Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What's your opinion on long arms in epee being OP and needing nerf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Discussion: Would foil be better with larger target area? Would epee be better with right of way? Would sabre be better if nobody did it?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'd use my perfect footwork to run the gently caress away.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I think this discussion is about a hypothetical where an epee fencer without weapon would go up against someone who is trained in punching and kicking people. Yeah they're gonna lose, no matter how good their footwork is.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm looking into learning some Rapier, but the only place that offers lessons around here is the SCA. How much dorky fuckery should I expect?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Zeitgueist posted:

Where are you located?

If you're looking for historical they may be the only option, but there are a lot of new clubs even in the past year all around the country.

And SCA depends highly on the group region. In my area there's a big crossover with folks who really know their poo poo, but that's no true everywhere.

I'm in Edmonton :/. I actually heard good things about the people there in regards to personality.

Knowing nothing about rapier fencing whatsoever, how can I tell if they are doing it properly? What would doing it historically accurate even mean? How does rapier fencing technique differ from olympic fencing?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I've done olympic fencing for many years, so I know how game-y it is. Ain't gonna pistol grip twist turn flick someone with a rapier...
I'm more interested in the actual bladework differences. A rapier is much heavier than a foil or even epee, so I imagine it's much more about prise de fer than fast disengages?

ScratchAndSniff posted:

If you want to sperge about historical accuracy, ask them to quote their sources when they teach techniques. There are a lot of translated manuals nowadays which you can get pretty easily, so if they answer with "we are doing this because it works" or "this is the way I learned it" they are probably just teaching sport fencing with rapiers.

Sport fencing with rapiers would be fine with me, even if it's just a less suicidal version of normal epee.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 4, 2015

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Zeitgueist posted:

The HEMA club finder lists at least 1 group in Edmonton, though I have no idea if they are any good.

Oh, that's useful! I've actually been to the one club listed, but they don't do rapier and are also far too expensive for me :(

From the replies it sounds like I'd be fine with SCA style-rapier even if it's not necessarily 100% historical. I just don't want some total europeeaboo fantasy bullshit.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Zeitgueist posted:

T With rapier, the lunge is mechanically different than a modern lunge and you will need to be moving your hands first.

What's the difference?

Also am I misreading of is someone seriously claiming that in modern fencing you lead with your feet?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That link about the duel led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmS2nSm5n2Q

It's funny how they're passing off some unarmed dude doing distance parries (nice ones admittedly) as somehow very impressive.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Wouldn't real life lightsabring just amount to slightly less suicidal olympic sabre?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I feel like fencing is the only sport where being scrawny as poo poo gives me a legitimate advantage. Also not having boobs reduces your target area a lot, so I would call it very manly.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
This habit usually stops when they get stabbed in the hand.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

That's really cool! Fencing would actually be a good spectator sport with visual aides and slowdowns, but alas...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If you do 20 pushups you die

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You know what sucks? Having to switch hands cause your good one got tendonitis. How does anything even work? How do I walk?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Kendo is fat weebs pretending to be animes hitting each other with broomsticks

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm just picturing a sword person running in a big circle with the pike person rotating in place until they fall over from vertigo.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
So stabbing is not a thing in Kendo?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

I am the wishy-washiest. I took a short course on the smallsword a couple of years ago and the period is neat enough, so I started thinking it'd be cool to revisit it. Problem is, our teacher moved to England and I don't think there's anyone left in the entire country who really knows their Angelo. So now I'm considering...

Learning foil. From sport fencers. :gonk:

I mean, it's just a practice tool for the real thing anyway, right? :v:

It's cool and good and you don't have to worry about hurting people so you can go at it fully.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I don't know, not having to hold back but being bound by rules that prevent suicidal charges is part of what makes foil so great for me. I'd prefer epee if it had right of way, but double touches are the worst.
I'm definitely going to at least try rapier and/or smallsword if I get the chance, but how does the transition to actually having to be careful to not murder your opponent work out for long time sport fencers?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That doesn't really make sense to me unless you're talking about real life swordfights. In the latter case, either my opponent fearlessly attacks me and gets parry riposted, which is good, or he doesn't attack me at all, which is also good because nobody is getting stabbed. Also I can probably run faster than some dude carrying a sword.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I don't think fencing (of any kind) is a terrible spectator sport because of the rules, but because it's too fast and dependent on tiny nuances in what the fencers are doing. These are hard to judge when you're not actually in the bout yourself, unless you slow it down and provide a lot of visual aids for spectators, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leOP7rWwBpw

Simplified rules results in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWiaRhQDZFE

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

ScratchAndSniff posted:

While I admit that was painful to watch, tweaking the rules and toning down the period equipment could make it better. Old school MMA matches looked dumb too. Plus, just look at this thread. Different styles have a lot of rivalry. The demand is there.

I agree that the speed/tiny nuances being a big factor, but try explaining priority to a non-fencer and watch their eyes glaze over. Watching 2 guys hit each other at essentially the same time 5 or 15 times in a row using identical techniques and then declaring a winner isn't fun.

I don't think priority is any more confusing than the rules of football, baseball and what have you. And it's there to avoid exactly that kind of bout you're talking about.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Rapiers are dex weapons you scrubs

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Let me tell you about Dark Souls

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Regarding the earlier discussion of the evolution of sport fencing, what's the reasoning behind the target area in foil? Seems like the head would be a very legit thing to stab.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

HEY GAL posted:

people started foil fencing for sport/fun before modern masks were a common thing, it's for safety

That's what I'd think as well, yet epee/sabre are perfectly fine with it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
When you're fencing epee

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Siivola posted:

I found Hey Gail's fencing manual.

[x]

Is this artistic license or actual distance in rapier fencing?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I call bullshit, these are just tiny people.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Barry Lyndon my man, but it comes with three and a half hours of non fencing related cinematic bliss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Couldn't you just do Kendo then?