Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Well, I didn't see this coming.

I just saw a commercial on BBC America and my mind, it was blown: 12 Monkeys is a SyFy Original series.

Sync your house lights to the airing of the show? Ok. Sure.

Trailer clicky.

quote:

Syfy's 12 Monkeys Immediately Distinguishes Itself from the 1995 Film
10/11/14 7:30am

Last night, we caught an early screening of the pilot of Syfy's new series 12 Monkeys. And while it's clearly based on Terry Gilliam's original film of the same name, it takes great pains to set itself apart. Here are our spoiler-free first impressions.

In a way, it's almost a shame that the show's going to have all the baggage of the film to deal with. The original 12 Monkeys is a twisting time travel tale with some huge plot twists that propel it forward, great performances, and shots that should be iconic. That's a lot to compete with. From what we saw, the show deals with it all by keeping the bare bones of the plot, but changing as much else as they can.

In a way, the pilot of 12 Monkeys feels like the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica: it's picked and chosen what it wanted from the original, and anchored the rest in character and a gritty, hyper-realistic vision of the future.

Even just looking at the casting for the film, it's pretty clear that the show isn't the movie. Jeffery Goines is now Jennifer Goines. Kathryn Railly is now Cassandra Railly. While James Cole's name stays the same, Aaron Stanford is in no way a Bruce Willis-type. And the show's been updated to take place now.

Beyond that, the creators have wisely decided against recreated Gilliam's look for the show. That's evident in the trailer. That's something that would probably be unsustainable, both money-wise and in how hard it would be to get many directors to keep that shooting style over the course of many episodes.

The pilot doesn't begin where the movie begins. At all. And it ends with something that, for fans of the film, is a major, major departure. It may even be that two entities from the film have had their roles in the search for the pandemic's origin switched.

The main players in the pilot are Stanford, Amanda Schull as Railly, and the always excellent Zeljko Ivanek as Leland Frost. Schull is perfectly serviceable as a doctor, but she has excellent chemistry with Stanford, which is definitely more important. Stanford, while trying a little too hard in some scenes, is mostly great as a man committed to his mission to save humanity, not at all concerned about wiping this version of himself from history. He's intense, and rightfully so.

What the pilot really proved was that this is a show not afraid of the complications of time travel. It does not slow down and explain to the audience its fractured timeline, save for a few title cards in the beginning. Ivanek gives a speech at the end of the episode that wholly relies on the audience being quicker on the uptake about time travel tropes than the characters.

The pilot also builds in a lot of space in the characters' backstories to fill in later. And you actually want to know about them. you want to know how Stanford got to be in a position where he was picked for his mission. You wonder endlessly about how Railly can get from where we meet her to where she ends up. There's more than enough to carry more episodes.

The pilot did its job perfectly: it leaves you wanting more. I'm actually kind of pissed that I have to wait until the show premieres January 16, 2015 to get more.

As a fan of the movie, I can think of many reasons why this is a bad idea. Then again, I may be too pessimistic. I wonder what people who like the movie think of this adaptation. Terry Gilliam's works are very difficult for me to parse. They seem to barely fit into the film genre to me. How could this translate to television?

I remember the Cassandra complex from the film. So now the character is actually named Cassandra? What, it was too subtle?

Some or all episodes and also webisodes will be up at SyFy.com.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've seen the first 9mins, it works.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In the last year SyFy has knocked it out of the loving park with their original shows. Dominion was odd at first but was carried by some insanely good actors, Ascension was a great clusterfuck mess but still fun to watch, Helix turned more into a unintentional comedy by the end but was still quite entertaining, and Z Nation was the absolute best zombie show of the last 5 years by far.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just saw another trailer. Gonna put stuff in spoiler tags in case you haven't seen the movie:

This could obviously be a bait-and-switch. Some people thought the point of 12 Monkeys was preventing the plague. It was not. It was just a strategy of time-travel to get a sample of the virus that would allow mankind to beat the virus and move back to the surface of Earth after the worst was over.
The trailer I just watched stressed the goal being preventing the plague. I think that was a call-back to the original story.

As I post this, The Exorcist in on BBC America again. Gonna watch that.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Can Aaron Stanford do menace?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The part of the disembodied voice that may or may not be part of Cole's imagination will be played by Katee Sackhoff.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

MrSlam posted:

The part of the disembodied voice that may or may not be part of Cole's imagination will be played by Katee Sackhoff.

:drat:

MrSlam lives up to his name!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
This seems like a strange movie to make into a TV show, but I am always down for more Birkhoff.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just a reminder that tonight's the night. I won't be home so I'm setting the DVR.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I guess that's one way to prove you're from the future.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Quite enjoyed it. Acting was good, special effects were good, sufficiently dark vision of the future. If you didn't catch it, it's worth a watch

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
1st impressions: Ok, lots of changes and not necessarily bad ones. I'm obviously going to have to jettison a lot of my baggage with the movie. They did actually pull a Katee Sakhoff move in there, recasting a certain main character. Doesn't seem like a bad idea since we're not remaking the movie and there's no point rehashing what was done there.

IMDB has this episode list that shows Season One having 13 Episodes. I'm not sure how trustworthy IMDB is in this, but some of the episode titles make me want to see how they're handled.

You can apparently watch Episode 2 now on SyFy.com and OnDemand, as of midnight EST.

I think I'll wait until tomorrow and decide if I want to go an episode ahead.

I will get into more thoughts later but the main one I had when watching this tonight was, "Are people going to be willing to watch this show?" Hard to judge something like that based on the pilot but when the time travel device and its origin is revealed, I definitely pictured a lot of people giving up on the show right then.

So for now all I can say for sure is that it wasn't all horrible. I've watched the film a ton of times and it's one of my favorite Terry Gilliam movies (mostly for the very neat and very convoluted time travel reveals, and it did eventually cause me to also watch the inspiration of the film, La Jete, which I liked very much.)

At this point I wonder if there's an audience for this.

Here's AV Club's first review, and Maureen Ryan's review from Huffington Post.. There's plenty more where this came from via Google.

One little trick I liked that the AV Club person seemed to be unable to figure out:

Cole is described by Leland's genius scientist as some kind of human computer. The implication is that Cole has mental and physical capabilities that are unknown. Shortly after, Cole puts future watch and present watch together on a table and allows them to touch. In the ensuing paradox Cole goes into a sort of Max Payne-esque bullet-time, which he uses to rescue Cassie while everyone is blinking in slow motion (just watch Leland's eyes, it looks like a very deliberate clue as to what's going on) and the gunmen are unable to keep up with his movements with their weapons. While everyone else is probably moving in this weird paradox-time, Cole is unaffected (as the scientist foreshadows when she says, "Not even the paradox can hold you now,") and he carries her out of the room into a hallway. It's not a moment too soon because the watches create some big off-screen explosion, from which only Leland emerges; and he's pretty hosed up. I thought that was kinda neat and would like to see that explored more, as long as it's not overused.
Also, it was a neat parallel to the movie's reveal that Leland wasn't the direct cause of the plague after all, as his death in the show does not cause Cole to cease to exist as Cole and Cassie expected.

EDITS: Some more detail in the spoiler, and (hopefully accurate) Episode information.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 17, 2015

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Enjoyed this, solid start for the series. Probably helps that a writer and producer of the Sarah Connor Chronicles, which had a really good handle on time travel shenanigans, is a writer and executive on this show as well.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah this was good. Always up for some time travel shenanigans and yay Kirk Acevedo!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a huge fan of the movie, and i rewatched it not a couple of months ago.

I loved this. I'm down for a retelling that retells something from a different direction.
Birkoff was great, your man was great, your woman was great. Paradox Grenade that's new. That Kicker!

Ground floor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, it was a good start, but then Helix started off really good then completely blew it. 12 Monkeys has a lot more room to move around in whereas Helix was confined to the research facility and ~corporate mysteries~. As long the 12 Monkeys staff have a clear idea of how to work out the constant back and forth timeline jumps I can see it being a decent show at the minimum.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I watched episode 2. This is a rad show that is cool and neat.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where's episode 2 at?

edit: i found it

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 17, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Two minutes in and already this show has at least 2 Nikita alumni :3:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

Two minutes in and already this show has at least 2 Nikita alumni :3:
Should I be watching Nikita?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I meant to record this show and forgot. :(

Dr. Faustus posted:

Should I be watching Nikita?

The first two seasons are great then it goes way downhill.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

I meant to record this show and forgot. :(
Stream the first two episodes at SyFy.com, or watch them OnDemand!

quote:

The first two seasons are great then it goes way downhill.
Good to know, thank you.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Dr. Faustus posted:

Stream the first two episodes at SyFy.com, or watch them OnDemand!

I'm Canadian but it's actually on showcase.ca, to my shock. Or at least one episode anyway.

edit: watched it - really intrigued. I gobble up any good time travel stuff and this will hopefully fill a hole left by Continuum.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 18, 2015

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Good to know, thank you.

The good news is that the first two seasons are a perfectly self-contained story, and the third season - what I saw of it - sucked because of how extraneous it was. Just pretend they didn't make any more.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah, they thought Nikita was cancelled and wrote the real ending for the end of season 2. Then the CW CEO (or something) said "no I like this show keep doing it" and they went "oh poo poo."

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
So far I'm sold. My expectations were on the floor after Helix but this was really solid. Glad to see some Nikita alumn and to hear theres some TSCC staffers bts as well.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ya looking forward to see how this goes. Love me some time travel shenanigans.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

The show seems like it diverges way from the movie, but I liked the first episode. Birkhoff does a credible job as Cole without trying to outright BE Bruce Willis. Also was the girl at the end from the movie somewhere? She seemed familiar

I should re-watch the movie since it's been years. I remember the final twist being that (spoiled in case someone hasn't seen the movie I guess?) that the Army of the Twelve Monkeys wasn't actually responsible for the plague, they just wanted to free lab animals. And Cole ends up finding the actual plague starter (the creepy redhead guy in the airport concourse) only to be shot to death by cops in front of his younger self in this really grim closed loop paradox.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The girl at the end was a gender swapped version of Brad Pitt's character from the movie.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

WarLocke posted:

I should re-watch the movie since it's been years. I remember the final twist being that (spoiled in case someone hasn't seen the movie I guess?) that the Army of the Twelve Monkeys wasn't actually responsible for the plague, they just wanted to free lab animals. And Cole ends up finding the actual plague starter (the creepy redhead guy in the airport concourse) only to be shot to death by cops in front of his younger self in this really grim closed loop paradox.
Yeah, you remember correctly. I really have to recommend watching La Jete if you can find it. For a short film shown entirely in still photos, it's very effective.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

The show seems like it diverges way from the movie, but I liked the first episode. Birkhoff does a credible job as Cole without trying to outright BE Bruce Willis. Also was the girl at the end from the movie somewhere? She seemed familiar

I thought the big twist at the end was that the scientists are a bunch of dicks and either were never able or never wanted to stop the plague. Cole himself was never going to succeed due to the time paradox but the scientists sent him and who knows how many other convicted criminals back to slowly track the real mastermind in order to steal a sample of the virus. The people that have died to the plague stay dead and while humanity in the future is saved, it's just a matter of time before humanity finally succumbs to another virus.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Yes, at least some of that is explained at the end as well. At this point let's remember that the series could go just about anywhere.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Kegslayer posted:

I thought the big twist at the end was that the scientists are a bunch of dicks and either were never able or never wanted to stop the plague. Cole himself was never going to succeed due to the time paradox but the scientists sent him and who knows how many other convicted criminals back to slowly track the real mastermind in order to steal a sample of the virus. The people that have died to the plague stay dead and while humanity in the future is saved, it's just a matter of time before humanity finally succumbs to another virus.

Sort of. It's explained right from the start that Cole can't change the past. The mission was always to obtain a sample of the original strain so they can cure the virus in the future.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The first episode was ok. It's obvious that they are trying different things from the movie (which is one of my favorite movies) and I am not sure I like all that I see. Most of the paradox stuff in particular is what worries me. They don't introduce multiple timelines (thank god), but then again it's just the first episode and I am not a fan of the cheat tactic "we mentioned paradoxes are a thing, so anything goes".

But for now I am interested enough to see where they go with it, especially since this is airing at a period where there are few stuff on TV that I watch.

They also seem to have removed the main flashback which was centric to the movie. Goddamn, now I want to rewatch the movie again.

By the way, is this supposed to be a multiple seasons series or just a single standalone one like in the case of Fargo (well, the original plan for the Fargo TV series, anyway, before the renewal; although Fargo second season will have a new story).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

The first episode was ok. It's obvious that they are trying different things from the movie (which is one of my favorite movies) and I am not sure I like all that I see. Most of the paradox stuff in particular is what worries me. They don't introduce multiple timelines (thank god), but then again it's just the first episode and I am not a fan of the cheat tactic "we mentioned paradoxes are a thing, so anything goes".

But for now I am interested enough to see where they go with it, especially since this is airing at a period where there are few stuff on TV that I watch.

They also seem to have removed the main flashback which was centric to the movie. Goddamn, now I want to rewatch the movie again.

By the way, is this supposed to be a multiple seasons series or just a single standalone one like in the case of Fargo (well, the original plan for the Fargo TV series, anyway, before the renewal; although Fargo second season will have a new story).

I doubt it will be a single season. It will probably run as long as the ratings are good.

Also I heard that (season 1 plot spoiler) they will get the cure or stop the plague before the season ends. That plot point may have changed though.

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

Kegslayer posted:

The movie is pretty clear about it not being considered possible to fix the past. It was more about a desperate, but ultimately futile, need to feel in control (or maybe that was just Brazil). The show appears to be heading more down a road of regret and atoning/redemption. The movie twist was really limited to him seeing himself die.

This is one of the scientists (who does not appear to be a younger version). My understanding was that she was sent back to collect a sample of the original virus by being infected (sits right next to him, goes out of her way to make physical contact and goes on to say she is in "insurance"). Maybe steal one of those vials to be extra sure but still infected and going to die.

If it is the credits list her as "astrophysicist"; a skill no longer required. Less dicks who just use "volunteer" prisoners to conduct dangerous experiments but more just extremely pragmatic. Although they might have been dicks with the gun at the end; never understood that.

I'm not really please that the show has gone with a few being immune (although they toss in that it is mutating so I guess that they won't always be?). Yes, I'm perfectly willing to accept time travel but a rapidly mutating virulent virus becoming more deadly; that is just too far fetched. And shut up about non-human reservoirs.

Or I'm disappointed it will not be a future of bubble suits with christmas tree lights.

edit:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also I heard that (season 1 plot spoiler) they will get the cure or stop the plague before the season ends. That plot point may have changed though.
It does seem to have suggested that the final nail in the coffin was us killing us with the virus just making is easier/faster. Season two could be a scorched earth over-reaction to contain the virus killing us. Season three would be that we can't trust human judgement so computers and then just reboot any number of sci-fi shows that got cancelled but could get better ratings now.

prak fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jan 18, 2015

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I haven't seen the movie for years but I was under the impression that the scientists, or at least Cole in the original future initially wasn't aware that the past could not have been changed which is why they hand the gun to Cole to kill the rogue scientist and stop the plague from happening.

The scientist from the future at the end of the movie was there either to ensure the rogue scientist was able to complete the mission or had Cole successfully killed him, would have then taken his place and spread the virus herself which is why she's the 'insurance'. It doesn't make sense if you think she's making a big sacrifice to get infected since they could have always just got another criminal guinea pig to go through.

By the time you see her, its obviously the very last step of the program. They can now reliably send someone back to a specific time and place and have all the resources to place the scientist right next to the target. They presumably have the initial sample and cure so all that's left is to clean up the time line.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
^^^ That is more or less how I perceived it too. And I am a fan of the fact that they (or at least Cole from one point on) seemed to be working under the assumption that the past could be altered and made efforts towards that, only to find out that everything played out exactly as it *always* did (going by the theory of a unique timeline with a time machine invented at some point in it; or if you prefer what later LOST tried to do arguably inconsistenly as "whatever happened happened")

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The thing the movie included about getting a sample of the virus so they could create a cure seems to be an important element the series has dropped. The idea of changing the past runs into the very basic paradox that Leland points out, and they haven't (yet) presented an idea of how that can be resolved.

Still the pilot was fun enough that I'll watch for a while. It's already way better than the Strain.

e: I was a little perplexed as to why Cole didn't want to tell Leland why he had been sent back. Obviously even from limited exposure it seemed like Leland was a pretty black-hearted guy but you'd think that even the most amoral person would balk at a course of events leading to a worldwide pandemic that wipes out civilization. Why not say 'yeah if you continue bioresearch you'll create this real bad disease'? Leland was already a believer in time travel and everything!

Giant Tourtiere fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

evenworse username posted:

Why not say 'yeah if you continue bioresearch you'll create this real bad disease'? Leland was already a believer in time travel and everything!
Well this is directly from my rear end and nowhere else, but it fits with Cole still drawing down on Leland at the reception while Cassie was "waving him off," as well as his devastated reaction to Leland's death at the end.

I think Cole in the pilot was just dead-set on completing the mission and hopefully saving 7+ Billion people. He's already had to psych himself up to committing cold-blooded murder with the expected result being he would cease to have ever existed. In order to cope with all of that he's got tunnel-vision and probably feels like he has to achieve this objective while he has the opportunity and can't really allow himself to consider any other course of action.

Now he has a lot more to think about.

• Locked thread