Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

Aces High posted:

I was like "why is everyone clapping?"

They clapped because every scene with Lip that doesn't involve another Gallagher is 50% wish fulfillment and 50% spinning the wheels and hoping the result is entertaining because the writers don't know how to develop the character. It's kind of a disservice to Jeremy Allen White (and Emmy, she's in the same boat).

I really dug the last few scenes of the finale. Sammi shooting at Mickey interrupting Fiona and V, Ian and Fiona hugging and Ian casually updating her on the Monica situation, Ian and Lip smoking in the van all felt like scenes that could fit right in season one or two. I'd almost go as far as saying it was worth a season of slow, disparate Gallagher plots just to kick up the tempo at the very end when the Gallaghers converge on the house - especially if it leads to a season full of plotlines that involve multiple Gallaghers. It's like a tonal antithesis to the season two finale where everyone gets a happy "things might be all right" ending but there are still enough loose ends to give the plot momentum going in to the next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Regulus74 posted:

They clapped because every scene with Lip that doesn't involve another Gallagher is 50% wish fulfillment and 50% spinning the wheels and hoping the result is entertaining because the writers don't know how to develop the character. It's kind of a disservice to Jeremy Allen White (and Emmy, she's in the same boat).

I really dug the last few scenes of the finale. Sammi shooting at Mickey interrupting Fiona and V, Ian and Fiona hugging and Ian casually updating her on the Monica situation, Ian and Lip smoking in the van all felt like scenes that could fit right in season one or two. I'd almost go as far as saying it was worth a season of slow, disparate Gallagher plots just to kick up the tempo at the very end when the Gallaghers converge on the house - especially if it leads to a season full of plotlines that involve multiple Gallaghers. It's like a tonal antithesis to the season two finale where everyone gets a happy "things might be all right" ending but there are still enough loose ends to give the plot momentum going in to the next season.

With Lip, the writers' two biggest mistakes are sending him to college and making him so nonchalant towards Mandy. With Fiona, the closest thing to a stable relationship she would've had was with Jimmy and since he's been condemned to continue Jack-ing off, Fiona just relapsed into a worse variant of her Season 2 behavior. Now, instead of Fiona being around to play the guardian role that was such a huge plot point in season 3 everyone's just scattered across different plots, plots that seem to have no actual plot payoff. Are we going to see any actual grieving over Bianca from Frank in season six? Are we going to see any more of Debbie's boyfriend once the teen pregnancy plot kicks off? Instead of spending one episode on these kinds of plots like in earlier seasons we get to watch multiple-episode arcs; to be honest I miss those older episodes, where the family gets by with scams and reliance on each other.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Guys, Bianca killed herself because her situation was hopeless and she wanted to die before the pain became worse and more frequent. She didn't swim 300 miles or so to Florida or SoCal and take a naked bus ride back to Chicago. That's ridiculous.

Yeah it was sad, but there was only one way that her story was going to end. She was not going to survive the season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Guys, Bianca killed herself because her situation was hopeless and she wanted to die before the pain became worse and more frequent. She didn't swim 300 miles or so to Florida or SoCal and take a naked bus ride back to Chicago. That's ridiculous.

Yeah it was sad, but there was only one way that her story was going to end. She was not going to survive the season.

Nobody's literally suggesting that she swam back. The idea would that she faked her death or chickened out and flew back without a word.

Of course, that's also stupid, because they explicitly lay out what she did and it wouldn't make sense to show her diving in and disappearing.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Wait, I didn't think those posters were being serious; it takes a lot of physical training to even attempt that kind of travel, and she's a cancer patient with almost no treatment. I just figured she popped a lot of pills, stripped and swam about for a bit so that she could get one last rush from drowning to death.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm assuming the pills were to make drowning easier. Drowning is one of the worst ways to die.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm assuming the pills were to make drowning easier. Drowning is one of the worst ways to die.

Is there a best way to die?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I hear either CO or CO2 poisoning is not so bad. Forget which one though. You just become unconscious and die in a matter of seconds.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Anything sudden and painless. Drowning is neither.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

bamhand posted:

I hear either CO or CO2 poisoning is not so bad. Forget which one though. You just become unconscious and die in a matter of seconds.

Wait, isn't that part of how an 'exit bag' works?

Honestly a lot of sleeping pills mixed with a very hostile environment might be considered 'good' if we're using pain as the measurement.

Anyway, does anyone believe that Jimmy/Steve will be making another appearance? The way they wrote him in the last episode (hell, both of his episodes had him acting like a caricature of his character from earlier seasons) made it seem like he's gone, but I don't buy it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

King Vidiot posted:

FireWorksWell posted:

Wait, I didn't think those posters were being serious; it takes a lot of physical training to even attempt that kind of travel, and she's a cancer patient with almost no treatment. I just figured she popped a lot of pills, stripped and swam about for a bit so that she could get one last rush from drowning to death.

the guy's an idiot who is being purposely dense and obtuse. of course nobody could swim that, and you'd be a dope for suggesting it, or assuming someone else was. like swimming back is literally the only way to make that trip? why would you think this? who could be this silly? One of the last scenes of the episode was Lip and Ian sitting in a car. That establishes that this is a world in which cars exist(for some reason this needs to be specifically mentioned to you). From there we can extrapolate planes and busses. Probably bikes and skateboards too(they weren't specifically shown or mentioned but that is ok). lots of ways to travel other than swimming.

FireWorksWell posted:

probably an OD all the pain meds they give you if you have cancer

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 7, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah I figure a nice dose of heroin or morphine. A bottle of scotch. Some Chopin.

Maybe sit in a bath. Seems like a nice way to slip away.

hmm

brb

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

Anyway, does anyone believe that Jimmy/Steve will be making another appearance? The way they wrote him in the last episode (hell, both of his episodes had him acting like a caricature of his character from earlier seasons) made it seem like he's gone, but I don't buy it.

I believe Emmy said in an interview that the reason for bringing him back was to give that story closure once and for all, so I don't think so.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

the guy's an idiot who is being purposely dense and obtuse. of course nobody could swim that, and you'd be a dope for suggesting it, or assuming someone else was. like swimming back is literally the only way to make that trip? why would you think this? who could be this silly?

probably an OD all the pain meds they give you if you have cancer

I was more questioning if anyone thought Bianca wasn't killing herself. I misinterpreted the poster's intention, I guess.

Oliver Reed posted:

I believe Emmy said in an interview that the reason for bringing him back was to give that story closure once and for all, so I don't think so.

Good.

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 7, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FireWorksWell posted:

I was more questioning if anyone thought Bianca wasn't killing herself. I misinterpreted the poster's intention, I guess.

Good.
I think it's pretty obvious she was killing herself, my entire point was that this is a show that made us think a character was dead before but brought him back, and that maybe it will happen with Bianca too. Probably not, but it wouldn't be any crazier than Jimmy being alive. That guy was deeead.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I think it's pretty obvious she was killing herself, my entire point was that this is a show that made us think a character was dead before but brought him back, and that maybe it will happen with Bianca too. Probably not, but it wouldn't be any crazier than Jimmy being alive. That guy was deeead.

You know, I was really curious as to what happened on that boat. I know he was sent to do manual labor or something like that afterwards, but I still don't think we ever found out what went down on the drat boat.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FireWorksWell posted:

I was basically just making fun of the suggestion that Bianca faked Frank (and the audience) out with a pretend suicide and actually went home to get treatment. I didn't think anybody really believed that she swam back, but some posters seemed to believe she didn't really die.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So is Bianca not dying this show's "Shannon was stabbed" or "Harvey Dent is still alive" thing? Because holy poo poo.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

FireWorksWell posted:

You know, I was really curious as to what happened on that boat. I know he was sent to do manual labor or something like that afterwards, but I still don't think we ever found out what went down on the drat boat.

From what I know, they were going to kill him on the boat but the permit to use the port expired and they didn't bother to renew it. I wasn't happy when they brought him back. All it did was add fuel to Fiona's need for drama.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
The finale was alright, the abrupt ending to Ian and Mickey's breakup chat was jarring. "So... this is you breaking up with me, for real?" Sammy comes in screaming and shooting, Mickey books it and Ian just... stands there?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

Yes, she swam completely nude back to America, then called her parents from a pay phone to come pick her up and take her back to Chicago to get treatment and she's going to have a long, healthy life with Frank.

Spoiler tag that poo poo dude

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Pellisworth posted:

The finale was alright, the abrupt ending to Ian and Mickey's breakup chat was jarring. "So... this is you breaking up with me, for real?" Sammy comes in screaming and shooting, Mickey books it and Ian just... stands there?

Then he just monotonely explains the situation to Fiona, who is once again out of the loop for about a season

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Actually in the podcast for this episode they explicitly say Bianca did swim back

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I really thought we'd get some development of Lip's relationship with Amanda's father. It seemed like they were heading that way by maybe making him the benefactor or somehow having him help with Lip's tuition but that was also just dropped with no real indication of what they were building other than to suggest that Lip's more interested in him and his science doodads than he is in Amanda.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Pretty realistic. Better sex with the teacher

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Fetus Tree posted:

Actually in the podcast for this episode they explicitly say Bianca did swim back

However implausible that may be.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I really thought we'd get some development of Lip's relationship with Amanda's father. It seemed like they were heading that way by maybe making him the benefactor or somehow having him help with Lip's tuition but that was also just dropped with no real indication of what they were building other than to suggest that Lip's more interested in him and his science doodads than he is in Amanda.

Put it like this: Lip is to Amanda what Karen was to Lip. I think. Honestly I was pissed at how randomly they dropped Amanda; two seasons of dealing with her with no payoff other than "everyone stood up and clapped"?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

FireWorksWell posted:

However implausible that may be.

Put it like this: Lip is to Amanda what Karen was to Lip. I think. Honestly I was pissed at how randomly they dropped Amanda; two seasons of dealing with her with no payoff other than "everyone stood up and clapped"?

Yeah, both Lip & Amanda and Mickey & Ian breakups felt very abrupt, even though they're still left pretty open and could get back together next season, I suppose.

It would be really dumb to have Bianca swim back to shore and turn up again. When she and Frank were on their benders I half expected her family to show up and be like "hey you were misdiagnosed you're not actually going to die" but nope, she's eating pain pills like candy because of the pain from her very real stage-3 pancreatic cancer. It seemed pretty clear to me that the Frank/Bianca arc was meant to show Frank that despite all his reckless behavior he really did want to continue living, and maybe he was going to be slightly less of a complete shitheel (but probably not).

Edit: Lip's lady professor also set him up with dinner with that aerospace guy, so it's not like he's ditching Amanda just for the good sex. Seems like they were kinda leading to the husband professor being jealous of Lip and that might mess things up for him.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 8, 2015

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Bianca's scenes this last episode made me think of ER's On The Beach, except not sad at all.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I guess the reason they wrote off Carl is that he was starting high school offscreen and didn't want to miss it. Not sure how that bodes for next season.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
So many dead ends.
The milk of the Gods literally blew up on him I guess, but how sick Frank was just disappeared. He went to the hospital due to not taking his liver medication then not long after he's on a bender that he can't recall (or was that before?). And then takes off to Costa Rica, seemingly all fine now.

As for the Amanda storyline, I'm kind of hoping it leads into next season with her going psycho on Lip, instead of just dead dropping that plot line.

I don't mind the plot lines changing directions, but at least provide a little closure of some sort, after investing so much time into some of them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

FireWorksWell posted:

That's always been kind of a problem with the show, stuff just gets dropped. At least they filmed a scene to explain why she's gone instead of just having Lip tell somebody "Oh she flipped out on me" later. Similarly Mickey and Ian's break up was really clumsy but it's probably better than Mickey just disappearing between seasons.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't know if this was discussed but what the gently caress kind of juvenile hall is Carl in? It looked like three Shawshanks stacked on top of one another, in a Russian dystopian future setting.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't know if this was discussed but what the gently caress kind of juvenile hall is Carl in? It looked like three Shawshanks stacked on top of one another, in a Russian dystopian future setting.

well, chicago,

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Juvie in a large portion of America is basically prison with less murder and a little less drug abuse. Still the same amount of beatings and rapes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flashy_mcflash posted:

a typical american prison for children, no exageration or sarcasm :smith:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Are you guys serious? That looked way worse than any grown-rear end prison here. I mean, this is Canada but still.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax
HAHAHA Canadian prisons

how cute

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are you guys serious? That looked way worse than any grown-rear end prison here. I mean, this is Canada but still.

I live in whitebread Portland, Oregon about eight blocks away from a juvenile detention center and the place looks like a supermax prison from the outside.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do they even design prisons specifically for children? They probably figure out the safety standards and needs for adults, and then just lower all the sinks and mirrors by a few inches and call it a day. Those kids are most likely being held in a prison for adults, and if for some reason youth incarceration goes way down they can just start charging the government to lock up adults there instead.

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah they do, and judges take a lot of kickback money to give them jail time instead of something less harsh.
The entire industry revolving around prisons in america is disgusting. Everyone read the wiki for Unicor if you don't already know about it.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Do they even design prisons specifically for children? They probably figure out the safety standards and needs for adults, and then just lower all the sinks and mirrors by a few inches and call it a day. Those kids are most likely being held in a prison for adults, and if for some reason youth incarceration goes way down they can just start charging the government to lock up adults there instead.

Yeah they do, and judges take a lot of kickback money to give them jail time instead of something less harsh.

• Locked thread