Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I played my first round in over 2 years yesterday. 4:37pm tee time and the heat index was 100*F. I played okay considering. I drove the ball really well for about 14 holes until I started getting really tired. I even landed it on the green of a short dogleg par 4 that was a 298 yd carry, though to be fair it was moderately downwind. That caused one playing partner to say “2 years? More like 2 weeks” and another to joke “what a hustler.”

My irons were awful and I couldn’t putt, so despite having a fair number of birdie chances, I didn’t make any. I had a few shots in the 30-60 yd range and pretty much chunked them all. On the bright side, both of my greenside bunker shots were okay.

I got a blister on the left side of my left thumb and managed it tear it during the round, which is a testament to the humidity and lack of play. Hopefully it’ll heal up in the next 2 weeks because with bars still not fully open, I need to get out of the house.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It’s so pretty!

Also I got the new golf pride mcc align grip put on it and now I’m gonna hafta regrip all my other clubs because the align part of the grip is awesome.

First round with it is tomorrow!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh hot drat that is lovely

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I use the regular G410 driver and 5 wood and really like them. I have the midsize align grips on my irons/wedges/hybrids and also my 5w currently but am going to change to the non-align version for 5w and driver because if you adjust the loft at all, the align strip will be in a weird spot.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
The practice on the simulator seems to be working...

The bogey on 6 is haunting me. Pin was 235y, hit a nice 2i that went a little too high and didn't release at all on the green, leaving a ~45' putt. Hit it way too soft and left a 5' putt that hit the hole and lipped out.

BCRock fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 12, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

The bogey on 6 is haunting me. Pin was 235y, hit a nice 2i that went a little to high and didn't release at all on the green, leaving a ~45' putt. Hit it way too soft and left a 5' putt that hit the hole and lipped out.

Scorecards are supposed to have way more 5s on them, you're clearly doing something wrong.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus Christ BC

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

The bogey on 6 is haunting me. Pin was 235y, hit a nice 2i that went a little too high and didn't release at all on the green, leaving a ~45' putt. Hit it way too soft and left a 5' putt that hit the hole and lipped out.

Jesus dude!

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Thanks guys. It was also 100* out today, so that was fun.

Now I have to do a streamed round with another buddy of mine while being exhausted and dehydrated, so if you want to watch me shoot a 90, I'll be live in a few minutes!

http://www.twitch.tv/bcrocks

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

BCRock posted:

Now I have to do a streamed round with another buddy of mine while being exhausted and dehydrated, so if you want to watch me shoot a 90, I'll be live in a few minutes!

That's a pretty cool TruGolf setup, is that at your house or somewhere else?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

Fun to watch man, I think you can build on that for sure.

(Get in before the YouTube on course vlogs figure out this poo poo)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

That's a pretty cool TruGolf setup, is that at your house or somewhere else?

I wish I could have this at my house but I don't have any high ceilings and we use our garage, so I've got this set up in a little retail space that I'm renting out for pennies on the dollar because of COVID.

Next step is to promote the stream outside of people in my network and here. Will see how it goes. Regardless of how well it works as a show, it's fun as hell having it to use whenever I want and it's way cheaper than other dumb things I could do (like join a country club in LA).

Appreciate you guys checking it out.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
It's happening again...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

It's happening again...

I dislike you lol

I shot 75 today, new driver working well, need another round or a trip to the driving range to dial it in a little bit more.

It’s my putting that’s holding me back. 31 putts is just too drat many. Too many missed birdie putts that should be made. It’s what I really need to work on to get low.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

How is he shooting negative numbers? That doesn't even make sense.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Simi Hills 3200 yards from the back tees on the front...

That's about the same yardage as my home course lol

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I've shot (1) under par twice on 9 and once on 18. I can't imagine shooting something like 4 under lol.

Also did anyone catch the final round at Muirfield today? Man we've been treated to some excellent pro golf recently, regardless of how hard they try to gently caress it up.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Dr. Capco posted:

Biggest putting advice I got was to get a piece of impact tape and actually see how often you hit the dead center of the putter face. For me I was actually hitting it on the heel so often I thought that's how the putter was supposed to sound on a good hit since I had so few actually in the center. Every time I practice putting I use a piece of impact tape and see where I'm actually hitting it, and it's so much easier to control distance and speed compared to a few months ago.

Man I owe you big time. Got some impact tape and I was striking the ball all over the putter face. Once I came to that realization I spent some practice time just focusing on making consistent contact in the middle and not worrying about anything else. Things have been starting to fall into place now. Game changer.

If you’re ever unfortunate enough to be in north east Ohio and have time for a round pm me and we can play firestone in Akron. You brought my putting back from the dead

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I’ve recaptured the ~10 yards I lost on my driver and irons last year and it feels good.

The secret? I was becoming a total lard, out of shape. I took up bouldering this past fall and it’s been a blast, dropped about 20 pounds and definitely have a lot more strength in my fingers and forearms. Flexibility has improved a tad as well.

As it happens, bouldering is an extremely fun and healthy hobby, I highly recommend it. It has some of the same internal ‘highs’ that golf does for me. I can go and do it by myself at the gym and see real progress every week(pre-COVID), and compete mainly against myself.

Check it out goons.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

dangling pointer posted:

Man I owe you big time. Got some impact tape and I was striking the ball all over the putter face. Once I came to that realization I spent some practice time just focusing on making consistent contact in the middle and not worrying about anything else. Things have been starting to fall into place now. Game changer.

If you’re ever unfortunate enough to be in north east Ohio and have time for a round pm me and we can play firestone in Akron. You brought my putting back from the dead

Nice dude. Glad it helped.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Tony Finau when he takes a full swing: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCgVyy6JBGq/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

206 ball speed and 380+ carry (obviously at elevation but that doesn’t affect ball speed). It would be pretty cool to see a bunch of the other longer guys just decide to start going all out too. Bryson’s accuracy hasn’t changed much with his new driver swing so maybe others will give it a shot too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I can always appreciate long bomb swings but isn't poo poo like this what hosed up Tiger's back or was that something specific?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

dangling pointer posted:

It also works with that white foot spray.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

mattfl posted:

It’s so pretty!

Also I got the new golf pride mcc align grip put on it and now I’m gonna hafta regrip all my other clubs because the align part of the grip is awesome.

First round with it is tomorrow!

I just ordered a 410 3wood with an extra-stiff shaft. I was crushing it consistently at my fitting, felt so nice and consistent with that low center of gravity. Couldn't hit the driver but that's a me thing, not the equipment. Debating getting some of the irons now but would rather buy secondhand and the market is crazy.

Petey fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 14, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The first one was an excellent listen.

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1283232427465474054

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

I finally got around to watching the Shell’s Nicklaus v Snead match at Pebble Beach that’s been in my YouTube recommendations for ages. It’s amazing how different the course conditions are. But when you combine that with the equipment and shorter hole distances, it ends up being a wash compared to the modern game IMO. Seeing how far out on the toe Snead putts with a blade putter is pretty wild though.

I also played a practice round for a Member-Guest tournament that’s in a few weeks and subbed in a league at my home course yesterday. First time off I’ve used since the COVID stuff started and it was definitely over due. I started off with four birdies in five holes in the league, then finished bogey-par-bogey-bogey to shoot 1 under. I really really need to learn how to keep it going when I start off hot instead of messing it up like I tend to.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

That video has been in my recs forever too, guess I'll finally check it out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sam Snead's swing was soooo loving good

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

In my league tonight I started with five easy pars and got frustrated because the guys we were playing both made some birdies, then I finish with 3 birdies in 4 holes to shoot -3. That's a combined 4-under round between the front nine last night and back nine tonight, definitely pretty happy with that. Tomorrow is the high dollar skins night so I'm feeling pretty good going into it.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Tiger, Brooks and Rory :getin:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger fairway on first hole and birdie on first hole.

Pack it in boys, Tigers got this one.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Jesus, what's wrong with Brooks?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger with the kick on birde on 3.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

AndrewP posted:

Jesus, what's wrong with Brooks?

Hasn't played in a couple of weeks and hasn't really been able to practice because his caddy got COVID and they had to quarantine.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Daric posted:

Hasn't played in a couple of weeks and hasn't really been able to practice because his caddy got COVID and they had to quarantine.

Oh yeah, forgot about the COVID thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bryson (who is fat, OP) had a goddamn 423 yard drive off #1 today :stare:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

DJExile posted:

Ya but he had plenty of < 75 yard shots into the green with a wedge in his hand he couldn't put within 10' though

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

DJExile posted:

What the gently caress

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Ya but he had plenty of < 75 yard shots into the green with a wedge in his hand he couldn't put within 10' though

Look, Jozy never had a finishing touch either.

(OK basically only shrapnig is going to enjoy this but gently caress it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

DJExile posted:

Look, Jozy never had a finishing touch either.

(OK basically only shrapnig is going to enjoy this but gently caress it)

I enjoy it, but in reality Josmer Altidore had