Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Could someone please post the pic of the bolt that was glowing cherry red because of the electrical current running through it? I want to show someone and words can't do that picture justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Applewhite posted:

Could someone please post the pic of the bolt that was glowing cherry red because of the electrical current running through it? I want to show someone and words can't do that picture justice.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3693945&pagenumber=61&perpage=40#post446697313

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

If those colors are correct, that thing is >900°C at its hottest point where it starts to go orange.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Icedude posted:

I thought that was an entirely separate patent filed by an actual airplane manufacturer, and the idea was maintenance as you said but also to improve turnaround times at airports by just having all passenger boarding being done before the plane even lands, the module in the airport terminal is swapped with the one on the plane while it refuels, and then the plane leaves as the previous passengers disembark. And it didn't involve ejecting the passengers at all.

I thought it was just some bullshit a design student thought up

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

Applewhite posted:

Hate to be that guy but last time that was posted wasn't the conclusion that the bolt was externally heated (due to the charring around the bolt)?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sneaking posted:

Hate to be that guy but last time that was posted wasn't the conclusion that the bolt was externally heated (due to the charring around the bolt)?

I don't know nothin' about that but I think the charring could easily be explained by the heat coming off the bolt itself.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

The hottest spot is where it contacts the washer. The heat source looks like an insufficient contact surface creating way too much resistance.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

I thought it was just some bullshit a design student thought up

Oh yeah, that video is definitely unrelated except for the general idea. I was talking about this: http://www.wired.com/2015/11/airbus-patents-detachable-cabins-to-cut-plane-boarding-times/

Then again, I get the feeling they saw this and said "but what if it ejected and had parachutes?"

Icedude fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 29, 2016

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
This thread has probably enough pages to go to the crew subforum

a bay
Oct 14, 2014

by Lowtax
Funny idea for what to call it when that happens: crew cucked lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Re: "Safety Plane":

Planes are already 17 times safer than cars are. You are more likely to be killed in a road traffic accident on the way to the airport then you are on the plane itself. Those things are checked really routinely and thouroughly for the simple reason that people don't trust them.

All a system like that would do is make maintenance more of a loving ball ache, as well as making it so the planes have to weigh twice as much and carry twice as much fuel because they can't be an effecient air-frame design any more, you have to use 2 god drat airframes inside each other. The entire system is a completely useless crock of poo poo.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

VectorSigma posted:

If those colors are correct, that thing is >900°C at its hottest point where it starts to go orange.

I think there was some debate as to whether that was really overheating, or if it was blowtorched to try and get a stuck nut off.

Generally a low-voltage termination shouldn't exceed 60 or 75C. (HV connections generally are made to tolerate much higher temperatures.)

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

This is quite literally the explanation for how the boys get stranded on the island in The Lord of the Flies. Step up your game idiot amateur designers.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What happens to the pilots?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Three-Phase posted:

in the book he bailed out and died when he wrapped his parachute in a tree

in the gif you can see them 'land' in the background

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Three-Phase posted:

Heavenly judgment.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I mean once the passenger section gets separated...

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

the dentists have gone too far

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Three-Phase posted:

I mean once the passenger section gets separated...

Wouldn't this vehicle immediate tear itself apart from the sudden change in aerodynamics and load at flight speeds? I mean, can the joint of the wings and pilot cabin even take the strain of suddenly not lifting a bunch of meat cargo (which, already, is in the middle of a different disaster happening)? The CH-54 this thing looks like has a cruise of 100mph, not 500mph.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

I think there was some debate as to whether that was really overheating, or if it was blowtorched to try and get a stuck nut off.

Generally a low-voltage termination shouldn't exceed 60 or 75C. (HV connections generally are made to tolerate much higher temperatures.)

A low-voltage termination shouldn't, unless it's not tightened sufficiently and a small contact-patch heats up raises resistance exponentially until the bolt is glowing red. Same way wire-nuts catch fire.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://i.imgur.com/NoKfub2.gifv

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thread title.

http://i.imgur.com/cglQDUS.webm

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

:stonk: jesus

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Please tell me that's a sewer pipe. God, it's hypnotic.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

That'll do, pig.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Three-Phase posted:

As suggested earlier, they're kept safe by their earthquake beds.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Taco_Bell.gifv

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

SNOT CORN posted:

If it's so easy then why dont they just put a parachute on the fucken plane? Do the pilots really need to die in this scenario?

Airliner parachutes aren't cheap, you're issued 2 when you join the airline, which is conveniently the exact number needed to save the passengers. Don't gently caress it up.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Baronjutter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4E3WjNufA

Jesus christ. Dude "cooking" directly with his house wiring.

This kind of poo poo (well, not doing it directly with the wiring, but using electricity directly to heat water) isn't as unusual as you'd think, at least outside of countries that tend to have more modern amenities. Here's a gadget that boils water directly with electric current, and here's an electrically-heated shower head, for houses that don't have central water heating. (It's affectionately known as a "suicide shower.")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Great job everyone! *falls off of a bamboo ladder into a open vat of molten glass*

• Locked thread