Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Finally managed to put up a score in an actual tournament...

Ended up being good enough to win by 3 shots, but there were 2 other guys at -3 thru 14 ahead of me who both made a couple of bogies on the last few holes.

Our club championship is coming up soon and I have to do basically this 3 days in a row to have any chance at winning low gross since my club now has 6 guys who were all former pros that got their amateur status back and another 10 legit +2 to +4 guys who are good for shooting a few under par every time out.

Oh and this guy joined the club recently. He's a 47 handicap, which I didn't think was a thing you could be and he showed up to the tournament today with not one, but TWO caddies. Also not a thing I thought you could do, but I guess it worked because he shot a net 62 to win the B-Flight by 9 shots. Looking forward to hearing the fallout from this one among the club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Men’s handicaps used to max out at 36.4 but USGA raises it to 54 to be more inclusive. Even at 36.4 there’s too much variance for handicaps to be really useful. 47 is out of control and tournaments can set a lower threshold according to USGA rules.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Just an update on Mr. Two Caddies... Our rules chair pointed out after he heard about this that the actual rules of golf only permit a player to have one caddie (Rule 10.3), so instead of winning by 9 he got 36 penalty strokes and didn't win anything.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

BCRock posted:

Just an update on Mr. Two Caddies... Our rules chair pointed out after he heard about this that the actual rules of golf only permit a player to have one caddie (Rule 10.3), so instead of winning by 9 he got 36 penalty strokes and didn't win anything.
HAHAHA YESSSSS

Also
https://twitter.com/pgatour/status/1297686495516663814?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BCRock posted:

lmao owned

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

BCRock posted:

:bisonyes:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

OK fess up, which one of you was this

https://i.imgur.com/haHIy51.mp4

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that ball has to land behind you for maximum humiliation

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

BCRock posted:

lmfao

There's a popular skins league out here that I want to join, but my handicap is dropping every week, and I dont want to be accused of sandbagging. I'm going to wait for it to some what stabilize. I don't want to be the dick that shows up with a 22 HC and scores a miracle 82.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 24, 2020

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Speaking of handicaps

Mines getting dangerously low and I’m not sure how I feel about that. I’m playing some of the best and most consistent golf I’ve ever played right now. I really should try my hand at some local tournaments or something.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rest in power :rip:

What do I replace it with friends

E: oh duh I’ll just get a new shaft lol

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 24, 2020

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

ElGroucho posted:

lmfao

There's a popular skins league out here that I want to join, but my handicap is dropping every week, and I dont want to be accused of sandbagging. I'm going to wait for it to some what stabilize. I don't want to be the dick that shows up with a 22 HC and scores a miracle 82.

Net skins are awful.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I took the Cobra F9Driver recommendation from this thread and I am really enjoying it. Thanks!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

My shiny one length 3H finally came in! Got one length all the day down to gap wedge. Now I just need to wait for the one length cobra mim wedges to go on sale and my transformation to the dark side will be complete.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I’ve never actually gave one length irons much thought. Do you set up at address exactly the same from wedge all the way to 3H for a full swing? That would gently caress me up so bad.

Also get a driving iron the same length, it’s the same length as the other clubs, it’ll be easy to pure!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

dangling pointer posted:

I’ve never actually gave one length irons much thought. Do you set up at address exactly the same from wedge all the way to 3H for a full swing? That would gently caress me up so bad.

Also get a driving iron the same length, it’s the same length as the other clubs, it’ll be easy to pure!

Correct, I address the ball the same with my 3H and my gap wedge. It...takes some getting used to, but the consistency is too good for me to ignore.

I want to try the driving irons, but no one near me has the "utility" irons available to try. So, I get to be an old man and rock two hybrids for now despite having swing speeds in the mid 90's for my irons.

rohoku
Jul 9, 2014

Kirios posted:

Correct, I address the ball the same with my 3H and my gap wedge. It...takes some getting used to, but the consistency is too good for me to ignore.

That's such a wild concept. What is the shaft length? Comparable to a normal 3H or a 6iron or so?

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr
Any routines people keep to when there’s no driving range to warm up on? Took way too long to feel comfortable this morning

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Willzilla posted:

Any routines people keep to when there’s no driving range to warm up on? Took way too long to feel comfortable this morning

Find somewhere to stretch and swing a mid-range iron for a bit to get limbered up. Get some putting in if there's a practice green. Go with something easy off the 1st tee that might not get it far but you know you can reliably keep it straight and in the fairway. You're probably not going to play your best on the 1st or 2nd hole but just concentrate on staying out of trouble and you'll find your rhythm sooner than you may think.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
So, was there any way to actually watch the Champions Tour event live? I can start at 4 today (6 eastern) but the tournament is over. Tried yesterday, but it was the Women's Open repeat until 430, then delayed coverage.

Wanted to watch Phil play a shorter course with just three rounds to compete, and he did not disappoint, but saw none of it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Willzilla posted:

A speed stick helps, too. One of those bendy shafts with the weighted ball.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger and Bubba in the same group today AND are featured groups? Yes loving please

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Nice, thanks for the reminder.

Looks like Tiger's first drive carried ~325y and Bubba's only carried ~310y... Let's go.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

BCRock posted:

Nice, thanks for the reminder.

Looks like Tiger's first drive carried ~325y and Bubba's only carried ~310y... Let's go.

Bubba had more roll out though, so, Bubba > Tiger ;)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bubba with the birdie at one, he's been playing really really well lately.

Tiger misses birdie

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Bubba almost drove the green on #11 lol

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Surprised the announcers haven't said anything about the actual straight-line distance to the green on #11, or how much downhill it is. All I've heard them say is that the wind is a little helping off the right, but a bunch of these guys are coming real close to driving the green @ 395y...

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Ran into my golf kryptonite. Slow play. I cannot have a good scoring round when we have to wait for every shot. 4:45. Ugh.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Ran into my golf kryptonite. Slow play. I cannot have a good scoring round when we have to wait for every shot. 4:45. Ugh.

Same! Nothing puts me out of the game more than pulling up to a tee box and seeing a group just about to tee off or even worse multiple groups on the box.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

This course, seems hard lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mattfl posted:

This course, seems hard lol

I can’t imagine what I’d shoot there with the scores, or lack thereof, these guys are posting. Tiger is +8 and I wouldn’t say he’s out of it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ok so after snapping my 3 wood on the roof of a golf cart that I didn’t realise was so close, I’m gonna take it to get reshafted but my question is: should I even bother reshafting a Callaway Edge beginner wood or should I spend a little bit more and get an upgrade? I’ve been peeping callaway preowned but I’m not sure how much better the epic/rogue/steelxr are comparatively for it to be worth the extra money

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

In terms of a cheap fairway wood I absolutely loved the Rogue. You can't go wrong for sub 100 dollars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ok so after snapping my 3 wood on the roof of a golf cart that I didn’t realise was so close, I’m gonna take it to get reshafted but my question is: should I even bother reshafting a Callaway Edge beginner wood or should I spend a little bit more and get an upgrade? I’ve been peeping callaway preowned but I’m not sure how much better the epic/rogue/steelxr are comparatively for it to be worth the extra money
Don’t bother reshafting. You can literally get something better from Callaway Preowned for cheaper.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm starting to think it would be a miracle for me to shoot sub 100 on this course. This is masochistic.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kirios posted:

I'm starting to think it would be a miracle for me to shoot sub 100 on this course. This is masochistic.

What course, dude?

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Took a quick peek at the leaderboard after I saw Tiger was +10, figured he was in or near last place.

Leishman is +27 :eek:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

As a relatively newer poster to this megathread, do y'all ever do WITBs? I'm really curious what everyone else rocks around here.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kirios posted:

As a relatively newer poster to this megathread, do y'all ever do WITBs? I'm really curious what everyone else rocks around here.

Not in a formal way. Comes up piece meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

ElGroucho posted:

What course, dude?

Olympia Fields Country Club. He’s talking about the tournament going on right now where everyone except the leader is over par.