Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
nvm

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, uh, how do you deal with hitting/getting hit in historical rapier? Those things don't look like they bend much.
You electrical-tape a thing to the end of it or get a nail, which is what they used to practice with at the time.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 11, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
The real danger in historical weapons are staff weapons, there's no way to make them truly safe so there's a few things I'll never get to do with other people in my chosen style.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

El Spamo posted:

sabreuers are the local community theater.
based on the only sabreuse I knew personally, I'm going with "short heavily muscled lesbians with anger issues"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

your knuckles...bashing on the basket...
Giant freak hands, checking in.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I think it's funny that this is the same thread that had a debate about whether or not women are strong enough to fence men

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I bet this dude was fine at fencing

General Alessandro dal Borro, 1600-1656
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alessandro_dal_Borro

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

El Spamo posted:

It's definitely not in the 'advantageous situation' column.
Check out this guy's arm:

From the Battle of Luetzen mass grave excavation

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Welcome to turn-of-the-century France
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rElNQuBvFeQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vybUtd4GOnU
please enjoy your stay

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I met a German frat brother in a hostel in Erfurt once; his scar was on the back/top of his head and he told me that's where a lot of them aim for now since in the right neighborhoods if you've got one on your face you'll get beat up because people will think you're a Nazi

Cool guy. He used the exact same word for "drinking a beer as fast as you can" and "the noise a sword makes when it hits another sword or a person." (Their beer of choice? According to him, Corona--since it has very little taste it's easier to down as fast as possible. They buy them by the flat)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
This dude said he was a conservative and then I asked him what he thought about immigration into Germany and he said he wanted more of it, putting him, in American terms, somewhere to the left of Rosa Luxemburg

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
It's not feudalism, it's the late 19th/early 20th century's view of the Japanese past which, hilariously, was filtered through a reverse-weeaboo's idea of what medieval Europe had been like.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

dupersaurus posted:

your wiggling tip
:wink:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
every reenactor i know who's done it more than, like, five years has knee pain and ankle pain

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

tirinal posted:

Yeah. The masters of swordplay aren't the guys that can defeat other masters, it's the guys that can defeat novices and drunks.
but they are also the drunks

it's the middle ages/early modern period, it's drunks all the way down

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

thewireguy posted:

How rare is it to kill someone before they can stick you? I would think that hitting a leg and waiting for them to bleed out is fine, but I think sport stuff implies prolonged brawling where both parties score, and therefore die.
you can get cut w/o dying

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Vnnsr means "us," not "them." Perhaps some sort of ritual beginning to the fight? "We're starting to fight now: may God not forget [either of?] us." (Not sure what the genitive is doing there)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I used to fence barefoot until I got some 17th century shoes for reenactment and started wearing those to fencing, since a lot of modern sneakers are too grippy to let your feet slide forward correctly. It was no big.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ravenfood posted:

Do you not have any epeeists where you are or something? Barefoot toe touches seem ugly.
I do 17th century fencing, and they usually aim for the face, neck, or chest. You can't kill a dude by sniping his toes.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazy Achmed posted:

Feet might not always be target but I can't see how some sort of footwear is a bad thing. by all means wear thin/slightly slippery soles if that works for you, so long as you get the control you need out of it, but it's the situations where something goes wrong where you need the protection. I've seen plenty of novices doing a poorly-executed lowline parry where they go way too far with the blade and end up banging it into the ground.

Basically it's the same logic as wearing a mask in foil. The face might not be target but it doesn't mean you won't accidentally take a hit there...

of course. as soon as i got proper shoes i wore 'em

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

Wearing masks when drilling is an absolute rule, but very few people wear gloves.
the difference is because americans, in my experience, are huge babies about getting hit on the hands

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it's all a knife-on-a-stick, there's just different stick : knife ratios

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BirdOfPlay posted:

All sports are awful to ref, believing otherwise is naive.
he meant that at some point in history, fencing changed from a thing where you are encouraged to grab a dude's sword and punch him in the head (good) to one where you are penalized for it (bad)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

Not in a tournament, no. But in the original context, it's anything goes.

I will strike you so hard in the groin
That all of your strength will be taken away.

"Taken away so quickly," look at the si p/oi there (scribal abbreviation for presta)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 9, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ScratchAndSniff posted:

It's just so bizarre. I read that, and I've no doubt Windsor knows what he is talking about, but his conclusions and assumptions are just so foreign to me that I wouldn't know where to begin describing where I disagree.
i think it's about the difference between fencing as a sport and fencing as a way to kill people and defend yourself. Of course we're not going to actually go out and get ourselves killed, but the mindset behind the second is important to get if you want to really understand one of the martial arts that had that as a founding assumption

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

Does tennis elbow ever actually stop being a problem

i'll trade you my wrists and ankles for your elbow

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

But bruising is the best thing! You don't have anything to show off otherwise!
I got whacked so hard on my knee this weekend that the bruise left a perfect imprint of the nails that hold the pike's federn (the metal strips below the head) to the shaft.

edit: thrusting my long, inelegant weapon over and over

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 9, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

10 Beers posted:

I thought those strips were called langets? Or is it just the same thing, but in different languages?
i live in germany right now and communicate by pointing at random poo poo and asking the people around me what to call it, so probably

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
you're the second faroese i've ever met--what percentage of that region is that?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
yeah i'm into this kinda niche martial art

you probably haven't heard of it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ScratchAndSniff posted:

What is the most hipster weapon?
probably what i do, tbh

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
it was never cool

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
my sword is still not ready

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dzurlord posted:

Also, there's a translation of a Dutch manual with single rapier, rapier and dagger, rapier and buckler, halberd, and pike that's available now!

I have no idea how it is, but it's surely the only Dutch manual that I know of, so I'm grabbing it because I'm that kind of nerd.
nah, this dude's dutch

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
rip ImplicitAssembler's wallet

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
got a sword now

also got a friend who likes photography

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
danelli

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Siivola posted:

Nice.

So, do you know how to use it yet? :v:
come try me and see :ese:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also that's a nice looking rapier. How much does it weigh?
no idea. i live in a youth hostel now and don't have a scale. it's slightly heavy though, which is probably better because a delicate sword might get snapped while i'm doing this:
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-24-oktober-2015/
http://live.slagomgrolle.nl/fotos-slag-om-grolle-25-oktober-2015/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also that's a nice looking rapier. How much does it weigh?
about 2.4 pounds