Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I don't get why Paddy Reed is so mad about the RC pairings? Of course Speith wanted to play this time with his homie JT, those two probably shared a sleeping bag and fed each other smores as lil' grommets.

Also, it shouldn't matter who you are paired with, adapt and overcome and do whatever it takes for the "team." :colbert:

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24857266/patrick-reed-blindsided-not-being-paired-jordan-spieth-ryder-cup

Yet another reason the Euro's are better at "team" play events and the USA players are more like selfish Tennis brats. Also, once Phil and Tiger are gone and replaced with some kids, expect better team work all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

aren't match play events still pretty rare on this side of the pond too?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Oh man this is terrible

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/golf/107553162/ryder-cup-fan-hit-by-brooks-koepka-tee-shot-loses-use-of-one-eye

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jeez that sucks :(

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I do notice that pros and their caddies don't call fore as often as they should. Commentators are pointing it out lately, definitely a pet hate of the Euro Tour commentators.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

drat that sucks. She was next to the green on a driveable par four though, people on the tee 300 yards away yelling Fore when there’s 50,000 fans there wouldn’t make any difference at all. They let fans get too close at most events in general, unfortunately stuff like this is bound to happen sometimes.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Suprfli6 posted:

drat that sucks. She was next to the green on a driveable par four though, people on the tee 300 yards away yelling Fore when there’s 50,000 fans there wouldn’t make any difference at all. They let fans get too close at most events in general, unfortunately stuff like this is bound to happen sometimes.

Yeah, with the ability of this guys to hit it, its really on the course organizers to make sure the fans are in a safe location. Its tragic but I can't really place any blame on the golfer.

Also Patrick Reed is a real dick.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Suprfli6 posted:

I’ve gone through so many balls this year.

Interestingly, I'm losing far, far fewer balls than a year ago, though my scores haven't dropped dramatically. I guess I'm just finding new and exciting ways to gently caress up.

I took a lesson from a new instructor about 4 weeks ago, and it was far and away the best 60 minutes of instruction I've ever had. We focused exclusively on irons, but the change in my (iron) play has been dramatic in the past couple of rounds. This is the third instructor I've had in two years. The previous two were young club pros, and they helped me accomplish nothing. This guy was a sunburned 50-year-old, and he really knew what to change and how to get me to change it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

While of course I feel bad for the lady for losing sight in one eye, the end of that article talking about her essentially suing the tournament for not protecting her is total bullshit. I'm sure there's something on the back of the ticket to the extent of "you get hit, tough poo poo" as well.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Halo14 posted:

I do notice that pros and their caddies don't call fore as often as they should. Commentators are pointing it out lately, definitely a pet hate of the Euro Tour commentators.
This seems to be relatively recent development, in the last 8-10 years. I don't know why it happened.

Suprfli6 posted:

I feel like I've heard fore from 300 yards away, but it's hard to say whether it would be as audible with crowd chatter. If you're in that position as a spectator, I feel like you should be looking toward the tee box when players are hitting, but really, I'm not sure there's a good solution considering how far offline players drive the ball.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The liability for the course/tournament will be interesting. Yes, there was almost certainly a waiver with entrance. There is also a general waiver when you put yourself in a position to be injured. But, the course/tournament can still be liable if they were reckless themselves. They can't put folks actively in danger and rely on a waiver (they couldn't put people on the driving range during its use, for instance).

I doubt the victim can win, but they'll likely get some token offer to settle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dunno about that, MLB isn't liable for bats and balls and whatever else gets into the stands.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

This seems to be relatively recent development, in the last 8-10 years. I don't know why it happened.

I feel like I've heard fore from 300 yards away, but it's hard to say whether it would be as audible with crowd chatter. If you're in that position as a spectator, I feel like you should be looking toward the tee box when players are hitting, but really, I'm not sure there's a good solution considering how far offline players drive the ball.

Calculate how far a golf ball travels 300 yards with a professional drive vs the speed of sound and if the shout even comes early enough to react. Remember the fore call probably comes at least a full second after the shot is hit. The ball is probably 200 yards away at that point.

This woman was near the front of the gallery so she's maybe 20-25 yards offline? That's not very far when you consider 300 yards and a guy like Koepka who can just hammer the poo poo out of the ball.

Edit: The ropes are also way too close to play on a lot of holes. I went to the Northern Trust this year and it's amazing how close you are to the players and how close the ropes are to average/slightly bad shots.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 3, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Colostomy Bag posted:

Dunno about that, MLB isn't liable for bats and balls and whatever else gets into the stands.

MLB can still be liable...under limited circumstances. They're not generally liable because they'be taken the reasonable precautions, and folks in those seats are facing a known issue. They could still be liable if they, for instance, failed to keep the barriers they do have in working condition and someone relied on that. There's never blanket waiver of all circumstances. Reckless behavior or gross indifference can almost always result in liability.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Calculate how far a golf ball travels 300 yards with a professional drive vs the speed of sound and if the shout even comes early enough to react. Remember the fore call probably comes at least a full second after the shot is hit. The ball is probably 200 yards away at that point.

This woman was near the front of the gallery so she's maybe 20-25 yards offline? That's not very far when you consider 300 yards and a guy like Koepka who can just hammer the poo poo out of the ball.

Edit: The ropes are also way too close to play on a lot of holes. I went to the Northern Trust this year and it's amazing how close you are to the players and how close the ropes are to average/slightly bad shots.
Speed of sound is 343m/s so it would take 0.8 seconds for a fore yell to travel 300 yards. Again, I'm not saying there are any good solutions, but players really need to stop pretending like not saying fore is going to keep their ball from going in the woods.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
In this case I believe he overshot the green and hit her right? So even from where he was standing it would have been hard to tell that it was going into the crowd.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

torgeaux posted:

MLB can still be liable...under limited circumstances. They're not generally liable because they'be taken the reasonable precautions, and folks in those seats are facing a known issue. They could still be liable if they, for instance, failed to keep the barriers they do have in working condition and someone relied on that. There's never blanket waiver of all circumstances. Reckless behavior or gross indifference can almost always result in liability.

The NHL was found to be liable years back for somebody getting killed or seriously injured by a puck I believe, and now there are requirements for where netting needs to be. I have no idea what these sorts of laws are like in France though.

E: Yeah, 13 year old girl was killed in 2002 by a puck. Family and NHL settled out of court for 1.2 million, so I guess technically the league or venue were never found to be liable but they probably would have been if it went to court. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brittanie_Cecil

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 3, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

The NHL was found to be liable years back for somebody getting killed or seriously injured by a puck I believe, and now there are requirements for where netting needs to be. I have no idea what these sorts of laws are like in France though.

E: Yeah, 13 year old girl was killed in 2002 by a puck. Family and NHL settled out of court for 1.2 million, so I guess technically the league or venue were never found to be liable but they probably would have been if it went to court. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Brittanie_Cecil

There was a story a couple years ago about how much that hosed Espen Knutsen up and everything he did (and I think continues to) to support and stay in touch with the family. I can't even imagine what that'd do.

EDIT: Here we go, they met in 2010

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 3, 2018

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
My company will reimburse us $250 a year for fitness related purchases and I’m in need of new golf pants. Is Adidas the go to for pants now?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

My company will reimburse us $250 a year for fitness related purchases and I’m in need of new golf pants. Is Adidas the go to for pants now?

I've always been happy with Adidas or UA pants.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Daric posted:

I have like 6 pairs of UA pants that I wear to work/when it's actually cold enough to wear them for golf. Absolutely love them. Get them at the outlet if you have one near you and pay $30-40/pair instead of the normal $80+/pair.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

I have like 6 pairs of UA pants that I wear to work/when it's actually cold enough to wear them for golf. Absolutely love them. Get them at the outlet if you have one near you and pay $30-40/pair instead of the normal $80+/pair.

god yes, this.

Their online outlet seems to have a lot of them as well.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Phil looks so goddamn goofy with his long sleeve button down shirt.

I'm mostly watching to see if Cameron Champ is outdriving guys by 50 yards or dials it back a bit. His swing is so smooth and does not look like 129 mph at all but somehow it is that fast.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
I'm a 3 handicap golfer and finally got my first ever lesson after 16 years of being self-taught, and already picked up about 5mph of clubhead speed via my instructor improving my club path on the backswing, and footwork on the downswing

The moral of the story is everybody get a lesson

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I've got a couple of weeks maybe before handicaps can't be recorded, so of course I shoot my low round of the season.

First round with no neck or back pain in months. Only hit one thin iron all day (an important point that influenced my score greatly).

I was 2 over on the front. I missed one fairway. Hit both greens on the par 3s. Just generally a good driving day.

Back nine, one over going into 18, where I hit a risky drive, but my best of the day. 180 to the hole on this par 5. My one thin hit of the day hits dry land, but not above the hazard line, and back into the water. Double bogey. I typically don't go for the green in 2, but the drive was just perfect.

If I'd been keeping track of my round, I may have played the easy layup on the final par 5, but frankly, I'm glad I didn't know and took the better shot. A 77, and one of those rounds where none of the bogey holes were really bad holes. The kind of round that makes you love golf and keep coming back.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Homestar Runner posted:

I'm a 3 handicap golfer and finally got my first ever lesson after 16 years of being self-taught, and already picked up about 5mph of clubhead speed via my instructor improving my club path on the backswing, and footwork on the downswing

The moral of the story is everybody get a lesson

That's awesome, what is lacking with your swing to make you get lessons?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I had my best day of hitting 8/18 greens in regulation today completely ruined by my inability to stroke a putt, read a green, or get any luck whatsoever with 4 notable lip outs that left me a combined 8 inches of putts to tap in. A bit irritating but other than that i thought I hit the ball pretty well other than a 2 hole stretch where I topped/thinned 4 irons in a row. That's the life of a high handicapper I guess.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
We had the first round of club championships postponed today. Went out anyway and pretty much got rained on in the car park and once I got to the pro shop it had stopped so ended up having a brutal Stableford round, in quite decent conditions, have to love a course built on sand. Couldn't hit a putt to save my life and everything inside 130m was pulled left. Managed the lofty score of 27 points with half of them coming from parring out the last 5 holes.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Homestar Runner posted:

either that or go get a lesson tbh

So I ended up buying a series of lessons with Eric at the Seth Dichard golf school in Nashua NH. I mentally committed myself to practicing only what he wanted me to do. The first lesson start out with 10 minutes of interview, followed by recording some swings on camera and walking through them in slow motion detail. I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone that my dead pulls were caused by an over the top swing with a dead pull with a closed face that matched my swing path. Other things tossed in were a takeaway too far inside, a backswing that went beyond level, a stance that was too tall, and knees that were not bent enough, and standing too far from the ball with my hands too far from my body. On the plus side my stance with and grip are perfect.

Step 1: Fixing the back swing and stance. I spent 15 minutes in the morning every day just working on setup and the take-away.

Step 2: Changing the over the top to something closer to neutral. This required purchasing a bag of 1000 tees off of Amazon, setting up the tees in on an inside to out line, and knocking them all down. I also learned how to read my divots. A Small bucket of balls every day, 4 swings knocking the tees down then 1 swing hitting a ball off the tee with an iron with tees setup on a similar path
Step 3: Fixing the face angle at impact. (yesterday's lesson) Apparently I had developed this bad habit of keeping the face open to match my over the top swing path. My body did this automatically hitting a face/slice is the only way to keep the ball in play when you are over the top. He had me swing a weird bendy pipe semi golf club looking training aid that makes your wrist turn over like they should to get the feel of it. First thing he did was have me hit ridiculous hooks of the tee with an eight iron. Once I could bend it with my eight iron, He then stuck an alignment stick with a pool noodle vertically in the ground 10 feet in front of my target line and had me try to hit the ball to the right of the noodle and hook at around it. First shot went right into the noodle. Second shot went about 250 with a nice draw.

I have a lot more to practice, and I've yet to see the scores improve but I know this is going to be a long process. I've already seen my ball fight and contact dramatically, and I'm hitting a my irons over the green a bit as I adjust to my new distances.

daslog fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 6, 2018

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I'll be curious to hear about the rest of your program with them since I get up there somewhat regularly and have been really unhappy with the lessons I've taken down my way. I suppose there's always Golftec :/

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Popero posted:

I'll be curious to hear about the rest of your program with them since I get up there somewhat regularly and have been really unhappy with the lessons I've taken down my way. I suppose there's always Golftec :/

It's taken me four different places to find a coach that I can work with. Making the right connection isn't easy.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I played the most chaotic, lovely round of golf I think I've ever played today.

I haven't played in a couple weeks and didn't feel good about playing today, 5 pars, 6 bogeys, didn't break 100. gently caress me running. I had no short game at all. If I missed a green it was a 2-3 stroke penalty minimum.

We've had a ton of rain in the Northeast recently so course maintenance is well behind, someone said that we had 21 days of rain in September and the rough is at US Open levels on the course I played today.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Halo14 posted:

That's awesome, what is lacking with your swing to make you get lessons?

Actually I'd been striking the ball well prior to the lesson, especially with my driver / 3 wood / hybrids, but there were a few things that I could see visually on video that I wanted to tighten up.

Specifically, my clubface was getting slightly open-and-inside on my backswing, for which I was compensating by over-releasing the club at impact (whilst not entirely clearing my hips) to prevent the ball going left. As a result, I wasn't compressing the ball as much as I would like, especially with my mid to long irons. So I figured it would be worth bringing in a second set of eyes to see what I wanted to work on, and give me some swing ideas to make it happen.

Now I'm working the clubface into a much squarer position at first parallel, and loading up my right-side better through the top of my backswing, so I have a later release into the ball and more balanced look at impact.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Found my set of foam balls much to my girlfriends chagrin
https://imgur.com/a/hr9WUbH

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Homestar Runner posted:

Actually I'd been striking the ball well prior to the lesson, especially with my driver / 3 wood / hybrids, but there were a few things that I could see visually on video that I wanted to tighten up.

Specifically, my clubface was getting slightly open-and-inside on my backswing, for which I was compensating by over-releasing the club at impact (whilst not entirely clearing my hips) to prevent the ball going left. As a result, I wasn't compressing the ball as much as I would like, especially with my mid to long irons. So I figured it would be worth bringing in a second set of eyes to see what I wanted to work on, and give me some swing ideas to make it happen.

Now I'm working the clubface into a much squarer position at first parallel, and loading up my right-side better through the top of my backswing, so I have a later release into the ball and more balanced look at impact.

Nice. Yeah I always struggled with early release/flip through impact. The Pro told me to have my right hand palm facing the target through impact and release after. I used to have an early release and that simple advice helps get me back on track if I'm not making good contact on the course.

The other essential thought is to keep moving everything through impact. I imagine my hips as the control for the club face. If I stop moving through impact then the club face will be open and it will go right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

Found my set of foam balls much to my girlfriends chagrin
https://imgur.com/a/hr9WUbH

lol this is great

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

If anyone is in the market for one of the best stand bags on the market, the Titleist Players 4 is $89.97 w/FREE SHIPPING (this is extremely important) from GlobalGolf which is a perfectly solid reseller: https://slickdeals.net/f/12109621-titleist-players-4-stand-bag-various-colors-89-97

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

Josh Lyman posted:

If anyone is in the market for one of the best stand bags on the market, the Titleist Players 4 is $89.97 w/FREE SHIPPING (this is extremely important) from GlobalGolf which is a perfectly solid reseller: https://slickdeals.net/f/12109621-titleist-players-4-stand-bag-various-colors-89-97

Looks like they are cancelling the orders of anyone who went in on this. Also no longer listed on their site.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Anyone ever used a Bushnell Phantom gps unit? If so, how do you like it? I went over to my buddy’s house yesterday and Bushnell had given him a bunch to give out as gifts at the Ryder Cup so he tossed me one of his extras.

It has my lovely little home course on it so I’m gonna try it out next week but I don’t know if there’s any tips or tricks I need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Daric posted:

Anyone ever used a Bushnell Phantom gps unit? If so, how do you like it? I went over to my buddy�s house yesterday and Bushnell had given him a bunch to give out as gifts at the Ryder Cup so he tossed me one of his extras.

It has my lovely little home course on it so I�m gonna try it out next week but I don�t know if there�s any tips or tricks I need to know.

My mom got one as a prize from her course in a raffle and she gave it to me because she didn't want it. It's honestly not bad. Basic info to Front/Center/Back of the green, carry distances, etc. It's been pretty accurate the few times I've used it, and the battery lasts quite a while.