Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Sub 70 is a good brand as well, they'll send you a demo 6 and 9 iron that you can try out and then send back to them. They let you pick all the individual pieces too. I just got a 3 hybrid from them that I love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Look at the new Taylormade game improvement irons. Getting good reviews.

Thanks. One thing I don't understand is that why so many people don't like the game improvement oversize irons (outside of looks.) Is this just an Ego thing or is there some reason not to play a game improvement iron?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there a recommended cheaper ball for a mid handicap high swing speed? I'm not good enough to spend 4 bucks a ball (I average a lost ball per 18, sometimes 2-3 if it's a lovely day), but I'd like to find a ball that I can stick to for a year or two until I'm slightly better. I'm thinking the Costco ball may be a good option? The problem I'm running into now is the current ball in using, Srixon Marathon, is getting way too scuffed up after just 5-6 holes that it's causing my putting to suffer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Thanks. One thing I don't understand is that why so many people don't like the game improvement oversize irons (outside of looks.) Is this just an Ego thing or is there some reason not to play a game improvement iron?

Ego thing is a huge part of it. Supposedly blades are a little less forgiving but allow for more shaping on shots but that could be marketing bullshit as well.

Kirios posted:

Is there a recommended cheaper ball for a mid handicap high swing speed? I'm not good enough to spend 4 bucks a ball (I average a lost ball per 18, sometimes 2-3 if it's a lovely day), but I'd like to find a ball that I can stick to for a year or two until I'm slightly better. I'm thinking the Costco ball may be a good option? The problem I'm running into now is the current ball in using, Srixon Marathon, is getting way too scuffed up after just 5-6 holes that it's causing my putting to suffer.

Dicks has the Calaway Diablo Tour balls at 2 dozen for $40 and they are fantastic 3-piece balls for the price. Last a long time too.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

daslog posted:

yeah I'm done with it. pretty sure my next irons are going to be the biggest, ugliest, most forgiving hybrids I can find

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

Buy good balls used, or online urethane 3 piece. Kirkland's are also good and a great price. They'll perform better and you can keep the price down.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm an 11 handicap and could give a drat less if cavity-backs are right or not for me because holy poo poo when I get that just right THWACK sound on a mid range iron and pop it up high and straight, knowing it's going to sit right down when it lands, that is something very close to what I imagine heroin feels like.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

I'm an 11 handicap and could give a drat less if cavity-backs are right or not for me because holy poo poo when I get that just right THWACK sound on a mid range iron and pop it up high and straight, knowing it's going to sit right down when it lands, that is something very close to what I imagine heroin feels like.

I started hitting the ball consistently, thought I'd go to better player irons. At my fitting, though, I was just so drat good with the Cobra CG7 improvement irons, I just put the ego down and did what the fitter said. And my score improved immediately, and then dropped hard as I just leaned into the idea that the irons went the expected distance.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I lost my Bushnell Phantom (think I left in a cart) so I picked up a Garmin Approach S20 which should be pretty hard to lose given that it's attached to my wrist. I really like the tracking system it has. It works very similar to the Arccos sensors tracking all of your shots and then giving you a map.

Also, this hole drives me nuts. I can't hit my 3 wood to save my life so I'm stuck laying up on my second shot every time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Daric posted:

I lost my Bushnell Phantom (think I left in a cart) so I picked up a Garmin Approach S20 which should be pretty hard to lose given that it's attached to my wrist. I really like the tracking system it has. It works very similar to the Arccos sensors tracking all of your shots and then giving you a map.

Also, this hole drives me nuts. I can't hit my 3 wood to save my life so I'm stuck laying up on my second shot every time.

Timely post, as I am looking at buying a watch this year. How does it know what clubs you hit? Does it handle Shanks?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

Timely post, as I am looking at buying a watch this year. How does it know what clubs you hit? Does it handle Shanks?

I use the Shotscope V3, and it uses the tags you screw into the grips of the clubs. The GPS is great, and the stats/round data is very similar to the pics posted above.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Daric posted:

If it makes you feel any better, that looks like a really demanding 2nd shot. Is it like 220 forced carry over water? Anything that leaks right is dead. Which for a righty is a pretty common ‘miss’ for a 3 wood off the fairway.

I do know what you mean though, you crank a drive 300+ in the fairway on a par 5, in your mind you should have a shot at getting there in 2.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah, if you hit it 300 yards, it's about 250 to cover the water to a slightly uphill green. Just a ridiculous shot. 18 is very similar:

daslog posted:

There's sensors you can get so it will automatically tell what club you're hitting or you can just add it manually which is what I do. I don't have a good option yet for handling mishits or other random stuff like when I use my 8 iron to punch out of the woods. Now that I think about it, I bet you can add clubs, so maybe you could add a Mishit and a Punch Out club.

Daric fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 1, 2021

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
That second shot looks like a 100% sucker shot if you go for it in 2 or are just a good enough player to hit it on in 2 from 240 out consistently. I'm pretty locked in with my 3 hybrid from that distance but I'd lay up on most days on that hole. Too much risk around the green and quite a long forced carry.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Daric posted:

Yeah, if you hit it 300 yards, it's about 250 to cover the water to a slightly uphill green. Just a ridiculous shot. 18 is very similar:

Alright, yeah, if 18 plays the exact same way, then I’d be annoyed too. Here’s my five minute worth of thought way to make that first one a more interesting hole.

Make it a par 4!

1. Move the tee boxes up to the right of the fairway(knocking down a bunch of trees in the process) so that longer hitters from some sets of tees have the option to go for the green. Make it so it’s pretty tempting to go for it, but ensure it’s not an easy up and down from over the green. Maybe put a bunker there, or deep collection area or something.

2. Continue the fairway around to the left of the water, giving players the option of still hitting driver/3 wood off the tee.

3. Guard the left side of the fairway with a couple bunkers so players can’t just mindless bail out to the left.

4. Reshape the green to be a more receptive angle the further people hit it off the tee. Like , the further down the fairway you are, the better angle and shape the green has. Note that this means you’d have a bad angle from the tee.

It’s of course a ludicrous suggestion, but I’m with you man, those two par fives look like they play the exact same way every round. In pretty much no circumstances am I going for the green in two with a 230+ forced carry. elevated green with bunkers around it? Sure. Water surrounding 50% of the green? No friggin way.

I made a little markup / mock-up to show my idea but I can’t figure out Imgur on my phone, so you’ll have to just imagine it in your head.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I did a thing...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yooooooooooooooooo :radcat:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

yooooooooooooooooo :radcat:

Playing in a 4 man scramble this weekend to break it in too!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
That’s sick looking, good luck!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Now that winter (and my slammed season at work) is coming to an end here in New England I'm thinking of going in for an iron fitting.

Last summer/fall, I did a few different fittings, and tried a few different kinds of clubs out, at a few different shops. My best experience was at Joe & Leigh's in Easton MA, with a specific guy who ended up selling me a driver that I like a lot.

My plan is to go back there and try some of the Ping irons. My question, I guess, is does it make sense to do this now, or should I wait? Here are two things on my mind:

— whether it makes sense to get back into my swing after 3+ months of no golf (driving range or elsewhere)
— whether there is any particular golf equipment calendar I should be aware of in terms of prices/stock

I remember that last year you could barely get any golf equipment anywhere. It looks like Ping maybe released a new set of irons or two since last fall. I liked the G410s when I tried them, but could also take a look at the last gen; the biggest issue for me seems to be shaft (it was night and day, when this guy at Joe & Leigh's focused me on a different shaft than any other fitters I'd been to).

e: also — for those recommending the Kirkland golf ball, how/what does it do in terms of spin reduction? The best ball I've found for my swing is the Callaway Superhot Matte, because it seems to reduce my slice on mishits, but also stick to the green better than the Top Flite Long Bomb or other pure distance balls. But poo poo's expensive.

Petey fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 4, 2021

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Petey posted:

Now that winter (and my slammed season at work) is coming to an end here in New England I'm thinking of going in for an iron fitting.

Last summer/fall, I did a few different fittings, and tried a few different kinds of clubs out, at a few different shops. My best experience was at Joe & Leigh's in Easton MA, with a specific guy who ended up selling me a driver that I like a lot.

My plan is to go back there and try some of the Ping irons. My question, I guess, is does it make sense to do this now, or should I wait? Here are two things on my mind:

— whether it makes sense to get back into my swing after 3+ months of no golf (driving range or elsewhere)
— whether there is any particular golf equipment calendar I should be aware of in terms of prices/stock

I remember that last year you could barely get any golf equipment anywhere. It looks like Ping maybe released a new set of irons or two since last fall. I liked the G410s when I tried them, but could also take a look at the last gen; the biggest issue for me seems to be shaft (it was night and day, when this guy at Joe & Leigh's focused me on a different shaft than any other fitters I'd been to).

e: also — for those recommending the Kirkland golf ball, how/what does it do in terms of spin reduction? The best ball I've found for my swing is the Callaway Superhot Matte, because it seems to reduce my slice on mishits, but also stick to the green better than the Top Flite Long Bomb or other pure distance balls. But poo poo's expensive.

https://www.lostgolfballs.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Calloway+superboy+matte

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I need to try some of those out :)

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
For those of us in Houston (may be just me and Kameh) Lost Golf Balls is based in Sugarland. Every time I've ordered something from them it's shown up the next day even with free shipping.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Daric posted:

For those of us in Houston (may be just me and Kameh) Lost Golf Balls is based in Sugarland. Every time I've ordered something from them it's shown up the next day even with free shipping.

In a similar vein to this, for anyone in the Northeast, Dicks Sporting Goods has been a 1 day turnaround with their standard free shipping for me the last few times I've ordered from them. The two warehouses I've seen them ship from are in Maryland and Binghamton, NY(makes sense, that's where they were founded). This has only been for apparel/balls/etc. Clubs tend to be a different story because they're often sourced from the manufacturer after order so your Cobra stuff is coming from SoCal and so on.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Colorado golf. Teed off at 8, first tee time, temp 41. On 12, it was 37 and sprinkling rain with wind at about 10 mph. On my drive home, the roads were a mixture of freezing rain and snow, three separate accidents in a twenty mile drive.

Oh, and I have a 9:40 tee time tomorrow.

https://youtu.be/_cACy3k88sU

940 tee time pushed to 1015. The wettest course conditions I've ever played in. My first casual water shot (2d shot on number 1) I ended up 20 yards back and into the rough to get partial relief. Played no approach that wasn't in water. Every shot around the green was made with my putter...including one shot from 30 yards. My confidence in chipping from a soggy lie is normally low, this was extraordinary.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 6, 2021

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Holy gently caress Speith just hit a hole in one!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

mattfl posted:

Holy gently caress Speith just hit a hole in one!

Then yanked one into the water, hit 3 to 30 feet and buried it for par. Meanwhile Rosey playing with him makes a 9? What a day of golf in the last 30 minutes.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Rose just withdrew

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/apinv/status/1368267921038966784?s=21

Anno
May 10, 2017

Playing by yourself in contention sounds pretty awful. Someone get Jeff Knox on a plane, he can make it for the back 9.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat that was a beauty

Anno
May 10, 2017

Through 7 holes we have 1 ace, 1 fairway, 1 water ball and 1 hole out from the sand to shoot -4. Max Spieth is the most entertaining golf can get now if Tiger’s really done.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anno posted:

Playing by yourself in contention sounds pretty awful. Someone get Jeff Knox on a plane, he can make it for the back 9.

I could be there in 30 minutes, I play fast and wouldn’t talk much lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1368309625871859722

lmao jesus christ

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What's the feeling to convey when I hate and also love everything about that?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Shrapnig posted:

Ich hasse und liebe alles daran? It's always better in German?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

Bryson can be annoying, but he went against all the conventional wisdom and built his swing his way and he's driving the golf traditionalist nuts. I love it.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
He also did lots and lots of roids

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

He just cut it off again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Please ban the dipshit "patrons" again. :argh: