Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
So drat picturesque, thanks for sharing. I suppose the $9 beer helped subsidise your green fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That’s about what they cost at Pelican Hill when I was there last year, just south of LA. Torrey was much more affordable and a much better course. I’m hoping to go back this winter for a week with my brother and play some more courses on the coast.

The par three 11th hole on my home course was ~120 to the pin tonight, with a pond right in front of the green. I was in the final group to play it and hit a full PW which is normally my 140 club, because we were playing directly into a very strong wind that is bringing some storms our way in a bit. Stuck it 10 feet from the hole and was the only name on the Closest to the Pin sheet for the night, meaning nobody else out of ~40 players hit a shot anywhere near the pin. Three of the four people in front of us put their balls into the pond and the fourth would have if he hadn’t pulled it so far left that he missed it completely. Wind is fun.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

torgeaux posted:

How usual has music on the course become?

Common but people usually ask first

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ironlung posted:

Common but people usually ask first

They really acted like they were alone...they were friendly enough, asked course info a lot, but never stopped speaking for me to hit, talked business quite a bit.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

I'll play music, but only if I'm in a foursome with friends that I know don't mind it. That's really the only time it's ok to do something like that on a golf course.

No it isn't. There are other people on the golf course too.

Playing music on the course is loving lovely and I hate that all the new carts come with USB outlets to make it even easier to do so.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

No it isn't. There are other people on the golf course too.

Playing music on the course is loving lovely and I hate that all the new carts come with USB outlets to make it even easier to do so.

Relax grandpa. I'm not blasting music that would be loud enough for anyone outside of 10 feet away to hear. I obviously would turn it off if anyone else was nearby.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

RCarr posted:

Relax grandpa. I'm not blasting music that would be loud enough for anyone outside of 10 feet away to hear. I obviously would turn it off if anyone else was nearby.

This. If I'm playing w/ guys I know, I'll play music for us, but just loud enough for us to hear in the cart. I'll immediately turn it down if any other groups are near me.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
yeah, within the group only but play lots of NWA and 2-Live Crew if you see some old people.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
On the flip side of this golfers who are thrown off by the slightest sound or movement happening in their eye sight are annoying as poo poo to play with.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Summit posted:

On the flip side of this golfers who are thrown off by the slightest sound or movement happening in their eye sight are annoying as poo poo to play with.

Yes. I have a guy I play with a couple times a year. Good guy, but jesus sensitive. I don't mind common background noise, even low conversations. On the other hand...

Cannot stand noise that begins when I'm over the ball. Clean your ball, put away your clubs, start a conversation after I'm done. Don't walk behind me or through my line of sight when putting. Just be considerate.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I had the exact reverse of my round last week during league. Last week I was even through 6 and bogied the last three. This week, I started off bogey, bogey, bogey, and then parred the last 6. I made a 12 footer on the last hole for par which was a much better way to end than three 3 putts.

My last hole was a short downhill par 3 that's reachable off the tee, but get's fairly narrow with OB and water in play. I normally just hit a 6 iron off the tee and hit a wedge in. The hole plays downhill quite a bit too. Aim for the 150 stake and....hit the 150 stake. Lost like 25 yards of roll I bet!

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Hit a 330 yard drive today and made an easy birdie.

Thanks, gale force wind!

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I was about 20 yards short of the green on a downhill 350 yard hole tonight, also playing downwind. Made par. Last night we had to use my partner's tee shot and I hit a 6i from 191 to about 8 feet and made birdie. Golf!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Tee time? 10:03. 4 ball with prevous tee time still chatting on the tee box, fairway clear. At the turn? 1241. No marshals on course. Call pro shop, ask for marshal because of slow play. "Well, we have three marshals out, and we have no reports of slow play. When was your tee time? 1003, it's been 2 hours and 40 minutes, and we still cant tee off on 10. We have been loking for a marshal. Okay, we'll send a marshal out.

An hour later, a marshal arrives, coming from behind us, so he went from hole 10 to 11, then 12. "I haven't found a hold up." The hold up is in front of us, not behind us. I called an hour ago. Well, i haven't seen any open holes. Yes, angry now, they would be in front of us, not behind us. Ok, well I haven't seen any issues yet.

Jesus loving christ. I had to stop after 15, at 4 hours 25 minutes because it was close to the clubhouse. How loving dense can that marshal be?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Reminds me of my round last Saturday. Teed off at 4pm, paid the 18 hole cart fee. Carts are supposed to be in at 8pm, official pace on the scorecard is something like 4:15 and based on past experience, we figured on a Saturday night we'd be able to cruise around and finish under 4hrs no problem. Dude working in the pro shop agreed.

Of course it took us 2:45 to finish the front nine due to us encountering every slow player stereotype imaginable. We never saw a marshal. As expected the back 9 opened up and as we were coming up 16 a little before 8pm, we finally see a course employee in a cart making a beeline at us. He came out specifically to bitch at us for still having the carts out. I told him that it took us almost 3 hours to play the front and maybe if they were as diligent about enforcing pace of play as they are enforcing the cart deadline, we would have been in on time. He drove away without saying anything, we finished our round at 8:15 and I threw the (very chill) kid working the cart barn $20 and a couple leftover beers.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I have never encountered music on the golf course and didn’t even know that was a thing. I don’t consider myself a golf purist or anything, dress as casual as you want, but gently caress that noise. Wear headphones or something.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

As multiple people have said, if we bring music on the course, we play it at a level where ONLY we can hear it, and turn it off completely if anyone is nearby. I'm not going to some fancy golf course, I'm going to the local county course to get drunk and hang with my buddies for a few hours. If I want to bring some music to play respectfully, I will.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Yeah I mean if no one is around then go hog wild. But if folks can hear it even on another hole I’d say it’s a questionable practice.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/GolfMonthly/status/1007352921166577664

proper conditions, these

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Holy crap!

Laughed at the "2 club wind" comment.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Don't play or no poo poo about Golf but what Phill did was hilarious and golf purist seem pissed.

Also apparently everyone hates how they set up this course.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

A Man and his dog posted:

Don't play or no poo poo about Golf but what Phill did was hilarious and golf purist seem pissed.

Also apparently everyone hates how they set up this course.

I don't know why everyone gets so angry about the setup of the courses every year like clockwork. I'd much rather see these guys struggle to break even over 4 rounds than another tournament where the winners are in the high minus 20s.

It's just once a year and really brings course management into play more so than other tournaments. Seeing these guys put up numbers you'd see at your normal course from "average" low single figure handicappers is unique. I'm probably in the minority but I think it's pretty interesting.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I'm kinda like uhhh, wouldn't you want the course to be challenging and different to see your actual talent.

Instead, I saw a bunch of rich people bitch?

I thought cocaine guy Dustin Johnson was cool about it though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lol at everyone taking less than driver off the tee yet still missing the fairway it’s like wtf did you expect you asshats you’re hitting a driving iron stop sucking

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol at everyone taking less than driver off the tee yet still missing the fairway it’s like wtf did you expect you asshats you’re hitting a driving iron stop sucking

Just gotta take a bit less club for safet... Ah gently caress it watch me blast this wood out of the fescue.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

My summer golf season may be over. I can't lift a five pound weight from my waist to over my head without my right shoulder failing.

Going to the doctor tomorrow or Thursday to get it checked out.

This isn't a golf injury, it's a soccer one for the record. Landed awkwardly a month ago and have felt some discomfort since and then aggravated it this past weekend trying to block a shot before the game and hyper-extending my shoulder a bit.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Shrapnig posted:

My summer golf season may be over. I can't lift a five pound weight from my waist to over my head without my right shoulder failing.

This isn't a golf injury, it's a soccer one for the record. Landed awkwardly a month ago and have felt some discomfort since and then aggravated it this past weekend trying to block a shot before the game and hyper-extending my shoulder a bit.

Find a good physical therapist.

I did something similar to my shoulder playing basketball a few years ago. I let it go for a while since it wasn't affecting my golf swing at first, but eventually I couldn't finish a full backswing and I'd randomly wake up with a searing pain in my shoulder from sleeping on that side.

MRI said partially torn supraspinatus. Doctor wanted to do some surgery, which would have been expensive, painful, no golf for 6+ months, and no guarantee that it'd actually work. Instead, I found a PT that knew his poo poo and saw him once a week, plus did the stuff he told me to every day, and 4-5 weeks later my shoulder was 100% back to normal and has been ever since.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Sucks mate :( Hope it improves, I hate missing out on golf due to injury.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Shrapnig posted:

Sorry, and was actually going to post if anyone has personal or anecdotal stories coming back from shoulder injury after what I've been dealing with in regards to golf.

Not to steal your thunder from what you encountered, but it sucks. In my case, I'm in my early 40's fell on ice and basically broke the end of my humerus in three places. A plate, 16 screws, 8 inch scar and 4 months later it is still sore as gently caress. Thank god my rotator cuff wasn't damaged otherwise they'd have to go back in.

But yeah, it is humbling not being able to lift a jug of milk to head level with your good arm. Best of luck, I wouldn't wish this on anyone and these injuries are about the worst to come back from.

Good you are getting it checked out because it won't fix itself.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I messed up my rotator 20 years ago. Can't reach behind me and lift any weight at all (think reaching into backseat of car). But, no impact on my golf. None visible to me, anyway.

Had exhilarating/frustrating round. Putting lights out all day, but never sank one. Multiple putts from 25+ feet, all great putts, none went in. Sank a few six footers for pars, but the result of bad approaches not putts. 18th hole, 50 footer, creases the edge of the hole, stops 18 inches past. Hit not one bad putt all day. But, 6 over on the front, one over in the bak. Could not hit fairways off the tee, then couldn't miss.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I think I'd rather have a lovely round due to putting than missing fairways. Not being able to hit a tiny cup is better than not being able to hit a vast area of grass in front of yourself. Plus nothing feels like a bigger waste of a round than a lovely score where all your putts are dropping or lagging super close.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

I think I'd rather have a lovely round due to putting than missing fairways. Not being able to hit a tiny cup is better than not being able to hit a vast area of grass in front of yourself. Plus nothing feels like a bigger waste of a round than a lovely score where all your putts are dropping or lagging super close.

I don't know where I fall on that spectrum. Of the three areas, drive, approach, putt, approach is the most important to scoring, but also the one I have the least issue with. Not that I'm particularly good at it, but it's rarely where my problem is on any given day.

Putting is normally neither help nor hurt, not good enough to make me happy, not bad enough to make me mad. Approaches are normally the same. But, some days, I'll make good contact, but be offline all day, some days can't hit the center of the club off the tee, and then days like today's front nine: Flat pulls all over the front nine, 6 fairways hit on the back 9, hit both greens on the par 3s. The one missed fairway was a flat pull on 11, but made a good approach to save it.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Not sinking putts is frustrating no doubt but nothing kills the spirit like shanking it off the tee.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My trademark move to crush a sweet drive past everyone else and then duff the next 3 shots on my way to a double. :smith:

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Talking about consistency, I took a look back over my handicap history that Golf Australia supplies as part of the handicap system we run. I started playing again just under 2 years ago after not playing outside of a handful of times for 15 years. Got my handicap after my 4 qualifying rounds at 25.8 and am now at 13.2.

One of the big struggles I have had over that time is consistency started off shooting around a 95+ average and am now down to shooting ~80 my biggest issue now is to stop the collapses I have late in rounds as I am turning what should be a comfortable 5 to 8 over off the stick into a 13 or 14 over off the stick due to late round collapses.

In my last 4 rounds I've thrown away $90 in Pro shop vouchers on 2 holes both par 4s where I was on in regulation with a makeable birdie putt that I've gone into 3 stab. It's gotten so bad that I can be playing a 9 maybe one or 2 over off the stick and just totally screw up simple par 3 or 4 that nerves really take over and I lose all my confidence over the ball and expect to hit a bad shot rather than trusting my swing that got me into a good position.

I'm curious if this is just a mental hurdle I need to get over to make that jump into being a consistent single figure player or if it's just late round mental/physical fatigue.

Going back to scramble chat I've playing in ambrose at my club this Saturday, first one since I've started playing again with a group of guys I've never met before. Should be interesting to see the scores posted and what the guys I'm playing with are like and if they take the piss that I'll have to call them out on. Hopefully they are honest golfers like I am and not bullshit artists that will be unpleasant when I call them out on something.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
https://imgur.com/a/336oIRP

Nothing like a nice stroll around the driving range. He must have been out looking for his friends, I was told they removed 16 gators from the pond next to the range :(

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
The gator lost his golfing buddies :saddowns:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dimebag posted:

Talking about consistency, I took a look back over my handicap history that Golf Australia supplies as part of the handicap system we run. I started playing again just under 2 years ago after not playing outside of a handful of times for 15 years. Got my handicap after my 4 qualifying rounds at 25.8 and am now at 13.2.

One of the big struggles I have had over that time is consistency started off shooting around a 95+ average and am now down to shooting ~80 my biggest issue now is to stop the collapses I have late in rounds as I am turning what should be a comfortable 5 to 8 over off the stick into a 13 or 14 over off the stick due to late round collapses.

In my last 4 rounds I've thrown away $90 in Pro shop vouchers on 2 holes both par 4s where I was on in regulation with a makeable birdie putt that I've gone into 3 stab. It's gotten so bad that I can be playing a 9 maybe one or 2 over off the stick and just totally screw up simple par 3 or 4 that nerves really take over and I lose all my confidence over the ball and expect to hit a bad shot rather than trusting my swing that got me into a good position.

I'm curious if this is just a mental hurdle I need to get over to make that jump into being a consistent single figure player or if it's just late round mental/physical fatigue.

Going back to scramble chat I've playing in ambrose at my club this Saturday, first one since I've started playing again with a group of guys I've never met before. Should be interesting to see the scores posted and what the guys I'm playing with are like and if they take the piss that I'll have to call them out on. Hopefully they are honest golfers like I am and not bullshit artists that will be unpleasant when I call them out on something.

Do you add up your score while you play? (Don't add up your score while you play. It gets your mind thinking about stuff it shouldn't)

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

daslog posted:

Do you add up your score while you play? (Don't add up your score while you play. It gets your mind thinking about stuff it shouldn't)

I don't add up as I go but I do know what I am sitting on to my handicap, this might be that I play Stableford in comp most times so it's a little easier to know how you stand 18 points per 9.

The two massive collapses where when my playing partner(different each time) was like wow your only 1 over off the stick for this nine so it gets into my head.

It could just be me hitting a wall in terms of improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dimebag posted:

I don't add up as I go but I do know what I am sitting on to my handicap, this might be that I play Stableford in comp most times so it's a little easier to know how you stand 18 points per 9.

The two massive collapses where when my playing partner(different each time) was like wow your only 1 over off the stick for this nine so it gets into my head.

It could just be me hitting a wall in terms of improvement.

I'm not a great golfers, but check out the book "golf is not a game of perfect". One of the things he writes about is how your mind reacts when you start thinking ahead about your score.