Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Petey posted:

I think the theory is that — with one length irons, you should in principle have a more repeatable swing, which should lead to fewer errors. Especially with his clubs and how upright they are, he can go for a single plane. But we'll have to see if it proves out.

I've been using the Cobra one-length irons for about a year and a half, and the biggest advantage (for me) isn't necessarily one swing plane for 8 or 9 of your clubs, it's the control and reliability you get with the medium and long irons. My 4I is now as reliable and straight as my PW. THAT SAID...when I replace these I'm probably going with standard-length for GW-7 and one-length for 6-4. You absolutely do lose accuracy with the one-length GW/PW/9I.

BY THE WAY. I just switched from bargain balls to Pro V1s after a couple of rounds with them at a local Par-3 (I'm transitioning from 'terrible golfer' to 'competent golfer'). They land like tar balls. I've been sticking way more greens. My old ball was the Wilson Staff 50 Elite, for about $1.10/ball. Very capable, very inexpensive, but I don't lose 3-4 balls a round any more, so it's time to grow up, I guess. Loss of distance off the tee should be negligible. Anybody have any insight into the meaningful differences between Pro V1 and TP5 (if any)? I'll be trying those out this week.

edit: Oh hey, also: what's the real diff between Pro V1/TP5 and Pro V1x/TP5x? Everything I see online is either marketing gobbledegook or conflicting.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Super stoked as I got an invite to play Lake Nona this Sunday. Nona is one of the courses they used to hold the Tavistock Cup at. Annika, Poulter, Rose and a few other big name pros have houses/memberships there. Here’s hoping I don’t embarrass myself lol.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Lincoln posted:

I've been using the Cobra one-length irons for about a year and a half, and the biggest advantage (for me) isn't necessarily one swing plane for 8 or 9 of your clubs, it's the control and reliability you get with the medium and long irons. My 4I is now as reliable and straight as my PW. THAT SAID...when I replace these I'm probably going with standard-length for GW-7 and one-length for 6-4. You absolutely do lose accuracy with the one-length GW/PW/9I.

BY THE WAY. I just switched from bargain balls to Pro V1s after a couple of rounds with them at a local Par-3 (I'm transitioning from 'terrible golfer' to 'competent golfer'). They land like tar balls. I've been sticking way more greens. My old ball was the Wilson Staff 50 Elite, for about $1.10/ball. Very capable, very inexpensive, but I don't lose 3-4 balls a round any more, so it's time to grow up, I guess. Loss of distance off the tee should be negligible. Anybody have any insight into the meaningful differences between Pro V1 and TP5 (if any)? I'll be trying those out this week.

edit: Oh hey, also: what's the real diff between Pro V1/TP5 and Pro V1x/TP5x? Everything I see online is either marketing gobbledegook or conflicting.

Pro V1 is softer, flies slightly lower, and spins less than the V1x which is slightly firmer, flies higher, and spins more.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Managed to pick up a Garmin Approach R10 the other day. Now I just need to find a decent mat that will let me simulate taking a divot. Last thing I want to do is slam my club into the concrete.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Jovial Cow posted:

Pro V1 is softer, flies slightly lower, and spins less than the V1x which is slightly firmer, flies higher, and spins more.
tp5x's, on the other hand, spin less than normal tp5's

just to make things confusing

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

It used to be that Pro V1x was lower spinning in the long game than Pro V1 and TaylorMade followed Titleist's naming convention, but in recent years the Pro V1x has become higher spinning all around, probably due to drivers becoming lower spinning, so Titleist has introduced the Pro V1x Left Dash.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Phil, I'm sorry I ever doubted you and listened to my dad. What is it with this dude and drivers off the deck lately? :suspense:

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
My coach is taking me to a beautiful local course to play nine holes as a surprise. I just booked another set of lessons with him and he messaged me back to say he had a freebie slot and would I like it because (and I quote) "you don't dick about and it will be a great experience"

Yes! Yeeees. Christ it's £100 to play here and you need a member to book you in

Now I'm nervous.

I'm also going to try a 4/5/6 to see if I prefer them to my hybrid.

I've a feeling that come Black Friday I'm going to buy a golf watch. Or maybe a range finder. Or both. Because technology will automagically improve my game just by existing.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
I bought a $50 wosports rangefinder from Amazon and it seems to work, was pulling the same distances as some friends fancier non-alibaba special models. Doesn’t have slope but at least I won’t accidentally eliminate myself in all the tourneys I don’t play

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there any general good advice for someone who reliably hits ~1 inch behind the ball? I still get mostly good shots but I'm robbing myself of distance that I'd love to have.

Actually come to think of it I wonder if just putting more weight on my front foot on address will help. I assume I'm slightly swaying myself back on my backswing.

Kirios fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 17, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
My miss is usually topping the ball, but I find that taking practice swings going back and forth and making sure I'm consistently grazing the ground where the ball would be in both directions helps me a lot

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played a round today with the greatest golfer in the world...last week. Every hole, he really played it great, last week. Almost holed out, putted much better, hit all the fairways. It must have been something to see.

I'd say he shot somewhere near 90 today, likely recorded in the high 70s, low 80s. His big mistake was hitting it "too pure". "Trying to lay up and hit it (2 iron) 290!" Lost at least three balls off the tee, but recorded birdie, par, par on those three holes. Dude had monster length, and a pretty regular fade, but not particularly consistent.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

We’ve all played with that same guy six times. It’s exhausting.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I've completed adding courses from all over the country to that tee visualization tool I asked for feedback on a few pages back. It should be useable in most areas of the United States now. There's actually a lot more courses in the country than I expected. I've been able to find about 15,000 total courses and I estimate around 5,000 advertise their tee sheets publicly. I've added about half of those so still a lot more to go but it's already quite usable in most areas.

I've also added the ability to drill down and see more information about the specific tee times in the graph are

I've been using it every week to find my own tee times so let me know if you've got any ideas about more functionality or if something looks off - https://teewatch.com

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Very cool

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
My son is turning 5 and now he's asking to learn golf. Any recommendations in this situation? Are those single kids US Golf clubs good to try or should i build a club from an old set? Are those kids golf classes where they hit tennis balls and stuff any good? Anyway golf rules and I am very much looking forward to being able to play at the short course with my boys.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Infomaniac posted:

My son is turning 5 and now he's asking to learn golf. Any recommendations in this situation? Are those single kids US Golf clubs good to try or should i build a club from an old set? Are those kids golf classes where they hit tennis balls and stuff any good? Anyway golf rules and I am very much looking forward to being able to play at the short course with my boys.

Unless money is truly a limiting factor, ask your local pro about kids sized clubs. There's likely a set he could use for three or four years, and if he is really enthused, don't screw him with equipment that will be frustrating.

On my own note today:. One, watching players who are bad putters putt the ball twenty feet past the pin from twenty-five feet away has a surprising impact on my own speed. I left a couple of first putts really short after they clobbered the ball.

But, birdied one with a great approach. Lipped birdie putt out on two. Then, three putted two holes in a row after the gorilla putts of fellow players. Bogied five for three bogeys in a row. 6, 7, fairway/green/two putt pars. Phone call: you have to come pick up your son at school in an hour. Fine, I'm 30 minutes away, figure I can play out the front nine. Jokingly tell the others I need to have a hole in one on 8 to make sure I can be on time. Hit to 12 inches. Fairway/green/two putt 9 and walk to the car one over, playing great and loving pissed.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

Infomaniac posted:

I vividly remember building a kids set from the old Golfsmith catalog with my dad when I was like 10, and it was a rad project. I got to help build my own set of clubs so I felt super attached to them, and I learned the basics of cutting shafts and putting grips on. I wasn't even that much of a "loves to build poo poo" kind of kid but I have a lot of nostalgia around that experience.

But US Kids is probably a better place to start for a single club at that age. You can get one of the single training clubs for like 50 bucks. It's good quality stuff for the price and effort. ebay might be a good option for this kind of stuff too since kids equipment get outgrown quickly. Your son is more likely to get the ball in the air and have fun with an ultralight club than something you build from an old heavy club.

e: +1 to torgeaux's advice to ask your local pro.

For classes, I'd recommend looking into whatever your closest public golf course offers and programs your state golf association partners with. But you can't really go wrong. At that age it should just be about having fun with other kids at a golf course, practicing general athleticism, and learning to swing fast. If he gets the golf bug and wants to get into it competitively, look into PGA Jr League (basically Little League for golf) and some private lessons.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

When he is 7, check out The First Tee, really good program that's much more than golf.

As for lessons, a course local to me had a former LPGA pro as the local pro and she specialized in youth lessons and such, my son loved her when he was taking lessons at 8. See if you can find someone like that.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!
Another option along with first tee is a junior pga program (they do lessons along with matches). Usually, the matches are parent supervised and geared towards having fun rather (as in a fairway shot goes 2 yards? Just hit it again, don't worry about the stroke).

We managed to find two sets of some barely used US kids clubs for about $25 and $40 I think. One was a small junior set and the other was the next size up. I was surprised we found some used clubs because my son is a lefty so I was excited.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Thanks, everyone for the good feedback and suggestions for the kid getting started. I really appreciate it.:thanks:

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Infomaniac posted:

Thanks, everyone for the good feedback and suggestions for the kid getting started. I really appreciate it.:thanks:

The joy and excitement your kid will display while playing golf with you is really fun and super infectious. In my area, below 10 years of age gets to play for free.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
Had my first round with wet, rainy, and below 60F conditions yesterday afternoon (7th full 18 ever). Noticed that I'm getting consistency going, and its easier to pick which club to use when. I learned greens play so very differently when wet though, but I also hadn't practiced my putting recently. Out drove someone in my group for the first time ever too, which was amusing to me and confounding to them lol. Still needing to work on my hesitancy on striking and really hitting the ground vs hitting off of a driving mat. Might be worth the drive and the higher cost to go to the only driving range near me that has a grass hitting section.

Overall, golf when it is cool enough that you don't sweat but not cold enough to wear a jacket is pretty great even if you get rained on a bit. A+ would golf again

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Welp, just booked my first ever golf trip with 3 friends.

Staying at Pinehurst in May and playing

Wed - 7
Thurs - 2!!!
Fri - 6 and 9
Sat - 4

Can't loving wait.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Nice dude. You're going to have a blast.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pro click https://www.instagram.com/p/CV-lEWsMokJ/?utm_medium=copy_link

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
/\ this is sick.

Friends, the thread title has paid huge dividends this year. I started at a 18.9 this year and have finally hit 17.6. Less lovely...slightly. I'm going on a trip with the boys to Arizona next late this month and I'll expect that number to go to the moon.

Also, cracked my TS3's face by a friend slamming his trunk on it. He bought me a Cobra Speedzone as a replacement. I'll be able to test it once before leaving for the trip...fantastic.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Got fitted for new irons and a driver - I came back to play after 13 years break (I'm 31) using my old clubs. Was finding I was hitting a lot of pretty bad fades with my irons, and I was mucking around with my swing trying to get everything just right.

The guy looks at three swings, hands me an extra stiff shaft and tells me to hit it normally. I hit a 7 iron 195 yards and it was the sweetest feeling shot I've ever hit in my life. Played around with a bunch of irons and the swings were just effortless, it was insane. Picked out Srixon zx5 irons as they felt the nicest off the club and gives me some room to control when I improve a bit.

Then he gives me a driver with a stiff shaft, Titleist. I swing normally, maybe slightly faster than I normally would - carries 290 yards straight up the middle.

It turns out my clubhead speed is super fast and this whole time I've been playing with reg shafts, so as I swing the clubhead is literally behind my hands and it causes a constant fade.

Out of curiosity, I went to the range afterwards with my current clubs to test the theory, and sure enough, all I did was slow down my swing and every shot was perfectly straight, drivers, irons, whatever.

edit; of course when swinging slower I lost probably 10 meters at least so there's the tradeoff

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

I'm looking for places to promote/talk about this TeeWatch tool I've been working on. I'm really trying to build some momentum around it and get some users. So far I've got GolfWRX and /r/golf, which I've made a post on and am trying not to spam too hard. These are just the places I know of that I read sometimes, I assume there are other places that might be interested. Anyone got any ideas?

And here's a progress pic. I have really cleaned up my data intake and can now reliably filter player counts on tee times. I'm also gathering A LOT more data so I should be able to implement some useful new views like a weekly output which I think would be very useful when you have a few different days you could play on in a given week.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Something I’ve always wondered: When people golf in the winter in places where it’s cold, what do they do? Just show up and play? Most courses around me are closed for the year.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You play at courses that are open, obviously…

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

RCarr posted:

obviously…

🤔

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I personally built a home simulator setup in my garage because gently caress golfing in the winter in the PNW. Especially a La Nina winter.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Summit posted:

Something I’ve always wondered: When people golf in the winter in places where it’s cold, what do they do? Just show up and play? Most courses around me are closed for the year.

Nearly all courses in New Jersey are open year-round if the weather permits.

We don't really get sustained winter weather though so snow, when we do get it, is consistently melting and clearing from courses.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Soliciting opinions, as I got new irons and figured it's time to upgrade the rest of my stuff...

Cart bag, or stand bag? And how important is full-length dividers (which seems hard to find in a stand bag)?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I got a cheaper but new Cleveland stand bag and I love it. I don't think it has full length dividers, but it's only once in a while that I find it an issue, usually when I was lazy and off center putting the club back. I prefer walking when golfing tbh, so I didn't want a cart bag. Although, the fancy new pushcarts do look pretty nice..

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Get a puchcart, there's literally no downside to getting one.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I've been languishing in bad ball strike hell for a while, sure that I was doomed to never hot a ball again. Stood a little more upright, and we're back in business.

This game is some higher level torture sometimes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Koepka has finally signed an equipment deal after 5 years of playing whatever he wanted and interestingly it's with Cleveland/Srixon.

Other notable Cleveland/Srixon staffers are Matsuyama, and um, Mark Crossfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Shrapnig posted:

Koepka has finally signed an equipment deal after 5 years of playing whatever he wanted and interestingly it's with Cleveland/Srixon.

Other notable Cleveland/Srixon staffers are Matsuyama, and um, Mark Crossfield.

How dare you leave out Grame McDowell and Shane Lowry.