Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«18 »
  • Locked thread
Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My posts are, not good

did i accidentally open cool hang out mafia again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

yes

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kumbamontu posted:

okay how about my favorite song from last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWwrL9LGSvI

Hm, djenty! Pretty good as these things go. Not my favorite sort of thing, but I definitely wouldn't change stations if it was on the radio.

I'll listen to the rest in a bit.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

they sound like a more clean metallica

Epsilon Plus
Dec 30, 2006

ALL HAIL THE GREAT CRAB LORD

yo we got seven hours to lynch someone

Asiina posted a bunch of youtubes which isn't really a crime but that's the best I got to go on

either Asiina for f_v for liking Pearl Jam imo

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ras is literally just trolling, though. I'm willing to switch, but there's good-faith non-game posting and bad-faith non-game posting, and I'd rather drop ras

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

don't project

Epsilon Plus
Dec 30, 2006

yeah but fuckin' pearl jam

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My posts are, not good

Epsilon Plus posted:

Asiina posted a bunch of youtubes which isn't really a crime but that's the best I got to go on

asii isn't the only person who posted a bunch of youtubes though why her specifically

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Meinberg posted:

In light of this information, I think it's possible that the recruiter is a lurker, playing it low key to keep from getting too much shade thrown their direction. Right now, both Rarity and Epsilon Plus are beneath Somber in post count, though that could just be on account of music talk.
anyway if we want to play mafia:

- assumes Kumb is completely truthful / right about his 3p cult / recruiter conclusion
- leaps to possible suspects based on assumption of conclusion
- veiled lurker call on d1

##vote meinberg

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Meinberg's post would make more sense if it had come after the following series of posts regarding Kumb's flavor:

mr.capps posted:

You said your role informed you that there is a recruiter type of role in the game and that your song was Lovecraft in Brooklyn.

A song about xenophobia and paranoia and a role that is aware that there are recruiters out there seems like a pretty simple connection to make.

Kumbamontu posted:

i didnt think about it that way but yeah i guess you're right, fair enough

which at least adds credence to Kumb's claim, but Mein's post above came before that, and basically went off to the ocean blue without even questioning kumb's claim or really giving it much thought at all

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Kumbamontu posted:

##vote meinberg

"here's me giving really specious reasoning to vote, followed by 2 names that lie in that category, and then a hedge 10 feet tall"
alternatively this, but my case is better imo!!!!

(haha sorry, I just found this post when I was re-reading. Yes I agree completely with Kumb 100%)

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My posts are, not good

yeah okay ##vote meinberg

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

Votecount for Day 1

Meinberg (3): Kumbamontu, Rascyc, Pinterest Mom
Quidnose (1): Asiina
Clockwork Gadget (1): Meinberg
fiery_valkyrie (1): Epsilon Plus, Pinterest Mom, Pinterest Mom
Epsilon Plus (1): fiery_valkyrie
Rascyc (1): Allen Wren

Not Voting (5): Antivehicular, Clockwork Gadget, mr.capps, Quidnose, Rarity

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 12th, 2015 at 10 p.m. CST -- that's in about 7 hours, 11 minutes.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hm. I may not be around for deadline, but better to vote than to not vote.

##vote meinberg

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

ICE-MEIN

Rascyc posted:

anyway if we want to play mafia:

- assumes Kumb is completely truthful / right about his 3p cult / recruiter conclusion
- leaps to possible suspects based on assumption of conclusion
- veiled lurker call on d1

##vote meinberg

I don't think that's entirely fair. For one thing, me leaping to conclusions is something I do a lot, it's part my meta.

Second, there's not been a whole lot of mafia playing going on in this thread, and I just wanted to kick start some dicussion, which it seems to have done. The potential linkage between Kumba's role and his flavor makes me all the more confident that Clockwork was trying to do some rolefishing.

The lurker call out was unfair, I'll give you that much.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Meinberg does always talk about setup spec. It's his (annoying) thing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back

Grimey Drawer

I don't want to lynch Meinberg D1 of his first game back.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back

Grimey Drawer

Epsilon Plus posted:

Why is my posting a bunch of youtube videos a bad thing?

Is this a real opinion or a joke opinion?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

not buying it

re: meinberg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

check it out
a post

Rascyc posted:

not buying it

re: meinberg

capps intuition tells me this is a scum post
##vote rascyc

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

it's a phone post :^(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

check it out
a post

Hmm

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Asiina posted:

Why is my posting a bunch of youtube videos a bad thing?

Is this a real opinion or a joke opinion?

I think it's a scum post. Deadline is approaching, people are starting to post serious opinions and EP comes in with a joke post written like it's completely serious.

##vote EP

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back

Grimey Drawer

I would have liked to hear EP explain himself before getting pressure (since now he's almost guaranteed to play it off as a joke), but deadline is indeed approaching and I don't want to lynch Meinberg.

##vote EP

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My posts are, not good

ok
##vote eplus

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

Votecount for Day 1

Epsilon Plus (3): fiery_valkyrie, fiery_valkyrie, fiery_valkyrie, Asiina, Pinterest Mom
Meinberg (3): Kumbamontu, Rascyc, Pinterest Mom, Allen Wren, Pinterest Mom
Clockwork Gadget (1): Meinberg
fiery_valkyrie (1): Epsilon Plus, Pinterest Mom, Pinterest Mom
Rascyc (1): Allen Wren, Allen Wren, mr.capps
Quidnose (0): Asiina, Asiina

Not Voting (4): Antivehicular, Clockwork Gadget, Quidnose, Rarity

With 13 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is January 12th, 2015 at 10 p.m. CST -- that's in about 5 hours, 49 minutes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

BELLE OF THE BALL

I believe in you capps!

##vote Rascyc

I'm not lynching Meinberg today, who knows when his next game would be?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh we're finally getting traction on the rascyc move? Nice. Now I can throw the vote I really wanted to.

##vote rascyc

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

My posts are, not good

Allen Wren posted:

Oh we're finally getting traction on the rascyc move? Nice. Now I can throw the vote I really wanted to.

##vote rascyc

*screeeeeeeech*

why did you really want to vote ras

Epsilon Plus
Dec 30, 2006

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I think it's a scum post. Deadline is approaching, people are starting to post serious opinions and EP comes in with a joke post written like it's completely serious.

##vote EP

I'm completely serious about hating Pearl Jam.

I wasn't joking about trying to get things moving. I don't think posting hella Youtubes is bad but it got you two going so

also I can buy ##vote meinberg

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

Uh, as much as I think Meinberg is wrong, I don't think he's scum. Is there some reason rascyc or Epsilon Plus are on the vote list besides "posts youtubes" because uh

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving
And something has got to give

Ultra Carp

##vote Epsilon Plus

I can see the justification behind both the EP vote and the Meinberg vote, but I'm willing to go with the meta and keep Mein in the game a bit longer.

Since there's also been some debate about flavor/rolefishing/etc., I'll throw in my two cents: I suspect Somber's warnings about flavor not being a big issue is more a reflection of the fact that Mountain Goats songs have a certain unity of tone and that you could probably argue someone is scum for having any one of them. Given what we've seen in the thread, I assume flavor is connected to role, but probably not in a particularly helpful way for scumhunting.

Also, uh, no offense, Kumbamontu, but are you sure about the "recruiters" thing? It's valuable intel if it's accurate, but if it's not, it seems like we could end up chasing our tails really easily, and the narrator of Lovecraft in Brooklyn is not precisely reliable.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving
And something has got to give

Ultra Carp

Clockwork Gadget posted:

Uh, as much as I think Meinberg is wrong, I don't think he's scum. Is there some reason rascyc or Epsilon Plus are on the vote list besides "posts youtubes" because uh

The EP and Ras votes both appear to be based on posting garbage/trying to prolong the "banter 'n' Youtube" phase of the game with an actual deadline looming; this isn't the strongest case ever, but I think it's reasonable. It's in scum best interest to delay actual discussion for as long as possible.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

What exactly is the meinberg meta here for excusing him? I saw f_v say setup speculation earlier, but that's not the reason he was being voted - it was the leaping straight to a conclusion aspect. Mein doesn't even explain why he would trust the Kumb claim as is, he just went straight to a lurker call out BASED on the claim. If there's any meta to be had here, it's that Mein is usually a lurker himself in the games I've played, so him calling out lurkers is a bit ironic.

I can at least appreciate the people who don't want to kill him because he's back from some hiatus (I have no idea if that's true, I don't pay as much attention as I used to). The meta thing I don't get.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

check it out
a post

Weird voting patterns.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

check it out
a post

What is with somber games and weird voting patterns?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Antivehicular posted:

##vote Epsilon Plus

I can see the justification behind both the EP vote and the Meinberg vote, but I'm willing to go with the meta and keep Mein in the game a bit longer.

Since there's also been some debate about flavor/rolefishing/etc., I'll throw in my two cents: I suspect Somber's warnings about flavor not being a big issue is more a reflection of the fact that Mountain Goats songs have a certain unity of tone and that you could probably argue someone is scum for having any one of them. Given what we've seen in the thread, I assume flavor is connected to role, but probably not in a particularly helpful way for scumhunting.

Also, uh, no offense, Kumbamontu, but are you sure about the "recruiters" thing? It's valuable intel if it's accurate, but if it's not, it seems like we could end up chasing our tails really easily, and the narrator of Lovecraft in Brooklyn is not precisely reliable.
It's not even that valuable, is it? At least for scum hunting I'd think. The common denominator with an <alignment recruiter> type role is that alignments/goals will change over the course of the game, which basically translates into a fresh slate for most players when a new day starts. In other words, there will never be credit to be gained by bussing/being the first to case a scum/etc, the usual 'credit' gains.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

*screeeeeeeech*

why did you really want to vote ras

Because I thought he was being poo poo, and I'd like to not no-lynch, but actual gameplay's kinda caught up with me, looks like, so we can't have a "just because" day one, and might actually have something like a methodology?

(also hey now I don't have to vote in accord with ras)

(also hm, I should probably swap over to E+)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Allen Wren posted:

so we can't have a "just because" day one, and might actually have something like a methodology?
??????????????/

• Locked thread
«18 »