Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Rotten Cookies posted:

Unsure if they have a bunker there. There's only one small picture online, and I haven't actually been there yet, but it looks like there's sand there. Who knows if it's meant to be a bunker.

It was meant to be a bunker but being very close to a playground, obviously was treated mostly as a sandbox. Still worked for practice, just has to use my shoes to smooth out an old sandcastle as best I could.

I'm really going to enjoy having this so close to my home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Halo14 posted:

Christ another happy clapper pro golfer. Why am I not suprised.

Like Shrap said, when the Tour is by and large filled with upper middle class Southern boys it shapes to fit the dominant culture, which is evangelical Protestant GOPism. Hell even the Catholic guys like Spieth get roped into the whole Bible study thing.

It’s why I still like Keegan Bradley, who listens to Howard Stern instead of sermons and is proudly from Not-The-South, his Barstool affiliations be damned.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger having a loving amazing front 9

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Does anyone else think that the system for booking tee times online is awful? I don't want to pay any extra or have to pay anything just to reserve a time.

Stupid Post Maker
Jan 8, 2008

daslog posted:

Does anyone else think that the system for booking tee times online is awful? I don't want to pay any extra or have to pay anything just to reserve a time.

It sucks

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

daslog posted:

My county charges a $1 “convenience fee” for booking online... for each player. If I called the course to book a tee time it would cost me less money. So it costs me more to create less work for their employees. It’s loving asinine.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Last official night my my league tonight, a scramble that required the use of the drive of each player in the 4 at least twice. We wound up tied for first, so we had a putt off on the pub floor and won! :toot: The weather was just perfect for golf tonight

Also they offered for sale their demo clubs so I picked up a 60 Ping Glide for $50. Never hit a lob wedge before but laid up a beauty shot with it on one hole.

Conclusions on the season so far: I'm still terrible, but a little less terrible each day and have some pretty nice shots from time to time. I need more range time, and much more time on the course. If I could stitch together the shots I am capable of I could realistically play close to scratch. LOL the dream that keeps us playing right?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I watched most of Tiger’s tee shots today and several times he swung really hard, had a recoil on his follow through, etc. It seemed like every time he did that, he ended up shorter than Spieth’s tee shot. When he was swinging smoother he was consistently longer than Spieth. I know people have been saying this ever since he started playing again, but he really needs to stop trying to kill the ball. He looked a lot more consistent yesterday and didn’t seem like he was trying to force anything.

It’s funny because I’m doing the exact same thing lately. Last week I watched a high school kid that was hitting his driver extremely well and barely looked like he was putting any effort into it. Meanwhile I’ve been struggling with mine lately and had gradually gotten a wider and wider stance and trying to swing really hard. Wednesday I stood up more and just focused on a wide takeaway and swung at what felt like 50% speed and hit 7/7 fairways and didn’t lose any distance at all.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 7, 2018

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I've recently shortened my backswing and have gained some distance

Sidenote it's been demonstrated that the feeling of swinging the driver at 75% (as compared to going all out 100%) is the net speed difference of literally only 2-3mph

Combine that with likely much greater ball striking efficiency and launch conditions with a "75% swing" and there's no surprise that the real-world results are longer and straighter

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

I watched most of Tiger’s tee shots today and several times he swung really hard, had a recoil on his follow through, etc. It seemed like every time he did that, he ended up shorter than Spieth’s tee shot. When he was swinging smoother he was consistently longer than Spieth. I know people have been saying this ever since he started playing again, but he really needs to stop trying to kill the ball. He looked a lot more consistent yesterday and didn’t seem like he was trying to force anything.

It’s funny because I’m doing the exact same thing lately. Last week I watched a high school kid that was hitting his driver extremely well and barely looked like he was putting any effort into it. Meanwhile I’ve been struggling with mine lately and had gradually gotten a wider and wider stance and trying to swing really hard. Wednesday I stood up more and just focused on a wide takeaway and swung at what felt like 50% speed and hit 7/7 fairways and didn’t lose any distance at all.

Smooth tempo and good contact always trumps power.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Halo14 posted:

Halo14 posted:

Halo14 posted:

Halo14 posted:

Halo14 posted:

Halo14 posted:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
That's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard in my entire life.

*Swings hard enough to rupture vertebrae*

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

240 yard par 3 and Tiger Woods can still get it there with a goddamn 4 iron.

God, pros are just unfair.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

240 yard par 3 and Tiger Woods can still get it there with a goddamn 4 iron.

God, pros are just unfair.

There may be a 4 stamped on the club but who really knows what the specs are. 240 yard par 3s are dumb anyway, give me the 120 yard par 3s where guys have to manufacture a shot.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That pin is also 45 feet lower than the tee and slightly downwind. That's still a massive 4i though.

Justin Rose 5 under through 8 holes, goddamn. Scores today are ridiculous with how soft it's playing, Tiger needs to get hot or he's going to be too far back to make tomorrow interesting.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Thanks. I got burned a few years ago on used balls . . . they painted them and they sucked. Is LGB reliable?
What you're looking for is "recycled" golf balls, which LGB provides.

The painted ones are typically branded "refurbished" or worst of all "refinished".

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

That pin is also 45 feet lower than the tee and slightly downwind. That's still a massive 4i though.

Justin Rose 5 under through 8 holes, goddamn. Scores today are ridiculous with how soft it's playing, Tiger needs to get hot or he's going to be too far back to make tomorrow interesting.

Out in 29, 59 watch is on.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Josh Lyman posted:

What you're looking for is "recycled" golf balls, which LGB provides.

The painted ones are typically branded "refurbished" or worst of all "refinished".

Yeah, this was before it was a big business. They were just "used" balls. And, man the paint came off fast and they were lovely old balls beneath.

Speaking of par 3s, my course has a difficult, but short, 3. Typically, 135 in the front, 160 in the back, but the green is long left to right, short front to back, so distance control is key. Deep bunkers in front, steep backstop behind, but kept thick with rough so the ball won't come back to the green. So, what do they do? Put the pin in the far right, tee box far right which puts a large tree in the line for the tips. The only shot to the hole is a fade, and I cannot reliably fade a pitching wedge/ 9 iron.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

There's a course by me that does the same thing on a par three sometimes; they have two tee boxes for the white/blue tees and when they are on the right box, the only way to hit the green is to hit a big fade. It's anywhere from 130-150 yards but uphill so it usually is a 9 iron for me which I am not good at fading ~15 yards. Thankfully I only play in one tournament there every year and maybe 1-2 other random rounds so it's not something I have to deal with regularly.

I guess Tiger is teeing off at 8:10 AM eastern for the final round, with the final group of McIlroy/Rose/Shauffele going off at 8:50. It's supposed to stay dry here in NY until Sunday night so I guess it'll be a reversal where I watch the golf and then go play in the afternoon. New Adidas BOA shoes just got delivered so I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 9, 2018

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Those BOA shoes were comfy but warm. Can’t see myself wearing them when it’s 90 but they’ll be nice this fall.

Sucks being stuck at work for this final round, should be an exciting finish.

Fake edit to avoid a triple post- “exciting” is not the first word that comes to mind when you think about those last holes in regulation and the playoff lol.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 10, 2018

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

There may be a 4 stamped on the club but who really knows what the specs are. 240 yard par 3s are dumb anyway, give me the 120 yard par 3s where guys have to manufacture a shot.

True, but Tiger plays "old spec" iron lofts, so his 4iron is 25.5* loft. Compare that to Taylor Made's new P790 4 iron which is at 21*

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Finau got the final Captain's Pick if anyone hadn't seen that yet.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

One of the guys on the TXG YouTube video made a comment about people getting less spin on their chips when they use more loft than 54 degrees and I went out and spent an entire evening hitting shots from 0-80 yards with my 54 and it’s blowing my mind. I’ve always used my 58 for everything and am a good short game player, but last night I was getting short chips to bounce once and stop on a dime, which I’ve never been able to do on my home course. When I play courses that have softer greens or that don’t mow them as tight I can stop my chips quicker so I always just assumed it was the conditions preventing me from doing it on my course.

Caveats: last night the course was softer than usual (but I’ve played tons of rounds with the same conditions) and also my 54 and 58 are a year old and my 58 gets used probably 20 times as much so the grooves are definitely more worn. But the feel with the 54 was more solid, and after adjusting to the lower loft I could still hit shots low/mid/high, they just seemed to check up faster than my 58 does.

I think I’m going to order a new 58 just to hit them side by side and see how much of the difference is the grooves. It’s definitely not the only factor because even when these were new I had to play for a bit of rollout on anything under a full swing.

Any of you goons ever chip with different lofts on a launch monitor and see your spin numbers, or run into this on the course?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

We just had out last match of league play on Monday. We ended up placing out of the money by 1.5 points. In a fun twist, my partner was dominating his match, until he shot a 9 on the last hole. Because of that hole, he split his match. The difference in points? You guessed it. 1.5 points.

I don't actually care, but man was he pissed. He blamed it getting dark as for why he shot that nine. I responded that I played in the same conditions and shot a five. :v:

My big takeaway from this golf season is I no longer suck at golf. Now, I'm just mediocre. Dropped from an 18 to a 12 this season. I plan on spending the winter at the gym to build some muscles. I'm hoping that'll fix my power issues next year.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
In a last ditch effort to fix my swing before I quit golf again, I signed up for a series of lessons at Seth Dichard golf schools in Southern NH. I have been pulling the ball, hitting the ball thin and fat, and have all kinds of contact issues. Last year I broke 90 three times, this year my best was around 94. This is really discouraging when I read about all the people shooting low 80s. I'm also paying more attention to the other people in my league that I considered myself to be equal to and I'm realizing that they suck and I suck worse.

Anyway, I get there and after a ten minute interview, they took some video of my swing and we sat down and did some analysis. While I have some faults in my swing, he didn't think I was that far off. To me, that isn't saying much because what instructor is going to say that you have no hope of improvement.

Anyway, the faults.

Too much backswing with my irons. I'm going past parallel.
I swing over the top. This I knew.
My backswing is too inside on the way up, which makes over the top worse.
My back foot isn't coming off the ground until after contact.
I don't bend my knees enough. The arthritis doesn't help this.

He then gave me a bunch of drills to work with. Line up a tee six inches back and one inch inside. Hit both the tee and the ball. This one is really hard for me to do because the way I swing. It's like learning golf all over again he also gave me a gate drill (for my toe hits) and a drill with a pool noodle and an alignment stick (swing over it on the backswing and under it on the downswing).

I've hit a small bucket three times since the lesson 4 practice swings for every real swing and played in the league last night and tied my worst score for the year.

Not ready to give up yet but the results are not encoo so far...

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
If you look at a lot of the top guys on Tour right now there’s quite a few who take a pretty short backswing. I’ve been doing that the last couple of years and my consistency drastically improved.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah shortening your backswing is a massive help.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

Nothing seems to help. Just had a disaster of a range session. Short bucket, doing the drills, and the results are bad. I'm just very frustrated at this point.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

DJExile posted:

I took no lessons this year. All I did was keep my inside arm attached to my body and shortened my backswing and I've shaved about 7 strokes off my handicap.

If I ever figure out my follow through, I'm going to be on tour!

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I went to a Monte Scheinblum clinic this summer and got 4-5 tips for my swing that have been really encouraging but sometimes I'll hit such an awful shot that I might as well have tried hitting left handed. He told all of our group that when you're changing anything with your swing/practicing a new feel that you can't be too concerned with what happens with the ball flight and try to make sure that you're doing the movements to create new neural pathways and muscle memory, the good strikes will come once the feels are ingrained and don't feel awkward. It takes like 3 months to begin to incorporate a new swing feel or something like that anyway so it's highly unlikely you're going to pick it up after a couple range sessions. Not getting tilted over the strike of the ball is hard but what I'll do after every shot is repeat the mantra of "No big, I'm not a professional. I'll try to be a bit better next time". Might be silly but it seems to keep me calm and also quitting when I'm starting to feel tired and lazy has helped too. I'm still bad but my good shots have turned into better shots and my misses aren't quite as damaging as they were to start the year. Good luck Goon Golf Sir.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

daslog posted:

Anyway, the faults.

Too much backswing with my irons. I'm going past parallel.
I swing over the top. This I knew.
My backswing is too inside on the way up, which makes over the top worse.
My back foot isn't coming off the ground until after contact.
I don't bend my knees enough. The arthritis doesn't help this.

4 of those 5 faults I had. It took over a year of semi regular lessons to correct them and I am a lot more consistent now and have a solid understanding of my swing.

I almost gave up completely during this process because everything he was teaching me made no sense. I totally understand your frustration and feeling of hopelessness. Thing is - it's very difficult to change muscle memory and bad habits in a golf swing. You need to decide if you want to go through the tough process building a foundation from scratch or just be content in what you have. Essentially the total cost in dollars for all of my lessons would be equivalent to a new set of clubs. I know now that I made the smarter investment.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
A great golfer can grab the shittiest club out of the bargain bin and hit it pure. Always invest in lessons before clubs.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

So next year, the person leading in the FedEx Cup Playoffs will start the tour championship at -10, and the rest of the field will start between -8 and 0 depending on their standings, and whoever ends up winning the tournament will also win the playoffs. I honestly thought this was satire when someone posted a summary on golfwrx lol. Playoffs are a joke now (see Koepka’s position) and will still be stupid next season it looks like.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Narrow it down to 32 players and then make it match play. There. Playoffs solved.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Yeah, the assumption that golf fans can't comprehend two separate contests at the same time is insane. Don't worry though, MIT helped them come up with this handicapped solution. It must be smart. I can't wait to watch 2019's points leader shoot 80 in the final round to finish 9 shots behind "low gross" and win $15M. It's gonna be exhilarating television.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
is that stupid thing still going on? I quit giving a poo poo about watching golf after the last major.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Keyser_Soze posted:

is that stupid thing still going on? I quit giving a poo poo about watching golf after the last major.

I like them since the strength of the field is very good and you see the top players in contention when previously they’d be on vacation or whatever, I just wish the points for majors were higher and the playoff events a little lower.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Suprfli6 posted:

I like them since the strength of the field is very good and you see the top players in contention when previously they’d be on vacation or whatever, I just wish the points for majors were higher and the playoff events a little lower.

Couldn't all that be addressed by tightening up the regular season and not having gently caress-off October events starting "the season?" People are giving away tickets to the Silverado event in October around here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is an awesome story from over in the journalism thread. Golf Digest single-handedly overturned a murder conviction of an inmate who'd been in for 27 years, only finding out about him because of the golf course landscapes he drew in prison. Guy's never swung a club in his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

So next year, the person leading in the FedEx Cup Playoffs will start the tour championship at -10, and the rest of the field will start between -8 and 0 depending on their standings, and whoever ends up winning the tournament will also win the playoffs. I honestly thought this was satire when someone posted a summary on golfwrx lol. Playoffs are a joke now (see Koepka’s position) and will still be stupid next season it looks like.

lol