Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

sweeperbravo posted:

How long can a visiting housedog live without eating :smith: Herb has been around for about a week or two now and I don't think there's much in the way of provisions for him here. He doesn't move much these days and he appears to change in color.

He is my only friend most of the time when I am at home :(

According to this website (which has a lot of typos on it!), anywhere from "daily" to "every few months".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

That is good to know :) Hopefully my friend will stay with me a bit longer then. Though there isn't a source of fluids near the ceiling so I may choose to worry about that instead.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
If your housefriend should have the misfortune to pass away, sleep well knowing that there are likely dozens of other housefriends in cracks, behind drapes and furniture, and crawling unnoticed in your dresser and closet.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
It's prime dog season over here now. They are everywhere. At least ten at my front door, of all sorts of different breeds.

I put up a dog hotel last autumn but I'm not sure if any use it. Something like this:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

sweeperbravo posted:

How long can a visiting housedog live without eating :smith: Herb has been around for about a week or two now and I don't think there's much in the way of provisions for him here. He doesn't move much these days and he appears to change in color.

He is my only friend most of the time when I am at home :(
if he's a fully mature male (check for the great big clubbed palps males have), he probably won't make it through the winter unfortunately :smith:
it's mating season for them right now, and males don't live much past it (and won't eat either)
if Herb is actually a girldog, then you've got nothing to worry about, might just be getting ready to moult

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

vaguely posted:

if he's a fully mature male (check for the great big clubbed palps males have), he probably won't make it through the winter unfortunately :smith:
it's mating season for them right now, and males don't live much past it (and won't eat either)
if Herb is actually a girldog, then you've got nothing to worry about, might just be getting ready to moult

Interesting! I think Herb molted about a week ago. Do only girldogs molt? I don't think Herb has the palps you describe. Girl Herb :3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

no, all dogs moult a certain number of times but immature males and females look pretty much the same
she'll be resting for a little while after moulting so that her new skin and can dry out and harden properly, that'll be why you're seeing a colour change (they're much paler just after moulting and will gradually darken into their usual colours)
make sure she has something to drink nearby - set down a bottle cap of water or a damp piece of cotton wool - and she'll be just fine!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Cool :) I will see about affixing a damp cotton ball up near where she hangs out. In the weeks she has been here I have never seen her descend more than a few inches below the moulding, though she's moved horizontally quite a bit.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

vaguely posted:

Awwwwww nooooo :smith:

There is an absolutely giant housedog I've seen about the last couple of days. I'm pretty sure he's a dude trying to find some ladies. Last night he was going crazy - he scuttled back and forth across the room multiple times, up and down walls, into and out of corners, under the couch and back out again. Never seen one so active, especially in a well lit room.

I'm quite attached to him after watching his lust-driven antics. I don't want him to die :(

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

When I woke up yesterday morning Herb was gone. I hope she went into the wall and found a nice cozy homespot with juicy tender cats to eat. It is much lonelier here now :smith:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Enfys posted:

Awwwwww nooooo :smith:

There is an absolutely giant housedog I've seen about the last couple of days. I'm pretty sure he's a dude trying to find some ladies. Last night he was going crazy - he scuttled back and forth across the room multiple times, up and down walls, into and out of corners, under the couch and back out again. Never seen one so active, especially in a well lit room.

I'm quite attached to him after watching his lust-driven antics. I don't want him to die :(

TIS BETTER TO HAVE LOVED AND DIED THAN NEVER LOVED AT ALL

I GOT THAT FROM FUTURAMA

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Wolves are cool to post too, right? One showed up at my door this morning:

She was friendly :3:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

oh GOSH she's gorgeous I love her!!!!!
!!!
:kimchi:

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Dead Reckoning posted:

If your housefriend should have the misfortune to pass away, sleep well knowing that there are likely dozens of other housefriends in cracks, behind drapes and furniture, and crawling unnoticed in your dresser and closet.

gently caress YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Why do I click on this thread why why

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
You always want dogs around. Dogs are man's best friend. If you have a good house, dogs will come. If you have a bad house full of poison that will make man sick, dogs will tell you by not coming. If you don't have dogs you should fix your house, or leave your house and get a better house, with dogs. Dogs will also chase nasty cats and parakeets away, so they do not bite and sting you.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I had to explain to a visitor why we like cockle-dogs (aka Spiny Orb Dogs) and banana-dogs at the farm. They're good at eliminating pests, you see. And we are all about organic pest control.

They are also cute as can be.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My lady friend caught a tiny dog mid meal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shroomich
Apr 2, 2014

I had a teeny, adorable jumping dog climbing on me a little while ago.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Nothing beats a lap dog :3:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

shroomich posted:

lookatdatshit!

All I get around my home are the free-range deerhound-lookin' dogs. If I take some pics, would anyone help me figure out who's hanging in the back yard? I hope they're still ok, it's been 50*f for the last few days. :ohdear:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Was wondering if anyone could identify this breed of dog for me:

She(?) was hiding under a super dense sheet of web in the hinges of our trailer, and fell out when we opened the door and disturbed her. She was about 3/4 inch from nose to tail, and moved like a jumping dog, in short bursts that were hard for the eye to follow. I moved her to a nearby bush, where she seemed content to hug the bottom of this leaf until I left.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

looks like potentially an immature female Phidippus johnsoni, 3rd instar
as a general note, if you want anything identified it really helps to give an idea of your location

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

vaguely posted:

looks like potentially an immature female Phidippus johnsoni, 3rd instar
as a general note, if you want anything identified it really helps to give an idea of your location

I knew I forgot something. Northern Olympic peninsula, state of Washington.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Cannon_Fodder posted:

lookatdatshit!

All I get around my home are the free-range deerhound-lookin' dogs. If I take some pics, would anyone help me figure out who's hanging in the back yard? I hope they're still ok, it's been 50*f for the last few days. :ohdear:

Couldn't find the little fella.

I bet he flew south for the winter.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

shroomich posted:

TRIM YOUR NAILS BETTER.

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
So, what kind of dog is this? We moved a couple of them at our campsite in northern Florida this weekend. It was super hard to get a pic with my phone, as it kept wanting to focus past her. She's a large breed of some kind, as she's a good 4" across with her legs bent like that. Watched her eat a big bug of some kind a little before I got this shot. :3:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmm, let's see. Mosaic abdominal decorations, distinctive characteristic skull pattern on the midsection, luminescent highlights of the extreme impalement appendages; yup, that's Shub Niggurath alright, "The Poodle with a Thousand Young". Count yourself blessed, and make your offerings in her name, and you will enjoy peaceful cohabitation in her domain for the intersection of your respective remaining life spans.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

that's a Nephila sp., given your location most likely N. clavipes
more commonly known as a golden silk orb weaver retriever, or banana dog
their webs are so excellent that they can catch birds and small reptiles in them

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

vaguely posted:

their webs are so excellent that they can catch birds and small reptiles in them

Sweet! That's what I thought it was, but I wasn't sure. It had all kinds of junk in her web, leaves and twigs and stuff. We moved 3 or 4 of them from the camp into the woods a little further.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

vaguely posted:

Really? That was actually my first guess, but I don't recall the Aussie ones being so pretty. I remember them being a lot plainer.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Dr Ozziemandius posted:

So, what kind of dog is this? We moved a couple of them at our campsite in northern Florida this weekend. It was super hard to get a pic with my phone, as it kept wanting to focus past her. She's a large breed of some kind, as she's a good 4" across with her legs bent like that. Watched her eat a big bug of some kind a little before I got this shot. :3:

When mushroom hunting, I always end up going through these webs and screaming like a little girl as the giant loving nightmare is now stuck to me. I think I peed myself once.

Gay Abortions
Dec 12, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Really? That was actually my first guess, but I don't recall the Aussie ones being so pretty. I remember them being a lot plainer.

There are many breeds of golden silk orb weaver retriever all over the world. The east asian variety, N. clavata, is especially lovely :3:

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
There are poodle ones where I'm living now that are about half as big and half as pretty as those ones. They still have the telltale badonkadonk and like to sit in their dog beds with their legs splayed out like the big gal there.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What kind of spider is this? (Excuse the lovely quality, couldn't get the camera to focus properly)

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
:siren:ATTENTION LA-AREA GOONS:siren:
The 8-legged dog Pavilion at the Los Angeles Natural History Museum will close on November 8th. You could just wait until it re-opens next September but that's a long-rear end time.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Jealous. I want to see a dog pavilion :(

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

Jealous. I want to see a dog pavilion :(

Same. Are there comparable places on the East Coast?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

sweeperbravo posted:

Same. Are there comparable places on the East Coast?

From what I hear (I hope I'm wrong) the only other exhibit like that on earth is in the London Zoo But since both of those exhibits have proven to be very popular we'll probably see a bunch like them open up in the next few years.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Mother snuggling her litter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is that... a toucan?

• Locked thread