Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I played Bay Hill yesterday! Played from the blues which plays 6895, and that's probably 3-500 yards longer than the courses I normally play, even from the tees one in from the tips, and boy did I notice lol. Oh ya, the 15-20mph wind thanks to the hurricane didn't help either!

A tale of 2 nines, or, how I couldn't shake the fact I was playing Bay Hill lol. My short game disappeared for basically the front nine, just couldn't hit an iron. I blame the fact that the driving range was mats only and I just can't do that, just doesn't give me that feeling you need when warming up. That was about the only thing that I was disappointed in, having to hit offa mats when the whole range seemed in perfect condition. If it was a few weeks or a month before the tournament I could kinda understand, but a random week day months away, kinda sucked.

Completely happy with my score though, I know if I played it again I could be down to my regular mid/high 70's scores.

Course is in awesome shape, but man, if you're off the fairway it can punish you. Greens rolled truer than any other course I play in the area. Sand shots killed me as I've suddenly forgotten how to hit outta sand traps so I lost some strokes there.

Dad(Mark) had a great time, he last played it 32 years ago during a work tournament and it def brought back some memories for him. All in all, I'd say it's worth it. We stayed one night at the lodge and the cost split between us was $250 or so, not outlandish considering it's a PGA Tour stop course. I really need to make friends with a member somehow so I can get on without staying lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that sounds and looks fuckin' awesome, glad you enjoyed it

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
6900 yards is pretty long, nice score and even nicer course.

I shot an 83 yesterday which is my second best round of the year and if not for a few slightly misaligned short game shots it could have easily been a 78, but I'm still pretty happy with my play so far to finish the season. I'll probably be a 20 handicap from a 31 at the beginning of the year. The long term goal is scratch but next season I'll be in the teens for sure and maybe even down to a single digit if I practice enough. I've gotten much better at avoiding triple bogies and only having a few doubles to help reduce strokes. My only complaint now is that my driver is a total spray machine at the moment, which in Washington means your second shot is in a massive cluster of huge trees and saving par becomes tough unless you're a short game wizard, otherwise you're hoping for a bogey if you play the rest of your shots correctly. So for my last few rounds driver's only been hit on the massively wide fairway holes and 3W has been the tee club of choice for the most part. Fairways = pars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Washington state or DC?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Washington State. All the courses I play at are all part forest.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Taking my brother in law out for a birthday round of afternoon autumn golf and I am giddy to slice the hell out of some tee shots. This is some perfect weather here.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Gary Woodland shot a 61 in Kuala Lumpur “today,” for this tournament the airing windows are 10:30 PM to 2:30 AM Eastern. So you can watch some Saturday night “prime time” final round PGA Tour especially if you’re on the West Coast.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Rotten Cookies posted:

Taking my brother in law out for a birthday round of afternoon autumn golf and I am giddy to slice the hell out of some tee shots. This is some perfect weather here.

Use my mantra, if you're going to suck, suck quickly.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Didn't suck quickly enough. Had to call it due to lack of sunlight. Had 2 blowup holes, and a handful of very nice shots that I'm super proud of

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Had the Frist round of club championships today, shot an uninspiring 88 for a Nett 5 over 73. Could not buy a putt to save my life, and managed to 4 stab a 6 foot par putt on 18.

It's so frustrating when I'm hitting my irons so well but anything inside 50m is a crap shoot. It's like that line you get from your parents "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed." distilled into golf form at the moment.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Leishman shot 62 yesterday and just went out in 30. He’s -20 after 45 holes. The tour pros are destroying this course. But I cannot stay up another 2 hours to watch the back half of this.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I decided to watch the LPGA KEB Hana Bank tournament tonight as I watched the Astros on my other screen and it's actually been a really good tournament. I'm mainly watching because I have a gigantic crush on Danielle Kang but she's gone a bit off the rails and it looks like it'll probably be one of the Koreans or Charley Hull that ends up taking it. The Golf Channel has been showing nonstop actual live golf with no commercials though and it's awesome.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Today was the last scramble of the year, sad times. Especially because I eagled a par four and it was canceled :(

I put my Cleveland CBX irons back in the bag a couple days ago and regret not doing it sooner. They don’t feel that much different than my J40s but they are so forgiving and even on a mediocre swing they either go dead straight or have a tiny draw. The lofts are pretty jacked but it’s funny being able to tell people I hit a 6i 195 without trying to crush it.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Have any of you guys completely changed your grip? I never had a lesson or anything when I started playing and just used a ten finger baseball grip. Lately I’ve felt like it’s really been a struggle to keep my face angle consistent between swings so my last few rounds I switched to an interlock grip and so far it seems to have helped. It’s easier to grip the club with my fingers rather than my palms and kept a lower grip pressure. I’ve tried this a couple times before but within a few days reverted back to my ten finger grip, and this time I think I’m really going to commit to it.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

Have any of you guys completely changed your grip? I never had a lesson or anything when I started playing and just used a ten finger baseball grip. Lately I’ve felt like it’s really been a struggle to keep my face angle consistent between swings so my last few rounds I switched to an interlock grip and so far it seems to have helped. It’s easier to grip the club with my fingers rather than my palms and kept a lower grip pressure. I’ve tried this a couple times before but within a few days reverted back to my ten finger grip, and this time I think I’m really going to commit to it.

I did the exact thing recently. Went from a 10 finger baseball grip to not quite interlock, but more of an overlap, my pinky on my right hand kind sits in between and on top of my middle and pointer finger on my left hand. I did it initially because I somehow hurt my hand working on my Jeep where I couldn't do my normal 10 finger grip but the overlap grip felt fine. I've stuck with it and it feels completely natural now. No idea if it's helped my game at all, still sitting low single digit handicap, but it at least feels better now.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

When I first started playing I used a strong interlock grip because that's what my dad uses(he's bad, so am I), that was really to compensate for a beginner slice as most of us have. Once I started taking lessons I've shifted to a neutral overlap grip and it's really helped with me being able to consistently hit the ball in the center of the clubface and loosens up my hands and wrists. If I'm having a bad ball striking day my misses are all over the shop but on a good day I know the line the ball will be on.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Frustrating day. One bad shot per hole for the first 9. 7 over. Back nine, had 7 birdie putts, 4 ~10 and 2 20, and one 30. All 7 identical results...great line, excellent pace, none dropped.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

45 and windy today and I shot one under par, I’m really liking the interlock grip and kicking myself for giving up on it too soon the last time I tried it. With the ten finger grip it was harder to keep the club in my fingers instead of my palms and keep the face angle where I want it.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Am I an rear end in a top hat if I take a small range bucket and go to a far away hitting area and practice my 10-20 yard pitches then go out and pick them up again to hit full shots? I did the yesterday at one of the munis and the assistant pro stopped a lesson to walk all the way down to where I was hitting and tell me not to hit balls I haven't paid for. I've done this for years and nobody has seemed to care. Kinda ruined my practice session but I didn't want to make a big scene and ruin everyone else's range time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Dr. Capco posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat if I take a small range bucket and go to a far away hitting area and practice my 10-20 yard pitches then go out and pick them up again to hit full shots? I did the yesterday at one of the munis and the assistant pro stopped a lesson to walk all the way down to where I was hitting and tell me not to hit balls I haven't paid for. I've done this for years and nobody has seemed to care. Kinda ruined my practice session but I didn't want to make a big scene and ruin everyone else's range time.

Depends on the facility. Make a post on their facebook telling them that they suck and go somewhere else.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dr. Capco posted:

It speaks more to the financial state of your muni that the pro stopped a lesson that probably cost $50 to tell you to not pick up balls that cost $5 total.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

Ask in the shop. He may have thought you were just shagging balls someone else left.

At my course, i hit the small complementary bucket you get, and if i have time on my hands, hit the balls left behind by others.... If they told me not to, i would stop, but if someone got ugly about it, I'd stop, and let them know I'm golfing elsewhere.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Depends if it's a safety thing too. Some ranges don't want you going out past the hitting areas at all because you might get hit.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dr. Capco posted:

He'll never be the Pro of a major corporation.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Homestar Runner posted:

The moral of the story is everybody get a lesson

Just played my first round yesterday since a pair of lessons with a new instructor and shot a personal-best 83. I usually shoot mid- to upper-90s. I could count the number of fat shots on one hand (not even including the thumb), when I usually fat it once per hole. My new guy really helped simplify my swing, which really, really helped get mechanics out of my head. That was honestly my number one problem...I couldn’t get out of my own way.

My driver went dead straight, aside for a slight draw on several shots. That itself is insane, considering how long I’ve battled a driver slice. I got some extra roll off the draw, which was appreciated, as my carry distance still is pretty poor due to a short backswing. I was driving about 225...same as the guys I was playing with, but they’re all in their mid-60s. I’m 48 and fit.

Oh, also, I ditched the face-balanced Spyder my wife bought me four years ago for a $110 Cleveland Huntington Beach #11 with plenty of toe-hang. Took about 10 minutes on the practice green to get used to the lighter weight, but I had fewer 3-putts yesterday than...well, ever. I have never taken a putting lesson, but that’s next on the schedule. I mean, I literally bought the putter on my way to the course yesterday.

My two previous instructors were very skilled golfers, but not great teachers. Both were in their mid-20s. I needed a fixer, not a teacher. My new guy is in his mid-50s and has a sunburned face that looks like a catcher’s mitt.

Edit: oh yeah, he also corrected my grip.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 28, 2018

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Cameron Champ cracked the top of his driver as he was warming up for the final round of the Sanderson Farms today. I honestly wonder how long drivers typically last for him since he's getting 190-192 mph ballspeed on most swings. I still can't get over the fact that he's swinging 130 when it looks slower than many other guys. Finau is kind of the same way with such a short backswing yet still hitting it well above tour average.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Suprfli6 posted:

Cameron Champ cracked the top of his driver as he was warming up for the final round of the Sanderson Farms today. I honestly wonder how long drivers typically last for him since he's getting 190-192 mph ballspeed on most swings. I still can't get over the fact that he's swinging 130 when it looks slower than many other guys. Finau is kind of the same way with such a short backswing yet still hitting it well above tour average.

I always forget about that tourney... And I live here! I went a few times when it was the Viking at Annandale and it's really fun and chill. Haven't been since they moved to the Jackson Country Club but that course looks like crap. Not sure why they moved it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Had a couple of unspectacular scoring days this week, but looking at my cards, realized I had 4 sandies in the 2 rounds. Just really nailed the greenside bunker shots. I always end up trying to make good shots instead of safe shots and screw myself, but not this week. It's gonna enforce bad habits.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Cameron Champ's single handedly going to get the golf ball dialed back.

Also my own swing changes from the clinic a month and change ago are finally starting to kick in. My only issue is that I'm making much more center face contact with my driver and irons but my new miss is a high push slice even with a good strike in the face. I've gained a decent amount of distance and seemingly some more clubhead speed with the improved swing. There's a club champion somewhat near where I live so I might make the trip to see if I need a different shaft in any of my clubs, or just get a new set lol. I've gone from 260-270 on a good drive to 285-300 and 140-145 with a 7 iron to 160-170.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

I'd have to imagine that these guys have practice clubs and gamers. Obviously all the same spec and whatnot and they'd warm up with their gamers during tournaments.

It's an interesting question to ask though since they're in a new model driver for the most part every year, how many drivers do they actually go through? Also how many of those 2009 Callaway Diablo Octane 3 woods does Stenson have squirreled away.

Edit: Stenson also uses 5 year old Callaway Legacy Black irons which were mostly Asia exclusive.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 29, 2018

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Apparently Champ had to call his dad to grab his backup for him. Bones or one of the other guys onsite said it wasn’t identical to his gamer. Now that he’s a winner I bet Ping ensures he’s always got a couple spares at every tournament.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Dr. Capco posted:

Did you tell him that you did pay for those? If you paid for a bucket, it should be fine. I do this all the time at my range with no issues. Maybe he just thought you were hitting balls someone left behind?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bryson Dechambeau is going to put with the flagstick in and unattended next year

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Get half a dozen guys doing this in a full-field event (especially dudes as anal as Dechambeau who will literally never deviate from their routine) and it will absolutely slow things down a bit when one person has to have the flag put back in, and then pulled for the rest of the group, and then put in again, etc.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I feel like he's going to science himself out of professional golf before he's 35.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Hopefully it makes him play faster.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Si Woo Kim's Saturday round started thusly: Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Birdie, Quintuple Bogey, back to level par. drat.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I wish they'd make the hole 6 inches and always leave the flag in. :colbert:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Suprfli6 posted:

Get half a dozen guys doing this in a full-field event (especially dudes as anal as Dechambeau who will literally never deviate from their routine) and it will absolutely slow things down a bit when one person has to have the flag put back in, and then pulled for the rest of the group, and then put in again, etc.

THis was my immediate thought when I heard the rule was to speed things up. Too many folks think it's better to have the flag in, and it is only in very limited circumstances. A hole doesn't get bigger by putting a stick in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Another win for BAD. He’s insufferable but he’s got game, can’t deny that.