Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

What are the most common HEMA injuries anyway, elbow hyper extension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I very quickly got used to the range, but we're doing sword and buckler so I'm always trying to punch a fucker with the buckler. I was told the grappling is cool if it's your only option

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Obviously I'm also new at this but I found if you concentrate on clearing or binding their sword in the first exchange you can make time for yourself to get in close. This is based on a grand total of 2 sparring sessions so please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I'm coming into the hema thing with very little grappling experience but quite a bit of boxing experience and it's clear that apart from the speedy footwork I got from boxing, grappling would have been a much more useful thing to have trained.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

William E. Fairbairn's style of knife fighting that he developed is all slashing all the time, plus keeping your bodylow and out of the way

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

This seems likely to me, because knife fights are nasty like that. The first rule of knife fighting has always been that you're going to get cut, win or lose.

If only because it's really hard to do enough damage to instantly incapacitate an opponent with a single knife shot.

The first rule of any kind of fight is that you're going to get hurt, with knives it may be better to take a cut to the forearm so you can deliver a stab to the neck or something

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I started wearing similar double layered socks for boxing and it cleared up my blister problem

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Verisimilidude posted:

What do y'all do to train in your free time? I'm hitting a bit of a plateau this week and I want to improve or add to my personal training.

Same as the last guy, trail running in minimalist shoes and weight lifting. Specifically, westside for skinny bastards. You can find the .pdf if you search through the martial arts thread, it came highly recommended there and it's been working fantastically for me. For the running, I do 2 days of 10 rep hill sprints and a single day of a ~10k trail run.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Kemper Boyd posted:

The old-timers at my club said that they used to not wear masks while drilling back in the day and somehow there were zero accidents.

There's an Irish stick fighting drill/game where you have to knock the top hat of your opponents head, I'd love to see it done. That said, I think doing drills with no protection is a great way to learn control, all martial arts clubs need way to weed out the egomaniac assholes that make everything dangerous for people.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

For hema? You want some heavy padded fuckers

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Nektu posted:

One thing to consider is that metal gloves are a good knuckleduster and will gently caress up your opponent given the chance.

Unless maybe you exclude all the wrestling moves, only use metal if your opponent is clad in metal too.

Lighter cloves are useful for technical drills where you dont suffer unwanted contact though. The sword just gets less rusty if your sweaty palms are inside a glove.

Why don't people wear steel gauntlets or cuisses in hema tournaments? Is it purely a weight thing?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I was told not to duck when sword fightin' as it apparently makes your head an easier target, its a tough habit to break from boxing. Maybe it's different when the ranges are a lot closer, but the longsword guy I was sparing said it was good advice.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Keldoclock posted:

Is there anything like spear fencing? Always seemed like it would be easier to learn and more effective, but google only gives results for like, wooden fences with decorative spears.

Quite a bit yeah

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Category:Staff_Weapons

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I think it's George Silver that said you use a longsword exactly the same way you use a spear.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

thewireguy posted:

As a rookie, I have been doing mostly basics for a month now, but they will throw in an advanced move at the end, usually in a bind, where you turn the sword upside down, let go with one hand, grab it again and t urn and pull t he other guy, sometimes ending up with his sword in your hand. (this is hems) I never see the other guys doing this when I watch the big boys spar after hours, but it is pretty fun.

A lot of techniques that work from the bind are impossible to do with blunt weapons which is a huge shame really as I really want to dent some fuckers mask with my buckler

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I'm obvs not an expert here but I would have assumed that if you treat your shield as a purely defensive thing you're wasting a load of potential

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

A lot of winding in the Lecküchner messer I've been doing lately

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

We're getting custom dark green spes jackets made for HEMA Ireland awh yiss

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

The competitive scene would be so different if blunt swords would bind properly

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Does tennis elbow ever actually stop being a problem

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

my ankles are too dainty for uncouth pike-work

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Ditch the long sword and choose the one true HEMA weapon: Mair Daggers

edit: and also ringen

Rabhadh fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Aug 12, 2015

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

buy a skipping rope

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Re: exercise chat, walking lunges are more interesting than squats if you get bored easily (like I do).

inscrutable horse posted:

Teaching of any kind is, I'm afraid, pretty much impossible :( I live in the Faroe Islands, and after months of exhaustive investigation, I've found out that there is no one in the country who has practiced any sort of sword-based martial art, bet it Olympic, historical or JSA. This is kinda what inspired me to start this in the first place - my ambition, once I'm off The Hermit Island of Desolation and Despair, is to start recruiting other interested individuals so that we can start a club. From there I hope to get it recognized as an "official" sport or something, and get my filthy hands on some :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: in order to invite teachers over here for a short period. Well, those are my "professional" ambitions - personally, I just want to swing a sword around like a huge nerd.

You could start a study group, as long as everyone understands that you're all new at this and your role is basically just to give structure to the sessions rather than as a teacher it could be ok. Everyone I've met through HEMA has been very nice and I'm sure you could get some teaching tips if you approach an established trainer.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I think it's when your opponent is holding an imaginary sword

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I just can't get interested in longsword, I'm such a hema hipster

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I'm in awe of these guys, I haven't been able to make it to a class recently due to conflicting timetables but I've been doing any solo drills I can to try and stay sharp (hah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpR-eGN_8_o

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

no because midiclorians

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Oh my I may be dropping ~300 yos on one of them gorgeous side swords in the not too distant future. HEMA Ireland requires rolled tips though, which is a bit of a bummer

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Is this for every day you're not sword fightin'?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

I've been doing a modified Strength Program from Start Bodyweight.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

hasn't discovered the one true art yet: sword and buckler (and daggers)

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Sounds like a sport for really annoying rich people. How historical!

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

My anecdote is: the SCA people I've seen were in even worst physical condition than the HEMA people I've seen

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

The great thing about the white pride guys you bump into in Ireland (mostly Viking reenactors) is pointing out that it's only recently that we've been considered "white"

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Rapiers are dex weapons you scrubs

some nerd has never held a rapier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

why are you fencing w/modern weapons anyway, smh

Yeah if you can't pommel strike a guy in the face you just have to ask yourself, are you really sword fighting?