Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Lisinopril is for blood pressure. That plus the Hawaiian shirt spelled old guy. Mickey is totally right about those suitcases being worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rubberrazors
Nov 1, 2011

I'm guessing we'll be seeing Steve a couple of episodes from now or so. Also, I immediately noticed Ian's hair screaming "I've been busy".

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

rubberrazors posted:

I'm guessing we'll be seeing Steve a couple of episodes from now or so. Also, I immediately noticed Ian's hair screaming "I've been busy".

Yeah, the weird insta-wedding thing seems like an all too convenient "oh look jimmysteve is back shitttt but I'm married now" thing. That kind of bugs me and seems too predictable. But, maybe that's not where they're going, who knows.

I was expecting the mystery diner chick aka jimmysteve girl to be in the diner when the marriage announcement was made.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He'll come back, she'll sleep with him, it'll ruin things. Why break precedent?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Fiona and the guy getting married practically came off as the dare off between Gob and the seal dealer. I mean what the hell.

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
I agree that the marriage felt a bit forced. On the other hand, this has been my favorite episode in a while so meh. I loved it <3.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I kind of thought it didn't make sense but the more I thought about it, it does. She's always been somewhat two people, dumb impulsive and reckless and at the same time responsible and caring.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

BlindSite posted:

I kind of thought it didn't make sense but the more I thought about it, it does. She's always been somewhat two people, dumb impulsive and reckless and at the same time responsible and caring.

Yeah. the reason the wedding scene felt plausibly written to me was because of how spot-on Dermot Mulrooney's "you're addicted to chaos" assessment was. As soon as Fiona told her new dude that he made her feel "normal" I figured *something* crazy had to be in the pipeline.

I like the craziness, I feel like even after prison, she has further to fall before she ends up being a lot more like Frank than we could have ever imagined during S1. I like the idea that she learns that she has to fight the inclination to gently caress up at every possible opportunity. Hell, I wonder if they made the B plot "Dude where's my car" to parallel Fiona's latest fuckup on purpose.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Yeah, the weird insta-wedding thing seems like an all too convenient "oh look jimmysteve is back shitttt but I'm married now" thing.

She's definitely going to be all over Jimmy-Steve the second she realizes he's still alive and back in town. It's going to be that guy's brother from last season all over again, hopefully she doesn't break probation :ohdear:

Fiona was one of the most level-headed members of the Gallagher family prior to Season 4, and it was painful seeing her gently caress up repeatedly last season. I really don't want a repeat of that, especially since unlike Frank, Fiona's actually a good person. I enjoy seeing Frank gently caress up, Fiona not so much.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Give me dumb wedding stuff any day if it means I don't have to hear about Debbie The Rapist again

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Have they shown the mom and her baby at all this season?

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Here's what went down on Shameless last week.
Me...a lot!

What I'm trying to say is Carl-lingus is the best.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly Carl-lingus skeeves me out almost as much as Rapist Debbie. It's one thing to portray high schoolers' sexual experiences (because nobody is going to pretend they aren't normal), but I don't really need to think about a 12(?)-year-old eating girls out.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Isn't Shameless running at more or less real-time, they kinda have to because of all the child actors? I figured Carl was closer to 15-16 in the show now, maybe he was 10-12 in season 1.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I really can't wait for the actors that play deb and karl to go through puberty, given their roles right now. I still expect it will be awkward, but not as skeevy feeling to watch.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honestly Carl-lingus skeeves me out almost as much as Rapist Debbie.
I think this is the point, though. The Gallagers are skeevy people.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

This is season 5. Each season took place for half a year I think. Carl started out at like 11 or 12? Middle school age. So he's at least 14 now. Not to say him and cunnilingus isn't skeevy, it's just a little more expected by a teenager.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I really can't wait for the actors that play deb and karl to go through puberty, given their roles right now. I still expect it will be awkward, but not as skeevy feeling to watch.
Well neither of them are as famous as Emma Watson, so they should be okay.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Malpais Legate posted:

This is season 5. Each season took place for half a year I think. Carl started out at like 11 or 12? Middle school age. So he's at least 14 now. Not to say him and cunnilingus isn't skeevy, it's just a little more expected by a teenager.

Ian is still stated to be 17. I feel like they've messed around with the ages I think but by that logic you might actually be right on the money.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Malpais Legate posted:

I don't think it's exactly 6 months each season. Seasons 3 and 4 from memory, are both Winter seasons.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The season has kind of been slow. No one really has an interesting storyline besides Kevin/V. The marriage seems like a filler story till Jimmy/Steve pops on screen. Everyone else just seems to be flailing around looking for something interesting to be a part of.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is the first time Frank let Sammi down?

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

This is the first time Frank let Sammi down?

Does pimping her out to get beer brewing gear count?

Come to think about it, who hasn't Frank let down?

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

liltimshady posted:

Does pimping her out to get beer brewing gear count?

Come to think about it, who hasn't Frank let down?

Carl?

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

That ending! Also dammit Ian.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

LazyDivey posted:

That ending! Also dammit Ian.

I was constantly waiting for that very cliffhanger from episode one this season.

Edit: Did anyone else get Monica vibes when Ian said he was going to take a shower?

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011

You might be right. Oh, and Liam, but I'm not sure Frank even knows Liam exists.

Ian... :stonk: :wtf:

Also, gently caress off, Jimmy/Steve/Jack.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

When Kev tells that women he's flying solo, I'm loving dying.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I hate JimmySteve. The should have brought back Beto instead.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

you know, we all kind of knew it was inevitable that he would return, here's hoping that Fiona sticks to Gus but, well, that's hard to really believe at this point :smith:

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
gently caress the haters, I'm glad Jimmysteve is back. This whole Fionna/Gus thing has been stupid and I have no idea where they were going with it from the get go.

I'd much rather they just pushed Sammi out of the picture because none of the writers know what the gently caress to do with her.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anyone else kind of hate V this season?

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

FireWorksWell posted:

Edit: Did anyone else get Monica vibes when Ian said he was going to take a shower?

Yes, I expected some wrists to be slit.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Ever since the first episode it feels like her character's been derailed; sure, maybe one could say all she wanted in her life was Kev, and now the kids are ruining her time with him, but honestly her character just doesn't feel right anymore. I wonder if they'll bring up postpartum depression somewhere.

Honestly, I hope Gus and Sammi just meet up and find love, go on a road trip in a new trailer or something. She's a chaotic bitch and I always find the 'soulful enigmatic musician' romance arc in any show to be grating.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Definitely. Her last argument with Kevin was basically "I thought it would still be the same, just with two other people in the house" I threw my hands up at how stupid that was. And then giving him an ultimatum right after that, ridiculous.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

At first I assumed they were going with a PPD angle, but then they just had her explicitly say this is not what she wanted before even having the kids, so I don't know. Either way, they're doing a terrible job of making her sympathetic.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Everything I feel like is firing on all cylinders (yes I even like Fiona/Gus, but I'm sad to predict what throwing Jimmy/Steve into the mix will do), but yeah I don't know about V. Maybe it's just that most of us are conditioned to think people who have children are supposed to make them their number 1 priority and we vilify everyone who doesn't fall in line, but if that's what they're trying to talk about/flip on it's head then I'm not sure it's working out well - from an execution standpoint anyway. V is not exactly mom of the year material but there hasn't been enough for me to even have a glimmer of a thought about, "hey, maybe she's not so wrong."

But again it's hard to say unless we take into account that V is probably just really narcissistic and self-centered and her having children for Kev was not really something she ever wanted for herself (seeing as she doesn't put her children first over herself), but can't say it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sober posted:

Everything I feel like is firing on all cylinders (yes I even like Fiona/Gus, but I'm sad to predict what throwing Jimmy/Steve into the mix will do), but yeah I don't know about V. Maybe it's just that most of us are conditioned to think people who have children are supposed to make them their number 1 priority and we vilify everyone who doesn't fall in line, but if that's what they're trying to talk about/flip on it's head then I'm not sure it's working out well - from an execution standpoint anyway. V is not exactly mom of the year material but there hasn't been enough for me to even have a glimmer of a thought about, "hey, maybe she's not so wrong."

But again it's hard to say unless we take into account that V is probably just really narcissistic and self-centered and her having children for Kev was not really something she ever wanted for herself (seeing as she doesn't put her children first over herself), but can't say it.

I thought in this one case not tending to the crying child was the right thing to do, even though V isn't being written very sympathetically. I thought you weren't supposed to respond to a crying baby every single time if you know they have everything they need. Stifles independence or something along those lines.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I thought in this one case not tending to the crying child was the right thing to do, even though V isn't being written very sympathetically. I thought you weren't supposed to respond to a crying baby every single time if you know they have everything they need. Stifles independence or something along those lines.

Not responding to a baby crying, its only method of communication mind you, is a solid method of potentially giving them a vast array of mental and/or physical issues. There are some theories regarding not giving in to the obvious demands of toddlers crying but that is not comparable to ignoring a loving baby, especially at night.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitiara
Apr 21, 2009
To play the devil's advocate, V has told Kev repetitively that she *needs* him to be there for her. She has very seriously told him she has a problem, and from what I can see he hasn't addressed it at all. I don't know that she's asking for Kev to be there for her 24/7, and despite what she said I honestly don't think that she believes that things would be the same as before. However, the kids are a few months old now... I think it's very reasonable for her to want one on one time with her husband every now and then.

Kev is not being supportive at all, and his telling her she's being a bad mother for not breastfeeding and for not coping being a stay home mom does not help the issue at all. Having a kid is pretty freaking hard, and having two at once is even harder. Plus breastfeeding is not a joke, and going off and telling her "so and so does it" so you mustn't care about our kids, is pretty uncool. Specially after she tried for months. It's very sweet and awesome that Kev doesn't struggle with it at all, but that's not everyone. He's acting like her having problems coping means that she's a bad mother, which isn't the case at all.

Both Kev and V have made it this a "you or them" scenario, and they are both to blame. I really hope they fix their poo poo because I love them and they're a lot more fun to watch when they're together.

Also, I can (not exaggerating) watch that Fiona beating up Jimmy/Steve promo all day.

• Locked thread