Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Kim Jong ill posted:

What the hell are you talking about?

Yeah, this. Bucklers are excellent for fencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

ScratchAndSniff posted:

No way. If you use Fiore's dagger fighting techniques properly you will walk away without a scratch.

I don't study a whole lot of the historical manuals, so this'll probably sound ignorant, but how is that block useful? Wouldn't he just draw along your arm and punch you with his free hand, since you've used both of yours to block his single hand?

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

ScratchAndSniff posted:

I don't know. After you block his knife with your wrist you probably just do some really complicated armlock while the apathetic knife-attacker passively stands there.

I was watching an Italian rapier instructor's video where he was showing disarms that basically came out to the same thing. You wrapped up their blade in your arm and hit their forte with your sword, which only works assuming they let go at the slightest hint of pressure and have a habit of leaving their sword out for about a second after each lunge.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
It seems poor to rely on a technique that assumes your opponent has a bare minimum of training or experience.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Kim Jong ill posted:

It's actually pretty dumb to dismiss techniques taught by a respected fencing master in a time when fights with the intent of causing serious bodily harm or death were a real and frequent occurrence, just because you saw one simplistic drawing completely lacking any context or further explanation. Unlike every modern martial art taught outside of a military force, what he was teaching was expected to be used in real fighting.

Thanks for getting mad on behalf of a guy who's been dead for hundreds of years. Here's some posting advice in exchange: next time, if you don't actually have a response to a post/point (beyond going full autistic), just don't type anything at all. Thanks and god bless.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
getting whipped doesn't even hurt you little pussies, especially if it's not on purpose. you shouldn't be getting hit anyways, see above.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
A rapier is like 2 pounds, which, if you get tired using an epee, is probably too much for you. Do more pushups.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Re: retreating when you parry - you can't always ensure that your parry will be perfect. Someone may move faster than you, have little/no tells, disengage, etc. You retreat when using a parry to give yourself time to complete the parry and, if need be, ensure that you are not hit even if the parry fails. This does not mean you have to take a massive step backwards - if you know your distance, and the range of your opponent, you should be able to tailor your step so that their point would just be missing you even if you did not parry.

Re: hands vs waists - I've never heard this discussion ever come up, so I might be misinterpreting. You move your hand first (this is what I've been told, and seems consistent with my fencing experience), extending your arm fully, and then move your body in a lunge. This is because your body moving is a large tell, and a skilled opponent will see it coming. Your hand, however, will not generate that kind of response - it's a very small movement, moving straight forward, and not easily visible. This way, by the time you are moving your body in a lunge (your opponent now seeing it coming), your arm is already extended, so you do not have to travel as far - meaning that they are less likely to make their parry.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
:snypa:

ImplicitAssembler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRJED1eCXww
0:40 it's in slo-mo. It's what I would call a typical lunging attacks and he moves his feet first.

He took a step forward, then extended his arm and led into the lunge. He is not moving his feet before the lunge.

Also, kendo is completely unrelated to rapier and there is no point trying to compare them.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Since we're still tangentially on the discussion of cuts, how fatal/dangerous would a rapier's draw cut to the side of the head be? They always seemed like bullshit to me, especially when someone was landing them right before a wheel cut to the face, or a point to the chest.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Zeitgueist posted:

Yeah for the most part the serious injuries from rapiers are from stabs, not that it's impossible to kill with a cut provided your sword is sharp enough. I believe(don't quote me) that historically rapiers would have only been sharpened near the tip to 6" from. Also there's possibly made-up stories of folks hammering their point slightly so that it was jacked and caused a cut that wouldn't close easily, though I dunno that folks would do that to their expensive weapons.

Heavier swords, no doubt.

I've heard of the former but never the latter, but little historical details were never my forte. And yeah, kills from cuts were definitely possible although mostly things like the neck/inner thigh/stomach were the best targets for a kill, and even those required a decent draw/push.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Verisimilidude posted:

I did a 5 minute gauntlet last night (one fighter one minute each) to test my endurance wearing full gear. I did ok, and I got some neat footage from the first minute and a half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IpgL-n6LDk Normal speed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiCWW_QXacY Slow motion.

I'm on the left at the start.

why doesnt one guy just thrust and stab the other dude when he misses his swing and leaves himself 100% open

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Verisimilidude posted:

Generally the idea of HEMA fencing utilizes not only attacking but successfully defending yourself in the process. Someone may be open, but a thrust might not be possible without suffering the repercussion of an afterblow from the stabbed. You have to be judicious when you commit, especially to a thrust, which generally requires you to be more in measure than a cut might.

you can close the line after making your attack, which should be at the same time as any counter blow from your opponent. of course, i dont do hema longsword so i might just be speaking from a position of ignorance

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

El Spamo posted:

I saw one guy's epee literally shatter in his hand. We were halfway through the bout, and I came in and hit his bell guard on the way and all of a sudden his entire weapon falls apart into pieces. Blade, bell guard, plug assembly all fall on the floor and he's just standing there holding the grip attached to nothing.

I had that happen to an opponent after I did a particularly hard inside glide. Turns out it managed to break the tang at the top of the handle, causing it to practically disintegrate in his hand. :(

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Can anyone recommend a good fencing school near Renton or Seattle? Not really interested in learning, per se, but free sparring and the like.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

BirdOfPlay posted:

What weapon? I'm not on the West Coast, but do know people out that way.

This is a fair point. You do have a background in fencing, yes? Within the past 6 months? I'm not really comfortable pointing you to a friend's club if you're a dumbass.

I did olympic foil for four years and I have done historical rapier for three after that, and continue to do so, and drill and train harder than any school below a national competitive level would. That said, foil or epee sparing would be ideal.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
If you wanted to go defense with a shield, you can just shift so that your left foot (and thus your off hand) is forward, which makes it easier (?) to defend, and keeps your weapon in your main hand.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

That's... pretty much standard shield fighting, yes. Shields are for hiding behind, not throwing out dramatically behind you.

Was this somehow in doubt? I mean, the whole point of a shield is that you have an object to block your opponent's lines of attack and lines of sight. I suppose the rapier-and-buckler set sometimes fence sword forward and mostly use the shield to stop simultaneous hits when they strike.

It was a response to thewireguy but I misread what he said, so it ended up being irrelevent,

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

That guy in the lighter grey is pretty bad. Dropping his guard on a recover, not taking advantage of an easily controllable guard, getting too close (although they both had a problem with that), and not maintaining control of their blade. And they both had a tendency to lunge with the body instead of their arm. Also, they don't take advantage of their opponent's obvious vulnerability when they over commit then recover. The more I re-watch it, the more problems I find.

e: and the 1-2 pump. lmao

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

Do you guys use solo drills in your practise?

My rapier class uses a few of them, mostly to practice moving from one position to another.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

Well I die if I eat peanuts, but yeah, in principle.

I think I need to rope some of the guys to fence me on weekends or something so I can get used to it all. Trying to deal with all the kit and the heat and someone trying to whack me in the head for real is overwhelming enough that I run out of patience for poo poo like "five pushups for every double hit". No, gently caress you, I finally have a kit that fits, I just want to loving fence instead of fiddling with rules.

You sound like you're a poo poo fighter and will never improve from there.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

fite me irl

i would and you'd lose b/c i understand where i went wrong, take my lumps, and don't do it again. your attitude towards fencing is everything wrong with both SCA and HEMA.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Siivola posted:

Please come fite me irl, I could really use it.

If you're really interested in fighting and in the Seattle area, feel free to hit me up.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

HEY GAL posted:

hey.

he may be in the wrong here but don't insult him

tragically, hema is even worse than sca

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

In what sense?

Sorry, for rapier. I always think of them in that context. In retrospect, I'm sure HEMA is superior in every other aspect.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Verisimilidude posted:

It's probably because all of the best rapierists consider themselves more classical fencers than HEMA fencers. But in my experience, the SCA fencers have a tendency to lose pretty handedly to HEMA fencers in rapier competitions.

The worst SCA fencers are probably worse than the worst HEMA fencers, but I guarantee you that the best fencers are all in the SCA. I don't think anyone can watch something like the Swordfish Finals and think HEMA is good.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

DandyLion posted:

SCA rapier is absolute rubbish. I have little love for HEMA tournament rulesets, but SCA rapier is about as artificial and inadequate an analogue to actual rapier combat as collegiate epee fencing is.

A lot of the stuff the SCA does is gimmicky bullshit, but that is not true. Everything the best fighters (not the people swinging their swords around based on some lovely wood carving) do is perfectly effective in real life. Don't mistake people who fight a very pretty historical style (Tom Leoni, Puck, etc) for being good.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

How many people you seen killed by rapier cuz

It's pretty obvious what would and would not be fatal - eg, getting a rapier point through your eye. Don't be obtuse.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

It's not actually very obvious, no, unless all your bouts end with a rapier through the cerebellum. SCA also practices the lightsabre rule of fencing: you get hit somewhere and that part is unusable. This stands in marked contrast with actual accounts of rapier duels, where even injuries that would eventually prove fatal did not stop the fight. So SCA is not "real life" fighting, and I'll gladly take the instruction of people that use swords to kill over people that use them to play.

I'd say 90% of my bouts end up with a tip on someone's face/heart/lungs, because I'm not a shitlord who cheeses to win. Some people are, but I don't consider them good fighters.

Also "I'll gladly take the instruction of people that use swords to kill over people that use them to play." lmao what does this even mean are you literally retarded or something.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

lol no they don't

Historical manuals were written by people who killed other people with swords. you play pretend and act like it's the same thing.

Lmao look at this guy. First off, I'm not an SCA fencer, but do you think they don't follow the historical masters? They're big into historical fencing, just like HEMA is, they just like to simultaneously dress up at the same time. Trying to talk poo poo but you don't even know what you're talking about? Smdh.

And yeah, they do, because I'm not poo poo, and because I train realistically.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

homie historical fencing literally is HEMA. what do you think it stands for?

They're two separate organizations, but SCA still does historical fencing. They follow historical masters, do historical styles, and read historical rapier treatises. Did you have some idea that they just ran at each other with nerf bats or something? And on another note, how badly do you fight that you find 90% killing accuracy hard to believe? Do you just flail your sword around at the other guy and hope you get a tip cut on him? Do you blindly aim at his gut? Really confused here.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

HEMA Alliance and HEMA are different things my dude.

My point re the 90% thing is that rapiers don't kill super quickly. Like there is a rash of duels where both fighters are killed when the rapier becomes popular because although a narrow puncture to most vital organs will kill you, it won't drop you like a stone. Aside from the psychological effect of wounding (shock, etc) there isn't anything stopping the person you're fighting immediately. It's one of the trickier problems to tackle with historical fencing but still worth talking about.

edit: It's not confined to the rapier either, like there is a 16th century case where a dude got his brain laid open with a halberd and still made his way back to camp to get seen to by a surgeon.

No, they don't kill super quickly, which is why you aim for a part that is going to kill them - if not immediately, then soon after, and cover your escape and retreat to safety until your opponents body catches up with them. That's why all my guys train for major arteries, the heart, or the head because realistically, if you hit one of those, you are probably going to kill them really quickly. Believe me, all of that is explicitly addressed in both training and sparring. None of that has anything to do with my initial points, though.

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Crazy Achmed posted:

Actually parrying is surprisingly effective in epee, though.

??????????????????????

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

he's parrying tho

e:

Siivola posted:

The website says the tournament's for good fencers only so I'm going to pass.

I'm unreasonably salty about the whole thing, but I would sure like a beginners' tournament in the Nordics in the fall.

you'd have to be pretty bad to be worse than the people at swordfish

e2: I'm just so baffled at someone saying that parrying is a good idea. Imagine a thread for foot ball enthusiasts where one day someone just exclaims "Hold on a moment, running with the football is a GOOD IDEA"

curious lump fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 4, 2016

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
That sounds like really lovely technique that will get punished when they go up against a better fencer

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If you rely on parries and ripostes, why should any opponent fear you?
Similarly, in order for ripostes to truly work, you have to force the opponent to attack on your timing and you can only do that, if you put pressure on the opponent, but if the opponent doesn't fear you, that's unlikely to happen.

what the gently caress is this poo poo

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

dupersaurus posted:

Speaking from a sport foil perspective, if I notice someone's only looking for the riposte, then immediately I know that: 1) I have more power to control the distance since I'm not worried about being countered or attack-in-prepped, and 2) I'm looking for compound attacks. Not that it means it's going to be easy, but being able to ignore multiple variables significantly reduces the complexity for me the attacker. Throwing in just an occasional attack or counter, even if not successful, makes me think a lot carefully about #1.

That said, there's a huge difference between being defensive and being passive. You can fight over distance and push me around without ever attacking. Some people have parries that are Just That Good, but I'd say (at least among peers) more often than not successful parrying is about distance rather than blade skill.

"Fear" might be too strong a word, but the sentiment is valid.

It's certainly more about distance than anything else, but I'm going to 'fear' someone with a strong parry and riposte more than someone with strong blade control or lunges, because when you attack into someone, regardless of whether or not you are controlling distance or setting up for a second attack, you are exposing yourself dangerously by leaving your position of strength and losing your leverage and measure to bring yourself into an enemy. The second someone can control your incoming blade and counter attack, you are most likely hosed without recovering extremely quickly. (which you won't if you were trying to bring your blade into a second attack)

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot

Ravenfood posted:

This is definitely the epee speaking, but someone with a good parry/riposte, or someone basing their tactics around that, is begging for either snipes at the wrist, a disengage, or a counter-parry. If I don't have to worry about them attacking me while I'm setting up, so much the better. There's a fencer in the circuit here who has pretty decent parries but no attack whatsoever. He gives some people trouble, sure, but he's piss easy to throw a ton of attacks/feints out and then punish when he overcommits to a parry. I'm not sure why everyone is ignoring counter-parries, disengages, or coupes here. And yes, the blade dynamics of epee are very different from a longsword/historical fencing weapon, but if you're unable to set up a counter-parry, you're over-lunging in my opinion. Most of my points in epee are scored on the attack: not necessarily the initial lunge, but on a planned counter-parry, disengage, or a by baiting out their attack.

If you're controlling distance, you're not exposing yourself because you, by definition, have the distance and the timing because you're the one choosing to initiate the action. You control both. Can you still be parried? Of course, but that's your mistake for attacking when you did. Set up your attack better. And since your opponent is focusing so much on the parry, you should be able to set it up well.

A parry is an automatic reaction to a tell that you give off when you attack, either by poor technique or because you were at a distance where the brain has enough time to see, process, and respond to the attack. There is no such thing as "making a mistake for attacking when you did." And of course you can counter parry, but an opponent can also take control of your weapon, which negates attempts of counter parrying because you cannot move your blade without first disengaging it (either by moving the attack blade to an outside line as in a parry one, or by moving back and removing your blade from their's.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curious lump
Sep 13, 2014

by zen death robot
hema go home