Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012
What's the difference between normal and veteran mode? I don't remember multiple starting difficulties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Looper posted:

What's the difference between normal and veteran mode? I don't remember multiple starting difficulties

Normal: Easy
Veteran: Normal
Hypermode: Hard

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

i like how the wave beam overall dealt less damage than the power beam in trade for stuns and you think "oh so it's gonna be a trade-off" then you get the ice beam and if it doesn't one-shot something it gets frozen and setup for a shatter.

and then the plasma beam :stare:

e: i just remembered right after you get the plasma beam the game throws some jetpack troopers at you and of course your first instinct is to test your newest baby and it loving VAPORIZES them lmao

Super did this as well, right before the Plasma room you have to shoot a pile of these surprisingly durable grubs, it's tedious because you have to kill them one at a time.

Then after you get the Plasma beam you come out and just kill them all with one shot.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/HugoBille/20120114/90903/The_Invisible_Hand_of_Super_Metroid.php

Also this talks about Super Metroid level design (in a way) and it's really cool to read.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I always got nervous taking elevators in the original Prime because the game locked up on me once when taking a Chozo ruins elevator (I think?) and I lost some progress. I assume they removed that bug eventually.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Blackheart posted:

I always got nervous taking elevators in the original Prime because the game locked up on me once when taking a Chozo ruins elevator (I think?) and I lost some progress. I assume they removed that bug eventually.

This can happen on any elevator or door in the game. You just got unlucky.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ralp posted:

super metroid doesn't have anything like "perfect" level design though, it's sprawling as hell and easy to get lost. I think that is only something a speed runner or anyone with the map memorized would say because oh you can fight the bosses backwards :shrug:

fly back to FYAD troll!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Blackheart posted:

This actually happened in my original copy as well. It was fixed by approaching the room before the elevator from a different room. I believe it didn't cause a freeze anymore after you got the next essential powerup.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ralp posted:

super metroid doesn't have anything like "perfect" level design though, it's sprawling as hell and easy to get lost. I think that is only something a speed runner or anyone with the map memorized would say because oh you can fight the bosses backwards :shrug:

Super Metroid still works great even with a randomizer romhack. That wouldn't be possible if the map design were horrible.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ralp is just wrong about everything

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Super Metroid still works great even with a randomizer romhack. That wouldn't be possible if the map design were horrible.

it's not horrible! It's good and super metroid is one of the best snes games. But, "perfect", ehhhh

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
not perfect, but some of the greatest level design in a video game ever? without a doubt, if you ask me.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ralp posted:

it's not horrible! It's good and super metroid is one of the best snes games. But, "perfect", ehhhh

ok Ralp

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man Prime still rules

set the controls to Actual Lockon and Advanced and it feels real good

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Free aim/advanced for me. Just got the power bombs and stopped for lunch. When I start playing again I'll probably finish it. It's still really drat good after like 8 playthroughs .

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

people can be hard on Prime 2 but it has some of the best boss battles in the trilogy

on the other hand, the key quests feel really out of place

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably gonna play through 1+2 but not 3

3 felt weak to me

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Finished 1 but hosed up because I forgot to scan ridley

Started on 2 which should be fun since it's the one I've never played.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

people can be hard on Prime 2 but it has some of the best boss battles in the trilogy

on the other hand, the key quests feel really out of place

the keys were designed to be obtained naturally as you got the upgrades, they're really hard to miss.

but when you do miss them it is a giant pain in the rear end

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
lol i started randomizer
my inventory as of maridia tube:

4 super missile tanks
2 missile tanks
2 power bomb upgrades
gravity suit
screw attack

and something else i forget

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

the keys were designed to be obtained naturally as you got the upgrades, they're really hard to miss.

but when you do miss them it is a giant pain in the rear end

This is only the case in Prime 1, like half the Prime 2 keys require the last upgrade

edit: oops you meant the keys needed for the other bosses, well, those are lame pretty much on principle

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you miss the artifact at the bottom of phazon mines, hoo boy that's annoying to go back to

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
full real talk when I was younger and realized how bad I had hosed up because I missed so many keys I restarted the whole game after the phazon pirate and just 100 percent complete it then

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Acquire Currency! posted:

full real talk when I was younger and realized how bad I had hosed up because I missed so many keys I restarted the whole game after the phazon pirate and just 100 percent complete it then

Lol that's an insane thing to do, but hey, I did a lot of dumb things as a kid too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Phantoon in super metroid was a hard boss imo.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
phantoon is my dad

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Phantoon is a cool boss in a cool area.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

OK I'm going to finish this game now; In Phazon Mine Save Station B with 6 artifacts left. This is my gamer goal for tonight.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

liquid courage posted:

just came here to post the super famicom box art because it's sick as hell.

If you don't want to deal with lovely cardboard boxes, you can get the cover for the Universal game Case and have your SNES games stored in plastic cases just like Sega Games. the Universal Game Cases are actually stronger and more durable than Genesis cases.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=8653

Flanky
Jun 2, 2011
I'm still real bummed I can't get the Trilogy where I am, I scoured Tokyo looking for the Wii control remakes of 1 or 2 yesterday and couldn't find any. Echoes itself is like $85 on Amazon lol

I bought Zero Mission instead last night and I'm happy to report it's a really good video game

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Taint Reaper posted:

If you don't want to deal with lovely cardboard boxes, you can get the cover for the Universal game Case and have your SNES games stored in plastic cases just like Sega Games. the Universal Game Cases are actually stronger and more durable than Genesis cases.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=8653

gently caress you Taint Reaper.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The last artifact I got was the First of the Twelve. Going into the crater at 98%, I missed 2 missile expansions somewhere along the way.

Dec 26, 2012

Flanky posted:

I'm still real bummed I can't get the Trilogy where I am, I scoured Tokyo looking for the Wii control remakes of 1 or 2 yesterday and couldn't find any. Echoes itself is like $85 on Amazon lol

I bought Zero Mission instead last night and I'm happy to report it's a really good video game

well at least something good came of it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh I remembered the bad part of the Metroid prime trilogy: you don't get to see the Prime 1 or 2 menus, it's all 3 style point and click bs.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well here's my results: 98%, 6:27. I have an open challenge to fellow imps to beat that, although I know they will. Probably 20ish minutes of that was spent in the map view, and I accidentally went into the crashed frigate before I had the gravity suit.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Oh I remembered the bad part of the Metroid prime trilogy: you don't get to see the Prime 1 or 2 menus, it's all 3 style point and click bs.

Imagine Prime 2's menus with touch controls

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Looper posted:

Imagine Prime 2's menus with touch controls

:gizz:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Lol that's an insane thing to do, but hey, I did a lot of dumb things as a kid too.

well I did get to play metroid prime again. also had fusion to play on the side. That was a pretty solid year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

codenameFANGIO posted:

gently caress you Taint Reaper.

It's amazing I have all my SNES, Genesis, and N64 games lined up in cases with their replica retail covers. The Instruction manuals even fit inside.

• Locked thread