Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Josh Lyman posted:

Crossfield is unironically the best instructor on Youtube.

My favourite video of his
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn6tmbh9B_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Bear in mind that your setup plays a significant role in shot shape. So the easiest way to hit a draw shape (imo) is to setup slightly closed to the target (with the clubface square to the target), swing along your footline, and release.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Played for the first time in a month (thanks work + Harvey). Was well on my way to not breaking 80, then I birdied 16, almost putted in from the fringe for birdie on 17, then chipped in for birdie on 18 to shoot 78.

I will not discuss the other 15 holes.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Sergio just took like 25 minutes to get a free drop out of the water hazard.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Sergio just took like 25 minutes to get a free drop out of the water hazard.

Making par on the last very likely moved him safely inside the top 30 and on to next week's Tour Championship. Good for him.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Wow crazy: I almost didn't play yesterday because of a painful ruptured blister on the inside knuckle of my right pinkie finger. Made it difficult to grip the club, but I wrapped it up and played anyway. I still couldn't grip the club as tightly as I usually do (almost certainly too tight), so I just swung like half-swings all day and hit the ball better than I ever have. Ended up beating my previous best by several shots.

So I did some research after I came home and it turns out that's a thing: bringing your left arm no higher than parallel to the ground during your backswing. I noticed it also made it very easy to keep my left heel on the ground, which is something I just started working on. Also, good for keeping your left arm straight. Different parts of my swing have been wildly inconsistent, but yesterday my swing felt very effortless and (almost) everything went straight and I didn't lose any meaningful distance. I know it's one round, but it was my best golf in the 2 1/2 years I've been playing, hands down.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My backswing gets too long sometimes, especially with my irons, so I try to keep the "left arm parallel with ground" thought in my head when I swing. I actually bring it back farther than that but that's the feel I go for and it works great.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I'm just amazed at the number of problems I've been creating for myself by overswinging. Once the hands travel much higher than the right shoulder, everything from the left heel up to the wrists starts getting dodgy. I really was shocked at how much easier and effortless it was to hit it straight.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wesley Bryan went off as a single sunday morning, knowing he wasn't gonna qualify for next weekend and played 18 in 1 hour 30 minutes and shot 2 under lol

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

mattfl posted:

Wesley Bryan went off as a single sunday morning, knowing he wasn't gonna qualify for next weekend and played 18 in 1 hour 30 minutes and shot 2 under lol

Yeah walking a 7200 yard course in 90 minutes is pretty impressive, let alone being under par. That's 4 miles plus whatever it was between each green and the next tee.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone play the Robert Trent Jones course at Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head? Just booked a round there for when I'm there in 3 weeks. Heard it's supposed to be one of the best on the island. We're staying at the Mariott resort right there on the beach on our way to see my dad in Pigeon Forge and I talked to wife into visiting the spa/drinking by the pool that morning while I hit the course :)

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Anyone play the Robert Trent Jones course at Palmetto Dunes in Hilton Head? Just booked a round there for when I'm there in 3 weeks. Heard it's supposed to be one of the best on the island. We're staying at the Mariott resort right there on the beach on our way to see my dad in Pigeon Forge and I talked to wife into visiting the spa/drinking by the pool that morning while I hit the course :)

Yes. Check on their maintenance schedule. I liked it quite a bit, but if they're doing their fall stuff you're screwed.

edit: Had my courses confused. I really liked this one, but I hit hybrid off the tee almost all day, because it is tight and lots of wind. Low tee shots down the middle all day to keep in play.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 19, 2017

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Yes. Check on their maintenance schedule. I liked it quite a bit, but if they're doing their fall stuff you're screwed.

edit: Had my courses confused. I really liked this one, but I hit hybrid off the tee almost all day, because it is tight and lots of wind. Low tee shots down the middle all day to keep in play.

Looks like they did their aeration at the beginning of August according to their website. So I should be good to go.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mattfl posted:

Looks like they did their aeration at the beginning of August according to their website. So I should be good to go.

Then you're going to love it. Tight, but beautiful greens. The wind is the real tough thing to deal with, and it's pretty much always windy due to location.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Then you're going to love it. Tight, but beautiful greens. The wind is the real tough thing to deal with, and it's pretty much always windy due to location.

Super excited!

Then I'm playing 2 rounds up in Pigeon Forge with my dad the following 2 days. Probably Gatlinburg Golf Course and one near where he lives in Sevierville.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just played 18 at a local high-quality munie. The whole "short backswing hit it soft" thing that worked so well for me on Saturday really came through for me today. I scored better than my partner/opponent, though admittedly he hadn't played more than a couple times a year for the past 5 seasons. Still,I would normally have no business beating this guy. I'm starting to think that my jacked-up finger is the best thing that's ever happened to my game.

I may now post to the day-drinking thread.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

A good golf buddy who moved to Florida last year and is in town as a hurricane refugee sold his Nike Vapor Pros and offered to buy my irons, Titleist 712 MB w/X100 3-PW. Notably, these are the irons Rory used to win the 2012 PGA Championship right before leaving Titleist. They also have a nice anti-glare satin finish which has gone out of style for some reason.

The mid irons have moderate wear and the short irons have substantial wear so I was entertaining the idea for $200. Even so, I'd feel naked without a full set of clubs.

Replacing with the new 718 MB is out of the question. The MSRP went up 20% and I'd have to pay full price since there aren't any used sets.

The 714 MB look like poo poo.

I always considered upgrading to the 716 MB after used sets were under $400, and while most sets on Ebay are still $550+, someone offered me 4-PW in good condition with Tour Issue X100 shafts (ideal) and nearly new Golf Pride Victory Cord grips (almost ideal) that I haggled down to $400. The only caveat is that they're 4-PW, so I need to decide if I'm going to get a (driving) 2/3 iron or finally switch to a 4 wedge setup, but I'll mostly likely just have 13 clubs until I can find a 3 iron for <$60.

All this happened in 12 hours. And to think, I definitely wasn't going to buy any new golf stuff in 2017.
After a 1 week delay for USPS, the irons finally arrived. Great shape.

Except the shafts are S400, not X100. :negative:

Seller apparently traffics in clubs because they said they had X100 pulls from a set of T-MB's. I've reshafted woods and pulled iron shafts before, so that's not an issue per se, though I will have to buy epoxy and ferrules. Presumably though, I can recoup that cost (and then some) by selling the S400 pulls.

Good thing I'm not playing regularly otherwise this would be a total inconvenience instead of a fun project.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 20, 2017

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Just had my first lesson and it makes me wish I had done it a long time ago. I was going to extremes trying to fix/change things on my own and he had some much simpler solutions that worked very well. He also had some good input on me needing a heavier shaft in my driver and tweaking my irons a bit more upright.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

All the way from the UK! Can't wait to try it Sunday.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I can't get over how much that lesson last week has helped me. My instructor had me start rotating my hips earlier with my driver while keeping my head steady behind the ball and it feels like I can swing as hard as I want and still hit it straight, it's awesome. One of my leagues had their end-of-year scramble today and on 17 I drove the green which is a downhill 345 yard hole and I made the eagle putt too. He also had me strengthen my right hand a bit when I hit my other clubs to straighten out the fade I was hitting and it's working great.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Setting up and staying behind the ball has been my focus this summer. Much easier to do correct movements from that position. I have a tendency/natural desire to try to cover the ball so it's a work in progress.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

After a 1 week delay for USPS, the irons finally arrived. Great shape.

Except the shafts are S400, not X100. :negative:

Seller apparently traffics in clubs because they said they had X100 pulls from a set of T-MB's. I've reshafted woods and pulled iron shafts before, so that's not an issue per se, though I will have to buy epoxy and ferrules. Presumably though, I can recoup that cost (and then some) by selling the S400 pulls.

Good thing I'm not playing regularly otherwise this would be a total inconvenience instead of a fun project.

Sounds like quite an ordeal with the update you posted on wrx, that sucks. Do you think he's BSing you about it being his mom's PP account? Seems really odd.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Suprfli6 posted:

Sounds like quite an ordeal with the update you posted on wrx, that sucks. Do you think he's BSing you about it being his mom's PP account? Seems really odd.
I actually only found out when she replied to my Paypal dispute saying it was her son that sold me the irons. This is consistent with email addresses used.

She has become very aggressive in the dispute resolution messages though. "I'm sorry you're unhappy with the purchase but the item is more expensive on Ebay. Return the irons, we can't accommodate you in any other way." This is incorrect on so many levels. I can't believe I'm contemplating keeping them, but I did get a good deal, and they'll still be a good deal after reshafting.

edit: I'm returning the irons.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 26, 2017

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Haven't played golf in a couple months, but I've become super serious about health and fitness. My diet is pristine, I work out regularly, and have even added in yoga. Next time I go to the range I should be carrying the ball 300+. Seriously, do any of you practice a strength and flexibility regiment designed for golf?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Designed for golf? No. But I do serious resistance exercise 5 days a week. I'm an old and it's really, really helpful in my daily life. Problem is, most golf-specific exercises involve shoulder motions that are a no-no for me. People talk about how a golf swing fucks up your back, but for me it's my shoulders. They're a ducking disaster area.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

"ducking" is my favorite autocorrect.

Also yeah not a lot of golf specific exercises but making sure you have good flexibility and rotation helps.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My friend does yoga because he likes to sleep with yoga instructors and it helps his flexibility for golf

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

My friend does yoga because he likes to sleep with yoga instructors and it helps his flexibility for golf
Your friend must be very good looking because sleeping with your female yoga instructor seems... obvious.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Your friend must be very good looking because sleeping with your female yoga instructor seems... obvious.

He didn't specify female in the post. :shrug:

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Has anyone ever bought used clubs from GlobalGolf? Had a 4H and 5I disappear at TopGolf (dumb to even bring clubs in the first place, though they were just Top-Flights from years ago) and I don't play enough to justify buying anything new.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Has anyone ever bought used clubs from GlobalGolf? Had a 4H and 5I disappear at TopGolf (dumb to even bring clubs in the first place, though they were just Top-Flights from years ago) and I don't play enough to justify buying anything new.
I haven't bought from GlobalGolf yet but everything I know about them is that they are legit. I believe they also sell through Ebay, and I've almost bought from them before.

Golf clubs are like cars. There's no need to buy new unless you just really want something shiny or want something with specific customization.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I've bought a few clubs from them, they're legit.

I bought a couple clubs that were "used" in excellent condition that still had the factory plastic on the heads. They'd never been hit and were like 75% off their original price.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
I've just been through a trade in process in time for spring here. Traded in my Titleist 714 CBs for a mkntnset of Ping S56s. Bent thing was the place I went, golf traders, had a GC2 so I got to try out the new to me set. Ended up with the set in blue dot .25 over and the guy who sold me the set said when he fitted Ping he would have put me in that configuration. Great results on the course. Also traded in my epic Sub zero 3 for a M2 High Launch so much more forgiveness with a distance gain. Once again hit against a few different options on the GC2.

I know it's not a full proper fitting but I've seen improvements in both distance and dispersion on the course.

In the end ended up trading in my current irons, utilities, old wedges and fairways. Kept my current driver, wedges and putter and refreshed my bag for about $50 cash. I could have got more selling in eBay but dicking around selling shipping and dickheads means is rather do this then sell for higher price.

So my bag is now:
Big Bertha Alpha 816 10.5
M2 HL
Titleist 716 TMB 4 Iron
Ping s56 5-9 irons
Callaway MD2 47, 50, 54, 58
Ping Sedona I Putter

Super happy with this for the season.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't bought from GlobalGolf yet but everything I know about them is that they are legit. I believe they also sell through Ebay, and I've almost bought from them before.

Golf clubs are like cars. There's no need to buy new unless you just really want something shiny or want something with specific customization.

I'd disagree when it comes to wedges. I see a big difference in spin in My wedges as they age in a way I don't see with other clubs.

Fantastic round today. 940 tee time, but drizzling when I get there at around 910. Check in, I'm the only player on the course, so I go straight to first tee box alone, literally only golfer. Finish 9 in 1:15, at the turn, no on has teed off the front nine yet but me. When I finish 18 there are two foursomes on the front nine. 2 and a half hours. Good front 9 scoring, once I remembered that cold plus slight rain plus soaked fairways equals no where near average distances. Shots into the greens were 1 inch from their marks or actually plugged once. Back nine rain put me into rain gear and apparently I forgot how to hit a ball off the tee. Still, decent scoring, and never waited on a shot beyond my own prep.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

I'd disagree when it comes to wedges. I see a big difference in spin in My wedges as they age in a way I don't see with other clubs.
Agreed but that should go without saying. Wedges wear out like car tires and need to be replaced with regular use.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

If you don't hit many bunker shots or practice/play on sandy turf, wedges don't wear out that quickly. I use my 58 degree a ton because of how short my home course is and how much I play, and my SM5 was still fine after over a hundred rounds.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've been using my 54 and 58 lob wedges as sand wedges since I got them in like 2010 and they're still spinning the ball fairly well. They're definitely wearing though.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Agreed but that should go without saying. Wedges wear out like car tires and need to be replaced with regular use.

Speaking of wedges, anyone here selling any of their old wedges? Bought a couple from DoctaFun a few years ago (that I still use) but my 52* is so pitted and worn it makes Rocky Dennis look normal.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Josh Lyman, we getting a Presidents Cup thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Josh Lyman, we getting a Presidents Cup thread?
Just lol if you watch this year's President's Cup. It's gonna be a drubbing, could even be 20-10.