Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tsunemori posted:

Question for OP and any other fencers out there: do you know anything about Torao "Tiger" Mori? He was a pretty pro Kendo player who moved to USA and studied fencing, and within 6 months came first or second in the national tournament. Ended up coaching or something. He said "kendo and fencing are exactly the same".

I have been doing kendo for 7 years, and upon trying (modern) fencing, I find it so different! In kendo, it's all about moving the body in first, and the hands/sword last. In fencing it seems to be the other way around, to establish "right of way". I'm guessing this comes from fencing being purely a sport.

Any comment on the "unrealism" of modern fencing, or what Torao Mori said?

Right of way makes sense, if you consider not being stabbed is more important than stabbing someone else. After all, if you get stabbed, you're kind of hosed, but if you can stab someone without getting stabbed yourself then you're golden.

For all the complaints of artificiality of right of way rules, it basically boils down to "Don't get stabbed, stab the other guy first." Which seem like a pretty basic rule for any sword fighting system.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tsunemori posted:

Here's a question - Kendo is mostly two-handed, so as a result we fight square-on facing the opponent. The left hand holds the sword at the bottom, and the right hand just under the guard. Generally it is said that "left hand is power, right hand in control" - because using the right hand for power results in a "bashing" motion, as opposed to slicing. If Kendo players must choose a hand to fight with, I think most would pick their left.

Fencing however, only uses one hand. While I'm right-handed, my left hand is stronger. What sort of benefits/difficulties would I have with left-handed fencing? Should I try switch around and learn to fence with both hands (so I can reenact The Princess Bride)? Another thing to keep in mind is that in Kendo, the left foot is behind the right, and is the one doing all the pushing. However since fencing is fought sideways, and thus the back foot is perpendicular to the line, I'm not sure which side would be better. Any advice?

Thanks again for the thread and sorry for the questions.

Left handed fencers can punch above their weight when it comes to fencing, since their body is on the "wrong side" compared to right handed fencers. Right Handed fencers are used to dueling with other right handed fencers. It's usually a right to left motion to score a point. In the rare case of a southpaw showing up, the southpaw has an advantage because most fencers aren't really used to going left to right to score a hit.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jan 15, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Bitter Mushroom posted:

So, how many of you have a sharpened sword for dispatching villains in real life? If not, why not?

Around here it's just easier to just to get a concealed gun permit and a gun, and law enforcement will go easier on you than if you carry a butterfly knife or anything approximating a sword, with a possible exception of machetes for gardeners. You can carry a 9mm in your pocket, and with the right papers, no cop is going to arrest you just for carrying a gun. Getting busted with a swordcane, brass knuckles, or a switchblade is usually a one way ticket to jail though.

It's dumb, but what can you do?

I've also got a kitchen drawer filled with knives designed to remove flesh from bones in the odd case somebody tries break in. Which is statistically unlikely.

If I just wanted to be some internet tough guy, I'd go get a gun and a concealed carry permit. Or maybe study Krav Maga or Muai Thai, and get my fists registered as lethal weapons, because I'm that badass.

Or I can just admit that I'm probably never gonna be the guy that happens to be in the other room when terrorists take over Nakatomi Plaza, but fencing is a pretty fun way to get some exercise.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also, the princess bride is pretty much required viewing for any aspiring fencer. It's a pity, though, that the younger guys at my club don't know the insult swordfighting lines from monkey island...

How appropriate, you fight like a cow.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 17, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Trying to score hits on their first ever partner distance drill with no weapons
Wearing jeans to training

What's wrong with wearing jeans to training?

I was taught to wear jeans at the beginner levels of fencing, when somebody might poke you in the leg with a foil. They don't get a point from it, but they will still stab you in the leg, because they are new at this.

Unless you're wearing skinny Jeans that restrict your movements, or saggy jeans, properly sized Jeans are actually the easiest mainstream purchase to make to get into fencing. All you have to do is buy a pair of pants that fit you.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 20, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Q!= edit

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I have had good luck with clubs, but at one point I taught in what I believe is the Worst Club in America. It had a bunch of warning signs I stupidly ignored for too long, since they were paying me. Make sure you run away if you see:

People fencing without masks

An on-site equipment store which the coach requires students to shop from, exclusively.

Clearly damaged or nonexistent rental equipment.

(I can give more details/stories if anyone wants.)

That being said, don't worry if you see a bit of quirkiness, such as:

Lots of Russians.

The facility is in a strange place (community center, above a gym, or a seemingly abandoned warehouse)

The coach offers "private lessons". It isn't as creepy as it sounds.

Separate "club/floor fees" along with "lesson fees". This is a pretty standard practice, since some people just want to fence but don't take group classes.

Holy poo poo, I would run away from any fencing clubs that had people fencing without facemasks, that just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Pretty much any fencing club should have enough facemasks to cover any new people, and if they're short on facemasks they should share them around. Same for fencing jackets. That should be included in their fees.

Fencing isn't exactly unique in being stuck in sketchy places. Most martial art places need lots of room to practice, so they tend to be in places where the rent is cheap, so sketchy neighborhoods. There's a Capoeira/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu gym at my local sad corner market, in between the Hallal market, and cheap cigarettes, plus a cash for gold place and a korean nail salon.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 21, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tsunemori posted:

Here's a question which I hope isn't too rude.

In general, how fit are fencers? I'm asking because the last club I went to (as a beginner) had a very strange number of people with... odd body shapes. Most of them were either thin/lanky teenagers, or older men with beer guts (or some sort of disproportionate lumps). There were maybe two or three adults with athletic bodies. The coaches didn't look too fit. Is this normal for many advanced, non-competitive fencers? Or is this an early warning signal to look for a different club?

I would say that having that many older fencers around kind of means it's probably not a scam. If that many old school fencers are happy hanging around, it can't be too big of a scam.

Fencing is a bit weird, where skill and practice can compensate a hell of a lot for being slightly out of shape.

Just because the older fencers have beer guts doesn't preclude them from having fast reflexes, better footwork than you, and probably know what you're going to do before you do.

As a general rule, people quit sports they suck at, and stick with sports where they win more often than not.

The over 40 fencing crowd is no different. You've been fencing for 6 months, how quaint. They've been fencing for 20 years, and will happily school you on how it's done if you challenge them to a duel.

To me that's kind of the fun part of fencing. A 19-year old Adonis can dominate at fencing, but only so much.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 22, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gadamer posted:

Alex Massialas was on the senior world championship team at 15. Race Imboden was taking golds at Div1 NACs and medaling at World Cups at 16.

I meant that a noob in good shape would have a hard time against even a casual fencer in not so great shape.

Alex Massialas started fencing at 7 years old and his dad is an former Olympic fencer, turned Olympic fencing coach. Eight years of being coached by an Olympic level coach is more than most starting fencers can expect. Similarly, Race was coached by two former Olympic fencers for several years.

I don't say that to diminish their accomplishments, but they weren't exactly normal starting fencers. I guess I can be thankful that it's mostly just fencers interested in fencing, so Olympic level fencing isn't as bad for kids as say gymnastics or swimming.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Control Volume posted:

does fencing ruin this fight scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB8tiSMCwRE

if so your sport is dumb and bad and i want nothing to do with it

That was actually a pretty impressive fight scene. The actors actually look like they know what they were doing when handed a sword. 9/10. They pulled off some decent parrys and ripostes.

The usual complaint against most sword fighting scenes in movies or in plays is that the actors are usually more focused on hitting the other actors sword, instead of trying to stab someone, which is kind of the goal of fencing.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

It makes a lot more difference when you're not fighting in a flat, completely empty open space, too. ;)

Yes, but if we're judging people on combat skills, might as well do it 1-on-1 competition.

Since armies have been trying to avoid fair fights since at least the days of Sun Tzu, trying to adopt warfare into a sport is going to be screwed by the issue that wars aren't fair. I suppose we could try to have some sort of grand melee, like something out of Game of Thrones, but there is going to be a shitton of luck involved. (I call swinging around a flaming sword like Thoros of Myr before he got religion. )

And If people want to fence with bucklers, I ought to be able to start my offensive against them with paint-tipped nerf guns, and they get disqualified for getting paint on their clothes. After all, shields are great against arrows, but they suck against swords.
Only after they survive a brutal barrage of paint tipped nerf arrows are they allowed to engage in melee combat with me.

It's silly to argue for some sort of historical accuracy when everybody is just making up silly rules.

At the end of the day, it is a sport like any other.

If you go around saying fencing is unrealistic, then whatever new rules you come up with are likely to be as unrealistic.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 18, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I tried karate a few years ago, and learned two facts.

1)If you slip into a fencing stance you'll get your feet kicked out from under you.

2) parry carte is really ineffective against fists

It seems like anyone who has fenced a bit of Epee would have have decent enough footwork to notice that someone is aiming for a foot. The forward foot is the easiest, and most most obvious spot to try to score a point. So most fencers learn to avoid attacks aimed at their feet, that's pretty much the reason fencers focus on footwork.

If an epee fencer can't avoid an obvious foot attack without being unbalanced, then they were probably lovely fencers to begin with.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 20, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Definitely if you're going to streetfight, you're gonna want to roll with a nice cane and top hat, and bust out your bartitsu.

Dammit, the Ninjas in my neighborhood aren't nice enough attack one at a time. They usually just dogpile someone, then beat them to death with what ever is handy. Those dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Gadamer posted:

You should stop comparing fencing with striking or grappling.

Sorry. I was thinking of Cobra-Khai Dojo 'sweep the the leg' BS. I was watching the Karate Kid the other night. Against a wrestler or an MMA fighter, yeah, someone in a fencing stance would get knocked down pretty quick.