Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«74 »
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If money is not an object, Albion Swords and Arms and Armor make great replicas.

Solo training material for HEMA of any kind is kind of scarce, unfortunately. The Bolognese sources are the only period material I can think of that have any meaningful stuff for solo practice. They've got stuff for the single sword (and you can entirely well use a simple cross-hilted sword for it), sword and buckler, and two-handed sword, and some polearms and other stuff besides.

However, if you just want to get training, I'd recommend checking this out:

10 Beers posted:

Figured there might some interest in this here. Guy Windsor is offering his online training course for $20. Normally $500, so jump on it if you're interested!

https://swordschool.teachable.com/p/solo-training
I've trained with Guy and his stuff is honestly pretty good. I might quibble about certain details of his interpretations but I've found his teaching materials very solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

That's perfect! I'm going nuts not being able to go to my jiu-jitsu/mma gym, and you may have just saved my sanity, thank you!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yo, US Fencing members, go vote! It's in your email inbox (the one tied to your USFA membership)!

I know no one's been to a club since March, but elections are happening for a bunch of stuff, like president and board members. I don't know what all is on the ballot, because I'm a ref that doesn't have a full membership.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

If money is not an object, Albion Swords and Arms and Armor make great replicas.

Solo training material for HEMA of any kind is kind of scarce, unfortunately. The Bolognese sources are the only period material I can think of that have any meaningful stuff for solo practice. They've got stuff for the single sword (and you can entirely well use a simple cross-hilted sword for it), sword and buckler, and two-handed sword, and some polearms and other stuff besides.

However, if you just want to get training, I'd recommend checking this out:

I've trained with Guy and his stuff is honestly pretty good. I might quibble about certain details of his interpretations but I've found his teaching materials very solid.

Guy's stuff is definitely solid.

You can work a lot of the saber/backsword/broadsword cuts with an arming sword as well. Roworth's not a terrible place to start to get a feel for basic cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d_ulKNRCkk

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Slippery Tilde

What's the deal with the US fencing elections? Pretty standard stuff, or are there a bunch of sordid stories and skeletons in closets?

I am super happy right now because I managed to pull off The Move tonight. Tall opponent comes at me with high line and high hand, so I false parry sixte and then, instead of going for a parry quarte with a step back, take prime, hold the blade, then step in and flick the stomach. I don't care that he figured out he doesn't need to put up with my poo poo and destroyed me 5-0 with clean bladework and great distance control in the next bout, that one point was so goddamn good.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's the deal with the US fencing elections?

Dunno. I keep getting tweets like "remember to vote!" and I have no idea who any of those people are.

Nice work on that prime-flick move. I'm a sabre type, but I've been doing some foil against my son in quarantine and my infighting and flicks are terrible.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You guys are actually practicing?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You guys are actually practicing?

In two ways.

1. My son fences, so we go out and fence outdoors. He's been doing it for a long time, so he slaughters me, but hopefully I'm giving him more of a challenge than a static dummy target.

2. Our club is semi-open. The owner took advantage of the time they were closed to re-do the place; it has a fresh new paintjob and looks really good. About three weeks ago the city lifted some of the restrictions and they did a limited opening. It's only scheduled lessons with coaches. You show up and they (the coach) lets you in. You have to wear a mask at all times and keep distance - no handshakes. Only a max of ten people are allowed in at any time - the place is pretty big (a former auto garage) so there's space to spread out. You go to a strip and do a lesson, then go home. It's well regulated and they're taking it seriously, so I'm okay with it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh I'm not complaining..just jealous. We're currently discussing how to open back up.
How are you finding practicing with masks?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

You get used to it pretty quick. The big problem is getting it to sit right; it's easy to dislodge it when you put your fencing mask on over it. I think the trick is to keep one hand on your chin keeping the Covid mask on while you pull the fencing mask on and then pull it down by the bib over the Covid mask.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's the deal with the US fencing elections? Pretty standard stuff, or are there a bunch of sordid stories and skeletons in closets?

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh.

It's also over now, so it doesn't matter a whole bunch. The president wasn't re-elected, a lot of others were. I didn't know much about the main elections but had some preferences. For the ref elections, I abstained, because I just couldn't make a choice of one or the other and would be fine with either candidate.

Cessna posted:

Dunno. I keep getting tweets like "remember to vote!" and I have no idea who any of those people are.

Unless you show up to national events a fair bit or live near one of the candidates, that's to be expected. I go to most events and there were still a couple I do not know in the slightest.

Oh I'm not complaining..just jealous. We're currently discussing how to open back up.

With Leon Paul branded shields!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Haha, some of the kendo gear manufacturers are doing similar:

https://www.e-bogu.com/Mouth-Mask-f...ablock-tb19.htm
Pretty sure this will be worse than wearing a mask.

«74 »