Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I went from 15 year old clubs to brand new everything except wedges just recently and it didn't take any strokes off my game, it gave me a little more distance on everything but the clubs just simply feel 200% nicer. It's hard to describe but hitting even a slightly toey iron feels better than striping one of my old clubs. Piping a drive with the new club feels and sounds better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I think it's weirder when I look at people's bags and they have a callaway 5 and 7 iron, callaway 6 and pw, titliest for the rest of the irons, 2 ping eye 2 wedges and an original SM vokey with the illegal grooves. I have to have uniformity in my bag or I'd probably lose a shot or two each round thinking about it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

xsf421 posted:

I will also always make fun of my dad for doing one brand all the way through his bag, including the brand name on the bag. I don't care of anyone else does it, but his ego needs to be kept in check.

My buddy's bag is like this. Extra bad is that his bag and pushcart are also color-matched to his black and neon green Callaway Epic driver cover.

He looks like such a doofus, luckily for him he's actually a decent golfer.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Capco posted:

I think it's weirder when I look at people's bags and they have a callaway 5 and 7 iron, callaway 6 and pw, titliest for the rest of the irons, 2 ping eye 2 wedges and an original SM vokey with the illegal grooves. I have to have uniformity in my bag or I'd probably lose a shot or two each round thinking about it.

You'd hate my bag then :sun:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

My buddy's bag is like this. Extra bad is that his bag and pushcart are also color-matched to his black and neon green Callaway Epic driver cover.

He looks like such a doofus, luckily for him he's actually a decent golfer.

This is what his bag was this time last year, now he’s full titleist. Swapped his woods, irons, wedges, and putter for titleist stuff despite playing well with his callaway stuff. He’s a 66 year old “single digit handicap” that shoots 90ish when he plays with me or my brother.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Cobra driver, Taylormade 3 and 5 wood, cobra 5-G wedge, Vokey 54 and 58, Boccieri Heavy Putter, whatever cheap, light carry bag I happen to buy.

And, let me repost this monstrosity I used this summer on vacation:

PXL_20210702_115447078 by B. B., on Flickr

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TITLEIST TITLEIST TITLEIST TITLEIST

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

TITLEIST TITLEIST TITLEIST TITLEIST

Penalty, too few men on the field. No putter shown.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Playing with my friends is fun because I can't even see their clubs through all the SWAG headcovers they have.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

*pulling out my 1980 taylormade 7 wood with duct tape around the grip to cover the dry rot* watch me pipe this poo poo

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
2 Yonex drivers, Yonex woods, Controller hybrid 2-iron, Tommy Armour 3-SW, and a Walmart Odyssey 2-Ball knockoff. Bag pocket's full of mostly Maxfli Reds and a few Pro V1s in there too. :shrug:

It's 63 out today and sunny on the Treasure Coast, the sun is keeping it pleasantly comfortable outside and I have to work :negative:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Weedle posted:

*pulling out my 1980 taylormade 7 wood with duct tape around the grip to cover the dry rot* watch me pipe this poo poo

This is my buddy that has a beat to poo poo persimmon 3 wood, we call it 'billy' and he can drop it exactly 205 yards within a 10 yard circle without fail for the 5 years I've played with him. Whatever works.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I have the Costco wedges in my bag. I feel no shame.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
in order of most recent to oldest
TM sim driver, 56 degree TM wedge, random 5 wood, Callaway 3 iron, iron set from the brand 'RAM' through a friend, second hand putter

I wanted to buy a new iron set for the last two years but I've been lazy with it since I still hit decent with them. I'm mostly waiting for something to break before I get it upgraded.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
While we're on the topic of old clubs, if you ever have the opportunity to play with hickory irons and persimmon woods, I'd highly recommend it.

I played Colonial Country Club last year with a set of hickories and persimmons and it was such a fun experience. I was honestly surprised how well I hit them given that the "driver" head size was so small, but when you hit one right you can really feel it. We got to play the course about 3 weeks before the PGA Tour came through so it was playing pretty tough but those clubs performed so much better than I thought.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

This is my buddy that has a beat to poo poo persimmon 3 wood, we call it 'billy' and he can drop it exactly 205 yards within a 10 yard circle without fail for the 5 years I've played with him. Whatever works.

Sometimes guys find a club that just works and it's great.

Joel Dahmen carries a $40 hybrid his caddy bought him on ebay after the (same) hybrid he'd been using broke.

Still has the original shaft in it, complete with stickers on the shaft.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Weedle posted:

Truly aspirational.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Weedle posted:

mods??

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Tossing my hat in for the clubs game

All of my gear was bought on clearance.

Taylor Made M4 driver 10.5* that I have turned to 11*. Irons are a package set of Callaway X Series 2018 4-PW and a 3H, wedges are the Kirkland Signature 3-piece wedge set (52, 56, 60). They're actually not bad clubs at all for the price. The bounce is a little high but for the price I'm not complaining. Putter is a Taylor Made White Smoke Big Fontana. A club I bought sight unseen because GolfTown had a brand new one on clearance for like $50.

The iron set I think were the best deal in the bag because they were already on clearance for $150 at a big box store and I signed up for the store newsletter and got 10% off of that to make it like $135 for a full set of irons brand new.

I do think about getting new clubs, or getting fitted for new clubs, but really it's not the clubs that are holding my game back, it's me.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Not feelin' this look Brooksie.

https://twitter.com/ANTIFAldo/status/1486484526746546176

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

I'm flying down to Houston for a long weekend to escape the Detroit winter. I get to play GC of Houston, Tour 18, and Longwood GC. Even the mid 50s there is going to be heaven after waking up to 1*F this morning.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

xsf421 posted:

I'm flying down to Houston for a long weekend to escape the Detroit winter. I get to play GC of Houston, Tour 18, and Longwood GC. Even the mid 50s there is going to be heaven after waking up to 1*F this morning.

You may already have everything lined up but if this was my trip, I’d 100% drop Longwood and play Gus Wortham instead. Longwood is in decent shape right now but Gus is secretly the best course in the city. People will say it’s Memorial but they’re wrong.

Edit: I live in Tomball and have a membership at Tomball CC (calling it a country club is definitely a stretch though) but if I lived closer into town I’d play Gus every week.

Daric fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 27, 2022

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

This is actually genius. All he has to do is stand near the green and nobody can see the flag because of the gleam off of his head.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

You may already have everything lined up but if this was my trip, I’d 100% drop Longwood and play Gus Wortham instead. Longwood is in decent shape right now but Gus is secretly the best course in the city. People will say it’s Memorial but they’re wrong.

Edit: I live in Tomball and have a membership at Tomball CC (calling it a country club is definitely a stretch though) but if I lived closer into town I’d play Gus every week.

Playing Longwood because it's free (my dad works as a ranger there). It's the last one of the trip, and he wants me to see it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

xsf421 posted:

Playing Longwood because it's free (my dad works as a ranger there). It's the last one of the trip, and he wants me to see it.

Ah gotcha, well then have at it. It's in the neighborhood next to mine and I use their driving range a lot. It's certainly better than it's been but, as I'm sure your dad can attest, the freeze hit them pretty hard and they were already set to sell off one of the 9s before that even happened.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

Ah gotcha, well then have at it. It's in the neighborhood next to mine and I use their driving range a lot. It's certainly better than it's been but, as I'm sure your dad can attest, the freeze hit them pretty hard and they were already set to sell off one of the 9s before that even happened.

I got him to swap it for Wortham, he admitted Longwood probably isn't worth our time even for free.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

xsf421 posted:

I got him to swap it for Wortham, he admitted Longwood probably isn't worth our time even for free.

Awesome! You'll love it. It's one of the very few courses in Houston that has some actual movement, it's got a great history (it's the oldest continuously operating course in Texas and there's a tunnel off the 12th hole that connects to Howard Hughes's old house that he'd use to get to the course without anyone seeing), and it's in amazing shape right now.

Let me know what you thought afterwards.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Texas Golf Meetup Now

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

ElGroucho posted:

Texas Golf Meetup Now

I actually do this with a different group that I'm a part of (the No Laying Up message board) and we spent 2 days at Pine Dunes in Frankston, TX last year which were maybe the most fun 2 days I've ever had playing golf. We're doing it again this year. It's 36 players (men & women) split up between Houston, Dallas/Forth Worth, and Austin/San Antonio playing against each other in team formats. We played 36 holes on Saturday doing Best Ball and Alt-Shot, then 18 Singles on Sunday and it was amazing. Pine Dunes also basically gave us the run of the course because we were staying on site so we had chipping contests at 10pm on the 18th hole because it's right outside the rooms everyone stays in so people who weren't participating were able to hang on the balconies and watch.

Pine Dunes is a serious hidden gem in Texas. It's not easy to get to but it's so worth it.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1487594889357533187?t=MGqmHWqhHHNUQ3aI2Cddig&s=19

:argh:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Wooooooooow

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

He's gonna win a major or two in his career... But wow that's a brutal way to lose.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Lol at the 57 handicappers on Twitter analyzing his putting stroke.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daric posted:

Awesome! You'll love it. It's one of the very few courses in Houston that has some actual movement, it's got a great history (it's the oldest continuously operating course in Texas and there's a tunnel off the 12th hole that connects to Howard Hughes's old house that he'd use to get to the course without anyone seeing), and it's in amazing shape right now.

Let me know what you thought afterwards.

Update two days in, tour 18 was neat as hell. Gc of Houston we left 5 hours into the round on the 14th tee.

Gus at 8am tomorrow unless we get rained out.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

xsf421 posted:

Update two days in, tour 18 was neat as hell. Gc of Houston we left 5 hours into the round on the 14th tee.

Holy poo poo that’s an awful pace. GCoH can definitely be slow but I’ve never played it that slow.

Gus tomorrow should be much faster.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

Lol at the 57 handicappers on Twitter analyzing his putting stroke.

You don't have to be Spieth to know what absolutely lovely putting looks like, I see it firsthand all the time

Remember this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo6AKG-LIEM

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders

ElGroucho posted:

You don't have to be Spieth to know what absolutely lovely putting looks like, I see it firsthand all the time

Remember this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo6AKG-LIEM

Got drat!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I'm pretty sure I just played the worst 3 hole stretch of my life

Hit a good tee shot. Sent one slightly over the green. Chipped to about 12 feet out of the rough. Three putted. Double.

Hit a screamer tee shot. Fatted a sand wedge approach (I've never done this before). Hit a decent 60 degree but pulled up about 20 foot short of the hole. Three putted. Double.

Hit a slight pull tee shot - found its way directly next to a tree, no shot except 90 degrees onto the fairway. Blocked a 7 iron onto hard rough. Thinned the wedge way over the green. Hit a nice lob that hit the fringe and died. Three putted. Triple.

Just an astonishing amount of bad shots in such a short stretch.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

man that is a rough stretch but this in particular

abigserve posted:

Hit a nice lob that hit the fringe and died.

would have me thinking out loud about roof testing my bag and every single club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

xsf421 posted:

Hope you got to play Gus before it started raining yesterday