Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Tsunemori posted:

Here's a question - Kendo is mostly two-handed, so as a result we fight square-on facing the opponent. The left hand holds the sword at the bottom, and the right hand just under the guard. Generally it is said that "left hand is power, right hand in control" - because using the right hand for power results in a "bashing" motion, as opposed to slicing. If Kendo players must choose a hand to fight with, I think most would pick their left.

Fencing however, only uses one hand. While I'm right-handed, my left hand is stronger. What sort of benefits/difficulties would I have with left-handed fencing? Should I try switch around and learn to fence with both hands (so I can reenact The Princess Bride)? Another thing to keep in mind is that in Kendo, the left foot is behind the right, and is the one doing all the pushing. However since fencing is fought sideways, and thus the back foot is perpendicular to the line, I'm not sure which side would be better. Any advice?

Thanks again for the thread and sorry for the questions.
My .02 on this.

Fencing, in the sense of foil/sabre/epee is much more about speed and control than power. If you fence righty long enough what you'll probably find is that your right arm catches up to your left in terms of strength just from using it that much more, but the control you're used to exerting with it will be a big advantage over trying to use the stronger, less refined left arm.

Also, and this is from watching the video you posted, the stances look fairly similar. Right foot is forward and pointed towards the opponent. Left foot is behind, though I can't see which way it's pointing. If you're going forward in fencing and you're right handed, the left foot is still the one doing all the pushing unless you're maybe doing some kind of cross-over movement with the legs.

Basically fencing left handed will be awkward as hell at first because you'll have to put your right foot back and now everything is on the opposite side of what you're used to. Try switching your grip and stance in kendo for an idea of what that might feel like. In the long run if you fence left handed you'll probably wind up with a bit more versatility in that you'll be able to fence decently well on either side. If you fence right handed you'll be even better at all the right handed stuff you're already doing anyway.

Buried alive fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Crazy Achmed posted:

Did I tell you the joke about the sabreur?
Never mind, there's not much point to it. :shepicide:

I can understand why some people like sabre. It has the edge over the other weapons.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Actually it was this guy I was thinking of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0LpsnO0E4U

I know this is opening a can of worms, but this shows what happens when the line of transmission is broken.
Any sport, any martial, anything where speed and/or power is needed will tell you to use the hips to generate it.
I don't understand why these re-created European sword arts insist on ignoring that?

It seems like a lot of it has to do with the fact that a fair amount of the source material is dealing with the context of a duel with unarmored combatants. If you've got something sharp and you're hitting something soft, power matters way less in terms of being able to cause an injury.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Nektu posted:

:)

Use that year to learn the theory, nomenclature, read and use online forums and sperg about equipment and so on.

Regarding physical training, imo your best bet is that one of the other 9 persons is a martial artist - train the stuff he is doing. Even if its not swords, it will probably prepare you far better for swords in the future than anything you can do as a complete beginner by yourself.

Also use that year to become really, really fit.

I just wanted to expand on this and say that if any of the other 9 people are into any kind of physical thing that involves most of the body at all; weight-lifting, dancing, martial arts, etc; then you would probably do well to hook up with them. Becoming aware of your own body, where it's going and how to control it in various ways is general skill that overlaps with a lot of stuff and you only get bad habits if something conflicts directly with what you eventually want to start doing.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I have an instructor who does the same thing. The basic answer is people start in foil because it's the most limited weapon. Limiting the number of targets (and the number of strategies/tactics one might employ in a bout) allows a person to focus more on developing good technique and control. Once they're solid, then they move on to other weapons.

Modern, pre-electric sounds like a way of saying "We're not using rapiers, but we're not actually doing the most modern version (electric) that there is.) Classical, to me at least, sounds like you're studying Capoferro or something, which isn't quite what modern, pre-electric fencing is and definitely isn't what electric fencing is. A shorter answer might be that modern, pre-electric has no flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Is this pretty indicative of saber fighting?
https://youtu.be/n5w2Mh6CyXo

It's interesting to watch, but it looks like they're aiming for each other's sword a lot. Am I seeing it wrong or is that part of the technique?

It's possible that they're simply positioning themselves well enough to be able to defend, counter, defend against the counter, etc, etc. As in when one person starts a swing he's aiming for an opening, but the other person moves to parry and they clash, then the person who parried attacks an open spot and the one who attacked initially defends against the counter and so on.