Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!
The SCA group I got my start in rapier with is definitely not focused on historical styles. If you end up having to teach yourself, the Capo Ferro translation Siivola posted is a great resource. I also highly recommend picking up a copy of Guy Windsor's The Duellist's Companion, which is a modern English training guide for Capo Ferro's system. I found the videos produced by Academie Duello to be really helpful for my own learning, too. You don't have to pay for access if you're patient - the lessons are on rotation and change every Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Siivola posted:

While I'm all for throwing Windsor money (he is the coolest of Guys :downsrim:) I think it's fair to warn y'all he's planning to write a new rapier guide sometime soonish. The Companion is probably not terrible by any means, but in a year or three there will be something even better around.

Devon Boorman of Acedemie Duello also has a rapier book on the way!

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Siivola posted:

It's been this way since at least the 18th century when Domenico Angelo wrote his School of Fencing. He wasn't the first to write about the smallsword, either, so the principle of "extend, then lunge" is probably far older. Couldn't find it by skimming Capoferro's rapier manual, though.

Capo Ferro says everything moves in one tempo, but doesn't spell out the order. I don't think he gets more specific.

Ridolfo Capo Ferro (Jared Kirby's translation) posted:

I move with the vita, the legs, and with the arm pushed forward all in one tempo to be better able to strike the adversary.

Giganti very clearly spells it out, though:

Nicoletto Giganti (Aaron Miedema's translation) posted:

The true way of throwing the stoccata is beforehand when you are set in guard, it behoves you first to throw the arm and, & then increase forward with the torso in one time, when thus the stoccata arrives, so that the enemy unaware; if you first carry forward the torso, the enemy will be aware, & thus saved by having time to recover, & wound in one time.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

General Emergency posted:

What kind of creative bags do you guys use for transporting your gear? Swords are so long it's been a pain to find a good bag that'd fit a longword or a sidesword and hopefully a mask and gloves and stuff and hopefully work as a backbag too. I guess I could use separate bags for the swords. I've been eyeing something like maybe a bag for skis or a snowboard or something.

Hard golf travel cases work quite well.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Siivola posted:

I went and I fenced and I did 0-5. I'm not too bummed because I had some close bouts in there. If I just tighten everything down a bit and flesh out a good game plan, I should do pretty well next time. :shobon: Sword and buckler is a lot of fun, it's a bit of a bummer how people seem to focus only on the single sword in Bolognese circles. Might end up having to travel to Britain or Italy or something next year if I want to get my buckler-swash on.

Next up, I think there's going to be the foil club tournament in two weeks unless everyone takes a day off for independence day. (poo poo, arse, I need a foil mask.)

Edit: Oh right pics! I'm the guy in the white jacket. https://www.flickr.com/photos/toroti/albums/72157676862381275

Edit2: Also I have the gnarliest bruise in my thigh right now. I might have to invest in some padded pants before I try my luck at longsword. :v:

Are you using a Cold Steel buckler? How badly does that get chewed up by steel?

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Siivola posted:

Yeah, it's a Cold Steel. I didn't check how they looked afterwards, but they felt really good and sturdy. I'd wager they last way better than any proper wood-and-leather one, at the very least. I'm actually considering getting one myself, but that'll have to wait for a bit.

Interesting! I'm thinking of picking up a couple, myself. They have better handles and are half the price of the current steel offerings.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

Siivola posted:

I found Hey Gail's fencing manual.

[x]

quote:

However, if your grace will be assaulted on the way home, by a whole group of enemies, then take your rappier with both fists and shoot it at the whole group, and see hereafter where your grace can gain further protection, because need sometimes breaks iron, ere you live, there you give.

Hundt is fun.

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

married but discreet posted:

Is this artistic license or actual distance in rapier fencing?

I'm not particularly familiar with Hundt's fencing system outside of some of his quirky plates, but in my (mostly Italian) experience, that would be very close. In Capo Ferro's book for instance (1610), even when someone attacks into an attack you don't usually see examples of anyone getting that close unless there has been some sort of seizure of the weapon or hand. For example, both of these plates show strikes that were responses to attacks:

Without a seizure

With a seizure

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!
Lake Capo Ferro, Alfieri also recommends a sword that measures from the sole of your foot to your armpit. For me that's a blade around 46". Pretty long.

Siivola posted:

It's a bit curious how it ended up being the Spanish who got a reputation for ridiculously long rapiers later in the 17th century.

I'm pretty sure I've read that the smallsword was embraced more slowly in Spain than elsewhere. Could have something to do with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invincible Spleen
Nov 13, 2008

HEY, TAXI!

BirdOfPlay posted:

And these are all single handed swords? :what:

Why do you think the dudes in Capo Ferro are so ripped?