Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Holy poo poo, I have a lot to learn. I just had my second fencing mass with hema. I dont know why no spinning? And I am alwAys too close. I am used to hand/foot range... Is it frowned upon to trip or push someone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

I am definitely not trying anything, but I want to bad. My last martial art was capoeira and I want to twirl around and do stupid movie ninja poo poo, but I know it won't work. At least I have a little footwork under my belt. I have also done judo in college, and any time there is a bind, I want to throw them. Two guys compete nationally, but I think they are going to have to beat that out of me.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Rabhadh posted:

I very quickly got used to the range, but we're doing sword and buckler so I'm always trying to punch a fucker with the buckler. I was told the grappling is cool if it's your only option

Yeah, I heard it was a last resort, but since everyone is better with swords, I wanna rassle. Third class tomorrow, I was limping today, it has been 5 years since I worked out. I will take it easy and stay humble.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

And I keep looking at their feet. They are such an attractive target. I think I can get it without being hit, but am still learning forms. Too many king fu movies I guess.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

I know it won't work, I tried doing capoeira stuff with a boxer and he was waiting for me every time. I am a rookie and have to break my bad habits.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Oh and longsword. Daggers on Friday.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

It doesn't seem like there is a way to win a knife fight. And that seems much more likely than a sword fight. Tomorrow I am going to suggest a Mexican knife fight.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

This confirms my suspicion that anything like this is dumb as hell. Mutually assured destruction. I will continue training because I am a huge nerd who has played too much d&d as a kid. That and I am getting old and need to stay in shape... I was limping after the last session, staying in squat position for so long. Once I get used to this, I should be able to bounce up stone mountain next time.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Class time in 30 minutes, maybe I will level up this time :)

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

I did the konami code but I died more than 30 times... :(

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

"Winner dies in the ambulance, loser dies at the scene" is a pretty good description of fights with bladed weapons in general -- there are plenty of stories of sword duels where the "winner" preserved his honor by stabbing the other guy in the heart/brain and killing him on the spot, only to succumb a day or three later to a sucking chest wound because the loser stabbed him through the lung(s) early in the fight.

The only winning move is not to play... Yet we do. Is anyone going to Dragon con this year? Y'all can crash at my place and let's have a melee!

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

but they are also the drunks

it's the middle ages/early modern period, it's drunks all the way down

That's me! Maybe I have a chance after all!

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

As my coach says when people ask him what he'd do in a real swordfight: "bring a gun"

Indiana Jones? You jus t can't parry that poo poo. It is suicide unless the other guy is unarmed. Well, as long as everyone keeps the kid gloves on, it is all fun and games.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

The messers in this case are more like swords than stilettos, not really an applicable example.

Also I think everyone in this thread is being unreasonably dire about the difficulty of defending yourself skilfully with hand weapons. There are plenty of examples of such fights ending with clear victors and losers, the most stunning of which usually involve large weapons such as the montante.

I mean, if fights were such a death sentence how would we even develop the techniques to begin with? There is clearly more to the fechtbuchs than guys who have never fought before suddenly sitting down to write comprehensive systems of defence.

How rare is it to kill someone before they can stick you? I would think that hitting a leg and waiting for them to bleed out is fine, but I think sport stuff implies prolonged brawling where both parties score, and therefore die.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

you can get cut w/o dying

Great, so I win but am crippled? I guess that is something. You can take a punch and shake it off, but getting stabbed? I guess defense first, always.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Siivola posted:

I agree entirely. One medieval author writing about dagger defenses you maybe could disregard as ~low percentage~ bullshido, but the same techniques pop up time and again across centuries and whole continents. There's probably a meaningful difference between Fiore's abrazare, Meyer's ringen and Japanese jujutsu schools, but man, poo poo looks identical. It just makes no sense we have all these dudes laying down all this stuff for surviving a dagger assault (in Fiore's case, over 100 dang illustrations) if they make no meaningful difference. Not to mention all the German fencing guilds that made their money by training people to fight in a context where getting stabbed at was still a respected profession.
Clearly, I have a lot to learn. Nice drawings. I may buy a book when I have money to burn.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Waci posted:

You grossly underestimate the human body.

I know if somebody stabbed me, I would stab them back. Loss/lose

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

I got a blood blister on my big toe.I guess I am not steeping and dragging my feet.I less sore on the quads, but both big toes and balls of feet are rubbed raw

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

My feet used to rub sore all the time, but I started wearing these socks a couple of years ago and haven't had any problems since.

Upon closer inspection it looks like I made a blister and it burst on the other foot. I guess this is how calluses are made. :)

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

We do it barefoot on mats. Last time I was limping the next day from going up and downhill with the fencers walk. I am getting used to that, now my big toe and ball of my foot are rubbed raw. Capeoira taught me bad habits. People will stab you in the back if you try any swinging around, but I think we have covered that.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

The Holy Queef posted:

This thread is loving amazing when read with gizoogle.net

end of shitpost

That is amazing. I am imagining Kevin Federline (sp?) holding a foil sideways like a gangster. Proclick, bravo!

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

I'm fairly certain I can put an Uhlmann barrel+tip on an LP foil blade. What about the wires though? Can any wire go with any barrel?

I forged a firepoker and used copper for the handle. Can you just wind whatever wire around there? I wish I could forge my own sword, but it has been 15 years. I won't but some generic thing.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Yup, fencing barefoot. I don't know any better and that is how it is. 6 th class tomorrow. Wish me luck.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

Whoa, definitely wear some closed shoes - you don't need anything special, sneakers or trainers of some description will be fine. It'll be way easier on your feet and if your opponent spazzes out and accidentally steps on your foot (or stabs it), you'll be really glad you were wearing something. Good luck to you, though!

I don't know if that is an option... Nobody does. I just thought I was being a huge sissy, and am trying to suck it up and wait for my calluses.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

It seems like it is over after the second or third strike. And I would like to thank everyone for no I'm gay and kill you are self. I guess I should stay out of gbs.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

I had a really bad week and asked the instructor/sense i if he would defend while I flailed around like an idiot to work off my aggression, but he said I had to be there 6 months before I could do that. :( I suppose it is frowned upon to hack away at punching bags too.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Crazy Achmed posted:

What's so bad about reffing epee? I'd have thought that fretting over the minutiae of priority rules would be worse.
Nice to see that they're being a bit laid back about the hair.
Second or third strike?
We're not gay, we just want to touch you with our tips.

Yeah, the point usually happens after the second or third strike. It is over pretty quickly.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

What you want is a pell, which is basically a log sunk vertically into the ground. Good luck!

He said I have to be there six months or more to spar. I don't have my own sword. I do have a fire poker I forged in college. I guess you will say I should choke a pillow instead of the homeless or hookers too. gently caress me. I am too sore to do anything anyway.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Yeah, it is hema. I don't have any gear myself, but gloves and a mask with the neck protector part for what they will let me do. When they spar they have something that looks like a catchers body guard and elbow and shin guards with hard plastic on them. I am glad they didn't allow me to be an idiot. I am over it now, but just wanted to work out my frustrations. I won't be able to make it today because I have to put up a sign for the airport :(

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

They said full gear, including a steel sword costs about $1,500, 500 for the sword. Is this accurate? Links?

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

dupersaurus posted:

I'm not a HEMAer, but I'm going to propose that asking to spar "to work out my frustrations" is probably not a healthy way to go about the sport.

I know, I know. I thought it might be better than kicking a dog or something.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

I am definitely trying to work out my bad habits, and was not surprised that nobody wanted to fend off a suicidal idiot. I am living paycheck to paycheck. I may have to give up eating out, but what first?

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Oh, mistakes definitely make a quicker impression that drilling. Take that from a newbie.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

No they don't. Take that from an instructor :)

Don't get me wrong, I understand getting the fundamentals down first, I have done several martial arts. But getting your knuckles rapped is a big deterrent. You don't know why you are doing what you are doing at first. Pain is a great teacher.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Holy poo poo, they want 100 to 2,300 bucks for the art of combat by Joachim Meyers.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Kemper Boyd posted:

Wearing someone else's mask is sort of like wearing someone else's jockstrap. On your face.

The old-timers at my club said that they used to not wear masks while drilling back in the day and somehow there were zero accidents.

You have convinced me to get a mask first.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Siivola posted:

Okay which one of you is the guy going "this would never work in the cage" in the comments? :v:

It is suicide unless you are Conan or kung fu. But I would totally watch that, like mmabattlebots thunderdome. I would be in favor of the new death race 2000 sorta law.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

I would pay per view for Mexican knife fighting hobos.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

It seems like everyone paints their facemask... Post yours? I was thinking of a comedy/tragedy mask, but I would like to see yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

When I went to get my lacrosse gloves, the guy showed me fencing gloves that were thin leather with no padding. I know I don't know what I am talking about, but is he right?