Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
If anyone is interested in historical manuals for various weapons they can be found here: http://www.hroarr.com/manuals-books/
Not all of that stuff is in English, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

A long time ago I trained in epee for about 2 years in this place: http://www.espoonmiekkailijat.fi Itīs a good club, but, like the School of European Swordsmanship it is in a bit of a strange place. It's in a massive nuclear fallout shelter, tunneled into the bedrock under the town of Tapiola.
The place is huge enough to house the fencing club, a table tennis societ, an archery club, a gym, a place for training gymnastics (complete with a pool filled with cubes of foam) and who knows what else, those are the areas that I have actually seen.
For some reason fencing clubs here tend to end up in really odd places.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

So I finally got around taking photos of my new sword, cut/thrust blade of the type ordered by Sweden in bulk during the 30 Years War from the Dutch.

The handle:

Tonic water bottle for size reference :

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 7, 2016

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Blade is about 82cm or 32 inches long, sadly I have nothing to weight it with.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Also, has anyone here trained with a dussak? One of these things:

A local group trains with these and I have been to a few sessions, it's quite interesting. It's like fighting with a short sabre or a cutlass.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Has this been here before? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GoQlvc_H3s

Really awesome short film about Fiore.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

So a length of 19mm (or 3/4" for you yanks) aluminium pipe costs a few dollars from the hardware store. They make great blade protectors for my foils/epee/sabre and I can confirm they really do make a really great schwing sound when I draw them :hist101:

It won't mean a thing if it ain't got that scwhing.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Just started the Bolognese beginner's course yesterday and I'm already browsing webstores and looking at gear. It feels extremely interesting. Might even make it to the Helsinki Bolognese Open, but I expect to get flattened there.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

So, after a couple of training sessions of Bolognese I find it really interesting. Can't wait to get to do freeplay at some point. It's nice that the beginners course has about 20 participants so it isn't just a couple of people. Also, it was nice to note that the sword I bought for re-enactment is appropriate for training Bolognese, but I won't take it to actual matches as I don't want to totally destroy the blade.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

you...don't want to put wear on...a reenactment sword?

brother, the wear is what makes it look more realistic, plus if the metal is strong and springy it should be fine

I do, I just don't want it ending up looking like it was used in fencing practice by Wily E Coyote. Also, it doesn't have the finger-guarding loop (ricosso or something) that a Bolognese sword should, so I won't match with it as I don't want to shatter my fingers. With a slightly stiff leather glove it just feels so very right to the hand, compared to a plastic/rubber trainer I used in the first session.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Any opinions on how good this : https://www.amazon.de/Polish-Saber-Richard-Marsden/dp/0984771654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504260608&sr=8-1&keywords=polish+saber is about its subject?
To my understanding Marsden is a not a fraud when writing about swords.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Completed my Bolognese beginners course last week and I'm aching to get enough kit together to properly spar. Sadly I can't fit a Red Dragon (I know they aren't the best possible ones but they were immediately availible) glove through the handguard of my GARS sword so I'll have to buy a proper bolognese one at some point.

Also, some folks at HEMA International Discussion went off the handle rhyming things about Fiore (and other sword stuff) to the tune of That's Amore:

When three jerks say 'hey sup?'
and you just f*ck them up,
that's Fiore

When an man with a crown
Turns you right upside down,
That's Fiore...

when the halberd comes down
slice the hand off that clown
that's the 'hoffer

when you go tit for tat
don't forget your swan hat
that's fiore

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Oct 12, 2017

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Finally got a Bolognese sword of my own, one of Regenyie's models. Feels nice to be consistently training with the same weapon, as the GARS one I had couldn't be used with a Red Dragon glove.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

So, last weekend there was the Helsinki Bolognese Open 2018 tournament, the first actually serious fencing competition I have been to since I was about 10. I participated in both sidesword and sidesword+buckler and that was one heck of an experience. Didn't manage to win a single match but that wasn't too surprising as I have only been training for a year, but one sword+buckler match came close, I lost it 4-3 when the time ran out (in a system where 7 points win a match). The best thing about the tournament the opportunity to fence with people whom I would normally never face and to sit down for beers with them afterwards.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Siivola posted:

Rule #1 of buying HEMA gear: Ask your instructor. Lots of teachers have their own pet preferences. Lots of old school teachers demand fingered steel gauntlets, for instance, while the sporty generation forbids those and says to buy Sparring Gloves instead.

SPES and Black Armoury are good places to source protective kit. Sparring Gloves make popular gloves. Regenyei and Kvetun make good, reasonably prices fencing swords. Field hockey shin guards go well with long socks. If you're in the States, sorry, you gotta order almost everything through an importer.

Don't buy cheap knockoff stuff like Red Dragon unless you know you need some specific thing. Don't buy Neyman, they can't stick to deadlines.

Yeah, Red Dragon gloves are kinda cheap but bad. Here in Europe many tournaments might not permit steel gauntlets and some societes don't permit them to be used in sparring. I have experiences of SPES, Sparring Glove and Neyman and for all the the quality has been solid. Neyman can't keep their promised delivery dates but I bought pompous renessaince pants from there and they are awesome (but arrived 2-3 months after the initially promised date). SPES Officer Jacket is good and I like the style.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Here is my kit for the Bolognese tournament (sans mask and sword, everyone was given a similar (Kvetun) sword to fight with.
https://imgur.com/a/NvHgLFs

Jacket is SPES, trousers Neymann, gloves Sparring Glove.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Well, my club advices not to buy metal gloves as they are not permitted in all longsword tournaments and so many use Sparring Glove, Spes Heavy ro something similar. I ordered a custom pair of Sparring Glove lobsters with hourglass cuffs and I have liked them. I have taken hits to the hands from feders without problems.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

To my understanding because metal gloves in close combat (binds etc) could lead into people being punched into the face or other tender parts with a metal glove. A synthetic/leather one doesn't have that much mass and the risk is smaller. I think this rule is issued by at least some Swedish tournaments and as Sweden is both close to us and they run bigger tournaments than us we tend to kit ourselves accordingly.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

For those who want to travel a little to attend an event the Helsinki Longsword Open 2019 has opened registration. Includes longsword, singlestick and cutting competitions, more informatio here:
http://ehms.fi/hlo-registration/
All weapons are provided by the event so no need to worry about transporting swords in a plane.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

https://kvetun-armoury.com/

They do make really nice feders (our club store sells them), out top longsworders use them over regenyei. I'm planning on buying their "Irish feder" at some point, their FB site has picturest of it.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Nektu posted:

I havent tried those in particuar, but all the neyman stuff that I tried up to now looks great on the internet and feels super flimsy once you actually have it in your hand. Personally I no longer bother with their stuff :shrug:

I bought their arm and shoulder guards to fit into my SPES Officer Jacker so I can do longsword with it and at least the armguard pieces are fine, I took some rather solid hits without really feeling it. I could post a photo of my current longsword kit, arms and pants are Neyman, jacket is SPES, gloves Leon Paul, legs KneePro+hockey shinguards.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

EvilMerlin posted:

Feders need to be approved per tourney. Mostly these are the Regenyei, Albion, Black Horse, Chewbowski (spelling is bad), PAvel Moc, Ensifer, Castille, BSK, Darkwood (limited), Comfort Fencing and some of the older Arms and Armour stuff. Other feders can be approved but they need to be approved before going to the event.

My club (EHMS) has a policy where the swords used in the bigger yearly tournaments (Helsinki Bolognese Open, Helsinki Longsword Open) are loaned to the contestants by the club, so that everybody fights with similar weapons. This is not a option for every club, of course, but it has kept people from using badly outdated or badly damaged weapons. I think the feders we will use in the upcoming Helsinki Longsword Open are made by Kvetun.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

So, here is a picture of my gear:

Jacket: SPES Officer Jacket.
Trousers: Neyman Royal Renessaince Trousers
Shoulder, Bicep & Wrist guards: Neyman
Gloves: Leon Paul Hema Gloves V2
Shin Guards: Random hockey shin guards I ordered from the German Amazon.

Not pictured:
-Mask (SPES, with normal HEMA neck protection).
-Gorget.
-Groin proctector.
-Knee protectors.
-Plastron.

With those arm protectors that jacket is durable enough for feder sparring and as the cloth breathes it is quite nice.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

How was the delivery time from Neyman? I like the look of their stuff, but wasn't sure what kind of turnaround they do.

I ordered the trousers more than a year ago and they took 2 months over the promised time, the arm guards about half a year ago and they arrived in time, and the bicep guard in November and they arrived much faster than initially specified. I had heard that they had a hard time keeping up with the demand but they seem to have sorted that out.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

So Helsinki Longsword Open 2019 started today with singlestick pools and eliminators. Didn't make it to the eliminators but had some good fights and my personal goal of winning at least one match during the whole weekend I managed to do. The Facebook page has information about the event for those interested, the finals will be streamed live tomorrow starting at 18.00 (GMT+2). https://www.facebook.com/events/297097031075846/

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Here is the website of the tournament, the scoring rules can also be found there:
http://ehms.fi/hlo-registration/

And here is footage form the tournament with commentary from Matt Galas & Alexandr Stankiewicz, including the finals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfYPyhr_Fno

Edit:
Starting with longsword eliminations, I didn't make it that far. Not really suprising, this event saw quite literally some of the best longsword fighters in Europe, and I have been doing longsword for a bit less than a year. Wasn't the very last either in longsword or singlestick, so I'm happy with my performance.

Edit2:
Also, here is a picture of my longsword gear on me, sans the mask:

Ataxerxes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 20, 2019

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

About scoring in HLO, more details can be found in the website but the basics were, if memory serves:
-Strike/thrust to the head, or thrust to the torso: 3 points.
-Strike elsewhere, or one-handed strike anywhere: 2 points.
-Disarm (opponent loses weapon, you maintain yours and open your distance so that you are in measure): 3 points.
-Ringout (you push your opponent out of the ring): 2 points.
-Controlled takedown (you bring opponents three limbs to the ground but don't go yourself) 2 points.
-Controlled lifting (you lift your opponent so that both of their legs leave ground, no throwing allowed) 2 points.

In case of a double hit the main judge could either assign no points (if the hits were judged to be of bad quality), or the difference in points to the one who scored the better hit.
Bouts would end at 10 points or after 3 minutes. Draws were possible, except in eliminator matches or decisive final matches.
There were three assistant judges in each match who would indicate hits with flags, and a main judge who would state the points scored. The main judge could also give warnings for striking after "break!" was shouted, hitting or exposing the back of the head, unsportsmanly conduct etc.
Forbidden areas for blows were the back of the head, spine, back of the knee, groin, foot from ankle down.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Also, there will be more footage of the event coming to Youtube, they released this teaser.

https://imgur.com/ffTP7d3

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

I have found, to the extend that Covid permits training, that Hema sabre seems to be just the thing for me. Enough mobility and potential for things and it isn't as light and fast as rapier.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

That throw crossed the line to 'dick move' for me when the thrower had the other fighter hoisted up by the short ribs and helpless (because you're not going to kick someone in the dick or start throwing pommel strikes in sparring), then paused for a moment before deciding to slam him on a wood floor with his own body weight behind it anyway.

Yeah, most of the tournaments I'v been to would have given the thrower points the moment the opponents feet left the ground. Also, controlled takedowns were permitted, but that sort of slam didn't look very controlled to me.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Mmm, not a lot. Andy Fisher got some 'analysis' videos, but they have a lot of kendo terminology, which may make them a little hard to digest.
Quick guide: You have 4 targets: 3 cuts: 'Men' (top of the head), 'Kote' (right* forearm), 'Do' (side of the torso) and 'Tsuki' thrust to the throat.
Competitions are best of 3 points, ties go to OT.
'Seme' roughly translates to 'preparation'.
'Oji-waza' = counter techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXoyFsd3bM4
This is for a promotional exam and points aren't counted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVVT_UB1-68&t=124s
From All Japan Championships.

*In any other stance than 'middle stance', left forearm also becomes a valid target.

Also (at least here in Finland) pushing your opponent out of the ring is both permissible and gives you a point.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Consider some historical military sabre. Whole different game with an actual blade simulator instead of a wire whip.

Yeah, it is great fun. So many different styles and views of how to do things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

10 Beers posted:

Anyone have experience with Krieger Armory?

https://www.kriegerarmory.com/

I have their Hema sabre and I have liked it so far.