Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Ashar

Ashar pads over, taking the longest bedroll and tucking it under her arm. She glances at the... refuse, then inclines her head towards, though not directly at, Tabitha.
"Queen Mother... I apologize for disturbing the state of the theater earlier. That seat over there was accidentally broken, and I've performed the cleaning over that area there. It is otherwise as we found it. I've had several ideas about how to utilize this space, well, one in particular, though on reflection there may be plans established already. If it would please the Queen Mother, I would like to take responsibility for directly arranging and supervising the renovation and construction of the embassy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Nit is off to find the kitchen to start scrubbing that.

"Voos or Regina, you want to come with? I expect any food service in a place like this would have one of those huge cast-iron ovens the dwarves like so much. Those take ages to warm up, so we should get that started while dinner's getting butchered. If we're lucky, there's a dining hall with a full kitchen and a spit over a fire pit where you can let off some... Well, pyromania."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Encouraging Jorgen's plans for dinner he looks around briefly, then gives everybody a general nod of polite greetings. "Excellent. A feast in our new hall." He sets about picking up entire rows of seats and crushing the wooden chairs into balls in his hands, hauling them back to the basilisk as Marie removes the scales. Before long you've got a hundred pounds of meat and a giant bonfire spread of wood.

Searching for cooking equipment you discover... none! There's space below for dressing rooms, a spot for an orchestra to play, a few misc chambers with pulleys and other mechanical tricks for raising or lowering specific parts of the stage. A quick pull of a single lever causes the center of the stage to dip. You can hear Jorgen's "Oh!" of surprise. The King finds machinery to be utterly fascinating, perhaps because all of it is too complicated for him.

Stirred out of her silence Tabitha turns to face Ashar and rolls her eyes. "This isn't the Red Fang. I have a proper title that the Dwarves themselves give to their fiercest and most cunning leaders... you may refer to me as the Head "Accountant" of Mandel!" She scowls as Jorgen is now peeling some of the chair debris apart to make smaller bits of kindling. "If you'll put yourself in charge of knocking everybody here out maybe I'll listen to y..." *THUD*

*WHUMP* *CRASH* *BANG* *THUD! THUD! THUD!*

Ah! The backstage exploration team has discovered a huge vault of very literal props in attics above the theater. Including an infamous black iron witch's cauldron for those good classic Dwarven plays that feature a stoic Dwarven hero steadfastly outsmarting a dishonest Witch. Most of the good myths involve the hero accepting a deal under false pretenses and shoving the hag into her own brew for some justice well served. The entire thing is made of real iron and suspended by four thick chains that you've just accidentally removed the brake for the switch for, causing the entire thing to drop and crash through the attic floor!

It lands clear in the middle of the stage, further cratering it! Jorgen claps and dumps the meat in the pot. Tabitha turns stark grey-green and staggers to a surviving chair to sit, defeated and suddenly exhausted.

---

After liberal application of spices(emptying all available jars entirely) and two hours roasting in a controlled fire dinner is served. As the only real source of light, warmth and food chairs are brought up to the pot and all can meat as much as they please. Jorgen and Tabitha sit side by side, your fiscal adviser looking less hysterically angry once she has had a chance to eat. Suzu and Jin sit together and trade ludicrous rumors about Dwarven culture between bites and Jorgen is content to munch on two roasted legs in alternating bites.

"Now then..." The other three stop eating for a bit as Jorgen speaks. "We have much to discuss. Geareg is a city as dark as Guranstahd." "It's underground, Chief." Jorgen extends a single finger and pokes Jin in the face, knocking him out of his chair. "... And this will be the first real test of Mandel's standing in the world. Politics is about drawing lines... as I see it in others, Diplomacy is about sneaking over those lines without disturbing them."

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Kikai & Tokegi

Kikai sits on the floor in front of the pot, Tokejin standing motionless just behind her as she gnaws greedily on the basilisk meat. Food and juices splatter just about everywhere; her chest (protected by her bib - smart!), face, hands, legs, and a lot on the ground right in front of her. Tokegi is far too used to the behavior now and seems to simply ignore it, politely listening to the conversations around the pot. He sits cross-legged with his back straight, while Kikai would be on the verge of falling on her back were she not face-deep in some "delicious" basilisk chow.

Even Kikai has the respect to pause momentarily as Jorgen speaks, mouth hanging agape mid-bite. "Um... I uh, I can't really be out in front of people... I'm... uh, not really very good at it. But I could fix up this stage, and handle everything behind the scenes! I-If you think that's okay, Your Jorgenness..."

Tokegi politely interjects, his tone immeasurably respectful. "What I believe Miss Kikai means to say, Your Mightiness, is that her diplomatic skills are rather limited, on account of her upbringing. Myself, on the other hand, would relish the opportunity to flex my diplomatic muscles, if you would pardon the expression."

"Eh?" Kikai wipes her face off with her bib, which mostly just smears the juices around further. "You're diplomatic!? I don't know about that! I mean, you're even smaller than me! And I don't think people are gonna accept a construct as a diplomat!"

"Yet you and I know full well I am no mere construct, Miss Kikai, as evidenced by my predilection towards-"

"Blah blah blah, I know, I know. I just, you know, don't want you to be alone at any point. And I would have to be all alone since I don't want to be out there and stuff and..." Kikai slams her hands down on the floor in front of her, leaning forward to get a little closer to Jorgen. She splatters a bit of basilisk juice on the pot in between them. "Y-You agree, don't you, Your Strongness!? He's just a little bunny, there's no way he could do it! It's absurd, completely ridiculous!"

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Nit

Nit changes her outfit into one with sleeves, then rolls them up. "Majesty, I noticed the royal cook wasn't in our party, so I took the liberty of making a few preparations." Nit reaches into her knapsack and pulls out a box of... groceries! Fat yellow onions, vegetables, butter, flour... enough to feed a half-dozen people in itself, and plenty to turn a butchered basilisk into a mighty feast... er, of stew.

A bowl appears seemingly out of nowhere, gets filled with flour, and bits of basilisk get lightly dusted therein before searing in butter at the bottom of the cauldron. Somebody had better go find the well or figure out if interior plumbing exists in this gameworld, since filling the cauldron with water is the next step, and Nit didn't bring a rainbarrel.

A vegetable peeler comes out of one pocket, Nit makes quick work of parsnips and turnips. As soon as the peeler goes back into her robe, a sharp chef's knife comes out from an inside fold, and Nit is slicing carrots and potatoes and moist gray mushrooms on a piece of shattered theater seating serving as a cutting board.

"I spent a few years working my way up to saucier in a halfling alehouse, see. Eventually somebody found out I wasn't a halfling and I had to quit and move on, but I picked up a few humble skills there. It's certainly not elven custards or frilly horse-de-owvreys, but Your Majesty doesn't strike me as an aspic-and-galantine sort of diner. With all respect."

And with dinner stewing, a few crusty bread rolls to share come out of the pack as well. Nit passes them around based mostly on rank, as there are only five and they're not quite big enough to share. Jorgen, Tabitha, and Liam get first pick of anything they want, of course, and in that order.

(Robe of Useful Items and Everlasting Provisions. We shall want for nothing.)

---

At dinner, Nit... doesn't have a response to Jorgen's opening statement. She remains respectfully silent until he continues.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Ashar

Ashar grins at Tabitha's response.
"What a delightful title, Head Accountant. I apologize for my presumption."
She turns, about to start yelling herself, when the cauldron comes crashing down onto the stage. Her expression darkens, and she folds herself into a chair near Tabitha.
"If you would accept it, I will perform a complete audit on the condition the theater was in previously, separating preexisting damage from... all this. The Head Accountant has more important matters to attend to than tracking such minutia."

---

Ashar sniffs as Jorgen makes his first statement.
"An astute observation, if I may be so bold. Too many run roughshod over the rules, thinking they will impress and astound, but far too often it just makes one out boorish. Being extremely judicious with which lines we do cross seems the best course of action. I do think it would be difficult to try to play the dwarvish game entirely on their own terms, and even if we are successful the results would be very... slow, and weak. I think we can take some cues from Draunt, which always manages to smooth its offenses over with a very... matter of fact approach, as if they're not crossing any boundaries at all, not even from ignorance."
She frowns.
"Unfortunately, I am somewhat more of an 'armchair diplomat.' Theory doesn't always lead to practice."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regina

"Accountant... By the Many-Headed Mother... Perhaps the Dwarves have a tradition to count the amount of heads they chop off?!" Regina's eyes widens with surprise and admiration. "Then... Then perhaps I have underestimated their brutality. And yours as well, Accountant Tabitha... I can only hope to match you in collecting and counting heads of the fallen enemies." She says before heading with Nit into the kitchen, her burning spirit of competition blazing again as the Dragonborn readies herself to lit the tinder under the cauldron with the blazing star flames of ambition. "Oraaahhh! This is nothing to me! This Basilisk is gonna taste like Salamander when I'm done!"

---

Diplomacy is about making sure no one is stupid enough to get close to the lines you draw, Regina thinks to herself while munching in a piece of Basilisk.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Voos

He nodded in agreement with Regina's assessment of Tabitha's title. "Head Accountant. The first part is important. And I believe with the propensity for accentuation the dwarfs have in their talking, it could just be Head A-Countin'. It lacks the certain fortitudinousness of 'Skulltaker' or the like, but perhaps it is for the best. Regardless, the title shows how they fear our might." though he kept quiet at the comment about the Red Fang and titles. He began to walk towards the kitchen after Nit, though his fellow envoy had beaten him to the task. Just as well.

He jumps nearly out of his skin when the cast-iron cauldron came hurtling down like a culinary meteor. "Cannon fire! We are betrayed!" he yells as he whips himself around, drawing his dagger from the sheath on his belt. His breathing was quickened and wisps of flame billow from his mouth. His shoulders sink though as he discovers it was not an enemy fusillade but rather fixin's for feasting. "... Err, that is what I would have sounded the alarm as if we were indeed under cannon attack. Of course." as he steps back. Would that he were still his normal size before his ascendance from kobold-hood, it was much easier to slink out of sight that way.

---

When the food was prepared, Voos ate quietly. He made every attempt to stay out of arm's reach from the Head Counter, though he did listen closely to Jorgen's words. There was something he was hinting at, but he dared not ask or make any comments regarding the diplomacy, even if he did have anything to say.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Marie

Despite being covered in her elbows up to basilisk blood and viscera, Marie pauses to listen to the conversation, smiling to herself as she hastily jots down more notes in her notebook. Satisfied, she returns to the bloody work.

---

While cleaning the Basilisk, Marie does her best to keep the hide intact as she works. Provided she gets enough workable material, she cleans the hide and sets up a drying rack.

Nature: 1d20+12 28

---

Sitting by the fire, Marie glows with satisfaction at her effort in the meal. Though she made a valiant effort of cleaning off all the blood, the flowers in her hair have been stained a deep red and clumps of dried viscera cling to unnoticed vines and feather-like leaves. It doesn't seem to be bringing her down.

Listening to the exchange about diplomacy, Marie seems to carefully consider her words before speaking. "I don't mean to be immodest, but I've spent most of my professional career as a diplomat, of a sort. I know the ins and outs, and I've made a lot of important friends that have helped in the past and would help again. If you need to cross lines unnoticed to get things done in the city, I can accommodate your needs, your Highness."

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Wendily

Savages. Savages and brutes and thoughtless malcontents! Never let it be said that you can never go home again. For all that Wendily had seen this opportunity as a grand adventure to escape her roots, it seemed she was forever doomed to be surrounded by the inelegance of those who chose violence before violins! Let it never be said that she didn't respect the approach, but one rarely left their family so that they could slip right back into old habits. Scurrying down from the curtains during the preparation of the meal, she rolled her sleeves up to help with the work as much as she was able to.

It turned out to not be all that much, given her squeamishness over actually touching any part of the basilisk that might have been bloodied, gooey, or otherwise ready to tenaciously cling to her fingers or clothing, but she did at least assist in upending spice jar after spice jar into the cauldron when the time came.

By the time that she had folded her legs beneath her and settled in to eat alongside the others, the food seemed far more palatable, and not at all unlike something that brought her back home in a far more pleasant way than suggestions of head counting and the like. Eating dainty spoonfuls of the broth (yet taking such massive bites out of every large hunk of meat she fished from the bowl that one might have wondered if she had any decorum at all for the carelessness with which she flecked her cheeks and face with spices and broth in comparison to the care taken with her fingers), she seemed to finally be at ease with food warming her belly and talk of diplomacy in the air.

"Ah ha ha! If you need things done delicately, you need not look a single one of these boors in the eye," Wendily decided, the affection she had in the word boor perhaps the only thing keeping it from being an under the table insult flung hard and fast across the top of the table in stead. "With Marie's knowledge and my charming countenance, there is not a single politician we could not sway, a single army we could not recruit, or a single storehouse we could not smash the windows of to gird ourselves to the loins with armaments in case of war in the breaking down of peaceful negotiations."

Wendily beamed proudly, and sipped at her bowl like it was an oversized teacup to drain some of the lingering broth. One always needed a back-up plan.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

"As a personal request, it would be... nice, I could say, if there were allowances for 'breakdowns' in the diplomatic process."
She glances very briefly at Regina, but experience shows she's also speaking for herself.
"Violent breakdowns."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Jorgen chuckles with a sound of stone dragging across stone. "Heh heh heeeh. You will find it difficult to charm many here. But that is fine..." He picks up his own bowl and drains the broth in one go. "We will carry ourselves with dignity instead." On the side Suzu and Jin are whispering to one another, Suzu taking a moment to feign an overdone coquettish look by trailing a finger along her lips after Wendily says her piece.

When Ashar brings up violence the cauldron and the floor shake a bit as Jorgen sits up! "No!" He makes a fist and brings it down into his other palm! "There is no room in the Senate for violence! There is no room in this diplomacy for that kind of behavior! We will... make our terms known clearly and honestly!" Everybody else is quiet. Gripping his bicep with both hands Tabitha gets Jorgen's attention and he relaxes his posture. He still sits cross-legged but lowers his arms and lets his shoulders rest. "Why we were asked here is for a great conference in three weeks, at the start of the new year. Each nation of the world wishes to draft an international "Laws of the Dead" in the wake of the Great War." He shakes his head and grumbles a bit.

Tabitha: "I believe the true ramifications of this hearing is a vote to ban Necromantic magics in all forms." Jorgen nods slowly. "And unfortunately, that will probably cause a lot of trouble for at least half of the cultures of Mandel, many of which have customs honoring and even speaking to ancestors..."

Jorgen shakes his head again. "It is a policy born of fear. That is why I have come, to strengthen Mandel's ties with Geareg and to say my piece. But... I do not know how many others feel as I do. Mandel's voice will be one against many at this rate." He sighs and idly picks up one of the large leg bones he's picked clean. He begins to absently chew on it, soon filling the theater with the sounds of an industrial drill mulching gravel. Well, it's only half that bad.

Jin: "So what Boss, we just charm 'em. Get a buncha votes. I bet Draunt's pissing up the rope on this one."

Tabitha: "Pelor's Church is the largest Human faith, but also something bigger than borders and countries. It is a strong altruistic push that is probably shared by most every race. Even now our young men grow depressed patrolling the edge of the Feserevine... seeing the idle dead left behind." She shakes her head and tsk-tsk-tsks before extending her jaw fully, like a striking cobra, and tearing into a chunk of basilisk half the size of her own head.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Nit

"I think what the Pelorites fear is desecration. Desecration of a corpse to make it into a zombie, or desecration of the soul in trapping, trading, or using it as fuel for some ritual. I don't think anybody's got a problem with banning that sort of thing."

Nit pulls an iron teakettle from her robe, fills it with water, and places it in the fire while she thinks aloud. "But banning a whole school of magic just because somebody might not use it how you want? That's even more bloody ridiculous than electric lights, and this coming from a woman who's studied mind-control magic her whole life without the smallest problem from the constablary for it. You might as well ban hammers because somebody might smash somebody's head in. See how the dwarves like that, hah!"

"What it comes down to is whether we can talk the humans into making specific acts or spells illegal, and if not, whether we're going to let human gods have authority over us that properly belongs to Semuanya, blessed be her name, or Kurtulmak or Blibdooldoop or... you get the idea."

"Though now that I think on it... I know a Mister Teak back home who has a pretty good business as a rag-and-bone man. He offers a standing contract to anybody who's alive, gives them some gold, and when they die he gets the body. He zombies 'em and puts 'em to work doing the sort of jobs people don't want to do, and doesn't have to pay or feed them. I bet he'd like us to protect his business interests, too. So I guess even zombie banning would have opponents."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regina

"She's right. I ain't into the undead but the Draunt humies telling us what to do is even worse. But... I got an idea. What 'bout we tell the Elves, Dwarves and others that the Pellies are trying to slowly encroach on their own faith as well? That might get a lot of support from those that we can't bash their heads. I mean, I'm sure the tree and rock worshipers won't like the sun-loving humies to tell them what to believe, eh?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

Ashar nods.
"Understood."

She frowns as the 'Laws of the Dead' are mentioned.
"That seems like an odd thing to focus on. Wouldn't banning aberrant research or mind control be more... appropriate?"

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Nit

"You might think so, but like I said, nobody seems to pay much attention to mind magic. I'd prefer to keep it that way, if we can avoid mentioning that particular logical loophole."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

"As would I, and I would technically be covered under 'aberrant' myself."
She wrinkles her nose.
"What if we pushed to keep the degree of enforcement up to each state? Then we could conveniently let our people practice necromancy as 'too difficult and remote to police' or something similar? And Draunt could go about doing as it wants within its borders."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Marie

"Necromancy seems such a dread thing to city folk - but so is death. You can't really celebrate the dead in human culture, and only the really rich folk in Geareg get to do it. Corpses bring plagues, miasma, invite curses, and of course the Illithid turning all the graveyards into conscription centers certainly didn't help! Still... We may find allies in any of the civilized cultures, even though many of them won't be allies we actually want - given the sorts in those cultures that it tends to attract. Our best bet may be to swing for regulation or sanctions instead of an out-right ban. We can loosely enforce either, and if anyone accuses us of being lax we simply round up all the "Evil" necromancers we can find and have a very public trial and execution. Needless to say, if a full ban went through, we'd be obligated to utterly subjugate any of our tribes who refused to respect the ban or risk going to war with our neighbors."

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 17, 2015

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
Voos

"Well, skirting the rules might not be the best idea. If Mandel is seen as being in defiance of the rest of the world, it may be seen as a pretext for aggressivation. Especially if they believe us using methods similar to the Flayers." Voos says as he squats down, helping himself to a bit more basilisk meat. A puff of flame ensured it was done to his liking before the morsel was popped into his mouth. "And something tells me this isn't the type of thing that each nation will be allowed to live up to its own individual provincials. But it's a good point about who would enforce it, the Sensational Society seems the likely choice."

History (1d20+7) 19

"I imagine it will take a lot to define what necromancy even is, let alone an outright cessation of the disciplane..." as he rubs his chin. He idly rubbed at one of the spikes along the bottom of his jaw ridge, scratching his fingertip with it. "Speaking with ancestors or any other dead is different than calling a spirit back and forcin' them to talk is it not? Or fight for ya, or dancin' around. I'm afraid I don't know much about it, sorcerating is fairly straightforward, yet people are a lot more at ease about someone shooting fire from their handsome face than they are someone bringing their grandmother back for a chat."

He then held out a hand, mentally tallying up the various uses of necromancy that he was aware of. Voos gives an occasional mutter as new ones spring to mind. "Talkin' with dead... is that the same as -making- the dead talk? Skeleton conscriptment, haunting..." he says, then sits up a little straighter as a notion come to him. "Does bringin' someone back from the dead count as necromancy? Like if they aren't putrescent and corpulated? Pelor's folks do that all the time, right?"

A Bug fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 17, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regina

"This 'society' is barely more than the dwarves' yes-men, we don't need 'em telling us what to do. And if we make it an 'enforce as we can' it won't be long before they see our plan and try to deal with that themselves. We gotta make a stand in order to show them that we can." Regina points a haunch o'lisk forward, munching on it a bit before blushing at Voos' last comment. "C-copulated? W-what are you talking about?! Who would do that to a corpse?!"

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
Voos

"What? No!! Not that. Though that should probably be against the rules too. Corpulated. You know, like when they've been sitting out in the open too long and they start gettin' them boils and pus and swell up like a belly on feastday."

Such charming dinner conversation.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

"I think you mean corpulent."
She grimaces.
"I suppose you're all right. Leaving it up to individual states to enforce and then ignoring the ban could just as easily backfire, or serve as a pretext for invasion some time in the future."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Marie

"Everyone skirts the rules, it's all about how you choose to skirt them that defines whether or not it's acceptable. As uncouth as it is, everyone cheats in politics and diplomacy - if you're the only player at the table who's playing by the rules, are they really the ones to blame when you lose? If Mandel has to go to war with itself to prevent going to war with it's neighbors, we'll look weak and vulnerable. Then it's only a matter of time before Draunt or Geareg decide they've had enough of our Necromancy problem, and take advantage of the confusion to annex chunks of our territory, using the very laws that put us in such a position to rationalize their actions. When you make a soft rule - like, say, regulations - you can bend them, you can wiggle them a little bit to get around and politely put them right back where you found them when you're done. But a hard rule just breaks, if you can bend it at all, you know?"

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 18, 2015

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

Ashar grimaces, looking around the theater.
"That's sensible. Making a strong push now would cement our position as a political power, and would preserve the livelihood of certain of our tribes for the future without relying on obscurity. My idea was short-sighted. So, we need to play a strong and active role in the negotiations. We're already invited, but I suspect as more of a minimum necessary consideration. How can we go about making them listen further? We need leverage."

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Kikai & Tokegi

Kikai nibbles away at her dinner, eyes darting around the group as they each speak in turn. She seems to have little else to add despite her initial burst of activity, as Tokegi is content to follow suit. She seems a bit revolted at the mention of corpse copulation, or whatever it is Voos was blathering on about, but otherwise reacts much like a child who had snuck into a parliamentary hearing; bored and a little confused. Tokegi on the other hand seems to be taking mental notes on the proceedings, paying rapt attention to each individual.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Wendily

"Ah!" Wendily perks up from enjoying her meal, wiping her lips and chin politely with broad, vigorous strokes from the back of her hand and wiping them on the frills of her blouse. "I don't know any spirit talkers or necromancers myself I'm afraid, but do any of you have any relations or relatives who might be able to bend the ear of the dead? I think if we bring them along with us to the negotiations and promptly raise all the great ancestors and loved ones and lovers and children of all gathered and add their voices to the vote, then there's no way we could be shouted down! We'd simply have numbers on our sides!"

Perhaps they would view the forceful raising of all of their assorted and sundry relations being violently returned from the dead to participate in the discussion, but then, who listened to the minority in such matters anyhow?

"You tell me that the Draunt religious leaders could look their precious grandpapas right in their cold dead eyes and tell them they weren't happy to see them, and I'd say that you're a liar and a cur," Wendily decided. Though of course, that did depend on anyone actually knowing someone who could pull off such a feat.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Nit

"I'm sure having their ancestors weigh in on matters would certainly convince a few people, probably the dwarves more than anybody."

"But I'm not too sure if I like the idea of letting the dead weigh in on living political matters. If we set that precedent we may well get voted down every time. Lot more of them than there are of us, after all."

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

"Old people are notoriously conservative as well. I know for us, and I've heard for elves, having leaders thousands of years old tends to mean nothing changes, ever, without a great deal of hassle. The dead would be even worse, without being able to at least witness the flow of events and circumstance. Also, I think most Draunti, and humans in general, would consider the act more as a sort of violence or perversion inflicted against their ancestors, and it would merely strengthen their position into being against all types of necromancy."

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Kikai & Tokegi

Religion: 1d20+11 = 21

Kikai begins speaking with her mouth still stuffed full, flecks of meat spewing forth from her face. "You know, this is just about the dumbest idea I've ever heard. Surely you understand that Pelor reviles the undead as his followers do? To raise them for any purpose is simply-" She takes a big swallow, finally finished chewing her food. "-simply the same to him! Pelor is a god of life, not of death, and even if some of the younger followers would accept it, this would absolutely infuriate some of the more conservative followers!"

"I'm afraid Kikai is right," Tokegi added, plainly. "While the idea is not totally unsound in itself, the deity in question would frown on the matter most severely."

Kikai taps her skull with her index finger, winking at the group. "That's what happens when you read a lot of books!"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

"Well I for one don't understand what all the fuss is about. The fact that the flayers made heavy use of necromancy shouldn't have anything to do with its use or misuse previously. The flayers certainly wouldn't have done otherwise if there's been an international law against it, and its use previously and, I assume, its future use would be equally low without such a law. Unless the presumption is that the previous frequency was already in excess, but that seems like a long stretch of the imagination. It feels like a good counterpoint to the whole idea would be to attack the supposed necessity of it being a law at all. I mean, to bring up copulation, it's not like there needs to be an aggressively pursued law against that kind of thing, it's enough to rely on people's nature antipathy and leave it up to the discretion of the local authorities the passing times it does come up."
She frowns, considering it.
"Although that would be a bad argument to make, since we do want to defend at least some uses of necromancy. But... it might also be dangerous to bring up tribes who traditionally commune with their ancestors at all, if it could sour the video of the Pelorites to our nation. Hmm... could we try to stress consent on the part of the dead? The Pelorite view would seem to be that necromancy defiles and harms the target, but for those tribes not continuing the practices would be a negative for those ancestor spirits. If their argument is that the bodies and spirits of the dead must be respected, we could say that communion with the spirits is respectful and beneficial, as opposed to the more... haphazard necromancy of zombies and the like."

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Kikai & Tokegi

Kikai sips on a drink as Tokegi offers his thoughts. "I don't believe it's impossible, but performing what would almost certainly be seen as a vile act to make our point... is probably not in our best interest. I think words will be more than sufficient. No need for theatrics, at least not as of yet." Tokegi places a paw under his chin, propping up his head. "I believe it would also be in our best interest to not refer to the practice as 'necromancy.' Though technically it is not incorrect, necromancy is something of a foul word, particularly to Pelorites."

Kikai finishes her drink with a loud, satisfactory gulp. "By the way, it's Pelorians, not Pelorites! Refer to The Light of Pelor, Tokegi."

Tokegi pauses and stares blanky at the ground for several seconds.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Marie

"Honestly, a live demonstration of spirit calling or acenstral recall might be helpful, though certainly not in front of a greater audience. Some of the older nobility could probably be convinced to change their opinion on Necromancy, perhaps with a seance?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

"Certainly, and we wouldn't want to turn it into a spectacle regardless. It might be better to broach the subject more theoretically at first, instead of immediately leading with what would be to their eyes a practicing necromancer."

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Kikai & Tokegi

Tokegi nods. "We could certainly get away with delicately broaching the subject, after first gauging initial reactions. Simply opening with a display of necromancy would almost certainly end in disaster, however."

"I still think it's a really dumb idea, but I think Tokegi is better at this than I am," adds Kikai.

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Nit

"It'd help to know what the local laws already are, before we start. Like, if there are laws against the desecration of a corpse or the soul, then what does a ban on the school of magic accomplish? And if there aren't, why not? Let's face it, this is just the humans trying to strongarm everyone into doing what they think is right by the rule of law. Why would we want to have diplomatic relations with the nations who try to tell us how to live our lives?"

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Ashar

"If I'd have to guess, this feels like Draunt strongarming the rest of the world into compliance. They already have more than enough control over their own government to write up similar domestic laws, they want to make sure everyone else does as well. Obviously we wouldn't want that, even if we didn't have an investment in maintaining necromancy at home it's insulting to have Draunt dictate our own laws like that, but since they'll be using the events of the war and the flayers' use of undead in it as a keystone... then..."
She pauses, thinking.
"...wait. Could we not press the point that necromancy in war is what should be sanctioned? Set up laws of war, have necromancy be the cornerstone of unjust action in the pursuit of war. We could also include attacks on civilians, the real bugbear they're crowing about is how undead legions raided the countryside and killed scores of civilians, so we could set it up so those sorts of behaviors are illegal without really touching on small-scale tribal necromancy and spirit communion."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Voos, History: The ability to Resurrect isn't known to any nation or really anybody. Medical science has come a long way from leeches and hysteria but once somebody is down they're going to the afterlife or only coming back as a skeleton! Jorgen cracks the bone he's gnawing on with a loud crunch and pulls the two pieces out of his mouth. He lets out a deep Hrrmmm. "None of the eight fell during the War... and if any of us had, that would have been it, Heinfred."

Kikai, Religion: Pelor is the God of the Sun, a deity of Goodness and Holiness through and through. He is the most popular faith for Humanity and all non-evil cultures respect him and his stance of staunch annihilation against the blasphemy of the undead. Considering the horrors of the Great War that popularity has no doubt risen to a historic high. Even Mandel citizens share the faith and a few engage in a dual worship of Pelor and Bahamut, two natural allies.

Listening intently to the round table, Jorgen's gaze drifts between each speaker in turn, only nodding or scratching his chin and frills in idle thought. Eventually he casts the bones under the cauldron where they loudly clatter into the kindling. "I know many who will speak for their countries. You will not impress them with any idle tricks. And you will not sway them with any plain showing of the benefits of the craft." He clears his throat. "The war was filled with terror. Nearly everyone speaking will have seen it firsthand."

Tabitha hmms and hums. She has finished her meal and already cleaned her plates, now working on Jorgen's. "We actually share a lot of Draunt's feelings... they shared a border with the Flayer army in the first few years and Mandel for the last half of the war. I think we can only really argue for allowances for burial practices and the use of the magic for medical research." She stacks the clean plates together and rolls her eyes. "Even that will get us labeled a lot of superstitious savages. I'm sure several experts will tell us that the new doctorates are getting along just fine with technology." Jin snorts. "Yeah, gimme some hack with a saw and a buncha medicine instead of a Shaman sealing the wound, sounds great."

Gesturing towards you all with an upturned palm, Jorgen grins. "We have a few weeks before the conference. We should convince as many as we can one by one, rather than hope for a spectacular showing at the last minute." He's interrupted by a light tapping of spoon against bowl rim, repeated rapidly to produce a series of pleasant little tinks! Suzu has finished her meal last and is breaking her unusual silence. "Hey hey, grrrandpa!"

"Hrmm?" Jorgen turns to face her, smiling.

"How're we gonna meet any stuffy dwarves and diplomats? I bet they see us coming and lock the doors." Suzu looks cocky, pointed teeth lined up into a bladed grin.

"Perhaps, but I'm sure..."

"They'll set guards on us! Throw trash out the windows!"

"Now really, any good person will see the merit of the tru..."

"Chase us right outta town!" Suzu drops her spoon into her bowl, a final climatic cling-clang-tink-tink-tink echoing through the theater.

"Nonsense! Surely..."

"Don't worry, I have an idea!" With a bit of sleight of hand Suzu flicks her talons and twists her wrist and a pair of brown tickets appear between her index and middle talons out of thin air! "It's called the World's Fair! I think all the best beards bring their machines together to show off." Jorgen's brows are raised and he leans forward slightly as she continues. "I bet you could talk to a lot of fancy beards if you went! And it's tomorrow, even!" She waggles the tickets back and forth rapidly. Jorgen's eyes are lit up and he immediately reaches over the cauldron with his palm out. Suzu passes him the tickets and the old king takes a closer look with a delighted "Ohh!"

Jorgen: "A wonderful idea. I trust that my advisers will come with me. Nobody should miss such a fantastic event!" He rises and steps around the stage to get to the front of the stage, patting Suzu on the head as he passes her. She beams with satisfaction.

With dinner finished you can find... wherever to nod off for the night. Jin and Suzu hang out at the cauldron to enjoy the heat of the fire and Tabitha follows Jorgen in a light exploration of the rest of the theater, occasionally noting something particularly awful to yell at the dwarves about tomorrow. She passes by the stage again and looks everybody over! "Stay where you will... but if you break one more thing I'll skin your arses so that I can properly cover it!"

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 19, 2015

Rtwo
Jan 25, 2013
Nit spends her evening wind-down wandering the halls of the old theater, with the king and queen if they'll have her. She'd come to a show or two back when this place functioned as a theater, back before the war, and will regale stories of that bygone time to anyone who will listen.

She's nostalgically changed her clothes into a coat with tails, trousers, a high silk hat, and spats -- the height of human fashion! ...twenty years ago. Accompanied in her wanderings or not, she sings a few lines to herself once in a while, tapping her umbrella cane to the rhythm as she walks, remembering the old theater song from way back when...

If you're Blue
And you're the King
Your traditions
Are just the thing
To give dwarves fits--
Puttin' on the Ritz!

Smooth-skins prefer the lizards
To the flayers, psychics, and wizards
In their midst
Puttin' on the Ritz!

If only she knew how to tap-dance.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

Kikai & Tokegi

Thinking it best to contain her initial excitement (more at the behest of Tokegi, who had slammed a paw over her mouth), Kikai is unable to keep it under wraps after Jorgen walks off. "Bahamut's scales, Tokegi! Did you hear that? The World's Fair is TOMORROW! I had completely forgotten they were even still PLANNING that! Oh my gosh, I have to prepare something... Maybe I could try that light bulb again? No, they already did that... Do you think Tokejin is good enough to show off? I've never heard of any golems constructed solely for mobility.. I mean, the dwarves tend to not have a need for it, right? Do you think..."

"You're a prodigy, Miss Kikai. I am certain you will come up with something. But more importantly, you understand that you cannot simply waltz in with some marvelous invention and expect to show it off, right? There are rules in place, procedures that must be followed, and-"

"Hmph! I'll just pick the lamest looking invention and sweep it off the table! Nobody would object if I put something better there anyway." She scrambles up the side of Tokejin, diving head-first in the cockpit and rooting around inside for a bit. After a few seconds she pops up in a sky cotton one-piece nightgown, topped off with a sky blue nightcap on top. "Anyway, I'm too tired to think about it right now. I'm going to sleep! Good night, Tokegi."

"I trust you won't mind if I wander off a bit on my own, yes?"

"No problem, Tokejin will keep me safe!" She pauses for a moment, a look of concern passing briefly over her face. "And... and my friends, I suppose," She adds hesitantly.

"Hm. Indeed." Tokegi begins a patrol around the inside of the hall, smiling warmly at the rest of the group as he passes them by, wherever they might be. "It's hard to believe the girl still doesn't trust them completely, even after all they've been through together. I still can't leave her sight for even but a moment without sending her into a worry..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Regina

Visiting a stupid fair for stupid dwarves and their stupid trinkets? Bah! Regina storms out of the theather after the dinner, looking for dark alleys and other places where some idiotic thief or bandit can give her a good excuse for smashing their skulls. The others' willingness to make concessions to the softskins irritates the Dragonborn quite fierce.

• Locked thread