Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Daric posted:

Played for the first time since October today. We played High Meadow Ranch here in Houston. Range was closed, practice green was closed, and I hadn’t swung a club since hitting off my mat in January.

First 3 holes I was a little rough but then I got warmed up and really crushed it the rest of the way. There’s no better feeling than stringing a few good shots together on a Par 5. I didn’t make anything worse than bogey the rest of the day. Great course and it was in excellent shape.

I went out this morning, walking with a mask on wore me out and I did poorly; but I parred [pared?] two par 5s in a row. This game makes no sense some times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

I went out this morning, walking with a mask on wore me out and I did poorly; but I parred [pared?] two par 5s in a row. This game makes no sense some times.

Just curious as to why you were wearing a mask if you were walking and presumably not near anyone?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

Just curious as to why you were wearing a mask if you were walking and presumably not near anyone?

The course was packed, and i was in a foursome with 3 old dudes [nice]

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

No, I wasn’t planning on doing that, I just wanted to know if a set of men’s clubs can be properly fit to a height-challenged woman.

There’s one full-service club fitter in town, and they’re very bad at what they do, so they’re not an option. The club we play at will fit you, but only for a very limited number of brands. Like, three. So, if we get her fitted for, say, Ping, will we then get like a data sheet showing her best shaft length, lie angle, etc? Something that will translate to a different brand of club?
Ping has some really extensive custom fitting options. They have a solid presence on the LPGA tour so I'm sure they could fit your 5'2 friend.

With a shorter person, the main adjustments are flattening the lie and maybe shortening length, the latter of which will lower swingweight but that's not necessarily a problem.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

The course was packed, and i was in a foursome with 3 old dudes [nice]

Fair enough.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Ping has some really extensive custom fitting options. They have a solid presence on the LPGA tour so I'm sure they could fit your 5'2 friend.

With a shorter person, the main adjustments are flattening the lie and maybe shortening length, the latter of which will lower swingweight but that's not necessarily a problem.

Yeah Ping's clubs are fantastic and their fitting process is great. I really wouldn't worry about a "full set" from them as if it's some starter set from Dicks or whatever.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

ElGroucho posted:

..if my wife golfed...I'd probably spend more money on her clubs than me...

This is absolutely what is going to happen.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

THE OPEN* IS TODAY

quote:

European Tour
2017 Andalucia Masters
3rd Round (10/21/2017) — Golf Channel, 6 a.m.
Final Round (10/22/2017) — Golf Channel, 6 a.m. (Friday)

PGA Tour
2014 Northern Trust Open
Final Round (08/24/2014) — CBS Sports Network, 10 a.m.

PGA Tour
2003 Heritage Classic
Final Round (04/20/2003) — CBS Sports Network, 11 a.m.

2018 The Open
Final Round (07/22/2018) — Golf Channel, 11 a.m.

PGA Tour
2017 Wells Fargo Championship
Final Round (05/07/2017) — Golf Channel, 2 p.m.

LPGA Tour
2019 LPGA Mediheal Championship
3rd Round (05/04/2019) — Golf Channel, 7 p.m.

*from a couple years ago

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Finally! Golf courses are reopening as of this Saturday in NJ. Lots of restrictions but I'm totally fine playing 9 or 18 alone or with one other person as long as we don't share a cart.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Douchebag posted:

Finally! Golf courses are reopening as of this Saturday in NJ. Lots of restrictions but I'm totally fine playing 9 or 18 alone or with one other person as long as we don't share a cart.

The weather is supposed to be fantastic this weekend too, it's going to be a madhouse.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

The weather is supposed to be fantastic this weekend too, it's going to be a madhouse.

Yeah I’ll probably wait for a twilight next week instead of the insanity of this weekend.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Did a twilight 9 hole at a semi popular local course in Colorado and it was packed. Almost no parking. Thankfully after you get off the first tee its pretty easy to keep distance.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I'm heading to play a round today at a much cheaper course than last weekend so we'll see what the traffic is like. Still no ability to use the driving range or putting green pre-round so we'll see how that goes.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
dunno if this is the right thread but what are some good online resources on technique

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

barkbell posted:

dunno if this is the right thread but what are some good online resources on technique

On YouTube, I really like Rick Shiels's early videos, those + Harvey Pennicks book helped me get rid of my slice. I also like Mr. Short Game's channel, and there's this younger dude named Saguto golf that I'm digging now.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If you're willing to pay for it, George Gankas's website has more than you will ever need. I think there's 47 videos on the grip.

https://georgegankas.golf/

I've started looking for memberships here in Houston as my fiancee likes to play Tennis and I want to play golf. I want to be able to head to the course after 4pm on a weekday and play 5-6 holes without feeling bad about not playing a full round. I've been emailing around to different courses but haven't gotten any responses yet but it's looking like Windrose may be my best option depending on what the ClubCorp courses come back with.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i took some lessons almost 20 years ago and i still have the same cheap rear end clubs i had then. im just looking to not 5 putt things in between sips of beer

ty for reccs

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

barkbell posted:

i took some lessons almost 20 years ago and i still have the same cheap rear end clubs i had then. im just looking to not 5 putt things in between sips of beer

ty for reccs

Scratch Golf Academy is ok if you're looking for a specific thing to correct/change. Nothing special, but just generic club pro golf swing stuff.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Played for the first time in a long time today. No range balls, just going out cold.

Front 9: I was about +3, way above where I normally am. Had the best iron shot of my life, 163 out with a tree in the way. Hit the ball perfectly, cleared the tree by about 2 feet and hit the green.

The back 9... we aren't going to talk about my back 9 :(

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I played my best 9 ever on Friday with a 51. I’m pretty happy with that for having started playing in August. Definitely need more short game practice, but rocketing off 4 irons for what feels like forever is much more fun.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ripped a hole in my glove today, what brand of glove should i get goons? what does callaway say about you as a golfer vs taylormade. it is very important to me that the brand says the correct things about me on the course ty

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

barkbell posted:

ripped a hole in my glove today, what brand of glove should i get goons? what does callaway say about you as a golfer vs taylormade. it is very important to me that the brand says the correct things about me on the course ty

No glove.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

barkbell posted:

My friend you need the power glove because u want to play with power

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

No glove.

Switched to no glove last year. I regripped to those Wynn Dry-Tac grips and I felt no glove was much more comfortable overall. Did nothing to improve my game at all but it did improve my comfort level.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Is there anything worse than showing up to a nice course and seeing mats out on the driving range. Ugh, I absolutely cannot stand warming up off of mats and it takes me 3-4 holes to finally get back in sync after using them. Played one of the nicer resort courses in the area yesterday, normally a $80-100 course got a deal for $55 and bam, mats on the driving range :(
Biggest disappointment was playing Bay Hill last year and seeing mats on the driving range!

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

mattfl posted:

Is there anything worse than showing up to a nice course and seeing mats out on the driving range. Ugh, I absolutely cannot stand warming up off of mats and it takes me 3-4 holes to finally get back in sync after using them. Played one of the nicer resort courses in the area yesterday, normally a $80-100 course got a deal for $55 and bam, mats on the driving range :(
Biggest disappointment was playing Bay Hill last year and seeing mats on the driving range!

Yeah, it's not ideal. I played a course on Saturday, they didn't even have a range, just some mats and a net. So I'm thinking, hell yeah, my shots are on lock today.

Nope! Straight for the first 30 yards and then a nice big banana ball. I guess I can't complain, it's a very cheap course.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Douchebag posted:

Switched to no glove last year. I regripped to those Wynn Dry-Tac grips and I felt no glove was much more comfortable overall. Did nothing to improve my game at all but it did improve my comfort level.

Yeah, it's definitely not a performance advantage. For me, my hand sweats and it's uncomfortable. Plus, taking it off for putting is always a mess because taking a glove on and off a sweaty hand to putt is a pain.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

Enjoy your Florida bubble where you're allowed to even use practice areas.

Up here no warmup areas are open, they recommend you show up 10 minutes before your tee time or wait in your car until 10 minutes before your tee time.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

DJExile posted:

My friend you need the power glove because u want to play with power

u r right as heck

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I managed to snag one of the pre open Sheep Ranch tee times today as the final round of my Bandon Dunes trip in a couple weeks. So loving stoked.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
https://pgatour.2k.com/

From the dudes who made The Golf Club, more details on the 14th...

Really been wanting a good golf game on the Switch (Golf Story owned but the golf mechanics are poo poo). Looks dece.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mcqueen posted:

https://pgatour.2k.com/

From the dudes who made The Golf Club, more details on the 14th...

Really been wanting a good golf game on the Switch (Golf Story owned but the golf mechanics are poo poo). Looks dece.

The Golf Club is so loving frustrating. How is chipping the hardest part of the game?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

The Golf Club is so loving frustrating. How is chipping the hardest part of the game?

Sounds pretty realistic to me.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

Sounds pretty realistic to me.

Pull the stick all the way back, chipping with a lob wedge: ball carries 10 yds rolls 20 more

Pull the stick back 90%: power meter 60%, ball carries 2 yds, 3 inches of roll

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
I've found that it's more about the timing rather than the distance you pull the stick back in that game. Much more about waiting for the animation to go the correct distance, then getting good speed on the downswing.

I just wish that the more lofted clubs could hold the green slightly better. Sometimes they bounce like a five iron, even on an uphill slope.

Keen for their new game though, the amount of LIDAR customs that are in 2019 so far is incredible.

spamman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 7, 2020

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

37 degrees, feels like 28, 24mph winds. But there's nobody around except my 12 foot circle of my threesome.

It will be a good day, but it's gonna be a terrible day.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

82 degrees, slight wind, maybe 5-10 mph, course was pretty full but still managed a nice 4 hour round oh and this score! Pretty excellent loving day

One or two less putts and it would've been an even better day! Left 3-4 birdie putts short :(

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
golfshot or the grint?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

barkbell posted:

golfshot or the grint?

Golfshot. Been using it for years and even signed up for the handicap tracking with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rotten Cookies posted:

37 degrees, feels like 28, 24mph winds. But there's nobody around except my 12 foot circle of my threesome.

It will be a good day, but it's gonna be a terrible day.

It was terribly cold, got windburn on my hands, the course was very soggy, first round of the year, and we even got TWO snow squalls. So my playing partners and I did horrendous. It was a great time. Course was basically empty.

Even without the weather conditions, I'm not a very good player. I didn't keep score for very long on this one because I can only look at so many 7s and 8s before getting demoralized. I did get a few bogeys which are great for me. At one point I stopped trying to chip because I was just broken. I was doing anything I could to not use a wedge, but I was enjoying putting with a 5 wood when I was like 20 ft from the fringe.

On the positives, I was strangely doing well hitting driver and strong irons. And I sank some long putts and left myself tap ins on other long putts, so that felt great.