Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I've already gotten used to golfing in regular shoes, pretty sure changing things up now will gently caress my swing up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmac
Jun 12, 2007
Agreed that their marketing is pretty lame, but the couple pairs of Trues I've had were comfortable and of decent quality compared to many golf shoes. They're worn on tour by a few guys, mainly Ryan Moore, who has some sort of stake in the company. I believe they've gotten away from exactly zero drop in their recent models though in favor of looking cool.

All that said, you might prefer a zero drop trail shoe if you've liked playing in your running shoes. There's really nothing about golf-specific shoes that you have to have, and I don't think spikes are that beneficial personally. I'd also guess that a larger company like Altra probably has more reliable R&D in their designs.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

pmac posted:

Agreed that their marketing is pretty lame, but the couple pairs of Trues I've had were comfortable and of decent quality compared to many golf shoes. They're worn on tour by a few guys, mainly Ryan Moore, who has some sort of stake in the company. I believe they've gotten away from exactly zero drop in their recent models though in favor of looking cool.

All that said, you might prefer a zero drop trail shoe if you've liked playing in your running shoes. There's really nothing about golf-specific shoes that you have to have, and I don't think spikes are that beneficial personally. I'd also guess that a larger company like Altra probably has more reliable R&D in their designs.

Thanks, I'll check that out too. I did order a pair of the TR-01s just to give them a shot.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
When I played at chambers earlier this year I got paired up with this guy who's one of the founding members of the course and is on the board of directors. I asked him about the us open conditions and he told me the usga had told them that they wanted the course to be dry and tough but they definitely did it way more than chambers expected, to the point where parts of the course got severely damaged and led to the entire green renovation project also. Dude ripped on the usga president the entire round and considered him to be a massive piece of poo poo and incredibly difficult to work with the entire time leading up to the major. It sucks because the course is great now but the guy said they'd probably never get a chance at another major because of the usga loving everything up so publically and terribly. Was a pretty fun round listening to this guy tell stories the entire day.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Players complain about hard courses is funny to me. Get over it, millionaire.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bless you, Ian

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter/status/1277325666942357508?s=20

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Petey posted:

I'm looking for zero drop golf shoes. I have been golfing the last few years in my Altras (zero drop running shoes with reasonably good grip but no spikes/cleats) and they are great but don't give me enough traction and I'm noticing it now in my swing. Any suggestions? The first few google hits all look like dad orthopedic mesh bags or vaporware kickstarter garbage. https://truelinkswear.com/shop/ look promising in principle but I am worried they are closer to the latter.
This looks close to zero drop:

https://www.nike.com/t/janoski-g-tour-mens-golf-shoe-XkmtRW/BV8070-100

The Pro/SL is an extremely popular and comfortable shoe both on tour and with amateurs. If you have a local golf store or Dick's Sporting Goods, you should try it on:

https://www.footjoy.com/golf-shoes/men/spikeless/pro%7Csl/006PSL.html

FWIW, I have 2 pairs of Nike Lunar Control 3's in these baller colorways. Bought them back in 2016 when Burlington Coat Factory and Ross got Nike's overstock and cleared them out for $20-30/pair.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 30, 2020

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Thank you very much!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yo those lunar control shoes owwwwnnn if you can find them. I loved mine.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I can't believe I forgot about this. What a ridiculous thing.

https://twitter.com/BrendanPorath/status/1278140954348793856

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anno posted:

that is the most quicken loans thing lmao

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Christ, why not just cut the purse of the tournament by $313k and donate that

Anno
May 10, 2017

Isn't Rocket Mortgage a Rickie thing? I feel like if he somehow does it they should donate $313M or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anno posted:

Isn't Rocket Mortgage a Rickie thing? I feel like if he somehow does it they should donate $313M or something.

They sponsor him, yeah

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Anno posted:

Hell, I'll put up my retirement account too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played the tips today. I always just play with the group. Three twenty something's. After the first.guy, figured I'd be playing first every shot but the tee. Nope. One genuinely good golfer with consistent length good enough for the tips, one guy capable of long balls, but no consistency, and their poor friend who was all over the place and not very long. Makes me wonder about groups like that. They basically played to the best players tees, and it was a.real struggle for the other two.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

one guy capable of long balls, but no consistency

look i'm trying, okay??? :mad:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

look i'm trying, okay??? :mad:

Do you drag.your hapless friends.to the tips? Shame on you!!

Also, how's that ankle post game?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Buying million dollar hole in one contest insurance is cheap. I can't imagine how cheap the insurance on that gimmick is.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Do you drag.your hapless friends.to the tips? Shame on you!!

Also, how's that ankle post game?

Thanks! It was a little stiff on Monday but nothing debilitating so hopefully that's a good sign.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Anyone done lessons this year? Is it worth doing if instructors keep distance? Also may have to book weeks out, I have never seen the courses in CO this full since peak Tiger mania.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unknownmass posted:

Anyone done lessons this year? Is it worth doing if instructors keep distance? Also may have to book weeks out, I have never seen the courses in CO this full since peak Tiger mania.

I can think of like 3 times instructors touched me at all in most of my lessons and most times they can pretty easily tell what you're doing wrong once they see a few swings. I'd imagine you can still get your money's worth in a lesson where the instructor's wearing a mask and staying back from you.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I posted this at the NLU forums but if anyone else wants to give me some feedback on my swing I'd appreciate it.

I purposefully did the "motorcycle move" with my wrists - trying to avoid having an open clubface at impact.

https://gfycat.com/giftedblondfieldspaniel

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 3, 2020

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I posted this at the NLU forums but if anyone else wants to give me some feedback on my swing I'd appreciate it.

I purposefully did the "motorcycle move" with my wrists - trying to avoid having an open clubface at impact.

https://gfycat.com/giftedblondfieldspaniel

I don't get how you struggle to break 100. You have a much better swing than I but I usually hover around the mid 90s right now.

In terms of analysis, and take this with a grain of salt because I'm not great either, but your swing looks a little...stiff. Like you're not rotating enough and/or using too much upper body.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I’ve had a “pretty” swing since I started. It doesn’t mean poo poo unfortunately. Golf is like 4 games in one and if you suck at any one of them you’ll balloon your score.

I’m not good enough to comment on what you should be doing but personally I hate chasing moves, including the motorcycle twist thing. I spent years with a slice chasing fixes like that and it never helped long term.

I’d focus more on understanding why balls fly the way they do and then practice hitting the ball in all sorts of weird ways. If you’re struggling with a slice go the complete opposite direction, close the face your club 45* and see how that feels. Swing your closed face deep inside, then purposefully over the top, then as straight as you can. Just experiment a ton. None of these shots will be great but you’ll start to build on the skill of shaping shots and then when you actually want to hit one straight it won’t feel so mysterious.

It wasn’t until I hit a few ridiculous hooks on purpose that I made any progress on my slice.

Summit fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 3, 2020

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Kirios posted:

I don't get how you struggle to break 100. You have a much better swing than I but I usually hover around the mid 90s right now.

You probably hit it straighter than me. I am great at losing balls in the woods. Also I double bogey a ton.

Summit posted:

I’m not good enough to comment on what you should be doing but personally I hate chasing moves, including the motorcycle twist thing. I spent years with a slice chasing fixes like that and it never helped long term.

Yeah, I have a habit of cupping my left wrist so it was really just to work on not doing that.

It also looks like I'm "standing up" at the end instead of maintaining the spine angle, probably because I'm trying avoid chunking it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Our league finally started last night, cut in half this year to 8 weeks. I hadn't even touched a club since September, and ended up having one of the most me rounds ever. Middling driver/iron play but ended up chipping in once and had 10 total putts and only scratched out a 42. 'Course I was giving 11 and the guy I was playing against shot a 47 :)

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Did a fitting the other day at Golf & Ski Warehouse in NH. Was a really great experience. The biggest issue I had was that I spent the first 45 minutes not doing my real swing...just something psychologically about being in the CPC made me swing at like 85% my on-course speed and with a different angle.

I ended up hitting G410s with extra stiff shaft really well, according to trackman, and they certainly felt great. The thing I'm struggling with now is that the fitter thought my slice was likely based on me usually hitting the toe such that the club face opened, and so prescribed a 2* upright lie adjustment, which for G410s means buying their green dot line. However, we didn't actually test with that since he didn't have any green dot clubs to test with, and I didn't seem to hit differently with the elevated Callaways he did have me try. I'm curious if anyone here has any thoughts on G410s as a game improvement iron (I currently shoot in the high 90s / low 100s with a lot of distance and spin but a nasty habit of going way right into the woods at unpredictable times for reasons I'm trying to suss out) and of the lie elevation tradeoffs.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Goons posted:

Golfshot stuff

I’ve been using a Garmin watch for yardage to green, bunkers, etc, but I’d like to switch to something that will keep track of my shots, including club and distance of each shot, and let me control everything from my wrist (assuming Apple Watch or some such). Will Golfshot do that? Does anything? I don’t want to fiddle with adding Arcos sensors to my clubs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lincoln posted:

I’ve been using a Garmin watch for yardage to green, bunkers, etc, but I’d like to switch to something that will keep track of my shots, including club and distance of each shot, and let me control everything from my wrist (assuming Apple Watch or some such). Will Golfshot do that? Does anything? I don’t want to fiddle with adding Arcos sensors to my clubs.

Golfshot will work with wearables and will definitely show distances on the wearable, not sure how much control from it you'll have. Someone else here can probably attest to it. You shouldn't need sensors on your clubs. I know for a fact you can plug in your typical distances on your clubs so the app will make recommendations.

There's also some hands-free controls:

E: I would also recommend getting a smaller pocket size USB battery charger (I personally love Anker's stuff) because GPS heavy apps like golfshot can definitely eat away at your battery depending on the phone.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 4, 2020

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I’ve been using USwing (formerly SwingxSwing) and I like it a lot. It has the interface that seemed cleanest to me. It has shot tracking. Only caveat is it runs a lottttt better when you’re a subscriber. The ad load for the free version slows it down an unacceptable amount. This seems to be generally true of any ad supported golf tracker.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Summit posted:

I’ve been using USwing (formerly SwingxSwing) and I like it a lot. It has the interface that seemed cleanest to me. It has shot tracking. Only caveat is it runs a lottttt better when you’re a subscriber. The ad load for the free version slows it down an unacceptable amount. This seems to be generally true of any ad supported golf tracker.

How much is the subscription?

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Summit posted:

I got some Arccos sensors recently from their completion program (own a cobra club with a sensor, get the rest for free). I'll be trying them out on Monday, but it's kind of weird that they don't have any sort of club tracking for the driving range.

nerox
May 20, 2001

xsf421 posted:

I got some Arccos sensors recently from their completion program (own a cobra club with a sensor, get the rest for free). I'll be trying them out on Monday, but it's kind of weird that they don't have any sort of club tracking for the driving range.

Arccos works by simply making a gps read when you make a shot. Then it goes back and fills in the information for that shot when you make your next swing.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there one that allows you to tell it what club you’re using?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Arccos knows which club you are using cause each sensor is tied to a specific club.

I have arccos and to be honest I never bother with it anymore. I loved it when I first got it, but there was an Apple iOS system update a few months later and it’s never quite worked right since and I end up having to go in and manually add back strokes.

I emailed support about it and the workaround was like to restart the app every time the app got hung up. I should try it again soon to see if they ever
Fixed the bugs.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

Lincoln posted:

Is there one that allows you to tell it what club you’re using?

Swingu lets me do it with their premium version - I tell it to track a shot, spin the crown on my watch to the right club, then start tracking. It gives suggestions too but mine is still figuring out the range on my clubs but I think you can manually enter them if you have an idea.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

2-3 weeks ago I really started focusing on slowing down and shortening my backswing and keeping my left arm more connected to my torso. Since then I have been hitting the ball more consistent than I ever have, and my distance hasn't dropped at all. Combined with our aerated greens finally healing up and rolling well, and I've been playing the best golf of my life.

Today was the first round of our club championship and despite a nervous 3-putt bogey on 1, I shot a 69. Now I'm carrying an 8 shot lead into the final round tomorrow. I hit one bad tee shot all day (a double-cross on a par 5 which I still made par on), and honestly should have been a couple shots lower with a missed 8 foot eagle putt on the third hole and three other birdie putts inside of 10' that didn't drop. I was paired with the slowest golfer in the tournament and I normally prefer to play quickly, but I felt like I could just step up and hit the shot I wanted to no matter how long I had to wait. I had a lot of fun and can't wait for tomorrow's round. Last year I shot something like 73-77 to win the championship so I really want to finish under par tomorrow which would feel like a phenomenal improvement.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I've talked to a few people about my round today and this was literally the only response I wanted. Thank you.