Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Welp, Dog Days are here again for it's third season, it's an Anime from Seven Arcs, the guys that did Nanoha (you could probably tell by just looking at it though). It's about a kid named Cinque, Half-Japanese, Half-British, who is entirely obsessed with athletics and athletics competitions to the point that he can make jumps that would make the most sturdy Olympian's ankles shatter just contemplating it. As him competing in the Olympics would inevitably end up with China declaring war on Japan out of spite, he focuses on competiting in televised tests of strength such as not-Sasuke. His almost victory was watched by a young princess on a faraway word with an obsession with the color pink (also dog ears and dog tail) who at the time was losing a war with a neighboring country and decided she wanted some of that. Long story short she summoned Cinque to her world to become a hero: A powerful warrior from another world wielding the strongest weapons and equipment against the country's foes, Cinque understandably doesn't know why she chose him, a gymnast, for this. Turns out to the odd properties of this world makes dying or even getting seriously hurt nearly impossible, instead of getting hurt, those defeated in battle instead turn into harmless yet invincible creature orbs, or if they are high enough in rank to warrant special armor, their clothes get blown up instead. Because of this wars have become more like Sasuke, only with swords, guns, and beam cannons. Cinque figuring it would be fun, he fights in these wars and gets to know his new comrades and his rivals on the other side, figure out what is Galete's major malfunction is, and try to find a way back home before his childhood friend shits a brick.
The second season has Cinque coming back to Flonyard in the summer, bringing along his cousin and his childhood friend, 'cause war is better with friends, a new country is introduced, Pastillage, a country full of gun toting squirrel folk, this season mostly focuses on Cinque and his friends having fun and getting into fights while doing a little world building.
This season has Cinque and Co. coming back for his fall tour (he has to come back roughly every 3 months in order to be able to come back at all), what's going to happen? Find out by watching! (It would probably involve having fun and blowing stuff up)

Important Characters:

Biscotti: (The Dogs)

Cinque Izumi: Main Protagonist and Hero of Biscotti, loves athletics, well loves just about anything to be honest, he's a lover, not a fighter (he is also a fighter too, so don't get the wrong idea) His primary goal is to eventually get stronger than Nanami (good luck). Wields the Holy Sword Palladion, which he uses in bo, dual short spear, frisbee, and sword forms

Mille-feuille Biscotti: aka Millhi, the slightly overloved leader of Biscotti, has a thing for pink as you can tell, she didn't fight all that much during the first season as her Holy Sword Excelide manifested in a less than useful dagger form, in the second season she is able to use it's much more useful sword form and fights more often, her favored weapon though is weaponized pink. Also is an idol singer, because gently caress you (and me, and anyone else who fails to skip her singing parts) that's why.

Eclair Martinozzi: Rough and tough Knight of Biscotti, likes Cinque quite a bit, which she tries to hide by being all tsun, fools no one, not even Cinque. A lot of her character focus is on her coming to terms with her feelings for Cinque, at swordpoint if necessary.

Ricotta Elmar: Chief Gearhead for Biscotti, a genius, macguyvered a cell phone booster than can trancend space-time and allowed our heroes to make phone calls back to earth without even knowing how a cell phone works, energetic and happy all the time, she is friends with just about everyone in the series. Also is a relentless cuddlebug.

Brioche Dalkian: A freelance knight under the employ of Biscotti, would like nothing more than to take it easy and drink sake, well there isn't really much else to prove given she can summon kilometer sized sword with which to squish uppity heroes with. Highly implied to be reason alongside her former adventuring party Flonyard is so (relatively) peaceful. Much older than she looks.

Yukikaze Panettone: AKA Yuki, I call her Fox McTits though, subordinate to Brioche, and helps keep the place from going to hell in a handbasket, a ninja, with the standard fantasy arsenal to go along with it, instead of being a dog girl, she is instead a fox deity. Also much older than she looks.

Galete: (The Cats)

Nanami Takatsuki: Cinque's cousin and Hero of Galette, strikes fear in the heart of China's mass girl gymnist mill, banned from the Olympics by international agreement, she instead competes against Cinque in intranational athletics competitions, being responsible for his ignoble defeat on not-sasuke earlier. Has a personality pretty similar to Cinque as well. Wields the Holy Sword Ex-Machina, which she uses in bo and boomerang forms. Also is a mild exhibitionist.

Leonmichelle Galette des Rois: Leader of Galette and sorta antagonist of the first season, Millhi's best friend from long ago although recently she started acting like a dick to her, why was she so dickish? Well she had her reasons, those reasons cleared up in the second season freeing her up to enjoy her favorite past time of blowing everyone the gently caress up using her Demonic Battleaxe Grand Vert which she uses in Axe and Bow forms. Her other favorite past time? Heavy petting, no not in that way.

Gaul Galette des Rois: Prince of Galette and Cinque's rival and brosef, loves duking it out with Cinque. A bit of a hot-head and doesn't always think things through though. Destined to rule Galette after his sister, but not until she's satisfied blowing everyone up. Hates being petted.

Noir Vinocacao: Leader of Imperial Guard Genoise made to guard Gual (not that he really needs guarding mind you) a cool foil to the hot-headed Eclair. She got some character development in the second season maybe the rest of Genoise can acend from being comedy relief this season.

Pastillage: (The Squirrels)

Rebecca Anderson: Cinque's childhood friend and Hero of Pastillage, spent the first season moping about with Cinque gone, gets larger role in second season. One of those extremely rare girl gamers, she's not athletic like Cinque and and Nanami however she can fight evenly against them using her Holy Sword Mercurius which forms her costume, a broom that she can use to fly and pack of magic cards that do a variety of effects mostly the explody kind, if she doesn't need the broom it instead becomes a rifle for some tactical FPS action.

Couvert Eschenbach Pastillage: Leader-in-training of Pastillage, would probably be considered a dictator if the series weren't so positive, impulsive to the point of getting herself into trouble, she falls in love with Rebecca at first sight and drags her army all the way to Biscotti in half an hour in order to make Rebecca her hero, she fights using the Holy Spear Coumars, which of course is a gun, and a magic carpet.

Adélaïde Grand Marnier: Ex-Ruler and Hero of Pastillage, ancestor to Couvert, was sealed alongside Valerio until Couvert and Cinque let them loose, fights using Robocop's pistol and a broadsword that can transform into a flail, apparently very expensive to animate fighting as she only really fights off screen or is otherwise prevented from doing so. Was also a part of Brioche's adventuring party from long ago.

FAQs:
What's with the apostrophes?
Hell if I know.

Where are all the skulls at?
Actually, Dog Days isn't grim dark at all, it's about as noble bright a series as you can get nowadays.

You tricked me!
That's not a question

What's this holy sword thing?
As a symbol of their nation's sovereignty the leaders of the various countries hold 2 holy swords, the most powerful weapons in their arsenal, one they use for themselves and one they would give to their hero should they summon one. Although they are called swords they can take any form the user chooses.

Why should I bother wasting my precious time watching this show instead of marathoning the entirely of 'Legend of the Galactic Heroes' for the 27th time?
Remember back in the old days when you watched Anime for fun instead of showing off against people you don't know? This series harkens back to those times, by watching these characters have fun, maybe you, the jaded cyncial goon might have the fun rub off on them and have fun as well. Besides, it's not like LotGH is going to get any more interesting the 27th time around.

Seeing women's underwear makes me violently ill, how much fanservice is there in this show?
Enough, it generally doesn't overdo it as much as a lot of newer anime out there, but if you get irrationally outraged by seeing girls getting their clothes blown off why are you watching anime in the first place you probably should watch this show instead.

Ok, in the off chance that I might be mildly (just mildly) interested in watching this show (for a 3 episode trial mind you, it's not like I'm going to watch this entire dumb show) where would I go about doing this?
Crunchyroll is going to simulcasting this, starting tomorrow January 10th and every Saturday thereafter at 9 am PST. Nevermind, even though they listed the simulcast time in pacific standard time, it doesn't actually apply to anyone actually living in that time zone. You'll have to find your own means of getting it in the meantime.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope it's fun like the first season and not kind of boring and bad like the second.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I hope Eclair gets her own series, because she's awesome.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
The first and some of the second series reminded me a little of original Nanoha, and A's which is of course a good thing.

Hopefully this will be as entertaining to watch.

edit: Hrm looks like I can't watch this on Crunchy Roll in Canada cause they be a bunch of morons who can't get a licence. Guess I'll have to find some other way to watch it.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 10, 2015

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Hope they keep it like the 2nd season and don't try to shoehorn in any serious plot.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Myurton posted:

The first and some of the second series reminded me a little of original Nanoha, and A's which is of course a good thing.

Hopefully this will be as entertaining to watch.

edit: Hrm looks like I can't watch this on Crunchy Roll in Canada cause they be a bunch of morons who can't get a licence. Guess I'll have to find some other way to watch it.

Apparently CR only has it for China, India, and Korea. That... seems like a poor business decision?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Episode 1 is out, in this episode:

poo poo gets real.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

mikemil828 posted:

Episode 1 is out, in this episode:

I found the fluent English shocking as well.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

AfroSquirrel posted:

It should have had Stuart Hall doing the voice over, oh, wait, no.... :v:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I wonder if the lightning strike will have any more effects later on, or was just used to set things in motion. Anyway, pretty clever, I like where things seem to be going.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
Seeing as in the last season Cinque and a couple of others were getting anti demon training they might be having to put that to use this season. Which I wouldn't mind more crazy fights against giant demons and the entire team becoming the next legendary hero party.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
i've been thinking about watching this show for dumb heartwarming actiony fluff but it feels like there is probably also a lot of romance stuff that doesn't go anywhere. is this true y/n

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Yeah, it looks like this season is going to have a conflict, like the first season. Whatever happens, I just hope it doesn't interfere with any planned Frisbee throwing.

AfroSquirrel posted:

With a British accent, no less! :monocle:

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Outer Science posted:

i've been thinking about watching this show for dumb heartwarming actiony fluff but it feels like there is probably also a lot of romance stuff that doesn't go anywhere. is this true y/n

There's hints here and there but they don't really take up much of anything from what I remember.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Outer Science posted:

Eclair is kinda tsun for Cinque, but other than that not really. Even Millhi is more interested in catching frisbees than romance stuff. Becky is a childhood friend, but I can't recall the last time they actually did something with that.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Outer Science posted:

There is some romance stuff, but it doesn't really drive the plot. Cinque is well aware of how a lot of the cast feels about him, but he's got other priorities which everyone accepts. It's not that it doesn't go anywhere, it's more that it doesn't need to.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
ok cool thanks, i'll watch this then.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Do they really need landing pads for their giant birds?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The better question is why not flight pads for your giant birds?

Anyway, I Kinda fell off the horse after that one scene in Season 2 with Rebecca, was that just a one off moment of directing stupidity?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jan 13, 2015

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

ConanThe3rd posted:

The better question is why not flight pads for your giant birds?

Anyway, I Kinda fell off the horse after that one scene in Season 2 with Rebecca, was that just a one off moment of directing stupidity?

I assume you're talking about that awful transformation scene? Yeah that's pretty much a one time thing from what I remember.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Season 2 up's the fan-service quota a bit if I remember correctly but that scene is definitely the worst thing in it.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Tamba posted:

Do they really need landing pads for their giant birds?

Where else do you expect your giant avian carriers to nest? :colbert:

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
i watched the first two seasons, didn't know i needed this show in my life but apparently i do. just about died laughing when cinque and millhi go for a walk and she literally fetches a frisbee, and when at the start of s2 everyone stops fighting to yell hello to rebecca. very silly, good show.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Episode 2 is out, in this episode:

The accumulated filth of all the forest's demons will foam up about their waists and all the pettankos look up and shout "Leave me alone! I can handle this!"... and I'll whisper "no."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think that was as close to 'poo poo gets real' as Dog Days has ever gotten.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Sakurazuka posted:

I think that was as close to 'poo poo gets real' as Dog Days has ever gotten.

That and toward the end of season 1.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

If I didn't know better, I'd say she did this on purpose...

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Episode 3 is out, in this episode:

Everyone fights a bigass demon, the heroes become adults (temporarily), things blow up, and then suddenly everyone gets naked. That's the Flonyard way.

mikemil828 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 24, 2015

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mikemil828 posted:

Episode 3 is out, in this episode:

http://i.imgur.com/wOQFqea.png
Everyone fights a bigass demon, the heroes become adults (temporarily), and then suddenly everyone gets naked. That's the Flonyard way.

But he only had one line, and it was basically just a growl. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the Dog Days way, only surprised it's taken this long.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
If any other show had resolved this kind of crisis as quickly as this show just did, I think I'd be at least slightly upset with it. Fortunately, this is Dog Days, and peacetime antics are just as entertaining as wartime antics! :3:

cyrus_zane
Mar 28, 2014
A war that starts and ends in one episode flat. Now that's plot speed.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least now we can get back to what's important: Ninja Warrior only all the girls clothes fall off when they lose.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Today's episode was about an invasion of clothes-eating puyos. We also learned that Nanami is a skilled masseuse, which probably makes her really popular among her fellow x-treme athletes.

Dog Days always has the best commercial bumpers, and I'm particularly loving the hell out of this episode's.

:3: :3: :3:

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Episode 5 is out, in this episode:

Eclair has had just about enough with the doge meme, also we learn about crystal magic, a demon gets rektd, a princess get saved (no not that one), and things bounce...constantly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

And suddenly, a brand new world in the world is revealed. Looks like the heroes will get to save a world after all!

I want to see others' reactions to Nanamis photos when they get back to the normal world. "Where did you take those???" "Oh, just a magical world I visit once in a while. Magic energy fights and transforming to adult is pretty cool."

Guessing Aria is a manifestation of the whale itself.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Looks like Farine went to the Reimu Hakurei school of priestess-ing.

nielsm posted:

I want to see others' reactions to Nanamis photos when they get back to the normal world. "Where did you take those???" "Oh, just a magical world I visit once in a while. Magic energy fights and transforming to adult is pretty cool."

I like to think that if people ask them where they've been and what their pictures are about, the Heroes just tell everyone they went to France.

"The giant bird mounts? Yeah, they got those all over the place in France! More popular than cars!"

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Command Ant posted:

Looks like Farine went to the Reimu Hakurei school of priestess-ing.

I like to think that if people ask them where they've been and what their pictures are about, the Heroes just tell everyone they went to France.

"The giant bird mounts? Yeah, they got those all over the place in France! More popular than cars!"

That's what I thought too when i saw her pull out that camera. As for the priestess? What can possibly go wrong there if she went to that school. Surprised they managed to go an episode without anyone's clothes being shredded though.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Did Eclair's VA have a conflict or something? She's been relegated to Sir Not Appearing In This Film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Paracelsus posted:

Did Eclair's VA have a conflict or something? She's been relegated to Sir Not Appearing In This Film.

I've noticed that, too. She did get a whole lot of attention in the second season, though, so maybe they're just trying to focus on other characters this time around.

Either way, it stinks, because she's still the best character.

• Locked thread