Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

Watch (and critique) my fat rear end doing some practice cutting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqj6dMEVxA

I'm a complete fencing noob (just started longsword this January), and I'm curious as to why, in the cutting that you're doing, your stance has the same foot forward as the should to which your sword is raised. It's probably because I'm so used to "right vom tag, left foot forward, left vom tag, right foot forward", but it just looks weird. Is it to avoid having to step to do a cut?

Fake edit: Just tried swinging my longsword around in the kitchen like an idiot, and that's still my best guess, since it feels less awkward to temporarily hold an off-foot guard than it is to try to cut down toward your forward leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

The Trvana is supposed to be one of the better feders on the market currently. I know the feder by Pavel Moc is larger, and that's still safely within the realm of the longsword.

We did pretty well. I didn't fence because I signed up late, but most of our people are relatively new to the scene (maybe less than a year or two) and they almost all advanced in their pools. I think my teacher Tristan got gold in wrestling in his weight class, and maybe 4th in cutting? He usually wins cutting every year, but this year Dustin Reagan went ape and owned everyone at everything, taking first in open longsword, cutting, and the triathalon. The dude won basically all the good prizes, which you can see here.

The sharp sword itself is worth more than $1300. Not too shabby.

edit: Also HEMA gifs!

http://i.imgur.com/deT3mlX.gifv

What's the name for that style of sword on the bottom? The kind with the non-fullered blade and big chunky rectangular ricasso?

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Siivola posted:

It's a feder. It's originally a post-15th century training weapon that got revived fairly recently. That particular one is one of Peter Regenyei's Trnava models.

Is there any substantial difference between a feder with plain rectangular ricasso and the kind with a spurred trapezoidal ricasso?

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

yeah i'm into this kinda niche martial art

you probably haven't heard of it

kind of a hip-hop martial arts system

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

So this might be relevant to you glasses-wearing HEMA dorks. Absolute Force sells a mask with a protective cover - http://www.afinternationalsporting.com/product_info.php/products_id/145/cPath/8?osCsid=u1rr37olckec8vjvqk921tb2c1 - which comes already riveted on.

And due to the placement of the rivets and the way the inner lining is constructed, you can do this:

You can slip the arms of a (preferably cheap) pair of glasses into the little affordances made by the gap between rivets, which is quite conveniently located so as not to affect the ear vents:

Which also means that the glasses will be snug at perfect glasses height.

Best part is that you can take the mask on and off repeatedly without dislodging the glasses, so they should be in the perfect position when you put the mask back on. No more fumbling around with glasses inside your mask, or choosing to fight semi-blindly - just plug in a spare pair, and you're good to go!

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

It's me, I'm the fatty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Our club uses Purpleheart Armoury synthetic feders, and the vinyl actually simulates a bind pretty well; some of our members line the edge with hockey tape to simulate edge-on-edge binding, which leaves the flat nice and slippery, not unlike steel.

http://www.woodenswords.com/Meyer_Federschwert_Longsword_with_Fuller_p/type-iii-f.htm

The crossguard, admittedly, does look pretty dorky, but it works; the rubber tips make crossguard techniques a bit less dicy to use, if you're being safety-conscious. The pommel is still solid steel though, so no Mordschlag.

In terms of weight, they're actually pretty comparable to some of the lighter steel feders out there.