Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Sheep-Goats posted:

Taiwan > Hong Kong > Most of the Capital Cities in South America > Shanghai > Beijing > A Goblin Camp in Lord of the Rings > Actual Mainland China

If you hate nature and love money and don't care about art then you might put HK over Taiwan.

there's tonnes of nature in HK, brah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Fojar38 posted:

this is basically china.txt

all those skyscrapers might look great all lit up at night and poo poo but that disguises the fact that most of them are made of paper
I spent 3 weeks in China + Tibet and I completely agree - every hotel I stayed at looked nice on the surface but was clearly thrown together.

The funniest thing was that they had hedgerows on all the streets in the countryside so that you couldn't see the million ghost cities from the road. Because out of sight, out of mind. Except that you could of course see the top 10 stories of the dozen empty shells of buildings as you drove past.

Probably the saddest thing was the "build it and they will come" mentality. Guilin was completely built up with a brand new highway to a brand new rail line and a huge meticulously landscaped visitor's center which was 100% deserted, but several people assured me that they were going to be the next big hotspot because they were practically in <x big city's> backyard. That sentiment was repeated in several places but Guilin was the worst.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 17, 2015

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Sheep-Goats posted:

Taiwan > Hong Kong > Most of the Capital Cities in South America > Shanghai > Beijing > A Goblin Camp in Lord of the Rings > Actual Mainland China

If you hate nature and love money and don't care about art then you might put HK over Taiwan.

has anyone been to the taiwanese national parks? i been checking their wikipedia and webpage and they look loving impressive. taroko natl park looks really primo in fact

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The park in the middle of HK is pretty nice, but not exactly what I'd call "nature" I guess

Highlights include a bigass outdoor bird menagerie and a little tower with a spiraling staircase that may kill some fatass americans

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

opus111 posted:

HK has some parks and hills and beaches and poo poo, but I never really saw grass and trees just growin on tops of buildings.

Sorry I live in Taiwan so no dystopian urban hellscapes for you guys here.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
roof gardens own

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Frostwerks posted:

has anyone been to the taiwanese national parks? i been checking their wikipedia and webpage and they look loving impressive. taroko natl park looks really primo in fact

Yes. Definitely go to Taroko. The best deal is if you can rent a scooter and drive into it yourself. It's unbelievably gorgeous. If you can't do that, then see about renting a car or hiring a taxi. I recommend a scooter over a car though because, being a gorge, the roads are thin and twisty and scary, especially when tourist buses come barreling down at you from the other direction.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

e: I can't read

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
but you can type. that must be rough

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Rebuild Kowloon Walled City

Failing that, please resurrect Kowloon Walled City

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Horatius Bonar posted:

HK has some parks and hills and beaches and poo poo, but I never really saw grass and trees just growin on tops of buildings.

Sorry I live in Taiwan so no dystopian urban hellscapes for you guys here.

Satellite view of Hong Kong is pretty fuckin green:

40% of the territory is country parks and another 20% is reserved for rural villages because of dumb deals Englishmen made in the 19th century with local clans.

The urban areas of Hong Kong are so retardedly dense that you can step outside a 40-story skyscraper apartment building and in a couple of steps be in a literal jungle surrounded by monkeys, wild boars and buffalo.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
More rural HK:

People think everything is Mong Kok, Kwun Tong or Central. But the corollary of density is that it leaves tons of space that has no people in it. And that space is beautiful and amazing and it's simultaneously disappointing and a very good thing that most visitors to Hong Kong never see it.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Bloodnose posted:

Satellite view of Hong Kong is pretty fuckin green:

40% of the territory is country parks and another 20% is reserved for rural villages because of dumb deals Englishmen made in the 19th century with local clans.

The urban areas of Hong Kong are so retardedly dense that you can step outside a 40-story skyscraper apartment building and in a couple of steps be in a literal jungle surrounded by monkeys, wild boars and buffalo.

thank you for making the post i was going to. lmao ofc goons who went to hk could barely haul their bulk outside of the city boundaries and see that the majority of hk is green.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Bloodnose posted:

People think everything is Mong Kok, Kwun Tong or Central. But the corollary of density is that it leaves tons of space that has no people in it. And that space is beautiful and amazing and it's simultaneously disappointing and a very good thing that most visitors to Hong Kong never see it.

high freaking five.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
especially mainland visitors

they'd gently caress it up with cigarette butts and louis vuitton stores

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
http://hongyitoys.en.alibaba.com/product/60163512087-219332086/Inflatable_girl_pony.html

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
:suicide:

Why

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hip to waist ratio

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bloodnose posted:

So it's like the last SimCity game.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the trick to enjoying china is to be an bratty little punkass expat high schooler and get shitfaced in crappy bars for next to nothing every weekend while your friends back home are struggling to buy beer

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

So it's like the last SimCity game.

Yes I made some posts in the Sim City thread with pictures of my neighborhood showing how their dumbass game actually happened in one unlikely real life situation.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fonzarelli posted:

the trick to enjoying china is to be an bratty little punkass expat high schooler and get shitfaced in crappy bars for next to nothing every weekend while your friends back home are struggling to buy beer

when i was over there every drat chinese dude i met wanted me to goto a ktv bar with them

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

ded posted:

when i was over there every drat chinese dude i met wanted me to goto a ktv bar with them

There are actually small sections of beijing that are pretty much crawling with 15-19 year old foreigners getting shitfaced every weekend, little expat enclaves or lovely clubs and bars.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

anyone else read this book about pre-Communist takeover China?

http://amzn.com/B0006QY4WS

warning: it is incredibly racist.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Bloodnose posted:

More rural HK:

this is true of taiwan except the island is bigger. also of singapore. ive found the secret to making chinese people awesome; unlike englishmen, put them on a loving island. poo poo will work itself out.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
i dont mean that singapore is bigger thank hk, just that its an island

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
None of the pictures I shared were from any of Hong Kong's islands.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Frostwerks posted:

The 7-Eleven at Alishan is nice.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

opus111 posted:

Yet if you're the sort of person who hates nature you may rank Hong Kong ahead of Taiwan, this weird but true fact that

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

where the gently caress do these trees come from i always wonder.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
let me introduce you to this concept called nature

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
more like gayture

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

Yet if you're the sort of person who hates nature you may rank Hong Kong ahead of Taiwan, this weird but true fact that

I rank Hong Kong ahead of Taiwan because I like common law, a currency pegged to the dollar, and conducting official business in my native language

edit: also no dividend, estate or property taxes and a top income tax rate of 17%

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

more like gayture

I got your gayture right here.

Horatius Bonar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 17, 2015

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
haha gently caress you gator you think you can bite me with duct tape on your snout? gently caress off bitch

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Horatius Bonar posted:

where the gently caress do these trees come from i always wonder.

Those trees have a will to live that cannot be denied by Man.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i've never seen half an alligator before. and that doesn't even look like those long-nosed chinese alligators either where the gently caress did they get it from

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Speaking of trees China just LOVES planting the things. They plant them to try and halt erosion or to undo the damage industrialization caused and when I was in Tibet, they planted a million trees along the river just outside of Lhasa:

It doesn't show very well in this picture but all the trees are identical and are planted in super neat orderly rows and in a grid pattern. It looks really horrible and fake. I took a few pictures trying to capture how dumb it looked but none of them turned out very well. It basically looks like this:

Just hundreds and hundreds of square KM of that.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Looks dumb but is it environmentally bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Well, you have terraforming unintended consequences and a complete lack of biodiversity because it's just a single type of fast-growing non-native tree. Basically known reforestation concerns that were identified and mitigated decades ago by responsible forestry departments but in the normal Chinese spirit they're just going to plow ahead with the plan even though the results are uncertain.

I can tell you that a quarter of the trees I saw in Lhasa were dead or dying because they're using it to try and make the river more consistent but the drat thing expands and contracts like the nile. All the trees in that pic were in a grid, the empty spaces are where the trees have been washed away.

The first article talks about their reclamation efforts elsewhere which don't seem to be doing too well, either:

quote:

In contrast to successful attempts elsewhere to halt deforestation or replace recently felled trees, most of China’s planting is on long-barren land. Much is of non-native pines and poplars, which are easy to grow and produce wood that can quickly be sold as paper pulp or planks. The result is an “ecological mismatch”, says Jiang Hong of the University of Hawaii.

Just 15% of trees planted on China’s drylands since 1949 survive today, estimates Cao Shixiong of Beijing Forestry University. Many died of age, as those grown from cuttings (as most are) only have a lifespan of around four decades. But many were simply unsuited to the soil. Monocultures are prone to disease. In Ningxia, in northwest China, a pest wiped out 1 billion poplar trees in 2000—two decades of planting efforts. In arid areas trees may even aggravate desertification by depleting groundwater and killing grasses that bind the soil.

tl;dr: Yep. And doesn't work. And they've been trying the same thing for 60 years.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 17, 2015

• Locked thread