Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Todd Carney will destroy that league. Before getting banned from it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah gently caress them and gently caress the Storm. They got off so lightly for that bullshit.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

bowmore posted:

https://fantasy.nrl.com/classic/index.html#/team

YOUR LEAGUE INVITATION CODE: N22NAVJE

15 spots open

I think I'm in as Woowar Superstar. Although my phone is being weird so not sure if I actually joined.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Also surely the trophy should be a little gold Braith Anasta

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Did Ken Negas play?

Also I didn't see any bar the first Warriors game. Did we look sharp?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Same as always, patches of sheer brilliance mixed in with total poo poo basic errors. And Nagas played but did nothing of note.

Is there any other team in the league that is likely to finish first as it is to finishing last? The Warriors are pretty much the best and worst team to support but I wouldn't want it any other way.

How long is Hurrell out for btw?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Who is regarded as the best league player ever? Andrew Johns is the best I've seen.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Trying to guess where the Warriors will finish is the most difficult thing. Is there any other team that is likely to finish first as it is last?

Also I think the Sharks might be a surprise outfit this year, they've recruited resoanbly well and aren't coached by Ricki Stuart. Canberra and Titans will be fighting for the wooden spoon imo.

Souths, Cowboys and Storm to be minor premiers.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hey if it worked for Joey...

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I love my good god-fearing Warriors, they almost never do anything wrong. At least off the field anyway.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

If watching your team play doesn't make you murderously angry most of the time you're a bandwagon oval office and don't 'get' rugby league.

:respek:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Red_Museum posted:

Tomkins didn't train today as both his hamstrings aren't right.

So we could have Lolohea, Maumalo, Kata, Vete and Lisone playing with 3 NRL games between them

Where is Fish? He wouldn't be a bad option at fullback if Tomkins is out.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Mills posted:

I think Lolohea was only picked because Fisiiahi and Fusitua are out.

I was hoping that Lolohea would push Townsend for a spot in the halves but I think it would probably put too much pressure on Johnson's kicking game.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

It's hard to tell how close we were to anyone. I doubt that were anywhere near Merrin. Taumololo was obviously close if McFadden and Doyle made the trip to Townsville to try to close the deal. And on Foran I don't think it was serious beyond that one tweet from Watson.

I rate Hoffman, but we're also probably overpaying for a 30 year old with plenty of mileage. The same probably could have been said of Steve Price ten years ago, so I'm willing to see what happens.

I can only think of one (Brent Tate) top quality player who was in their prime that's joined the Warriors from another NRL club.

The fact of the matter is that while they can earn more here Auckland just isn't as desirable as living in Sydney, Melbourne or Queensland. We just have to keep promoting youth and complementing them with veterans.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Proper nervous about the Warriors game. We are terrible starters and we are going to have a really inexperienced backline out there.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I haven't been able to watch the game tonight. I'm going to assume we're winning and Johnson has scored a million points.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Warriors....Warriors never change.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Really don't know why I think it will be different every year

It's the hope that kills you.

I didn't see the game but we were missing a few players and we're notoriously poo poo at the start of the season. I really think we need a better option alongside Shaun Johnson than Chad Townsend though.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Support the Melbourne Storm, 2007 and 2009 Premiers of our hearts.

Do you like horrendous cheating? Dirty tactics? Midget Jockeys? If yes then this is the team for you

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I like turning over from the cricket between innings and seeing us completely dismantling the Eels. All I need now is a Phoenix and, most importantly, Liverpool win and I'll have the perfect weekend.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Seriously this is one of the worst reffing performances I've seen. Like I'm honestly calling this ref a cheat.

So many hypocritical bullshit.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Seriously this reffing is insane.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

cpaf posted:

I'm as happy as the next dude to blame referees because they are invariably terrible, but if you think the warriors deserved to win that game after that first half then lol

Yeah we were loving TERRIBLE but that doesn't excuse some of the worst one sided reffing I've ever seen. If it was a one off it would be excusable but the fact of the matter is the Warriors have been on the end of calls like that on an almost weekly basis...since 1994. It makes following a frustrating bunch of clowns that much more frustrating.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I would like the Warriors to win this game.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

loving Warriors :(

Also what happened to Taumalolo? I assume he got injured as that motherfucker made like 4 points in fantasy

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Approximately 10 players from each side pull ouit of City v Country every year anyway so those team lists don't mean much.

Also after sucessfully tipping the Tigers I proceeded to lose every single tip after that for a stunning 1/8.

edit: Has Ryan Hoffman retired from rep footy? Was surprised not to hear him in the Kangaroos side over the likes of Bird, Lewis, Papalii but if he's not in City v Country he mustn't be available. Unless they just plain forgot about him since he's at the Warriors (wouldn't surprise me).

He's been our best player by a country mile too.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

The key to supporting the Warriors is to never have any expectations.

If we could pick up a decent centre and a better option at six I would be pretty happy though.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Kiwi player getting a long suspension while an Australian gets a lighter sentence for a far worse indiscretion...what a surprise.

I hate to be that guy but this poo poo happens so much.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

bowmore posted:

Warriors are going to be the team to beat next year.

You don't know how many times I've thought this.

Seriously, it doesn't seem to matter how good we look on paper, we always seem to gently caress it up somehow. In saying that we are going to have one of the strongest squads we've had and I have high hopes but still feel we'll struggle with our centres and lack of depth in the halves. I know a lot of Warriors supporters that think Townsend is decent but he's not good enough to be in a side with top four aspirations.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Townsend has asked for and been granted a release on compassionate grounds at the end of the season. His Mother in Law has terminal cancer (or some similar situation involving a relative and terminal illness). He's going back to Sydney, most likely Cronulla. Our standoff will be Leuleuai or Lolohea.

Oh I didn't know that.

Hmm Lolohea is pretty good but I haven't seen much of his kicking game. Leuleuai is a handy player but again, not sure he's good enough if we're really going to make a run at the title. If we can pick up a quality centre (who knows how to defend) I'll be much more confident.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

iajanus posted:

Just worked out our seats are literally surrounded by Ridges family. Probably should stop giving him poo poo

As in Matthew Ridge? I would be careful if I were you, he has priors for spitting on the disabled.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

We seem to poo poo the bed against scrubby loving teams like the Titans a lot.

Also against good teams. And mediocre ones.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Was there talk of Maloney coming back? I'd be surprised if there was since while he loved the club he felt he had to go back to Sydney for his wife's sake. Plus he's got a lucratice Ch9 gig.

Parramatta and Manly front offices are a joke, come to Auckland Keiran.

I think he means the Rooster couldn't afford to keep Maloney maybe?

It wouldn't surprise me if we could afford him- we have so many youth products on our team that probably aren't on a whole lot. Is Friend out of contract at the end of the season? He'd be on a fair bit so that would free up some cash.

Surely the obvious place for him to go is the Titans though right? They'll be absolutely desperate to sign a half and they'll have a massive amount of cash to spend.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

I don't think there was much competition for Friend, anyone offering a second year could have had him. Basically once we're done with him, he probably retires.

There is a suspicion that we might have more cap space, but unless contract values are published it's hard to tell. Tuivasa-Sheck is almost a straight swap for Tomkins. Isaac Luke is coming home on a discount. Hoffman is the only obvious Australian we're paying overs for. Mannering, Johnson, Vatuvei and Matulino are probably on good money, but being local juniors could be on club friendly contracts. We also have a big number of young guys who are on pretty reasonable deals.

Lillyman might be on a decent salary too.

I'm guessing Foran an isn't interested in coming to the Warriors though- didn't he turn us down already before this whole eels deal? Given we have less money to spend now I think there's very little chance sadly. I suppose we could be a more attractive prospect given the signings we've made and playing alongside Johnson but nah, don't see it happening.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

League really does attract the dumbest motherfuckers around huh

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

2 strong wins in a row, maybe we are a top 8 side afterall...

Being optimistic about the Warriors is the kiss of death.

Good game and good result though :)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Catch the replay or at least highlights of Warriors v Storm, it was a pretty great game.

Worth watching alone for the Nathan Friend pass haha

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Broken leg/ankle is obviously a lovely injury but I think he should be able to come back without losing too much. I had originally thought he'd done his knee which would have been real bad.

Also baring an absolute miracle that's our season done.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I feel a lot of the Warriors players need a massive kick up the rear end in the off season. If it's true they're all coming back fat and unfit then they should have their pay docked.

I think we'll see a fair few players move on at the end of the season.

• Locked thread