Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Christ you chucklecucks are getting all up in arms over his drat back foot rotating while you brush cheeto crumbs off your beerguts. Its about killing people, not perfecting your form to the point you are fractally mirrored in all dimensions. I love these couch-potato critics. I'd recommend critics spar this dude and then complain how his pivoting back foot on one side caused slightly less lengthy impact fractures from all the times you got walloped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I don't even really do Olympic fencing anymore, but there are totally things that Olympic-competitive fencers can do that are visible as possible weaknesses to me that I also physically can't exploit. A slight tendency to over-lunge or reliance on certain actions when pressed, for instance. I can see all of that, especially with the luxury of film, and know that I have no chance at actually using that knowledge in a bout because my tip control has gone to poo poo and my lunge is so, so slow now. That doesn't make my criticism less valid.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Not less valid, just superfluous. Longsword combat wasn't restricted to a flat fencing strip. Feet sliding/pivoting/slipping were all factors that affected each and every action differently every time. If he lived in the time period, and had the choice between spending weeks/months perfecting the complete technique of keeping his feet planted vs honing kampfgeist or cutting/edge alignment during cuts, I think the latter would be far more efficacious considering the variable nature of combat in the real world vs a sport strip. It feels like a critique for critique's sake rather than acknowledge the dude actually creating/contributing to the community. From my vantage it looks/feels petty. I can't even recall a historic manual that mentions one must keep your feet planted at all times throughout the cut.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

BirdOfPlay posted:

If you bend your arm, that's a preparation. That means the attack ends. Irrespective of what your opponent is doing.

You're talking about attack -> withdrawn, right? I'm pretty sure they're hinting about the shitfight surrounding marching​ attacks versus attack into preparation.

On the more positive side, I got one of this semester's crop of newbies to help with a sabre bout. Since she'd never seen the weapon and only had a few weeks of foil under her belt, I'd only asked her to call en garde/allez rather than actually ref. I was pleasantly surprised when she started instinctively trying to work out the priority and getting it mostly right all by herself :)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How about some Rapier and Cloak sparring

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

I got a thread relevant tattoo on my honeymoon!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

10 Beers posted:

Haha holy poo poo thats awesome! Congrats Finally!

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Why frogs?

Also, I went to my first competition of the year and put in a surprisingly decent result, coming in around the middle of the pack. Pity I didn't have time to do anything other than foil, though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Ha, ha. That's really nice. Congratulations on getting married.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also, I went to my first competition of the year and put in a surprisingly decent result, coming in around the middle of the pack. Pity I didn't have time to do anything other than foil, though.

Feeling good about getting your first competition under your belt? Did you learn a lot from it?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Pretty sure Achmed's an old hand already.

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm pretty sure they're hinting about the shitfight surrounding marching​ attacks versus attack into preparation.
Sure am! Everything is awful and bad, particularly because I can't beat these teenagers! :negative: (Never mind that they train like three or four times how much I do, it's gotta be the rules' fault.)

But honestly, I really wish attack into prep was a thing again. It just flat out does not get called over here ever, and I barf in my mouth a bit every time somebody scores with a bent arm.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

DandyLion posted:

Haha holy poo poo thats awesome! Congrats Finally!
Thanks! I can finally start coming to practice again!

The artist was recommended to me, I saw them on his Instagram and fell in love.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Siivola posted:

I should do a better job of following this thread.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://www.classicalfencing.com/articles/bloody.php

Fun stuff here.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Siivola posted:

Yep, but

quote:

Everything is awful and bad, particularly because I can't beat these teenagers! :negative: (Never mind that they train like three or four times how much I do)
Basically this.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Was watching the European Kendo Championships this weekend and it wont be long before they have to introduce some kind 'right of way' rule there.
Sad, really.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Well, isn't there kind of a right of way concept already, but just with ultimate discretion given to the judges?

The international-level guy running the ref course I went to a while back told us that we should feel perfectly justified in calling "don't know" if you can't see the action clearly with the naked eye (barring the specific video replay rules).

Essentially what i mean is, you and i, we're not so different, you see. Join us on the dark side.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Hah, we have the opposite. Someone always hit first. The only time you can say "I did not see" is if there's something actually physically covering it.

My reference to 'right of way' is regarding many of the European players are now covering up whilst walking forward.
Either they need to make it so that they can issue a penalty or that any attack in that sequence is nullified if that happens
However, since then, there was also this incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KDv--4hXAU&t=10737s

This is the second violent incident in recent EKCs and again the referees fail to protect the players and follow the rules.
It's quite clear that if the actions of an player, intentional or not, causes an injury severe enough that the opponent can't continue, then that player shall forfeit the match.
Yet, they not only don't penalize the Czech player, they award him the match!?!
The Portuguese player sustained a concussion, but was released from hospital same day.
The rule set is fairly small and a lot of it is about procedures, so to forget something as basic as this, is inexcusable. However, the referees on court are clearly instructed to do by the court referee (the guy at the small table) and he in turn is supervised by the head referee. I simply don't get it.
This is where the 'martial arts hierachy' gets in the way. Because the supervising referees are more 'senior', no one has the balls to pull out the rulebook and them that they're wrong.
The coach of the Portuguese team can protest, but I'm sure that he was more concerned about the health of his athlete to worry about that.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wow, just wow. I definitely see where you're coming from vis-a-vis right of rules to keep participants safe.

That being said, holy cow as far as good use of pressure, leverage and timing goes that was A+. For a second it was only 98% sport and that 2% of real violence was really elucidating.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ImplicitAssembler posted:

However, since then, there was also this incident:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KDv--4hXAU&t=10737s

This is a mess. The Portuguese kendoka was thrown by being pushed to the face or upper arm by the Czech kendoka. They had become entangled just before though and the Czech's weapon was completely out of play.

I don't really know how kendo approaches bodily contact, but there needs to be hard lines drawn regarding safety of the competitors.

quote:

The coach of the Portuguese team can protest, but I'm sure that he was more concerned about the health of his athlete to worry about that.

Minor quibble, but if the coach thought it was worth it, they would've fought for something. Especially given that their athlete was injured, and the kendoka that did it would be allowed to continue instead of being DQ'ed.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This is a total failure from the referees. It should have been penalized and done immediately..

BirdOfPlay posted:

Minor quibble, but if the coach thought it was worth it, they would've fought for something. Especially given that their athlete was injured, and the kendoka that did it would be allowed to continue instead of being DQ'ed.

Yeah, I don't get it. He clearly talked to main referee beforehand, but had I been coach, I would have protested anyway, if nothing else to get it on record.
Again, I suspect that the martials arts hierarchy got in the way.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Again, I suspect that the martials arts hierarchy got in the way.

Not to nitpick or denigrate the awesome athleticism of the competitors but this always cracks me up when terms like 'Martial' arts are described with words like 'safety' and 'rules/hierarchy'. The irony of the situation is that they aren't really martial anymore and in fact are purposely avoiding 'martial' effectiveness in favor of sport effectiveness, but I guess competitors like to swing big dicks like real warriors too.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh not the "real martial arts" bullshit again.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

DandyLion posted:

Not to nitpick or denigrate the awesome athleticism of the competitors but this always cracks me up when terms like 'Martial' arts are described with words like 'safety' and 'rules/hierarchy'. The irony of the situation is that they aren't really martial anymore and in fact are purposely avoiding 'martial' effectiveness in favor of sport effectiveness, but I guess competitors like to swing big dicks like real warriors too.

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Big news from the Olympics: All 12 events will be competed for at the Tokyo Olympics. And the FIE has released a presser about it as well, in case it wasn't obvious from the other link.

For those not in the know, when Women's Sabre was added to the Olympic roster at Athens, the IOC did not grant fencing extra medals for the individual and team competition. This meant that the FIE recognized 12 events (men's and womens, individual and team, for 3 weapons) but only had 10 slots for Olympic recognition. This forced the FIE, in the lead up to each Summer Olympics, to decide which 2 events would be fenced at the World Champs pity arena separate from the main event. Unfortunately, there are rumors that this deal was able to be struck because the team events will only consist of 3 athletes, nixing the alternate position.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'd like to think that the Czech guy didn't mean to topple his opponent (although the halfhearted strike at him while he was on his back was pretty off-colour), stupid things happen by accident when people get that close. What is the rule on contact, anyway? To play devil's advocate, kendo with sabre target and foil priority seems like it would be fun as all hell
I wouldn't be surprised that there's just as much of an equivalent of the "martial arts heirarchy" stuff in the structure of local/regional bodies/the FIE/the IOC. I heard an anecdote from an international-level ref once where some high-ups almost caused a shitstorm at a major competition trying to push a rule that demanded all competitors on a national team to have identical socks or face disqualification.

Also it's about bloody time that we got all the events officially at the olympics. Given that women have been involved in high-level fencing for a comparatively long time, it's utter bullshit that adding women's sabre (in addition to men's) has taken this long to sort out the medal tally.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
Who all will be at Longpoint next month!?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Uziel posted:

Who all will be at Longpoint next month!?

Every person I know except me!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

To play devil's advocate, kendo with sabre target and foil priority seems like it would be fun as all hell
Sounds boss, I'm in. :getin:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

P-Mack posted:

Every person I know except me!

I'm not going because I just started a new job and can't afford it, but oh well.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Internet nerds who don't compete and hate tameshigiri are getting mad at this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEVFR6rM3PQ

For those who don't know, Axel is one of the best historical fencers in the world, while Sang is one of the best JSA fencers in the world. Haters gonna hate, but this particular brand of hate seems to be mostly people who don't know what they're talking about. They go on and on about technique, but whenever someone does something with speed, accuracy, and timing, it's regarded as "tagging". I loving hate arm-chair fencers.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Says the video is private :/

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

inscrutable horse posted:

Says the video is private :/

Ahh dang, that's a shame. It was public just a few minutes ago.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Please give us the gist of it via puppet theatre or interpretive dance.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

P-Mack posted:

Please give us the gist of it via puppet theatre or interpretive dance.

Mainly condescending armchair-fencers who think Liechtenauer's tradition is The One True Martial Art. Anything He didn't prescribe is foolish and pointless. So gekken sparring? Sparring in gear? Sparring with sharps? Cutting with sharps? Tournaments? All useless. Edit: Anything that isn't drilling at 70% speed is not The Art (this was just told to me, I at least thought their school sparred, but I was wrong). Here is an exact quote in response to the video:

"How did this add to our collective knowledge of the Liechtenauer tradition? It did not."

No poo poo! It's two people from completely different schools of swordsmanship sparring for funsies, and people keep applying their own neurotic insecurities on it.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 20, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

Mainly condescending armchair-fencers who think Liechtenauer's tradition is The One True Martial Art. Anything He didn't prescribe is foolish and pointless. So gekken sparring? Sparring in gear? Sparring with sharps? Cutting with sharps? Tournaments? All useless. Edit: Anything that isn't drilling at 70% speed is not The Art (this was just told to me, I at least thought their school sparred, but I was wrong). Here is an exact quote in response to the video:

"How did this add to our collective knowledge of the Liechtenauer tradition? It did not."

No poo poo! It's two people from completely different schools of swordsmanship sparring for funsies, and people keep applying their own neurotic insecurities on it.

Oh, the guys who think training to cut a resisting opponent should never involve cutting or resisting opponents.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

while Sang is one of the best JSA fencers in the world.

By what metric?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

By what metric?

Well, he's president of the US Battodo federation for starters. He routinely places top 3 in Battodo fighting and cutting competitions in Japan and teaches all over the US, Japan, and elsewhere. His school is visited by many great JSA teachers visiting the US because they genuinely respect his prowess.

Really you just need to watch him fence (check out his YouTube channel for some sweet cutting vids). Or better yet, fence him yourself. He will beat you easily, and then he will educate you on exactly why and how he beat you. He's fast, but more importantly he's efficient. He doesn't waste movement. His timing is amazing, and his ability to change directions in the moment sometimes seems impossible. I'm not really sure how else I can illustrate his abilities or how he is regarded in the JSA/HEMA fencing communities.

Edit: And for the record I am, perhaps incorrectly, ignoring kendo when I say "JSA", though he does practice kendo as well and is quite good at it. I am speaking more in terms of the non-kendo side of JSA, but maybe you can educate me on that.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I got to gekken with him briefly last month and it was enlightening because he wasn't going super fast, he wasn't being super sneaky, he wasn't doing much of anything except completely controlling the fight from start to finish.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

P-Mack posted:

I got to gekken with him briefly last month and it was enlightening because he wasn't going super fast, he wasn't being super sneaky, he wasn't doing much of anything except completely controlling the fight from start to finish.
This is my experience getting beat down by the really good fencers at the high levels of epee too. OK yeah sometimes I just get blown out by speed, but a lot of it is just that I never had a chance of controlling the distance or tempo of the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Well, he's president of the US Battodo federation for starters. He routinely places top 3 in Battodo fighting and cutting competitions in Japan and teaches all over the US, Japan, and elsewhere. His school is visited by many great JSA teachers visiting the US because they genuinely respect his prowess.

Really you just need to watch him fence (check out his YouTube channel for some sweet cutting vids). Or better yet, fence him yourself. He will beat you easily, and then he will educate you on exactly why and how he beat you. He's fast, but more importantly he's efficient. He doesn't waste movement. His timing is amazing, and his ability to change directions in the moment sometimes seems impossible. I'm not really sure how else I can illustrate his abilities or how he is regarded in the JSA/HEMA fencing communities.

Edit: And for the record I am, perhaps incorrectly, ignoring kendo when I say "JSA", though he does practice kendo as well and is quite good at it. I am speaking more in terms of the non-kendo side of JSA, but maybe you can educate me on that.

Battodo only represent a tiny part of JSA. To proclaim that he's 'best JSA fencer in the world' is rather silly and something I'm pretty sure he would never do himself.