Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Xiahou Dun posted:

Uh never mind. Is it fallen off the forum or am I blind/an idiot?
loving click this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O so it did just fall off the forums.

Thanks!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Did find an example of the somewhat 'rougher' version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN9dx7qHZCk&t=270s

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's Valentine's Day, which means its time for the US Junior Olympic Championships! Beyond the normal stress of a national championship for pointed events, US Fencing is officially adopting the new non-combativity guidelines as passed by the FIE congress with the start of the event. This is a pain in the butt, because they've literally added 15 mins to the normal pre-NAC ref meeting just to cover it. I do feel like updating the rules for the championship event should've been avoid (as was done with the 3-meter rule), but this is a good event to run as a test bed/demo for the new rule.

The FIE has published an FAQ (pdf) with guidelines on application. The most surprising thing in there is Q7. Fencers are no longer allowed to "wave off" the remaining time of a period to advance to the break or priority. If they attempt to do so, it is to be penalized with "delay of bout" on both fencers (a Group 1 penalty). I'm not a fan of this interpretation, but it is what it is.

I'm still onboard with this for some of the big changes it makes, notably removing the end of period penalty, and I think it brings the rule more in line with what other combat sports have implemented. I'll probably have a better feel for it once my stint in Denver is over with.

Quick Edit: I forgot to post Q10, my fav from the FAQ:

FIE posted:

Q10.In the text for team events in English, c) mentions “fencers” though the lines before and after mention “teams”. The French and Spanish rules mention “teams”. Is it a typing mistake?

It is indeed a typing mistake in the English version of c) which will be corrected.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 14, 2019

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I just wanted to mention that I have started going to a weekly fencing program and it's really great! There is a lot of focus involved so that's what I really enjoy about it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

^^That's probably what I enjoy the most of about the stage I'm at now. Having gone through the technical/physical phase, it's now mostly about focus and concentration.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Yeah, the mindgames are so much of what makes the game fun. Unlearning years of bad habits where I rush in before seeing if there's a parry coming for my riposte is frustrating as all hell, but every so often it goes just right and the feeling is amazing.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

French fencing body recognizes lightsaber dueling as a sport. The only true difference is this rule:

quote:

Blows only count if the fighters first point the tip of their saber behind them. That rule prevents the viper-like, tip-first quick forward strikes seen in fencing. Instead, the rule encourages swishier blows that are easier for audiences to see and enjoy, and which are more evocative of the duels in Star Wars.

Without this, there's no reason to ever spin your lightsaber during the duel.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seems like a good rule if you're going for style over substance.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Couldn't you just do Kendo then?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Are the fencers required to do the SWOOSH-SHWOOsh noises themselves?

Because they should be.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nektu posted:

Are the fencers required to do the SWOOSH-SHWOOsh noises themselves?

Because they should be.

vvvvomp vvvvoOOOOOoomp vvvvRRRRREEEOOOMP

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I'm sure I'm being terrible and elitist but honestly this sounds super cringey. But I always thought that fighting with a weightless blade that vaporises everything instantly would basically be epee, because why would you ever do anything other than be super cagey and go for maximum range touches to your opponent's wrist?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I bet you'd love some Errol Flynn movies.

Edit: Mark Hamill explains why they didn't do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIefj6dOhnM&t=213s

Siivola fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Feb 23, 2019

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh yeah, of course they needed to pick a fighting style that looks good for the camera. That take of the scene where Hamill's beating down Vader and gets so carried away he accidentally flings his stick away mid-swing is priceless :)
Hah, he does in fact win the fight by cutting Vader's hand off. Totally forgot about that!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Crazy Achmed posted:

I'm sure I'm being terrible and elitist but honestly this sounds super cringey. But I always thought that fighting with a weightless blade that vaporises everything instantly would basically be epee, because why would you ever do anything other than be super cagey and go for maximum range touches to your opponent's wrist?

Remember that they weren't going for Age of Sail swashbuckling, they were cribbing from Kurosawa films.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Its really funny how the initial decision to go with a slower, more paced form made way more sense and had a better logical consistency than the later ridiculousness. The idea that these things are so powerful you need to be a jedi to even safely use them at all, and still needed to treat them with respect and caution makes way more sense then the flailing about later.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Well, George saw some wushu competition forms and there was no stopping him...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Those jedi sure knew how to throw a dance party.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuUGrtmjQfY

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Crazy Achmed posted:

The blades aren't weightless because according to the Star Wars Encyclopedia I read in first grade the blade is formed by a magnetic field holding a mass of plasma in place, and the magnetic field generates a lot of gyroscopic force which is why the blades are so difficult to use properly.

The blaster bolts are made of the same kind of plasma mass held in place by a magnetic field which is why they move slower than the speed of light, and why lightsabers can deflect blaster bolts because the fields collide. :eng101:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bco73_QYfJc

Nice little collection of 'jodan' points. (upper guard). I pretty much exclusively fight from that stance.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bco73_QYfJc

Nice little collection of 'jodan' points. (upper guard). I pretty much exclusively fight from that stance.
Ok, I have a question: why do so many kendoka on these videos just enter their opponents striking distance while being veeeeeery still, slow and static? An example would be the exchange at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bco73_QYfJc&t=162s where white just casually strolls right into the headshot.

I mean, yea, poo poo happens especially when you start to get tired, but its not the first time that I woundered about that.

Edit: Some more extreme examples from a video earlier in this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YepWym8pMWc&t=36s - although I guess stuff like this happens because wrestling is not allowed and the first one who would try to increase the distance would get hit anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YepWym8pMWc&t=203s - hmm, what?

Nektu fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 14, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I am not a kendoka, but it looks a lot to me like that's an attempt to get their opponents to misjudge their intentions and timing.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

It's an attempt to get a reaction of the opponent. You are constantly probing for an opening. Attacking without a clear opportunity is often a good opportunity to counter.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Meanwhile, in Japan:
https://www.facebook.com/masashi.yokoyama.718/videos/1776047735979141/

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
this thread trains for a day like this:

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/sheriff-mom-attacked-boyfriend-with-sword-after-finding-him-molesting-daughter

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Its like the ACL/BoTN folks... only Japanese...

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

EvilMerlin posted:

Its like the ACL/BoTN folks... only Japanese...

Except several of those dudes aren't even wearing face protection.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The majority of those dudes aren't wearing face protection. :gibs:

Also, what the hell is going on with the armor? It's almost universally terribly fitted where it is built correctly at all.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Uh they have guns. Uh.

Also they’re not matchlocks???

So I don’t get how it works and it’s inaccurate.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that puzzled me too, because the stuff on their blog talks about recreating Warring States period fighting. IIRC that would have been at best matchlocks based off of Portuguese designs...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I just got around to watching the semis-finals of the last couple of GPs, there's some really entertaining fights in there that I'd recommend to everyone.

Foil: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_lyMKeERrQ - great commentary but the volume levels are super low

Epee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULsFvP83XB4

France has fielded this insanely lanky guy in its foil team, the "what the gently caress just happened" reaction of his opponents after he tags them with a simple extension is awesome. Then he starts loving with them and closing to infighting distance out of nowhere. I haven't watched all the epee yet but the first match is Heinzer up to his usual tricks versus an Italian who just ain't having any of that bullshit. I need to show this video to all the newbies in my club who get panicked when someone starts doing unorthodox poo poo.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm on a kendo 'vacation' in Japan and had the opportunity to take part in the morning practice for the Kyoto Taikai.
https://i.imgur.com/I8U3aeg.mp4

Some 80+ 8-dan teachers with about a gazillion 'regular' people lining up.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got advice for someone that wants to focus on Migration Period/Viking age things? Spears, one handed swords and axes used with shields, maybe long knives, that sort of thing?

Edit: best analogs I've found to work off of so far are messer manuals for swords, and theres a decent Meyer (IIRC, on phone so I can't check) for spears and staves.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 9, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Check out ARMA's collection. The closest thing I know of for actual fighting manuals period-wise would be I.33, but that's just sword and buckler, not really as comparable.

For sword and shield, I'd look to reenactors. Hurstwic has some stuff here.

Maybe also look at the Cateran Society's stuff on broadsword and targe, most of which seem to be based on Thomas Paine's “Use of the Highland Broadsword”. A viking era sword is going to be balanced differently, and the shield will be larger, but the principals will be more likely to compare than the smaller bucklers used in most rapier systems or I.33. That's a shot in the dark, though. I learned shieldwork in the SCA, which means I have bad habits based on the gear and rules of the game as compared to what would serve in a real fight.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Liquid Communism posted:

Maybe also look at the Cateran Society's stuff on broadsword and targe, most of which seem to be based on Thomas Paine's “Use of the Highland Broadsword”. A viking era sword is going to be balanced differently, and the shield will be larger, but the principals will be more likely to compare than the smaller bucklers used in most rapier systems or I.33. That's a shot in the dark, though. I learned shieldwork in the SCA, which means I have bad habits based on the gear and rules of the game as compared to what would serve in a real fight.
I.33 is the earliest surviving manual so we don't really know anything specific about how the Vikings were actually doing it. So you just have to interpolate it based on what the later manuals are describing and how the earlier weapons work in practice.

Roland Warzecha has a bunch of good stuff about using large round shields and Viking swords https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQo7FjxjHSg and it looks pretty different in practice than the arming sword and buckler of I.33 or the later sidesword and buckler fighting.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm on a kendo 'vacation' in Japan and had the opportunity to take part in the morning practice for the Kyoto Taikai.
https://i.imgur.com/I8U3aeg.mp4

Some 80+ 8-dan teachers with about a gazillion 'regular' people lining up.

That looks like a hell of a lot of fun! I think one of my friends was there but given how many people are there it's probably not likely you ran into him.

I've just snapped a couple of very elderly foil blades and am having to re-learn point control on much stiffer ones... this'll teach me for buying stuff that I don't normally use. They're STM rainbows and are otherwise very nice, though. Anyway, sorry I haven't posted in a while but here is an incredibly cursed image just to remind us all which forums we are posting on

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I went to a club and fenced for the first time in a year or so on Thursday. I still have cramps in my thighs, butt, and groin.

Also, I can't wait for Summer Nats in 3 weeks. 10 days, ~12,000 registrations. Oh, and the July Challenge events kick off Olympic selection (I think). Luckily, I'll be in Columbus, OH, so I'm sure to have fun.

BirdOfPlay fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 8, 2019

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh god drat it, the wire popped out of one of my new blades after like 5 uses. And not just the wire, the core of the wire broke its way out of the insulation AND the glue. Had to pull half the wire out, clean the blade, then painstakingly glue it back in... we'll see how long that keeps it alive for. Really nice blade otherwise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

How long does a blade normally last?.

On my Japan trip, I was given a shinai I really liked and ended up ordered a box of 10. Should be enough for the next 2 years.