Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Ravenfood posted:

Its loving boring as poo poo and as soon as you stop concentrating, someone will go for a toe touch right next to the edge of the piste (or its ungrounded) while the other person is stepping off the side and then you have to make the only call of the match that's actually interesting and you blew it because even as a pretty decent epee fencer a day of reffing it sounds like hell. Especially if the quality of the bout is lower.

e: Like, I'll watch high-level epee bouts for fun and the idea of reffing epee all day makes me cringe.

The two highest level refs I've met (both were olympic level) told me straight up that at that level, epee is the hardest weapon to referee properly. You start your day, get through four bouts with nothing notable happening. During the second period of the fifth bout, you close your eyes to yawn, and when you open them one fencer is on is rear end, the other fencer has a foot off the strip and their weapon is broken. Both lights are on, and they are both looking at you wondering what just happened. And since it's epee, you aren't allowed to make any mistakes with calls. Practically all calls in epee are technical, so there is no wiggle room. You have to be perfect, or you're done for. Even when completely insane poo poo happens.

At a high level, foilists and sabrists are used to adapting to differing conventions of priority. Epeeists tolerate none of that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Siivola posted:

Edit: I mean, for gently caress's sake.

Holy poo poo that is pretty terrifying. It should take an unbelievable amount of force to cause a cave in like that, unless the mask was defective. I definitely wouldn't pay the shipping fee, just tell them it's a refund or nothing.

If I did HEMA then I wouldn't go for something like Leon Paul anyways. Their new design are all about sleek designs and light weight, which is fine for sport fencing but not for HEMA.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm new to fencing, about 4-5 months in, but when my instructor looked at my foil to repair it (it had been buzzing randomly), he said that I bought some "cheap Chinese knockoff" foil, so I'm looking for a new one. He recommended looking at Absolute, but when looking at their electric foil page, I'm more or less at a loss, since there are approximately a billion options. Apparently what I should be looking for is a foil that is easily maintained (i.e., I can buy the various tip parts for it easily), but I have no idea what the difference is between the "Absolute" tip point and, say, the German one, and that seems like one of the more straightforward options. My instinct is to just go for the "standard" foil with default options, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask the thread.
While the quality of blades can cover a huge range, there's no "knockoffs" that I'm aware of. Short of equipment with an FIE stamp, there is no "bona fide" equipment, so it's likely that your blade can be repaired by someone who knows how. German style points are pretty standard (there are different types of german points but their parts are all interchangeable). AF non-FIE blades are fine beginner blades. Their FIE blades are somewhat amazing for their longevity. Make sure you choose the socket style correctly to match your body cords (or whatever your club uses).

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Smoking Crow posted:

I just fenced this girl who, without fail, would put her free hand on her stomach whenever my foil got anywhere close to her. I told her to quit and I still beat her, but what should I do to make her stop next time

Have someone referee the bout (someone who knows what they're doing). Make sure they nail her with cards repeatedly for it. Even if it's a practice spar. That's the only way some people learn, and better now than in competition.

quote:

I have never heard of that rule being applied and have only heard guidance of "don't do it." Which, of course, makes sense, this is the only way a ref is allowed to award a touch not registered by the box.
I've called it a couple times, usually it's obvious when the hit is on the hand because the offender will have a mark to prove it. And when it's on the arm it can be pretty clear so long as you are standing in the right spot.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 10, 2016