Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Until you have your poo poo down, just GO SLOW. I need to be reminded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
That is one thing I learned from capoeira, to step in. The meaty part of your leg does not hurt like the heel would. I also am having a hard time maintaining sword distance.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Relearned an old lesson. Footsweeps do not work unless you are picking up or putting down your foot. drat, I am rusty.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Keldoclock posted:

Is there anything like spear fencing? Always seemed like it would be easier to learn and more effective, but google only gives results for like, wooden fences with decorative spears.

Or axes? Maybe that sca stuff... I am not trying to get Olympic, just have fun. And be king nerd one day.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

That was neat.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
As a rookie, I have been doing mostly basics for a month now, but they will throw in an advanced move at the end, usually in a bind, where you turn the sword upside down, let go with one hand, grab it again and t urn and pull t he other guy, sometimes ending up with his sword in your hand. (this is hems) I never see the other guys doing this when I watch the big boys spar after hours, but it is pretty fun.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Rabhadh posted:

A lot of techniques that work from the bind are impossible to do with blunt weapons which is a huge shame really as I really want to dent some fuckers mask with my buckler

I want a shield bad. I read a book, fiction, not a manual or anything, where the hero was instructed to put the shield in his dominant hand so that he would focus on defense first. I thought that was profound.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

This is correct, though not "encouraged" in a general sense, just encouraged under the right circumstances.

That doesn't make any sense to me. The dominant hand is your weapon hand, so really it would just make him less effective and/or teach him ambidexterity maybe?

This is correct. I.33 shows striking with the buckler, and Stephen Hand has shown a pretty good interpretation of attacking with a centre-gripped shield, some of which probably translates over into the flatter kite shapes and other strapped forms.

Yeah ambidextrousness. I try that out regularly. I have a fear of losing my hand, maybe star wars did this. Also, the green belt in judo was trying the throes on the other side, so I see how that is valuable.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

It's very difficult against anyone with a decent grip, but disarming someone from a bind is doable.

After I practice the basics, they usually throw in one of these, where you are in a bind, let go of the pommel and reach through to grab it again and throw the other guy. But from watching the big kids spar, things go way to fast for that fancy stuff.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Nektu posted:

Throws/joint locks and so on are opportunistic (up to a point) in every martial art. poo poo does indeed happen though and you may find yourself in the posiiton to apply one. And if you are good at it, you can absolutely encourage the issue by closing the distance and bringing yourself in a situation where an opportunity will probably arise.

In the context of fencing however: why would you (normally) do that?

gently caress if I know. I did judo, so I really want to rassle, but those dudes are too quick. Nobody holds a bind for any length of time.

Somebody else answer his question, I am interested.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Is it okay to kick? I know I should be asking the people I practice with. And know you are opening yourself up... I think I have too much kung fu poo poo in my head, but seriously, if grappling is okay then is it a free for all? I asked the elder student about trips/Footsweeps and he said it okay, but most likely not the best move. At sword distance it is stupid, but I don't know the rules. These guys are going to Baltimore for a national competition. I have a ton of dumb questions waiting to be beat out of me.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I have no desire to compete. I am just a big need trying to get back into shape. Somebody gave me a slightly hard time about wanting to flail away like an idiot because I was angry, but I actually got to do that yesterday, and defend against that. It was pretty fun, one guy with his back against the wall defending, and the other guy attacking. I got the elder student twice, but could tell he had me counterattacking dozens of times of he wanted.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Haha, as these guys are training to compete, I am willing to have them beat up on me. Maybe I will learn something. :) I think I played too much d&d as a kid. I have the art of comat and a plastic sword in order.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
The major members of my class are going to Baltimore for a competition this weekend. Are any of you going there? Hopefully with a week off my quads will stop being sore.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm going along with the majority of my school.

Cool, somebody better post this on the internets.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
My guys are Atlanta freifetcher.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Hey versimilitude (sp)? How did you/yall so? The main guy got gold in wrestling and another got 3rdor 4th place.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

The Trvana is supposed to be one of the better feders on the market currently. I know the feder by Pavel Moc is larger, and that's still safely within the realm of the longsword.

We did pretty well. I didn't fence because I signed up late, but most of our people are relatively new to the scene (maybe less than a year or two) and they almost all advanced in their pools. I think my teacher Tristan got gold in wrestling in his weight class, and maybe 4th in cutting? He usually wins cutting every year, but this year Dustin Reagan went ape and owned everyone at everything, taking first in open longsword, cutting, and the triathalon. The dude won basically all the good prizes, which you can see here.

The sharp sword itself is worth more than $1300. Not too shabby.

edit: Also HEMA gifs!

http://i.imgur.com/deT3mlX.gifv

A sword trophy? Sweet. I wish I could do that kick flip to standing up move, but I am getting too old for that poo poo. Y'all keep up the good work. I got in my copy of the art of combat, but this is probably not going to do me any good. Reading and doing are different things and I don't get the subtleties. Ah well. Time for bed, class tomorrow.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Do the stupid fencing step up and down the beach all day. Squat while you do it. You need to build those muscles. The beginning sucks.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Ha! I have to do it up a minor hill and am limping the next day. Do that damned exercise. after you are worn out, then basic training starts. Keep it up. It is pretty fun.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
I keep doing a one handed swipe sometimes. I know two hands are stronger parry but why not? As long as you get the hit?

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
We did a new cool drill with those kickboxing arm pads and I found it really helpful. I had to sidestep to get a good hit instead of standing face to face. It really brought home those damned footwork drills that have had me sore for two months.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Just met an older lady who did kendo. I am gonna hack some bamboo off and get schooled. Wish me luck!

My people are putting on some performance at Dragon con.
If anyone of yall is in town, you can crash on my sofa.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
They let me spar yesterday and it was fun! 3 months and I guess I am trustworthy enough. After the 2 handed broadsword we used A one handed one that felt like 1/4 inch plastic wrapped in leather. I stayed after and watched the big boys play. So fun. I have bruises. Keep it up goons. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

Who do you study with?

Atlanta freifetcher. (sp)? It is pretty fun, but I turned 40 in May and have been sore ever since, trying to keep up with people half my age... I don't want to get fat and lazy, but have no desire to compete, just stay active.