Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I've been firing up some older SNES games like Shadowrun and Ogre Battle and was wondering if there is any way to get these (or other console games that would work well with a mouse) to work with a mouse in any of the current emulators. I know it's a long shot especially if the base game didn't include SNES Mouse support, but we have some really talented romhackers in here and I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. Maybe it's not even technically feasible at all.

Ogre Battle with a mouse would be really awesome; if it's not doable in the SNES version, would the PSX version be any different? I can't see why it would be but :shrug:

E: the main emulator I've been using is SNES9X on an android device. I usually play my SNES games either on my old SNES or on my phone but wouldn't mind popping stuff into the PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

that would be cool as hell ogre battle was a lot of fun

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

also 64 was the best one

Dec 26, 2012

i know you could do this with n64 emulators, bind the joystick as a mouse. no idea about snes

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Dont bully me! posted:

also 64 was the best one

Truer words never spoken.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Dont bully me! posted:

also 64 was the best one

hell yeah I want another one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tactics ogre is extremely win as well

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

matsuno is a loving deity

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

if you're talking about just assigning movement to mouse movement i think a lot of emulators already have that capability

but getting in-game poo poo to be just as fast and responsive as a mouse pointer would be a pretty intensive hack that may not even be possible for most games

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i could probably make a lua hack to move the cursor if it works like that but i don't know how well it'd work

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

matsuno is a loving deity

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
isnt he making a new game or whatever too?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

There has not been a new ogre battle in 15 years

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Jackie D posted:

There has not been a new ogre battle in 15 years

The last Ogre is in captivity. The battle is at peace.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

tactics ogre is extremely win as well

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

i never understood the alignment/chaos frame poo poo and I always got the bad endings because i'd make one or two murdersquads and make them do everything

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I never played these games but they seemed cool. My friend used play Ogre Battle 64 all the time while I used her GB to make pkmn trades.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I never played these games but they seemed cool. My friend used play Ogre Battle 64 all the time while I used her GB to make pkmn trades.

i'd say they probably hold up well enough that they're worth revisiting if you're at all interested, but they are probably unlike anything else you've played and that can be off-putting.

Mach2
Feb 28, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GriPVfPDO7M

psymonkey
May 22, 2006

This post is full of pretty awesome holes. I like all the holes in this post.
Every time I try to psyche myself up to play an ogre battle game, I end up having a nervous breakdown answering all the questions they ask at the beginning of the game. That's as far as I've ever gotten.

Seems cool from the screenshots I've seen though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Use the SNES mouse, op

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ogre Battle 64 was a great game. Got all the endings, felt like a boss.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i didn't like the ogre battle 64 soldier promotion mechanic, but overall the OB and TO games are great.

also i think Nintendo Power continued to include secrets and tips for SNES Ogre Battle for like 2 years after it was released. what a dense game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

i didn't like the ogre battle 64 soldier promotion mechanic, but overall the OB and TO games are great.

also i think Nintendo Power continued to include secrets and tips for SNES Ogre Battle for like 2 years after it was released. what a dense game.

The Ogre games loving own but they're all really bad about being super opaque about their game mechanics, even moreso than most jrpgs

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

tfw you get warren and lans upgraded to their advanced classes and they just destroy everything

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

64 was epic and a lot of fun to play but I remember it had a bunch of non-obvious and bizarre things involved like how to promote certain classes or unlock others or whatever. Still an amazing game and I want to replay it now.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dont bully me! posted:

tfw you get warren and lans upgraded to their advanced classes and they just destroy everything

Warren always killed way too many things and I had to use stat boost items to promote him to a mage so that I could send him on his way to lichdom.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

did anyone use monster/beast/giant squads? I always felt like they never did enough damage so i never leveled any up.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Dont bully me! posted:

did anyone use monster/beast/giant squads? I always felt like they never did enough damage so i never leveled any up.

I used a dragon in 64 and it wrecked poo poo but I could never get it upgraded to the third class or whatever.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Dont bully me! posted:

i'd say they probably hold up well enough that they're worth revisiting if you're at all interested, but they are probably unlike anything else you've played and that can be off-putting.

What's different about them? I know nothing about the series :negative:.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Dont bully me! posted:

The two Titans you get with Norn are pretty good. Giants in general are nice early game for soaking up and dealing damage in the front lines. Golems are terrible and have zero redeeming qualities; if you're playing an evil game Tiamats are really awesome.

Also Gryphons are incredible especially early game with their attack all and high sky movement. Cockatrices are pretty fun too (and can kill undead oddly).

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

They're good but they have some really insane obtuse and hidden poo poo. It's cool because basically none of it is required but you can do all sorts of ridiculous stuff if you know what to do. 64 is the one I'm most familiar with and it definitely has that in spades.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

They never had ogre games at blockbuster.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

They have some really obscure side quests to get hidden characters and/or objects that can be vital to unlocking a lot of the content especially endgame.

In the SNES one in particular there is a very early stage with a hidden set of objectives that if you don't complete locks you out of quite a bit of neat stuff. The game hints at it often through dialogue but it's not spelled out and if you're just conquering cities like crazy you can easily miss it.

Other stuff that messes with people has to do with finding the chaos gates but the game tells you about that often especially if you revisit areas and cities you have already liberated (good idea to do anyways since you get neutral units, extra items and even some unique characters like that).

The class promotion mechanics are really strict and that throws some folks off. Once you figure out how the game works it's not a big deal and the game actually came with a (mostly complete) class poster that showed you what classes needed what. If you don't want to mess with any of that you can just use a charm spell and recruit enemy units anyways.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

If you're familiar with some of the JRPG's out there that have really weird and obscure mechanics it's not that different. I think it was just really different from much of the stuff that was hitting the west when they came out. The games often expect you to revisit cities and to pay close attention to how combat takes place (like, if you want really noble and good classes it's better to damage an enemy to repel them leaving them mostly alive rather than just eliminate them especially if they're a lower level than your unit).

It doesn't have as much hidden stuff as SaGa as a series but it's more in depth than the Final Fantasy series if that makes any sense mechanics wise.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
if you're the kind of person who doesn't like to look at guides when they play through a game for the first time, Ogre Battle might not be for you

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

if you're the kind of person who doesn't like to look at guides when they play through a game for the first time, Ogre Battle might not be for you

I did this the first time I played it as a kid and ended up having a lot of fun doing an evil playthrough since it's really easy to end up with that. You also end up with some absurdly overpowered units by doing so.

One fun thing was the "fireseal" hidden level that Nintendo Power published. You got to gently caress with all sorts of fun units in a really neat stage there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

isnt he making a new game or whatever too?

yeah but it was a kickstarter...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dragoons were loving awesome in 64.

• Locked thread