Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ScratchAndSniff posted:

Even experts have bad days now and then. For the sake of everyone else reading this: Even blunted weapons can mess up your eyes pretty badly. If someone points a weapon at you and you aren't protected, you are taking a serious risk.
This is our teacher's stance too. Way he tells it, he started insisting on masks during all pair drills after his friend (a very experienced fencer) walked into a wooden practice dagger and lost an eye. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

For foil, anyway, the "danger zone" is usually roughly when the tips cross - I'm not sure how much this changes for longsword (what is the typical en garde position for that, anyway?) but maybe there's some rough equivalent for you.
It's kind of a tricky thing, because the way longsword masters thought about it was, you don't really stand in a static guard like later fencers would. Instead, guards are a tool for breaking movement down. In Fiore, you might start in posta di donna destra, strike a mandritto fendente through posta longa and finish in posta di dente di zenghiaro. Or, in English, start with your sword on your right shoulder, strike a descending forehand blow through your full extension and finish with your sword at your left hip, pointing down and forward.

(I find the Italian useful, since it reminds me that Fiore is not Liechtenauer is not Suio-ryu. All of these have descending forehand blows, but the context is probably different across the styles.)

So yeah, there really isn't a knack to measuring your distance in longsword. You kinda just have to see it, and that's something that comes with pair drills and pellwork.

Keldoclock posted:

Is there anything like spear fencing? Always seemed like it would be easier to learn and more effective, but google only gives results for like, wooden fences with decorative spears.
Not to the extent people have written about the longsword, but there are a bunch of sources. Probably the most approachable are Antonio Manciolino's Opera Nova from 1531 and Joachim Meyer's A Thorough Description of the Art of Combat from 1570 (note that he only writes about the staff, but the principles are the same), and Diacomo di Grassi's The Way to Employ Arms with Certainty, also from 1570.

They're approachable because it's Renaissance and they write like actual people. :v: Doesn't hurt, of course, that you can find all three books published fairly recently in modern English, too: Manciolino on Freelance Academy Press, Meyer also on Amazon, and di Grassi on Lulu.

If you want a more sporting version, you can look up naginata-do (or, occasionally, atarashii naginata). It's kind of like kendo, but with the Japanese glaive.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jul 8, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

Siivola, so what are you generally doing with your weapon, then, if you're not attacking or being attacked by your opponent - surely you'd be doing some kind of guard or threaten? Or do you mean that there's no particular preference/tendency (whether taught as a "default" or just what people usually gravitate towards) for any particular stance?
Nektu got it well, our instructor also encourages people to move from guard to guard while out of measure. The guards are such that you can always make a strong strike or a parry from them, and the opponent has to deal with that first before she can proceed to lopping off your head.

That said, if you look at tournament footage, people don't really do that a whole lot. There's a lot of waiting with the point in line sport fencer style, with no passing steps or other historical oddities. It wins points, I suppose.

Here's what I think proper longsword tournament fencing should about look like. There's a beautiful exchange at 1:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuUBu_k170

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Now that you mention it, that is pretty odd. I don't think it's that they're actively fleeing the bind as such, it looks more the blades just immediately deflect and it goes into a parry-riposte-parry-riposte rally. I haven't had the chance to do freeplay so I'm just guessing based on the drills we've done, but it's probably a mix of blunts, stiff gauntlets and prioritising speed over strength in the strikes that is to blame.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Not in a tournament, no. But in the original context, it's anything goes.

I will strike you so hard in the groin
That all of your strength will be taken away.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Unlike steel blunts, sharp swords actually stick together if they meet edge-to-edge, kinda like you see in Star Wars. You can try this out if you have a pair of sharp knives at home. If the swords bind like this, you can't just pull back and strike again ("'Katapultfechten" is my favourite new word) because you'll get stabbed in the face the moment you give up the pressure, so you have to figure out another solution. Fiore solves it by moving in to grapple, Liechtenauer by winding. Our teacher thinks it's because Italians and Germans used swords of different length:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlLa6VnNRaI

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure I.33 is all about using your sword and buckler together to create binds and then sort of wind your way into victory, while German messer sources use the free hand to grapple.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah well Leküchner's got everything anyway. Two books of 200 plays each on nothing but the messer. All the bindings and windings and grapplings you'll ever need, and a whole bunch you'll never need too. :v:

But you're absolutely right. I entirely forgot that even with the messer, winding is 100% a thing.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Dussack (known in Norway as "tessak") was also a type of backsword popular around Northern and Eastern Europe around Meyer's time.

Meyer's book is probably the most approachable source, but it should be noted he uses the dussack as a training tool for proper swords (including the messer), not just for sport fencing. If you want the latter, you should look into British singlestick, where you indeed lost if you received a bleeding wound on the head, or French la canne.

Edit: Here's a neat 19th century article on the singlestick. It's so endearinly British. :allears:

quote:

If any one tells me that my views of amusement are barbaric or brutal, that no reasonable man ever wants to hurt any one else or to risk his own precious carcass, I accept the charge of brutality, merely remarking that it was the national love of hard knocks which made this little island famous, and I for one do not wish to be thought any better than the old folk of England's fighting days.
Edit edit: I found the book the above article is taken from: Broad-sword and Single-stick

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 20, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Isn't that just epee without toe hits? :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Try push-ups or planks. Healthy and motivating! :v:

If you want to reward survival, start with a high number of reps and take a few off for every 10 seconds the loser managed to stay in the game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Jukendo is sort of sportified bayonet practice.

Edit: Oh hey, turns out Longpoint happened over the weekend. Here's the recorded stream of the finals. Stuff begins at 15:40.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB8HoiDK0Bw

Siivola fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jul 27, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Have you tried the HEMA club finder?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's a feder. It's originally a post-15th century training weapon that got revived fairly recently. That particular one is one of Peter Regenyei's Trnava models.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A rule of thumb I once heard was that twice weekly is enough to stay at a decent level, but if you want to improve, three times a week is the minimum.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just so you know, medieval dagger is the funnest, most unfair weapon known to man and if your club's not doing any dagger, you're missing out bad.

:ese:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

But bruising is the best thing! You don't have anything to show off otherwise!

Hazzard posted:

I have also managed to hurt my wrist doing fencing. I wish I was less bad at protecting my wrist and forearm. I can't even do press-ups after some intensive sparring the other day.
Is it hurt because of a hit or because you're manipulating the sword with the wrist too much? It's not strictly speaking wrong to strike with the wrist, but it's kind of a weak point in the modern geek's arm.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Got to model for Guy Windsor's upcoming advanced longsword guide. I'm famous now. :toot:

Edit: Spoke too soon, turns out we're going to have to re-take all the 300+ photos we took today. :suicide:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 8, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm very fond of the Regenyei steel longswords we have at our club, but finding them in the States might be tricky. Purpleheart Armory imports really pretty Ensifer feders, and I can't remember hearing a bad word about them. Purpleheart also deals in all sorts of wasters, in case you'd like something less metal.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rabhadh posted:

Ditch the long sword and choose the one true HEMA weapon: Mair Daggers

". . .thus you stab him in his genitals."

Hmm. Yes. I approve.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, you should really try to find a buddy. Fighting with swords is fundamentally a multiplayer experience and you can't really learn to parry a blow without someone swinging a sword at you. :( However, if you can find yourself a training partner, it's all good. There's a number of "HEMA for Dummies" -books available, and the existing HEMA community is proof that you can, in fact, learn to fight from a book. (If you've got someone willing to swing a sword at you.) You just need a pair of swords or sword-like objects and preferably also a pair of fencing masks, and you're good to go.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hiking's good, keep doing that if the island allows. If you want to be stronger, (and hey, who doesn't?) doing lots of pushups and lifting heavy barbells is good stuff. Goons over in YLLS are probably better at that side of fitness.

In any case, you don't really need to worry about training specifically for swordfighting, since the sword is basically a labour-saving device designed to make up for a lack in strength. Speed comes more from practice than exercise. On the other hand, strong shoulders make the sword lighter and a strong core gives you a better posture, so there are of course benefits to working out.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Here's a good blog post about training for speed: http://guywindsor.net/blog/2012/10/i-am-slow/ Tl;dr: Don't worry about it quite yet, it comes with practice. (Longsword fencers are also super lazy so we don't lunge a lot anyway.) (And also because very few sources show lunging motions.)

Upper body strength is good for fencing, because the stronger you are the lighter the sword feels, and the easier it is to manipulate precisely. Working out also opens up new nerve channels, which makes it easier to activate the correct muscles.

Thanks for reminding me I really should hit the gym again. :(

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A fencing mask is pretty big, but these are some thin dudes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Today I learned a thing: To fix my strike, I need to fix the guard it begins from. To fix my guard, I need to fix the blow that ends in it. Making progress. :toot:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Guy Windsor's giving out free ebooks of his Swordman's Companion for the next 24 hours.

It's kind of super outdated. :v: (He's been kind enough to footnote most bits where he does things differently nowadays, tho.)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

This is a very good drill and we do it too, but, y'know, you could just use a stick. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

curious lump posted:

The more I re-watch it, the more problems I find.
Imagine how they must feel, looking at the same things. :v:

Finally get the last steps of our school's "syllabus form" down yesterday. It's a solo form (kata, if you prefer) that includes the majority of our longsword drills and acts as a sort of a, well, table of contents. It's kind of a weird feeling to look at the thing, it makes me simultaneously go "I'm so bad at all these things" and "wait, that's all of it?"

Do you guys use solo drills in your practise?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Got the go-ahead to join the advanced class on Mondays. :toot:

Since it'll be the first Monday of the month, my first advanced class will be a freeplay night. Yikes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey, I've been thinking I should maybe eventually stop mooching equipment off my club, so I guess I'm in the market for a fencing mask. I do historical stuff so it doesn't have to be electrical, but the mesh should withstand the odd friendly knock with a blunt instrument. I'm sort of looking at the Leon Paul X-Change line because the padding looks comfy and, uh, it comes in pink to match my trainers. Do you guys have any experiences with that one, or other recommendations?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Our teacher and some of the seniors have those masks, they're apparently the bee's knees.

Leon Paul's apparently developing a stronger HEMA-specific mask, but it's not available yet. Also probably doesn't come in pink. :( There are also a couple of manufacturers that produce proper steel helmets with mesh visors for historical fencers. Aside from those, I don't know any sellers that make reinforced gear, most of the masks seem to be just black coaching masks. I can't find any mention of AF or PBT using stronger mesh, for instance.

We've got a number of LP contour fit loaners at our salle, they really are pretty rad. We apparently train less hard than Verisimilidude's club (who, granted, seem to do a lot more freeplay than "once a month" like us) since I haven't seen any cave-ins. Except for the cautionary example, that has been purposefully beaten shapeless to remind people the masks are not helmets. :v:

One issue I'm having with the loaners is that my head seems to be in the large end of size small, which means that all our loaners wobble a bit. Are mask sizes at all consistent across brands?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Haha. Ha. Heh. Screw masks, I just ordered my first sword. It cost way too much, yet I somehow can't think of any convincing reason why this was a terrible idea. :shepspends:

(I need want a sidesword and a Finnish fencing store just happened to have Darkwood Armory parts on sale...)

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well, now you have a terrific opportunity! :v:

Edit: Goodness, the Marozzo's a gorgeous sword.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:hist101: :swoon:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Today we fight with messers – may God remember us. :v:

Got a long-rear end messer seminar today. Pretty excited.

Edit: Trip report: Parried with my pointer finger. Survived. Really want a messer now. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 15, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I did the exact same thing today, only with a longsword (thankfully, with much less speed). I think what I need is more like a basket hilt. :v:

Anyhow, messer is super neat. Joeli Takala was our guest instructor for the day, and he's done a bunch of work on Johannes Lecküchner's messer treatises. The weapon's tiny and lightning fast, which makes everything terribly weird when you come from a longsword background. The messer is quick enough that you can easily redirect an attack around a traditional parry, so it's safer to keep your own blade close to your body with the point in line, and simply take cover behind it with proper footwork. In an ideal world you can bind against the opponent and just wind your point in their face, but it all happens literally within arm's reach (and sometimes you just can't stab a dude, because of laws or some poo poo) so wrestling with the messer is a big part of Lecküchner's book.

Incidentally, turns out a heavy-ish sidesword is a terrible messer simulator. There's a sword and buckler seminar in two weeks, I'm hoping my new dearie handles that a bit better. (We'll be studying the Walpurgis manuscript, it won't.)

Siivola fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 17, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hey chaps, are you interested in the Italian longsword? Guy Windsor's crowdfunding his new book and my goony face is in it! The book's a follow-up on his previous Medieval Longsword, and he's giving out ebook copies of that to all backers.

On a booky note, Christian Tobler also published a revised edition of his Fighting with the German Longsword if you're more into that sort of stuff. You deviants.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

what does this even mean
Competitive sabre blades curve forwards instead of backwards. Y'know, as sabres do. :psyduck:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The socks and the red hakama don't look like aikido gear, and the aikido sword syllabus I know is done entirely with bokken, without draws. I mean I guess they could be local aikido people who just cross-train an actual sword style, but :confused:

In other news, instructed my first (half a) class tonight and I didn't make any massive goofs! :toot:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Nice.

So, do you know how to use it yet? :v: