Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«13 »
  • Locked thread
Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

He's just using space travel as a metaphor for beating his wife.

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

"I don't mind taking first watch," Dawa says to the others, washing down the chewy rations with some fresh, cold water. "Once I'm out I doubt my legs will want me to get up again unless the sun is up too. Anyone have preferences?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Rohan

"I prefer to wake up early, anyway, so I volunteer for the last watch." Rohan usually put himself forth for last watch when working with others. He typically used that time to get a head start on his daily meditations.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Totach Redmane

"In that case, I will take the watch in between them."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Ragnar

The barbarian sets out to roast the meat he has acquired. As he prepares his meal over the fire he speaks,

"Will three watches be adequate? I saw wolves in the forest. Perhaps we should have two people on the middle watch. To be ready if trouble comes in the night."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

ooc: just waiting if anyone wants to act on ragnar's comment.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

"If you think it necessary," Dawa says, feeling a little unsure of himself so deep in the lands of snow. "Are you volunteering to be our fourth?"

Failed an IQ-based survival roll. Whoops.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ragnar

"I will be the fourth, but instead of splitting up the middle watch into two smaller watches, I think we should have two men on watch. The middle of the night is the most dangerous time. If we are to be attacked, I feel it will come then."

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

Dawa grins. "Yeah, well, you're still the fourth watchman. Sounds good to me." He stands, adjusting his cloak to stay warm for the next few hours. He peers overhead at the moon and stars, trying to mark them mentally. "Sleep well, dream of stabbing some snakes."

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

ooc: awesome guys, I'll have some rolls and action later tonight

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Campsite
The fire burns low as Dawa sits huddled against the cold of the night. The rest of the party sleeps soundly amongst the rocks, as comfortable as they can make themselves on the sloped and rooty ground. Small noises in their sleep mingle with the occasional chirp of night-feeding bird, or rustle of leaves and branches in the breeze. A wolf howls from somewhere in the valley, and is soon answered back by howls that are ominously close. After a time, they die down. It's dark tonight in the forest, even with a cloudless sky. The moon rises as a tiny sliver of pale light, a portent of the dark ritual nearly at hand. The stars shift overhead marking the passage of time, and after some hours go by it's time for him to pass off his watch to the next group.

Ragnar and Totach are roused, and make their way to their watch posts in the dark, cold night. If there was enough light to see, they could have seen their breath fog in front of them. The fire still has some warmth to it though the coals glow barely brighter than the stars above.

It's Ragnar who first notices that the forest has become overly quiet. The occasional flit and rustle of nighttime creatures stills. Then, a snuffling followed by a low growl. A growl that is answered by several others, and then in the darkness between the trees he can see the starlight reflecting off a dozen hungry eyes.

Wolves.

Ragnar Perception vs 13: 3d6 8 Pass!
Totach Perception vs 11: 3d6 13 Fail!

Combat has not yet started, Ragnar you have ~10-20 seconds worth of activity to rouse others, stoke the fire, hurl rocks, whatever you want. Totach is not aware yet, but I presume he will be soon.

Wolves are 15-20 yards away, closing in a large half-circle. I'll have a map up soon, Maptools is being... annoying.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ragnar

"Wake up!" Ragnar yells. He reaches down and picks up a large rock. Picking it up, he didn't plan on hitting the wolves, but maybe if he startled them it would provide them with a few more seconds to get ready.

"Wolves are attacking!" Ragnar throws the rock in the direction of the wolves and then grabbing his maul, moves in that direction.

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Totach Redmane

Totach's mind jolts at the sudden booming voice of the barbarian. He curses and draws his sword. Ragnar can handle whatever's in front of him, but such a big pack would easily flank and tear him apart. He needed backup.

OOC: Coming up behind Ragnar, keeping a 5 yard gap between them. Going to fight the first wolf to threaten Totach because self-preservation, with a secondary target being the first to threaten Ragnar that isn't immediately in front of him.

code:
ST 11, DX 15, IQ 10, HT 13

HP 11, FP 13, Will 10, Per 10

Thrust 1d-1, Swing 1d+1, Basic Speed 7, Basic Move 7, Dodge 10, Parry 13 with cutlass

Advantages
Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Parry, Extra Attack, Luck, Perfect Balance, Weapon Master (Totach’s basket-hilted cutlass), Weapon Bond (+1 to use basket-hilted cutlass)

Disadvantages
Overconfidence, Afraid of drowning

Combat Skills
Fast-Draw Knife 16, Fast-Draw Sword 16, Acrobatics 15, Thrown Weapon - Knife 16, Shortsword 20, Brawling 16, Wrestling 15

Weapons
Basket-hilted cutlass (Added DR 4 to the hand and +1 to punching damage)
Damage: 1d+3 swing, 1d+2 thrust, Reach: 1, Parry: 0, Weight: 2.25, ST: 8

Boot knife
Damage: 1d-2 swing, 1d-2 thrust, Reach: C,1 (swing) C (thrust), Parry: -1, Weight: 0.5, ST: 5

Belt knives x2
Damage: 1d-1 swing, 1d-1 thrust, Reach: C,1 (swing) C (thrust), Parry: -1, Weight: 1 each, ST: 6

DR
2 on torso (+1 to cutting only), 2* on forearms, 2 on feet

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

Dawa snorts out of his sleep, flailing briefly before coming to his senses. His hands go right for his bow at his side, frantically looping his quiver over his shoulder. He felt a fool, letting beasts of the forest creep up on them like this. Surely he could have done something, tried a spell or two. He knew the wolves were hungry, and had no hesitation in defending himself in turn. He just didn't blame them for their actions.

He raises his bow, trying to adjust his eyes from sleep and make out the form of the approaching beasts.

For ready maneuvers, do I need two for my quiver, one for my bow? Two more to go from prone to standing? Just trying to get a sense of how many shots I can get off in this window. Regardless, Dawa will alternate targets, trying to scare the wolves foremost.

Per 14 to see the wolves: 15. I assume this isn't good enough to make one out.

pre:
ST:13 DX:14 IQ:12 HT:12 Per:14 Will:11
HP:13/13 FP:11/12 BS:7 BM:7 Dodge:9+2
Combat Reflexes, Heroic Archer, Outdoorsman 2
Bow:18, Fast-draw (arrow):16

Fine Longbow: 1d+2 imp, Acc:3, Range:234/312, RoF:1
Arrows: 15

Leather jacket, DR:1 (torso and arms)
Camo cloak (DB+2)

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Dawa, yes you'll need two ready maneuvers, and then two to go prone to standing. You shoot just fine kneeling, so that'll give you a round back.

And no, per check of 15 fails to spot them. It's dark out!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Alhert Lorimer
Alherts snaps awake at Ragnar's cry. They had spent too much time in the field together, been ambushed too many times in the dead of night, for this to be anything but a real attack. He snatches up his halberd and springs to his feet, looking around for their foes.

Call it 3 Ready manuevers, 1 to grab the halberd and 2 to get standing, correct?
Per 12 to see the wolves: 3d6 9

pre:
ST 15,  DX 14, IQ 11, HT 13, HP 18/20,  Will 12, Per 12, FP 13, Damage: Thrust 1d+1, Swing 2d+1, 

Basic Speed: 6.00,  Basic Move: 6 Basic Lift: 45 lbs, Dodge 9, Parry 13 w/ Polearm

Advantages: Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Fearlessness 2, Hard to Kill 2, Hard to Subdue 2

Combat Skills: Brawling 15, Bow 14, Broadsword 14, Fast Draw (Knife) 15, Knife 16, Polearm 20, 
Wrestling 14, Leadership 13, Tactics 12, Shied 14, Staff 14

Weapons: 
Dueling Halberd (4d+2 Cut or 4d+1 Imp, Reach 1-2*, Parry 0U, ST 12t; or 2d+2 Imp, Reach 1,2*, Parry 0, ST 11t)
Large Knife (2d Cut or 1d+1 Imp, Reach C,1; Parry 0, ST 7)

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

"Someone stoke that fire!" Dawa yells. "Not all of us want to wait until they're on top of us!"

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Rohan

Rohan is awake before Ragnar finishes shouting, and leaps to his feet. He doesn't doff his armor, nor even his gauntlets, when sleeping, so he adjusts to a ready stance, prepared to defend himself. He scans the treeline, hoping to spot these wolves before they attack. Though, with his combat style, he doesn't necessarily need to see his foe.

(11 under 12 Perception to see the wolves. Should be successful unless there's penalties involved.)

quote:

ST 11 (13 for damage); DX 16 ; IQ 10 ; HT 12; HP 11; Will 11; Per 12; FP 12; Damage 1d+4/2d+2 (Power Blow)
Basic Speed 7.00; Basic Move 8, Dodge 12, Parry 13 (Judo/Karate)/14 (missile weapons)

Relevant Advantages: Combat Reflexes, Danger Sense, Unfazeable, Enhanced Dodge, Enhanced Parry (Unarmed), High Pain Threshold

Skills: Karate 17, Judo 16, Parry Missile Weapons 18, Tactics 10, Breaking Blow 12, Breath Control 14 (good to know for quickly restoring FP), Body Control 13, Pressure Points 12, Power Blow 13, Blind Fighting 13

Chi Powers: Striking ST 2, Damage Resistance 2

DR: 4. For everything (except the eyes, which are 0).

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at Mar 12, 2015 around 11:40

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Campsite
The dark night makes seeing where the wolves are difficult. Their growling and snapping makes their presence clear, but the dark shaggy fur is good camoflage in the darkness. Ragnar's stone lands amongst the wolves, a threatening display that doesn't seem to faze the slavering beasts as the barbarian advances. The wolves start to maneuver in a circle around the barbarian. The first to advance is one of the wolves who comes in snapping. Despite the darkness, it's only the probing nature of the wolf's attack that allows it to dance back out of the way of the maul and a certain crushing death.

A second and third wolf dart in from the sides, one only to have it's legs cut out from under it by Totach's cutlass. The wolf stumbles and snaps at the pain and nips at the barbarian. Their teeth snap menacingly, but don't draw any blood. Yet.

The rest of the pack circles in on the group. The defensible ground of the camp gives an advantage to prevent the entire pack from focusing on one person at a time, but it seems that the wolves are more than content to take on individuals in pairs and trios of their own. Totach has two more circling along either side encircling both him and Ragnar in a group of five wolves.

Alhert and Rohan can see a set of shadowy shapes approach them, splitting into two wolves apiece. Dawa, eyes still trying to manage in the darkness, can't quite see if wolves are approaching him. The growls and even the yelps of pain are too chaotic for him to determine where they're coming from.

-6 total to hit due to wolf size, starlight and (all but) new moon. Maptools is being a pain in the rear end, so I'm going to practice doing mapless combat. Kinda works too since it's dark and y'all can't see much.

Ragnar throws stone at the pack.
Ragnar Intimidation vs 11: 3d6 17 - Fail!
Swings at the first wolf engaging Ragnar
Attacks vs 11: 3d6 10 - Hit!
Wolf dodge: 3d6 9 - Dodged!

Totach supports Ragnar
1st Attack vs 14: 3d6 9 - Hit!
Dodge roll: 3d6 11 - Fail!
Hit location: 3d6 13 - Left leg!
Damage: 1d6+3 9 -2 armor, 7 total!

2nd Attack vs 14: 3d6 5 - Hit!
Dodge roll: 3d6 13 - Fail!
Hit location: 3d6 14 - (Other) Left leg!
Damage: 1d6+3 5 -2 armor, 3 total!

Dawa has gear, can't see wolves

Alhert is ready, can see wolves - 2 approaching

Rohan ready, can see wolves - 2 approaching

Wolves
W1 Attack Ragnar: 3d6 16 Miss!
W2 Attack Ragnar: 3d6 8 Miss! (injured wolf)
W3 Attack Ragnar: 3d6 14 Miss!

Gang is still sleeping

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ragnar

Having engaged the wolves, Ragnar continues to fight them.

OOC
pre:
ST 19; DX 14; IQ 10; HT 13; Per 12; Will 11
HP 24/24 ; FP 13/13; BS 6.25; BM 7; Dodge 9
High Pain Threshold, Outdoorsman 4, Signature gear 3, Striking ST 2,
Weapon Master (Two-handed Axe/Mace), Focused Fury, Power Grappling,
Weapon Bond, Gigantism (+1 SM)

Two-Handed Axe/Mace-17
Maul "PAIN" DAM 6+1 Reach 1,2 Weight 18 ST 19

Layered Leather, heavy (Torso) 4
Leggings, mail (Legs) 4/2
Leather Gloves (Hands) 2
Boots (feet) 2

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Rohan

As the wolves approach, Rohan focuses his mind, using all of his senses to detect the wolves, countering the effect of the darkness. Remembering the bandit from earlier, and knowing wolves as skilled combatants, Rohan decides to once again perform his first attack without using any advanced techniques. Once the wolf has used its energy dodging, he then follows with a real strike using all his strength, forgoing his usual attempt to strike at pressure points, as he is unfamiliar with the physiology of wolves. However, he does know where the heart is, and thus promptly removes it from the apex predator, ending the creature's suffering instantly.

(7 under 13 for Blind Fighting on the second attack only, 8 under 13 for Power Blow on same. This is a Lethal Blow to the Vitals, using All-Out Attack on the Determined setting. Said attack is 8 under a modified Karate of 13, adjusted by any remaining penalty not related to visibility, which is probably less than 6, so the attack is successful. This deals maximum damage, meaning 39 with a Vitals strike. Rohan is open to attack by the other wolf, but he does have 4 DR on every hit location the wolf could hit. The attack costs 1 FP and it is completely worth it. Oh, right, there was a first attack since I used Rapid Strike, but it's just there to waste the wolf's dodge. The penalties are all incorporated into my attack rolls.)

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at Mar 15, 2015 around 21:33

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

Dawa swallows his excitement and the bleariness of sleep, taking a deep breath that lets him center himself. There, the gray of fur against the gray of the night. His hand finds an arrow by memory, and fires.

Per 14 to see the wolves: 9. Yay!

Fast-draw 15: 11
Fast-ready bow (all-out attack) 19: 7 Does this take the same to-hit penalty?
To hit a wolf (all-out attack) 13: 9 Hopefully this is enough for the range penalty.
Damage 1d6+2: 6

pre:

Arrows: 15

Camo cloak (DB+2)

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Totach Redmane

Pausing, Totach takes a look around the "battlefield". Well, he looks as well as he can. What he can clearly see in the sparse lighting is that two wolves are coming from both flanks. It was typical for pack hunters, one of the simplest tactics. So simple that, yes, even an animal could do it. What he lacked in numbers against them he could make up for in reflexes.

OOC: Attacking whichever wolf is closest, then immediately turning my attention to the wolf I turned my back on so I don't get flanked.. Making two attacks with Extra Attack against the wolf I go for.

Shortsword 20: 5 for the first strike, 12 for the second

code:

Thrust 1d-1, Swing 1d+1, Basic Speed 7, Basic Move 7, Dodge 10, Parry 13 with cutlass

Advantages
Combat Reflexes, Enhanced Parry, Extra Attack, Luck, Perfect Balance, Weapon Master (Totach’s basket-hilted cutlass), Weapon Bond (+1 to use basket-hilted cutlass)

Disadvantages

Combat Skills
Fast-Draw Knife 16, Fast-Draw Sword 16, Acrobatics 15, Thrown Weapon - Knife 16, Shortsword 20, Brawling 16, Wrestling 15

Weapons

Boot knife
Damage: 1d-2 swing, 1d-2 thrust, Reach: C,1 (swing) C (thrust), Parry: -1, Weight: 0.5, ST: 5

Belt knives x2
Damage: 1d-1 swing, 1d-1 thrust, Reach: C,1 (swing) C (thrust), Parry: -1, Weight: 1 each, ST: 6

DR

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Alhert Lorimer

Alhert eyes the wolves, ready to make a quick jab at whichever beast came within reach.

[i]Making a Defensive Attack with the halberd, opting to swing for 4d-2 effective damage and retaining the option to parry if need be.
Defensive attack, Polearm 20: 3d6 8
Damage: 4d6-2 13

pre:
ST 15,  DX 14, IQ 11, HT 13, HP 18/20,  Will 12, Per 12, FP 13, Damage: Thrust 1d+1, Swing 2d+1, 

Basic Speed: 6.00,  Basic Move: 6 Basic Lift: 45 lbs, Dodge 9, Parry 13 w/ Polearm

Advantages: Combat Reflexes, High Pain Threshold, Fearlessness 2, Hard to Kill 2, Hard to Subdue 2

Combat Skills: Brawling 15, Bow 14, Broadsword 14, Fast Draw (Knife) 15, Knife 16, Polearm 20, 

Weapons: 
Dueling Halberd (4d+2 Cut or 4d+1 Imp, Reach 1-2*, Parry 0U, ST 12t; or 2d+2 Imp, Reach 1,2*, Parry 0, ST 11t)

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Campsite

The pack circles around the group, snapping and growling. Dawa fires an arrow into the darkness and is rewarded with a pained yelp. Then, with a rush, several dash through the group attempting to disorient and upset any likely prey. Totach spins and drops low underneath a rushing wolf. His cutlass opens up the wolf's belly and left leg as the animal barrels into him. The wolf snarls in pain and Totach feels warm blood spray across his face. Another scrabbles on the rocks attempting to reach Dawa and falls flat with a thud at his feet. Alhert fares well agains the pair assaulting him. The wolf in front of him dodges around the knight and punches with his feet nearly knocking Alhert over. He shoves off the assault, and then with almost practiced ease slaps the other charging wolf out of the air with the flat of his halberd.

Ragnar and Rohan make good progress in thinning the pack with two confirmed kills. Rohan's quick handwork in the dark is lethal. Ragnar charges forward after the wolves that attacked, crushing the one in front of him while others growl at his flanks.

-6 total to hit due to wolf size, starlight and (all but) new moon.

Ragnar advances to strike wolf.
Ragnar attack wolf vs 9: 3d6 9 Hit!
Dodge roll: 3d6 10 Fail!
Assuming torso.
Damage: 6d6+1 22 -2 Armor = 20 Total!

Dawa Shoots! Hit!
Hit location: 3d6 9
6 damage -2 armor = 4x2 = 8 total!
W7 Attack Dawa: 3d6 11 Hit!
Assuming torso.
W7 Damage roll: 1d6 1-1 Armor = 0
Slam damage: 1d6-1 5-2 Armor = 3 Wolf falls!

Totach Interrupts!
W4 Dodge roll: 3d6 13 Fail!
W4 Dodge roll: 3d6 13 Fail!
Hit location: 3d6 9 Torso!
Hit location: 3d6 13 Left leg!
1st hit damage: 1d6+3 6-2 Armor = 4x1.5 = 6Total!
2nd hit damage: 1d6+3 6-2 Armor = 4x1.5 = 6Total!

W4
W4 Slam Totach: 3d6 10 Hit!
Dodge roll: 3d6 14 Fail!
W4 Damage: 1d6 2-2 Armor = 0
Totach Slam damage: 1d6-1 2-2 Armor = 0
DX roll to avoid fall: 3d6 9 No fall!

W5
W5 Pounce Totach: 3d6 15 Fail!

Alhert interrupts!
W8 Dodge roll: 3d6 7 Pass!
W8 Slam: 3d6 12 Hit!
W8 Damage: 1d6 4
Alhert Slam damage: 1d6-1 4
DX roll to avoid fall: 3d6 11 Stay standing!

W9 Pounce!
Pounce!: 3d6 13 Hit!
Parry vs 13: 3d6 5 Parried!
Parrying Wolf vs 14: 3d6 16 Fail!

Rohan interrupts.
Feint vs 13: 3d6 7 Pass!
Resist Feint: 3d6 16 Fail! W10 has penalty to defense
Lethal blow hits!

W11 attacks Rohan
Attack Rohan: 3d6 11 Hit!
Assuming Torso
Damage roll: 1d6 1 -4 Armor = Fluffy!

Rohan, note that dodge is a defense that's ALWAYS available regardless of number. Extra attacks will impact parries and blocks, but a target can always dodge. Reduce it using feints (which I did for you, hope that was okay) or deceptive attacks.

Gang is still sleeping

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Rohan

Rohan shifts position as the second wolf ineffectually strikes his armor, and prepares a second attack. Once more, he thrusts his hand forth to kill the wolf in a single blow, but his balance was off, and he failed to put proper force behind the attack. It would still likely be enough to kill the wolf, but not as painlessly as he'd like. Rohan did not like using his skills to kill animals, for they were simply acting out their natural roles. A wolf could no more be blamed for attacking people than a cloud could for raining on a person. He much preferred fighting bandits and other sundry villains.

(7 under 13, again, for Blind Fighting on the second attack only, 14 under 13 for my first failed Power Blow. This is another Lethal Blow to the Vitals, using All-Out Attack on the Determined setting. Said attack is 10 under a modified Karate of 13, adjusted by any remaining penalty not related to visibility, hopefully the penalty is mostly from the darkness. This deals maximum damage again, meaning 27 because that should be a 9, I forgot to factor in the -1 damage from Lethal Blow. The attack costs 1 FP. And now looking up the Feint rules, and it's just "roll against combat skill". So, 8 under, uh, 13? Kinda lost track of all these modifiers. It's all but certainly successful, but by how much, I don't know.)

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

Dawa stumbles from the sudden rush of fur and fangs, and recovers quickly enough to reach for an arrow. He didn't have long, that was clear, before it was up and going for his throat again. Luck had been with him, but he knew it was usually just for a moment. His shot finds purchase, but he doesn't manage quite the pull on his bow as he would have liked.

Fast-draw 15: 12
Fast-ready bow (regular attack) 12: 10
To hit a wolf (regular attack) 12: 5
Damage 1d6+2: 3

Also corrected my arrow count.

pre:

Arrows: 18

Camo cloak (DB+2)

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ragnar

He continues the attack on the wolves. Swinging his massive hammer at any wolf who gets too close.

OOC

pre:

Two-Handed Axe/Mace-17

Leather Gloves (Hands) 2
Boots (feet) 2

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Totach Redmane

Totach grunts as the furry beast drives into him; it's still squirming and snarling despite taking two severe injuries. He needs to kill this thing and end the fight. Totach rapidly withdraws his cutlass and drives it forward twice with hard thrusts.

Shortsword 20-6 to hit the torso for 14 after penalties to hit: 17 for the first strike, 12 for the second

code:

Advantages

Disadvantages

Combat Skills

Weapons

Boot knife

Belt knives x2

DR

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Alhert Lorimer

Alhert brushes off the wolves, and stands his ground, ready for the beasts to rush in again.

Still in Defensive attack mode, gonna shank whichever wolf comes close, for 4d-3 Imp.
pre:

Weapons: 

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Campsite
Like the tide, the wolf's assault ebbs and flows. The creatures pull back to renew their attack while fresh animals charge in. Alhert swipes at one which dances out of the way while the other trots off circling his prey. Dawa plants an arrow into the wolf at his feet, which only seems to make it angrier, it struggles up to its feet with a snarl. Totach finishes off his attacker, and Rohan proves that his kung fu is strong as he dispatches yet another slavering wolf with his eyes closed.

Ragnar presses the attack, advancing while ready to strike any wolf that approaches. One obliges, snapping at the barbarian only to scuttle backwards out of range of the massive hammer. A wolf comes charging in from behind and plants its paws squarely between Ragnar's shoulders with the full weight of its charge behind it. The barbarian falls flat, and two more wolves move in to make four and dogpile him. Vicious barks and howls of victory ring out as the wolves call to their kin: there's easy prey here.

-6 total to hit due to wolf size, starlight and (all but) new moon. Maptools is being a pain in the rear end, so I'm going to practice doing mapless combat. Kinda works too since it's dark and y'all can't see much.

Ragnar - Prepares interrupt
Interrupt W2 Attack: 3d6 11 Hit!
W2 Dodge roll: 3d6 6 Pass!

W2 attacks with defensive bite!
Defensive attack: 3d6 10 Fail!

W3 attacks with pounce!
W3 Pounce: 3d6 11 Hit!
Dodge roll: 3d6 11 Fail!
Stay up!: 3d6 10 Pass!
Damage: 1d6 4-4 armor=0
Slam damage: 1d6-1 2-2 armor=0
Ragnar falls automatically!

W5 attacks with pounce
W5 Pounce: 3d6 14 Fail!
Stay up: 3d6 8 Pass!

W6 attacks with pounce
W6 Pounce: 3d6 16 Fail!
Stay up: 3d6 15 Fail, falls!

Dawa -
W7 Dodge roll: 3d6 13 Fail!
3-2 armor = 1x2imp = 2 damage

Totach -
W4 Dodge roll halved: 3d6 12 Fail!
Totach damage roll: 1d6+2 8-2 armor = 6x2imp=12

Alhert - Shift and strike
Attack W8: 3d6 11 Hit!
W8 Dodge roll: 3d6 9 Pass!

Rohan - Hits!
W11 Feint resist: 3d6 9 Success, no penalty!
W11 Dodge roll: 3d6 14 Fail!

Gang is likely to be eaten by a grue

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Totach Redmane

"drat!" he shouts as he sees the towering barbarian literally dogpiled. Strong as he is, there's no way he can survive the entire wolf pack ganging up on him. He runs up to the group and delivers a massive swing toward the closest wolf in the pile.

All-Out Attack (Determined) Shortsword 20 - 6 + 4 = 18 to hit: 16

code:

Advantages

Disadvantages

Combat Skills

Weapons

Boot knife

Belt knives x2

DR

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ragnar

Annoyed, yet not hurt, Ragnar stands up.

OOC I assume this will take the entire turn.

pre:

Two-Handed Axe/Mace-17

Leather Gloves (Hands) 2
Boots (feet) 2

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

Dawa snaps back a short growl of his own, and strings another arrow. He didn't have the skill to fight these beasts in the dark with his sword, and is hesitant to drop his bow. He lets the wolf consider his next move,

Fast-draw (arrow) 16: 10
All-out defense

pre:

Arrows: 18

Camo cloak (DB+2)

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Rohan

As Rohan watches Ragnar fall, beset by wolves, he speaks, the only time either Ragnar or Alhert can recall Rohan speaking in the middle of combat in their brief time traveling together. "No." In an instant, he's next to the barbarian, and his fists lash at at the group of wolves. Rohan attacks as close to recklessly as one would think possible for him, as he tries to finish as many of the beasts as possible before any harm can come to Ragnar.

(9 for Blind-Fight, 9 for a Determined Lethal Strike to the Vitals on one Wolf, so, under 13 and thus successful, and then 8 under 9 for the second attack, unless Determined affects both attacks I can't recall and don't wanna open the PDF. The second attack will be against the same wolf if the first attack doesn't kill, or the same one if it does. First attack is 5, multiplied to 15 damage, Second is 9, multiplied to 27.)

quote:

ST 11 (13 for damage); DX 16 ; IQ 10 ; HT 12; HP 11; Will 11; Per 12; FP 12; Damage 1d+4/2d+2 (Power Blow)
Basic Speed 7.00; Basic Move 8, Dodge 12, Parry 13 (Judo/Karate)/14 (missile weapons)

Relevant Advantages: Combat Reflexes, Danger Sense, Unfazeable, Enhanced Dodge, Enhanced Parry (Unarmed), High Pain Threshold

Skills: Karate 17, Judo 16, Parry Missile Weapons 18, Tactics 10, Breaking Blow 12, Breath Control 14 (good to know for quickly restoring FP), Body Control 13, Pressure Points 12, Power Blow 13, Blind Fighting 13

Chi Powers: Striking ST 2, Damage Resistance 2

DR: 4. For everything (except the eyes, which are 0).

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Alhert Lorimer

Seeing his comrade get knocked down, and then struggling to stand amid the pack of wolves, Alhert strides towards him, and swings his halberd into the mass of fur and fang.

Move and Attack, Eff, Skill 9, on whatever wolf is handiest around Ragnar.
Move and Attack: 3d6 12

pre:

Weapons: 
Sorry to be taking so long between posts, I've been putting in a lot of hours at work and I'm pretty beat when I come home.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Campsite
Three warriors rush to Ragnar's aid, leaping over rocks and somehow managing to avoid tripping in the dark. Totach severs one wolf's leg sending it pinwheeling blood into the dark. Rohan's left handed thrust causes his target to rear up on it's hind legs to avoid the strike unfortunately exposing it's vitals for a lethal strike. Alhert arrives with steel flashing and menacing.

The remaining two wolves savage Ragnar as he rises to his feet, one with its feet planted on his chest snapping and snarling while the other takes a solid bite out of Ragnar's arm. The sensation of flowing blood appears on his arm. Pain registers as a distant reminder that his flesh is not impervious. Rage quickly supplants that feeling, rage and the desire to pulverize the transgressing beast.

Across the campsite, Dawa stands isolated from his compatriots. The two wolves that had been engaged with Alhert quickly turn to fresh prey. Dawa quickly pulls back from the wolf next to him. The wolf only catches cloth, and Dawa's attention. The archer hears only at the last second the thumping of feet and then nothing as a massive furred body flies through the air. The dire wolf impacts him square in the chest driving him to the ground and driving breath from his body. Another wolf comes tumbling in and loses it's footing while sending bits of dirt and pebbles flying.

Ragnar - Standing

Dawa - Defending

Totach - Hit!
W2 Dodge roll: 3d6 15 Fail!
Hit location: 3d6 15 Leg!
Totach damage roll: 1d6+3 9-2DR=7x1.5=10 Damage!
With previous damage, Dead!

Rohan - Hit! Hit!
W3 Dodge roll: 3d6 9 Dodge!
W3 Dodge roll: 3d6 12 Fail!
21 Total damage after DR. Dead!

Alhert - Misses!

W5 -
W5 Attack Ragnar: 3d6 12 Miss!

W6 -
W6 Attack Ragnar: 3d6 5 Hit!
Dodge roll vs 7: 3d6 11 Fail!
Hit location: 3d6 8 Right arm!
Damage: 1d6+1 3x1.5 = 4 total!

W7 -
Bite Dawa!: 3d6 10 Bite!
Dodge vs 11: 3d6 6 Only cloth!

W8 -
Pounce Dawa!: 3d6 12 Hit!
Dodge vs 11: 3d6 13 Splat!
W8 Stay up: 3d6 6 Remains standing!
W8 Slam damage: 1d6 3-1DR=2 Damage!
Dawa Slam damage: 1d6-1 1 Wolf undamaged!

W9 -
Pounce Dawa!: 3d6 9 Hit!
Dodge vs 8: 3d6 8 Twist out of the way!
W9 Stay up: 3d6 13 Falldown!

Ragnar, I think you arms are bare the way your armor is listed. If that's incorrect please let me know and I'll edit the rolls and narrative. Also, you're up to kneeling and will stand next round as a basically 'free' action. You can't move far, but you'll be on your feet and able to attack at full effectiveness.
BTW, me too as far as busy at work. I'm heading out on vacation tomorrow, so I've been tying up loose ends. I'll be back next week though, so no major delay.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Ragnar

"Enjoy taste of my blood and muscle wolf for soon you will never taste it again!" Ragnar got up and swung his mighty hammer at the offending wolf.

OOC Ragnar's arms are indeed bare because he thinks only wimps wear arm armor.

pre:
HP 20/24 ; FP 13/13; BS 6.25; BM 7; Dodge 9

Two-Handed Axe/Mace-17

Leather Gloves (Hands) 2
Boots (feet) 2

chitoryu12
Apr 23, 2014

Totach Redmane

The sudden thud behind him distracts Totach's attention, and he turns in time to see Dawa fending off his own pair of wolves. With Ragnar getting on his feet, he can now freely shift targets.

OOC: Turning and going for the two wolves attacking Dawa now. Delivering both strikes to a single wolf.

Shortsword 20-6 for target 14, two attacks: 15, 11

code:

Advantages

Disadvantages

Combat Skills

Weapons

Boot knife

Belt knives x2

DR

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dawa

"Stupid beasts," Dawa says, twisting away a little too late from the second wolf. "You'll pay for any meat you get tonight." He brings up his bow and fires again. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees Totach stepping closer, and is grateful for the help.

Going for a regular attack.

Fast-ready bow 18: 5
Shooting wolf 12: 8
Damage 1d6+2: 8 hell yes.

pre:
HP:11/13 FP:11/12 BS:7 BM:7 Dodge:9+2

Arrows: 17

Camo cloak (DB+2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Rohan

As his companions continue to be knocked over by the wolves, Rohan shifts, moving to Dawa's defense. The wolves that have beset the archer soon find themselves the target of Rohan's punches. Continuing to show no care for his own defense, Rohan lashes out, his fists carrying ever-greater force as the martial artist finds his rhythm.

(12 for Blind-Fight, 9 for a Lethal Strike to the Vitals on one Wolf, under 9, and then 10 under 13 for a Determined Lethal Strike->Vitals attack. Same as last round, if Wolf 8 drops from the first attack, the second will be at a new target, otherwise nail it with both. First attack is 10, multiplied to 30 damage, Second is also 10 nee 30.)

• Locked thread
«13 »