Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Question for the other HEMA folks: what do you prefer for head protection? I've been borrowing my gym's safety equipment, but want my own since sometimes we run out. I was thinking about an epee mask with a SPES mask overlay.

Also, since this may be the only thread that might appreciate this, have a pic of my recently restored rapier:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Speaking from the obviously expert position of having only ever had one sidesword lesson, I think the ring hilt helped keep my opponent's (synthetic) blade from rapping my knuckles (or rest of my hand).

I imagine if I had had a basket hilt on the practice sword, that would have been at least as effective. We were doing mostly cuts and counters in sparring, though, not thrusting.

But hoping to poke your blade through the rings and (1) actually slice your opponent and (2) not get your blade stuck or its tip broken off when your opponent jerks his or her sword away seems a poor idea to me.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
It sounds pretty drat cool. My plate is full with longsword and hopefully sidesword for now, but learning the rapier properly would be fun down the line.

You're right about the heaviness. I thought the longsword would be worse, but of course it's two-handed so mucking about with a waster for an hour is no big deal.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Crazy Achmed posted:

How much does a rapier weigh, on average?

Mine is somewhere between 2 1/2 to 3 pounds. No idea how much the practice sidesword I borrowed weighed, but I am sure it was lighter.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Verisimilidude posted:

Gender politics in HEMA are so loving bad. Feminism is generally viewed as this archaic thing ran by tumblr stereotypes, and the woman's group Esfinges gets poo poo on constantly because it holds functions and classes specifically for women.

Happy to say this isn't something I've noticed so far at my classes. I also don't belong to any HEMA-related mailing lists or Facebook pages.

But now I'm worried if I move and want to keep doing HEMA stuff in another locale. I like living in my neckbeard-free bubble where men and women swing swords together and do MMA training together without anyone being an rear end about it.