Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Are there any interesting storylines or competitors going into this Olympics? I fenced modern saber and historical rapier and broadsword before my knees got wrecked, so Olympic fencing is always on my to-watch list, and I'd love to have more stuff for the Olympic Storylines Thread. But since I don't really follow the competitive aspects of the sport these days, and major news coverage barely even knows fencing exists, it's hard to pick out the fun storylines or know who to root for before "person from your country."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Cessna posted:

Tl;dr:

- Oh is tremendously athletic and may well represent a new way to fence sabre.

- Szilyagi is precise, classic fencing.

- Homer is the one you want to win - root for him with your heart - but we don't know if his surprising techniques have staying power.

This whole writeup is awesome, thank you! Would you mind if I reposted it in the storylines thread, unless you want to put it there yourself? Also, go Homer, the flunge is the most wuxia of saber techniques and therefore the most fun to watch.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Cessna posted:

You're welcome to repost it, just mantion my name or quote me.

Done and done - thanks for the effortpost!

Xiahou Dun posted:

PS longsword is really fun and I recommend trying it, hell yeah. In general, always try a new kind of fencing if you can as long as it's not dangerous or whatever ; I ended up never really getting into a sabre but I'm still glad I tried it for a bit and if someone walked up to me right now and asked if I wanted to mess around for funsies I'd totally say yes*.

*I'd just also get my rear end handed to**.

**This is not unique to sabre.

Seconding this, I greatly enjoyed my time with longsword. It'll also encourage you to do some interesting new routines at the gym, because boy those are not the same muscle groups. Also seconding the "as long as it's not dangerous" part, I never had so many injuries as I did in my time with a pre-HEMA longsword group that was basically just working out of someone's backyard with some printouts of period manuals. Find people who acknowledge that swinging large relatively heavy pieces of metal around at high speeds can be dangerous and who make safety a priority, and it's a great time.