take Freddy's side?" I ask, taking a step towards Jackie, getting just uncomfortably into her space.

Alex and Freddy go tearing off to who knows where. Guess those rumors about Alex aren't true, 'cause they're probably about to suck face.

"Everybody's batshit today," I say, mostly to my girls. "Screw this, I'm going to change," I say. Because I'm not going around in a grass stained dress and muddy heels all day. That's just classless.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 2/5 | Conditions: Blamed

We're inside, and I'm trying to get to her. "Alex! Alex! Are you okay?" Then suddenly her hair wraps around my throat and I can see her anger. I try getting it off, but it's too tight. I can feel the urge to just strike at her, make her stop - but no, she's...well...is "ghosting out" insensitive? Wait what am I thinking.

"Alex," I gasp out. "It's okay." Then I move in to hug her, let her know everything's fine and I'm not her enemy.

Turn Someone On: 2d6+1 7

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook
Harm 0/4 | Experience 3/5 | Conditions: Blaming Zach(?) + Freddy

That was clever. Go ahead and take a string on Alex.

Suddenly everything is warm, and smells like... puppy? And shaving cream. And I don't know where I am.

I catch myself nuzzling somebody's chest and pull back. Zach is hugging me, and my hair is all wrapped around his face.

"I got stuck in a loop again," I say, stupidly. I pull back; I can't even look at him, I'm so embarrassed. "I'm sorry. Did I... hurt anyone? Did anyone else see?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I brush Alex's hair off my face. It's good to see she's calmed down.

"No, no, everything's fine." I rub my throat a little. "After Freddy pushed everyone down, Violet went up and punched him in the gut so everyone was watching that. At least, when I saw what was happening and came over to get you, no one was saying anything about you. So, are you okay? Are you still bleeding or do you need to go to the nurse, or...?"

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Playbook

That was so cool! I can't believe she just decked him like that. I grab Violet's hand as she comes back down the hill. "Hey, Vi, that was great! Can you teach me to punch like that?"

Turn Violet On: 2d6+3 8 marking xp

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook

I touch the back of my head. No blood, anymore. Like it just vanished. "I don't even have blood," I mutter.

"Thanks for helping me," I say, feeling awful. "Sorry I tried to... y'know."

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"It's okay."

Now that this whole thing has been resolved...maybe I can ask for her help? A lttle bit of an awkward time, but we're alone right now so might as well.

"So earlier, before you, uh, went off with the others I wanted to ask for your help. I think there's something up with that club people are talking about. Fortress? Do you...have any abilities? That could help? Because when I last went near it I began hearing this sort of shrill noise. But it seemed like only I could hear it. I mean, I don't know what it is or if it means anything but it'd make it hard to hang out with everyone there." Man this sounds kind of weird when I say it aloud.

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

"Uh..." What the hell am I supposed to tell him? It's not like I can really show him how to punch exactly like that, can I? Well, maybe... A smirk spreads across my lips. "Sure!" Worth a shot anyway, even if this feels kinda weird. Not like I'm exactly a girly girl but a guy asking me for pointers on how to punch people. But then this is kind of confusing when I try to think about it too hard anyway because he's not exactly your usual guy. "But why?"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook

"Abilities?" Nobody's ever put it that way before. I guess it's sort of true, but... weird. "I guess," I tell him cautiously. "I was going to Fortress anyway with Laura and Stacy. I suppose I could look around while I'm there?" I briefly consider explaining about Ouijaland, or the other side, or whatever it is, but I decide not to. This whole day is already strange enough.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Playbook

Well, mainly because I want to spend time with you, Violet. But I can't just say that, can I? "It doesn't happen a lot, but people do give me poo poo, you know? And I've never been much of a fighter. But that was really great the way you just decked him like that." I grin, and go to fistbump her.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

In the aftermath of the chaos outside, the homeroom classes of New Salem are called back in a few at a time. Nothing is on fire except Freddy's insides, and he's the only one left behind when Mr. de Luna collects the lot of you and leads you back--from the rear, to make sure there are no unexplained absences. He allows the tide of bodies to sweep up Alex and Zach and carry them along without any more fuss. All he offers is a quiet word to Violet. "Mr. Miller won't be joining us for the rest of day. I expect Ms. Lee will want to see you for a little tete a tete before you return home." He sounds weary but firm. "That is, Ms. Chambers, you and your, ah, housemates."

By the time you return to Mr. de Luna's classroom, there's just enough time to sort your poo poo and sit down for a minute before the bell rings. Besides Freddy, the only one whose class schedule will be interrupted is Hiral--his glasses are crushed, and he can't do a drat thing without them unless he literally rubs his nose in any classwork he actually needs to read. "It's okay," he mutters to Toby and Jackie. "I think my aunt can bring my spares." Eddie is even more subdued. He fidgets and toys with a pen until the bell rings, then takes off toward the stairwell with his characteristic hurry. In that short minute, Laura finds whatever reason she needs not to look in Alex's direction. When the bell rings she jumps up as if in answer to a starting gun, and as her hair whips around all you get is the scent of berries before she's gone.

Morning classes go by without incident, and sure enough, Hiral reappears at lunch, walking up between Jackie and Toby wearing glasses that are identical to his old ones, only purple. Having had time to reflect, within minutes he's telling you that seeing Freddy covered in puke was almost worth it.

Violet, one of your teachers asked you to do something. What is it?

Jackie, someone in your first period has already labeled your homeroom the Loony Class. What did you say to them?

Toby, someone unexpected is sitting at your table. Why?

Victoria, all is right with the world when you're surrounded by your girls. Karen, in fact, got some good news this morning. What was it?

Zach, the guys are saying things that made you "see red" this morning. What was that?

Alex, what's the difference between Laura and Janey?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

A vaguely illicit trip to the house net Victoria a new outfit. Sadly, it's still the uninspired uniform the school has, but Victoria dresses it up with jewelry and shoes and comes into the dining hall looking more confident and in control than ever. That it might be a bit of a front - she did get shoved on her rear end just earlier today - doesn't stop her from putting on a pleased strut.

That attitude acts like a signal flare for her hangers-on, betas dropping in to join their alpha. Just fine, for Victoria. They take up their usual table, a round near the middle of the hall, making them the focal point of much of the room, and giving Victoria a good view of others. Have to keep an eye on the lesser creatures, after all.

"Tori? Tori?" Karen insists.

"What?" Victoria replies, a glare on her face. Not her favorite of nicknames.

"Mr. Duke," Karen continues, referencing her US History teacher, "told me after class, he said he got a call and I got into Governor's School!"

"So you get to go to school all summer?" Victoria asks, unimpressed.

"Um, this is a great opportunity, Victoria," Karen says. "It'll look great on my college apps" - that's far away, of course, but never too early for Karen to think about - "and it'll be fun! And you can come visit over the summer, get out of this place."

"I don't really know what my summer plans are," Victoria says.

"You should talk to my mom," Amanda pipes up. "She can tell you all the ins and outs. A bunch of poli-kids tend to go too."

"Are you going?" Gwen asks Amanda, who shakes her head emphatically. "I get enough of that crap at home."

"Good, you can come with me to the islands," Victoria tells Amanda, sounding like it's a done deal.

"Whichever," Victoria answers. "Oh, you don't even know?" Karen asks.

"Have you told Susan about the summer yet?" Victoria replies with ice in her tone.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

After everyone came back in, things seemed to be going fine. But of course there were people who were wondering what was up with Alex and I. I tried explaining it had looked to me like she was bleeding and i wanted to get help, and most people seemed to accept this. But a few of them, especially Leon, seem to find joy in suggesting what we might have been up to. I keep trying to tell him to knock it off, but that was a big mistake on my part as he just takes it as encouragement. He even sat down where I'm at specifically to taunt me.

"Come on Zach, you can admit it to us," he says with a leer. "What are you into?"

"Go away Leon" I mumble. My heart's not really focused on talking with him though because on one hand I keep imaging how just punching him in the face would get him to shut up, but on the other hand I know I shouldn't and I'm trying to focus on not making that a reality.

But it's hard.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Playbook

School was awkward enough - once everyone got wind of the whole "bunch of adopted kids living in one rich dude's house" situation. But after the bullshit that went down during the fire drill, Leon Martin is bemoaning the fact that he got stuck in "The Loony Class" with people like Victoria and Violet. Honestly, I'm getting tired of getting flak because him and Victoria think that there isn't room for two in their drive to collect weak-willed people like baseball cards.

"Leon, I'm pretty sure you're just sour they did what you -wanted- to do. Or do those mud and grass stains come with those pants? Y'know, like pre-torn jeans."

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

Ugh, I was gonna meet up with people for lunch but Ms Pennel thought it was more important to help her clean up the school lab after class. I got poo poo to do, just send me to detention, not this non-sense. How the gently caress am I supposed to brag about what happened earlier when I'm way late for lunch? Whatever. So I do a half-assed job putting stuff away and then duck out. Too late for lunch and a smoke now and I'm seriously considering skipping the former but I'm hungry and maybe I can still catch up with some people in the dining hall. At least there's not much of a line. I scan the crowd real quick, Freddy and his buddies. Nope, as hilarious as that would be I'm not that suicidal. Vickie's table? Pass! Jackie, Zach and Leon? Eh, sure why not. I keep an eye out for Toby but I can't find him in the crowd.

"Sup fuckers?" My tray lands on the table with a bit too much gusto but I just roll with is, dropping myself into an empty spot and scooping some of the spaghetti that got jostled around back into the bowl.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I look up a bit in surprise when Violet slams her tray down. We don't normally sit together, but maybe she can help change the subject.

"Hey Violet." I take out my napkin and wipe some of the sauce she spilled near me.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

KSLAM!!!

"Oooh, somebody's feeling dramatic," Karen says.

"Probably ardrenaline from earlier," Gwen notes. Amanda's about to say something when Victoria cuts her off, "Freddy had it coming," she says firmly. "Somebody had to do it."

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Playbook

I'm sitting next to Heidi and Lisa, half-listening to them tell Becky about the "totally choice guys" they met in Barbados over the break, but mostly planning what I want to post to my Tumblr about the events of this morning. I bet it'll get a lot of notes if I talk about Eddie's weird poo poo, even if I'm really vague on the details.

Suddenly Susan Kimball sits down opposite me. I've heard rumors about her. But then I've also heard plenty of rumors about me. I figure if she has secrets, so what. But she spends half the lunch period just toying with her lasagna. She keeps making like she's going to look up and then jerking her head back down. I finally get tired of it. "Look, Susan, what's up?"

I figure Susan needs something and thinks Toby can get it for her.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

Playbook

After homeroom, the rest of the morning was a blur.

That's not me being poetic. I was starting to loop again. I looked up from my history book and suddenly I was right back there in 1994, in Mr. Decker's chemistry lab, surrounded by people I used to know. The hair always gives it up right away; the clothes really aren't that different but the hair... yeah. Bangs as far as the eye can see. Mr. Decker looks over at me and starts talking, but the words are meaningless noise. I close my eyes and concentrate, gripping the desk with my fists and holding on tight while the room spins. And now we're back in the modern day, and my textbook has maps instead of formulas, and I breathe a sigh of relief. I missed most of the class, but I made it back to myself.

It happens five more times before lunch.

It's Laura that did it. Laura and Janey. I have to keep them straight, or I'll go back to being just an echo. They're different girls! Janey had dark brown hair and Laura has dyed black hair, with purple tips. Laura wears too much makeup and Janey barely wore any. Laura 's parents have money and Janey's mom worked double shifts at the old people's home Laura is...

The thing that amazes me about Laura is how she has all these mental labels for things. She's so... orderly about who she is. It's like someone gave her a handbook for life, or she found one on the internet, or something. She knows all the words for what she is. Goth. Bisexual. Feminist. Athiest. It's easy for her. She's so certain about things, with this ironic detachment, like she's checking off a list.

Janey and me, we never had that. We didn't know what was going on; maybe growing up someplace else we would have, but not growing up in the Carolina sticks. We didn't have subcultures, or alternate sexualities. We had to feel around the edges of things, blind, figuring out what we were by touch and getting cut on the sharp edges. It was killing Janey; she was always angry, always bitter. It was like she had a big open scab right over her heart. Like the world was stomping on her exposed nerves. I just got quiet, but she got angry. That's how we got so caught up in the music; it sounded like we felt. I guess it sounds stupid now, but we didn't see any reason to go on living after--

I open my eyes. I'm in the lunchroom; the real lunchroom. I'm all alone, holding my tray, and I don't remember getting here, but that's okay. It's stopped, for now. I blow the hair out of my face and try to find a seat.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 27, 2015

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

"Sup, Violet," Leon says, rolling his eyes. But he's clearly faltering. As Zach well knows, he's not one for fighting his own battles in any sense of the word. But he is smart enough to come in from a different angle. "Hey, Zach, everybody's wondering about you guys. I don't mean Alex. I mean all of you, living together. So you're like...brother and sister?" he goes on, resting his eyes quite deliberately on Zach, Jackie, and Violet. Leon catches sight of Randy McDaniels watching from a nearby table, and Jackie notices him noticing Randy. "So is it like, you guys get to do whatever you want? Like, anything?"

"It's definitely weird," says Carla, finally speaking up. Zach, Jackie, Violet, what do you do?

A few tables away, Susan looks up from her food at Toby like she's been caught stealing. "Um, nothing. What do you mean?" She looks down at her lasagna again, but there's no use pretending. "I just like hanging out. Here. I, uh, wanted to ask you. You live with Violet, right? I just wondered because I thought you two were, like, talking. I just wondered what it's like."

"Yeah, what's that like?" asks Travis Moore. He sits down next to Susan, while Bryan Thalhimer takes a seat next to Toby. They're friends of Freddy. He isn't with them, but you know by reputation what they all have in common--a few screws loose, and a mean streak that covers a few miles of country road. Travis isn't eating. He rests his elbows on the table, then rests his chin on the palms of his hands, locking eyes with Toby after he shakes his bleached bangs out of his eyes. "I said, what's that like, Toby?"

Bryan stretches his broad shoulders--just an excuse to jostle Toby off balance. "You shouldn't talk to her," he says to Susan. His face is blank. "Violet won't like that."

"Yeah, what's that like, Toby?" Travis repeats. "Violet's a little crazy. Do you think she's a little crazy?"

"She's a little crazy," Bryan answers for you.

"Do you like that? Does it make your pussy sweat?" Travis looks over at Susan. "How about you?" Her response is to jump and walk away, her hands fluttering. She almost runs face-first into Alex on her way out. Toby, Alex, what do you do?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

I don't know where Leon is going with this, but I don't like it.

"No. It's more like we're roomates. And no, there are rules just like any other house."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

Playbook

I nod in agreement at Zach's answer. Very matter-of-fact. Diplomatic, almost. They won't be satisfied with that.

"Yeah, it's less weird, so to speak. Just kind of uncommon, I guess - I'm sorry, is this going anywhere?"

• Locked thread