Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I want Akshay to carry through his momentum and take it. I donít think he can hang with scheffler though.

Rickie Fowler to come out of nowhere with a mental game that surpasses all, ending with a putting duel from 40 feet with Scheffler, where they both miss and it's high tension, anime ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Very cool. I had a similar reaction to you on te arai north. Super jealous you played Kidnappers though.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
The beginners golf fitting session was very productive. From the fitter's assessment my current clubs are actually stiff and not regular flex, or at least a very very stiff regular so not that good for me. He addressed my elbow concerns and showed me how my poor technique was causing strain and showed me how to avoid it, and just like that the elbow pain was gone, both during and after the session. He gave me some feedback on my swing and on things I should work on for a while. He figured out my flex, grip and shaft lengths. We tried a bit of driving, of course that wasnt very productive but at least we got a good length and loft. I was also fitted for a putter and tried several until I found one that felt really good.

After that he told me to return my clubs if I could since it wasnt worth it adjusting them and once I found a few listings with my specs he would let me know what was the best pick. I found 5 that matched the description and he picked a Callaway Rogue X with 5-GW, a +.5" KBS90 max shaft, midsized CP2 wrap grips with some life left in them. They were a bit more expensive but this is a complete set with no further adjustments needed. All in all, a very positive experience and I feel it was worth it at $150.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I was hitting my first bucket of range balls today here just north of Columbus when the eclipse rolled through. I was a mile or so inside the edge of the totality zone so it didnít last super long, but the range lights came on for a few minutes at least. It was neat.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Iíve been playing on the TrackMan simulator at least once a week since November, taking lessons, watching videos, practicing some feels at home. Yíknow, doing everything youíre supposed to do. Iím routinely shooting in between 38 and 45 on the sim, hitting fairways and greens pretty regularly.

Played my first round outside today. Itís like Iíve never swung a golf club in my life. Driver slicing everywhere. Chunking irons. Thinning chips. Just absolute loving trash. My league starts next Thursday, and Iím so disheartened.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Just got back home from Augusta. That place really is amazing. We walked the front nine, ate some food, walked the back nine in reverse, saw a bunch of guys out, hit up the store, and made it back outside for the eclipse (The Masters provided all patrons with branded solar viewing glasses), which was wild. All in all we walked 7 miles, ate many sandwiches, and managed to only spend $550 this time.

Pics to come once I get them off the camera

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Those masters eclipse glasses will be a once in a lifetime collectors item

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah that's really cool. I'm jelly.

Got a pic of the glasses? That's a legit novelty item. Hold on to it. May never be worth anything but it's a genuinely interesting curio and keepsake.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Took that one in the car; I can take more if needed

ETA: I'm kicking myself for not snagging a few more pair on our way out

Omne fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 9, 2024

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My new clubs arrive next monday and the weekend will be sunny at 80f, this is bs

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Omne posted:

Took that one in the car; I can take more if needed

ETA: I'm kicking myself for not snagging a few more pair on our way out

It was a really cool day to be out there. I mentioned in the Masters thread that for a couple hours around the eclipse the weather was absolutely perfect. Still 80 and cloudless but without any of the heat.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Has anyone here purchased clubs for a little kid? Like 6? My daughterís been doing a golf class for a few weeks now and at least says she wants to get her own set, and Iím happy to indulge her if thereís a chance she sticks with it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Us Kids or TopFlite if you are buying with the 50/50 or worse odds they'll lose interest. Flynn if you think they are committed. Ping if you're wanting to also financially flex via your kid's equipment, and Flynn shafts in full adult higher end heads if you want to try and lawnmower parent their way into the lpga.

My 6y/o has a set of TopFlites because they were pink and purple and apparently she inherited my adhd and can pay attention for 30m max of a 90m class.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Had my first ever round with a random guy. We were both singles, and infront of him were 4 juniors taking ages. So I just joined him.

Once I got my nerves out the way of playing with someone I never met before, it was quite an enjoyable experience.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Oodles posted:

Had my first ever round with a random guy. We were both singles, and infront of him were 4 juniors taking ages. So I just joined him.

Once I got my nerves out the way of playing with someone I never met before, it was quite an enjoyable experience.

I play as a single 100% of the time. It's nice seeing the spectrum of players, both skill level and backgrounds of guys.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

torgeaux posted:

I play as a single 100% of the time. It's nice seeing the spectrum of players, both skill level and backgrounds of guys.

The course I play isnít busy enough to force singles to go into groups. Normally I like just playing on my own and chilling to music. Plus, I think Iím garbage so not comfortable playing infront of people I donít know.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I suck so Iím much more comfortable playing either with my friends or on my own, but every time Iíve ended up playing with strangers itís actually been a really good experience.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just got back from Pinehurst. We played 4 rounds on the cradle (par 3 course) the first day. I played really well, got at least 1 birdie every time through, with a bunch of pars. Was feeling good.

Then we went out and played #8 the next day and I was immediately humbled. Just an incredibly difficult course. And I am absolutely not good enough to play on greens so firm and fast that itís like putting on a pool table, where if you end up putting 5 feet past the hole itís going to end up rolling 40 feet off the green. Still, hit a lot of good shots, the place was beautiful, had an awesome time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
My Tuesday round at fossil trace was the highs and lows of stranger golf. Three young guys, very likeable. But, they all play together, never with anyone else. They stand behind each other on the tee box to watch ball flight, aim advice. They stood directly behind me, too, to "help". And it stopped bothering me because it was such good will.

I never give advice (other than, " dogleg left, trouble right, misses right come back, etc...) and I could have cut ten plus strokes from their games with just strategic shot choices. They had one swing speed, 110%. Five feet off green? Full cut with laid open 60 degree wedge. Never once had any calculation of risk reward. But, they had a lot of fun, and never any regrets. Fun round.