Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Following the success of my last e/n thread, Starving girl, I thought I'd turn my attention closer to home, to one of my flatmates, to ask for some more advice. I share a flat with a straight cisgendered couple, and one of them has a non-life threatening condition that some of you might be familiar with and - who knows? - able to make jokes about.

It's a nervous cough: hurk HURK hmmm hmm hm. So what starts out as a cough subsides into a dainty clearing of the throat. Personally, I find it a brisk, homely sort of sound, a kind of a vocal dusting of the hands that says, 'now, what's next?' However, my flatmate mentioned to me, unprompted, that it irritates him, so I though I'd ask here. As with Starving girl, it's broaching the subject in a non-judgemental way that he is having difficulties with.

The sufferer is not overweight and even quite attractive in that busty ovine sort of way peculiar to the people of northern France. She does have a stressful job (unlike her two flatmates). She and her boyfriend spend most of their time together although he likes to play football with me on Saturdays, and watch football with me on Champions League nights, and last week he spent £900 on a sick gaming rig so he can play Microsoft Flight Simulator, so if the cough is a cry for help I imagine it will only increase in timbre and intensity. She swims, and eats fairly well.

It is known that persistent cough impacts negatively on the individuals' quality of life. Patients with chronic cough suffer significant lifestyle and social restrictions and this may induce a psychological stress response. So what's a good way for my flatmate to encourage my other flatmate to seek help for this problem and know she is loved and supported?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Breath Ray posted:

Following the success of my last e/n thread, Starving girl, I thought I'd turn my attention closer to home, to one of my flatmates, to ask for some more advice. I share a flat with a straight cisgendered couple, and one of them has a non-life threatening condition that some of you might be familiar with and - who knows? - able to make jokes about.

It's a nervous cough: hurk HURK hmmm hmm hm. So what starts out as a cough subsides into a dainty clearing of the throat. Personally, I find it a brisk, homely sort of sound, a kind of a vocal dusting of the hands that says, 'now, what's next?' However, my flatmate mentioned to me, unprompted, that it irritates him, so I though I'd ask here. As with Starving girl, it's broaching the subject in a non-judgemental way that he is having difficulties with.

The sufferer is not overweight and even quite attractive in that busty ovine sort of way peculiar to the people of northern France. She does have a stressful job (unlike her two flatmates). She and her boyfriend spend most of their time together although he likes to play football with me on Saturdays, and watch football with me on Champions League nights, and last week he spent £900 on a sick gaming rig so he can play Microsoft Flight Simulator, so if the cough is a cry for help I imagine it will only increase in timbre and intensity. She swims, and eats fairly well.

It is known that persistent cough impacts negatively on the individuals' quality of life. Patients with chronic cough suffer significant lifestyle and social restrictions and this may induce a psychological stress response. So what's a good way for my flatmate to encourage my other flatmate to seek help for this problem and know she is loved and supported?

Your prose is a loving mess. I'm quoting the whole thing as a public service. What a convoluted way to say: "My flatmate finds his girlfriend's couching irritating but he's such a huge nerd he doesn't know how to talk to her about it. I am such a huge nerd I don't know what to tell him."

Also, I am very familiar with French people and I have no idea WTF "quite attractive in that busty ovine sort of way peculiar to the people of northern France" could mean, except that you have an attraction for sheep with big tits, which sounds more like a personal problem than anything else.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
What

I've seen some pretty mundane e/n threads, but seriously? Someone else is irritated by the way someone coughs? Why do you even care about this, let alone think that anyone else would care to hear about it?

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 10, 2015

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I wouldn't worry about it, why, the last winner of the latest UK series of The Apprentice had a nervous cough/choke, and if he can still gain £250,000 of investment from Lord Sir Alun Sugar then she should have no problem. Mind you I got bored of reading your post and skipped the last paragraph so if there's anything in there that means she probably isn't a potential reality TV investment opportunity, please clarify.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Chronic cough is a recognised condition linked to anxiety and depression. I feel sure someone here has family or friends who have come out the other side, so please 'cough up' (with some advice or experiences).

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tell her you find the cough concerning and suggest she ask her doctor about it when she goes in for her annual check-up. This isn't loving rocket science.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's you, posting bad & unfunny threads, ruining my saturday morning e/n wank

i hope you are happy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Breath Ray posted:

Chronic cough is a recognised condition linked to anxiety and depression. I feel sure someone here has family or friends who have come out the other side, so please 'cough up' (with some advice or experiences).

It's also linked to smoking or any number of other health issues. That doesn't answer the question about why you care or why we should care.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Breath Ray posted:

gently caress you

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Should have gone with choking your skinny girlfriend during sex. Or perhaps you trying to head gently caress her and her gag reflex. Really anything other than what you posted.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

rio posted:

Should have gone with choking your skinny girlfriend during sex. Or perhaps you trying to head gently caress her and her gag reflex. Really anything other than what you posted.

Rough sex was first in my mind too, before reading the OP :pervert:

What a weird problem though, I guess you don't yet have enough of your own!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Why does it always come down to sex with you people.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Perhaps it has something to do with your prose. Or the topic - choking, not coughing.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Your writing makes me want to drown myself.

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
well i think ur prose is great op

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012
Why did you feel the need to point out that the couple is straight and cisgendered?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Why did you feel the need to point out that the couple is straight and cisgendered?

because he's "trolling"

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
develop your own similar cough, all the while agreeing that it's annoying that she does it

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

i want to hear more about big titty sheep

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Your prose is a loving mess. I'm quoting the whole thing as a public service. What a convoluted way to say: "My flatmate finds his girlfriend's couching irritating but he's such a huge nerd he doesn't know how to talk to her about it. I am such a huge nerd I don't know what to tell him."

Also, I am very familiar with French people and I have no idea WTF "quite attractive in that busty ovine sort of way peculiar to the people of northern France" could mean, except that you have an attraction for sheep with big tits, which sounds more like a personal problem than anything else.

owned. Also why is there like a "starter" thread for an EN in GBS?

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

Murphy Brownback posted:

Why do you even care about this, let alone think that anyone else would care to hear about it?

DO u even know what E/N means?

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

have u ever talked to someone whose voice makes you feel like you have to clear your throat. that's how i imagine op sounds

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Breath Ray posted:

Following the success of my last e/n thread,

source

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Some good questions there. How to judge the success of an en thread? At least two ways IMO. First is if I get some practical responses and ideas I hadn't considered. Second, you have to look at your audience. Are they engaged? Are there more than ten of them? Have there been five or more pages? What kind of PMs are you seeing?

I recognise neurotic coughing is more of a niche concern, but again, it's not a diagnosis I'm after so much as advice on broaching a sensitive, potentially embarrassing subject. Don't worry if you've not encountered this issue. Think of it as similar to talking to someone about their bad breath or lack of table manners or lower class accent.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Reading this thread gave me a neurotic cough, gently caress you OP.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

Someone say sheep with big tits?

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
She sounds insufferable.

Make him break up with her.

Then, when she has moved out, kick him out and shun him for being terrible.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
I didn't know lena kochman moved out of Boston

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
The ovine look has been frequently remarked. Close readings of Flaubert and Maupassant will help u here. The physiognomy is as distinctive as the regional diet of beer and butter (as opposed to the wine and oil of the sunnier climes of where I grew up). But I digress.

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

gpod drat this makes me hard

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

a straight cisgendered couple

Woah, weird

Where do you even find people like that

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
How does this sound? Love your new hair colour how's work have you got a cold what's this in French do you have a sore throat let's make waffles are you anxious want to go for a walk who's your go I heard there's a French film festival at the Roxy how depressed are you let's discuss holidays.

Mix it up, keep it positive and find out some root causes.

fanged wang
Nov 1, 2014

by Ralp

Breath Ray posted:

The ovine look has been frequently remarked. Close readings of Flaubert and Maupassant will help u here. The physiognomy is as distinctive as the regional diet of beer and butter (as opposed to the wine and oil of the sunnier climes of where I grew up). But I digress.

im loling over here and ive never even seen a french person

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
kill yourself op

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That's not how you spell cirque!

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO

Adbot