Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I suppose the rapier-and-buckler set sometimes fence sword forward and mostly use the shield to stop simultaneous hits when they strike.

In my experience it's less sometimes and more that I can't think of a rapier manual offhand that wants the fencer to stand buckler foot forward as a standard thing. At least in my experience the buckler's used to support what the sword is doing, yeah. (Even in the not-remotely-historic parts of SCA rapier. ;) )

Though now that I've said that, I know that Manciolino has some buckler foot forward guards, but those don't read to me as "shield side forward, super defensive" because tiny buckler.

quote:

There's a few examples of the 'classic' Bellatrix shield form from the SCA. Not historical, but effective practical technique if limited by the rules of the SCA's game. The annoying bit is that, at least when I last researched it some years ago, the paper trail on historical European weapons use doesn't really pick up until the 14th century, when larger shields were falling out of fashion, and mostly only covers sword and target.

A friend of mine is starting to look into some of the Spanish manuals, specifically for the larger rotella stuff. I have no idea what's in there, and it's certainly much later than what I'd guess you're into, but it might be something, anyway?

Edit: spelling is hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Perestroika posted:

So this is a question that probably goes more towards the historical end, but of course all perspectives are welcome. In many movies or novels that feature swordfighting, there's often that moment where one combatant will step close, do some twirly thing with his sword, and suddenly his opponent's weapon goes flying. Now, I've wondered whether that has any basis in reality. Are there any treatises or schools that feature techniques specifically focused on disarming the opponent? If so, how common and effective are those, would they be a reasonable choice in any given fight or only something very situational?

I've taken a couple introductory classes in Destreza - Spanish rapier combat - and according to the instructor, they were absolutely included in the system. It wasn't like a kind of twirly bit with your sword - more getting your hip against the blade, grabbing the ricasso, and twisting your body to lever it out of your opponent's grip. If they don't let go, you might break their fingers, though.

As he explained it to us, the Spanish manuals had a heavy ethical underpinning, and being able to have the option to win a fight without killing your opponent was a big deal. He also noted that at least one author put it in the practical sense of, "If you end up in a duel with the Duke's son, being able to win (and preserve your honor) but not kill him (which would probably get you massively screwed over anyway) is a good thing."

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Rabhadh posted:

Does tennis elbow ever actually stop being a problem

Mine got better with PT and using this weird rubber therapy bar for exercises a lot. So... maybe?

Also, about using sharps, I've never gotten the chance to but I really, really want to, mostly for my own personal understanding. Some of us have tried to fake that kind of "point-fear" and push home the idea of defense before everything else with betting on who buys dinner and the like, but that's just not the same, I don't think. It just seems like a lot of concepts will click home for me in a very different way at that point.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Fabris resources! Anyone know of any online?

A while ago, I lucked into a dirt cheap copy of Tom Leoni's translation of Fabris and I'm happily working my way through it and integrating it all into my fencing. There seems to be a lack of folks online who really work his system, though. The forums on Tom's website seem pretty much dead, so I figured I'd ask here.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

tirinal posted:

I hate you. You have no idea how long I've been trying to find a copy.

Someone was just getting rid of some stuff they didn't use anymore. A couple knee cops, demi gauntlets... and that book. $40 for it. I grabbed it so fast and it's never left my house since. A friend of mine scored a copy from Ebay; someone was selling a bunch of rapier manuals, and included that as well. Maybe another copy will turn up there?

Word from Tom is that he's trying to get that version re-released (I think there's an issue getting ahold of the print files or something?) and he's actively working on a second edition - with much better plates, too! He'll be taking scans from his personal copy of Fabris' work, so they should be much clearer.

No idea when that'll be done, but hopefully soon? It'll probably end up being published through Freelance Academy Press.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Dzurlord posted:

Word from Tom is that he's trying to get that version re-released (I think there's an issue getting ahold of the print files or something?) and he's actively working on a second edition - with much better plates, too! He'll be taking scans from his personal copy of Fabris' work, so they should be much clearer.

No idea when that'll be done, but hopefully soon? It'll probably end up being published through Freelance Academy Press.

Quoting myself but according to Greg Mele, the guy behind Freelance Academy Press, Tom Leoni is looking to have a second edition of his Fabris translation out in the first half of 2016, and they should have a precise date by the end of this year.

Our long dark nightmare of Lack Of Fabris will be over.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Also, there's a translation of a Dutch manual with single rapier, rapier and dagger, rapier and buckler, halberd, and pike that's available now!

I have no idea how it is, but it's surely the only Dutch manual that I know of, so I'm grabbing it because I'm that kind of nerd.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

D'oh, fair point.

That said, I'll be interested to see how the use of rapier in this manual compares to the other general styles in use at the time.

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011

Siivola posted:

well they're an SCA nerd

:v:

Ugh. I get so cranky with SCA people who poo poo things up. (Probably because I'm an SCA person and enjoy chatting with not-SCA sword folks.)

People in the SCA like playing with swords while wearing doublets or whatever. People in HEMA schools or WMA groups or whatever like playing with swords while not wearing doublets. How is this a difficult thing to handle?

But poo poo, now I need to move to Texas so I can go to a Wal-Mart with my sword. I think that's really the most important thing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dzurlord
Nov 5, 2011
Last week was my SCA region's big tournament, and unlike past years, we had a whole lot of people filming it and posting them to youtube and whatever.

Which is pretty nice, but augh, now I'm just obsessively re-watching the videos I'm in and nitpicking the poo poo out of things like rolling my rear ankle, terrible dagger positioning, and why am I not even passing forward ever?

I really appreciate that people took the time to film and post everything (and we should be doing this more at local practices too) but goddamn, it's like hearing a recording of my own voice when I look at the videos and all I can think of is "I'm fighting like traaaaaaash."

Time for more drills forever, I suppose. At least my local practices have a good number of like-minded Drills Are Life folks, and not just people who want to suit up and Do Fights With Swords.