Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Anyone ever poke a dude's eye out with their blade? I came close once I think, just had it in my hand facing away from the people in front of me while talking, but somehow or another moved my hand backwards in such a way that the foil went straight back and up towards the team captain's face. Tbh if he started wearing an eye patch I think he would have struck more fear in his opponents.

That being said, ~10 years later I'm thinking of taking up the hobby again. Going to want to buy a bunch of safety gear sooner or later because I am clumsy. Aside from footwork and reading, what should I start practicing again before signing up for some actual lessons at the local club?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
The last time I fenced was a bit over 10 years ago. I distinguished myself by almost stabbing our coach in the eye, and by sparring without having my electronic stuff plugged in. Otherwise, I was terrible, but I was learning.

Is there room in the average fencing club for those of us who are competitively inclined, but are otherwise not good at the sport?

I'd like to git gud, but with all that's gone on lately, it's a little intimidating to consider going back.

For what it's worth, I initially practiced with foil, but I'm down with epee, and my local club has a two handed longsword which seems :krad:

Any advice?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Much appreciated, thanks for the great posts everyone!

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Is anyone familiar with Forge Fencing in Durham, NC?

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Foil is the only thing I've used before, but I would basically be starting from scratch regardless. I'm leaning towards epee or longsword this go around.