Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ili posted:

Should I follow Les Catalans? I like the French in general and especially the idea of a bunch of snooty Frenchmen (and criminal expats) playing the world's best game in a country that probably doesn't know rugby leage exists. Plus I like their kit.
On the other hand I've never seen Super League, not sure if it's even possible to watch in Australia without cable tv, and they may be the equivalent of the Canberra Raiders only without the successful history.
I'm still drawn to the idea of a team who train on garlic snails, drink wine during half time and wear berets to poorly attended media conferences though.

Over the last few years the team has been competitive, but not really serious challengers. They're like the opposite of the raiders as the south of france is an amazing place to live, so they don't have such a headache attracting players. The team is pretty big and physical, tending towards idiot violence. They have an exciting young fullback called Escare who looks like he weights about 60kg. The fans are totally convinced that the refs are against them, and I think they are in the same way that the warriors get no love in Aus. So they have a big chip on they're shoulder for that. I've got to one game a year the last two years and the stadiums atmosphere is really good, the essential phrase to know is "va te faire enculer" (go get hosed in the arse). Saw them get thrashed by Wigan last year and I was a bit worried for the wigan fans at the stadium, but there was no trouble in the end, the refs in the first half were amazing though, pushing les cats back 12m but Wigan back 8m at every play the ball. Wigan werestill a bunch better and le cats getting two players rightfully sent off didn't help much.

French people in general barely know that RL exists, but its bigish across the south, and prior to WWII it was very big, the Vichy government outlawed league and striped it of its assets giving them to union, nice article on that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ili posted:

Thanks for the info, that was really good. Chalk me up as the newest Catalans fan, even if only so I'll have heard about Escare before my team, the mighty Broncos, buy him from Super League just because we can and then never play him at NRL level.

Well the Broncos (my team too, its a love in!) certainly need another fullback.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Jono C posted:

The refs really liked Wigan

They always really like Wigan. I only got to see the first 20min :( looking forward to Catalans first game, may Carney be crazy good and not just crazy.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lol he just made a high tackle on penny, penny got up furious and then saw how big he was and decided against retribution. The man's a giant.

Lucky not to get a yellow. Great game so far, crazy fast.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Also when penny got up so fast I thought he should have been scooting off down field, the tackle wasn't complete!

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

he isn't very good, the giant fella

Have a go at spelling his name, I'm going for N'booli
edit: im wrong
editedit: no cheating mind

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

you did better than me: Eto Nabuli (27!) enjoys long walks in the rain and winning NSW cups.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

St georges kicking is so good.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

NRL is deffo better but I don't care, give me more of this. Its great. I'm hoping Wire have better fitness in the last 20 and it tells, but maybe I'm dreaming.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ffs, not making touch

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

I recon that's a Benji star power card dodge, which is pretty loving stupid.

and now he makes a try, gently caress.

edit: good try mind

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Wolves players letting the entire northern hemisphere down, though

:D holy poo poo

kicking's been the difference. Good game, I honestly thought Wire would win this before the game.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Next game is weird, I was born in Brisbane and hate wigan after growing up in the UK (every one hates wigan right?) aaaaaaand I think I want Wigan to win.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

cpaf posted:

I didn't think it was possible but Super League commentary might actually be worse than NRL, although admittedly I always mute ray hadley

I like Ray Hadley, (apparently hes a poo poo human being, I have no idea) the horse racing style appeals to me, and due to Stevo and Eddie I expect no sensible analysis.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Alright, hoping my stream holds out and this is a good game. Leeds to win by 12.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

It was fun to watch as a neutral, if Huddersfield had defended in the first 20 like they did for the rest of the match Leeds would have been in trouble. Leeds still looked the better team though.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Cas look almost on top here at Saints 6 - 0 Cas, not much spark in attack though.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Great almost try for Cas there, harsh forward pass.

edit: ref cam makes it look very forward, fair enough.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Ididn't think it was forward

Wish refs would speed up the ruck, it's painfully slow

the only shot that looked forward was ref cam, and he wasn't along the line, but it did look forward on that.

Now saints score thats too bad, hope Cas can come back.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

loving hate eddie though, jesus christ

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Great game from Catalans, Carney was loving awesome, Escare showed some defensive backbone and they were disciplined which is something I've never thought about them before I think. Ref had a good game as well.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Ref made no errors, that mad Aussie played really well, and wolves looked very poor. Dragons might do ok this season if they can take performances like that on the road with them. Can't see it, meself.

If they can take the discipline on the road they'll be strong. They (commentators etc) talk a lot about the travel, but they travel less than any non Sydney NRL team. I'm excited. Turgid in fact.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

NRL predictions: don't think I've done this yet this year...

Rabbitohs
Roosters
Cowboys
Bulldogs
Panthers
Broncos
Sea Eagles
Dragons
Warriors
Storm
Sharks
Eels
West Tigers
Knights
Raiders
Titans

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ili posted:

An hour to go and I'm getting impatient. Time to see the mighty Broncos possibly barely scrape home if they're really lucky. Fire up you sad cunts!

If by some miracle we win I'm going to be uncontrolably excited about this season. If we loose by < 12 I'll be pretty happy.

In any case :horse:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Whats the 300m line about?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Well that hurt. :(

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

So uhh, I think I'm going to support the Titans instead.

The weirdest fair-weather fan :)

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Airstream Driver posted:

I was joking but I expected they would play a lot better than that.

Its worrying but Souths will do that to a few teams this year. Sharks next week should be a good benchmark for the season. Souths against the Roosters next week ditto for them actually.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Apparently Leeds only need to play for 40m.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

First two rounds are always like this. Having said that, I'd rather see a close contested game than a blow out even at a lower standard (Unless its my team doing the winning of course).

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Was hoping Wakey could get it done, hard work to come back now. And Yeah shocking refereeing.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

I want Wakey to win so its hard to know if I'm biased but seems like all game Saints have the rub. I'm not even a Wakey fan really,

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Wigan getting stuffed is good though

agreed, always agreed, gently caress wigan

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I dont like wakey but I want saints to lose heavily every week

Everyone in my family who gives a poo poo about RL is from wakey except me, also Castleford 42-8 Wigan :lol:

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Nice try, good finish coming up here

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Too many forward passes, still not finished but gently caress thats annoying.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Mad game in south France 40-40 slight defensive issues maybe? Ref had a shocker. Doesn't know the rules and gives an incorrect pen to tie it up in last 2m.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Whats the use of the On Report system? Why can't every incident be looked at, then maybe the refs would show a card for poo poo like that?

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Thing is I don't even see an upside, what is the official reason for it? Are the match reviewers so busy they can't look at all the incidents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Lmao at the Sky intro for tonight's game, playing the Johnny cash version of hurt over black and white images of Eddie hemmings looking sad because his mate stevo has been ill for a fortnight, gently caress me what a joke that was

I only just turned it on, you are kidding right?

• Locked thread